• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya shits all over Kotaku

GorillaJu

Well yes. Denying that just tend to prove blinded love for the country or ignorance.

So not agreeing with your heinous racial judgment must mean one is ignorant, or just brainwashed. How is this helpful at all? It's fucking shameful, dude.

All I know of japan is my ex's experience from it and basically every japanese scowled at them and put on fake smiles.

Hearsay but *shrug*

Well, hearsay is about as far as it goes – been here three years and only once been "scowled at" without deserving it – better than I can claim for my time in LA! Maybe your ex had a habit of wearing particularly strange clothing, smelled of shocking odor or talked extremely loudly in public. And I've lived in both the middle of Tokyo as well as the sticks, where your next door neighbor was a few rice fields away.

I lived in Yokohama for a year. The picture I am using as an avatar is right near Tokyo Tower.

There are people like that, but it's sort of like cherry-picking Joe Arpaio and saying all Americans are racist. Though I will say I faced more racism in the American south, where I have lived almost all of my life and I self-describe as a southerner, than I ever have in Europe or Japan (though English people sure are fast and loose with the word "Paki").

But using anecdotal evidence of what you've experienced is sort of silly when you're trying to brand someone else as racist simply because you believe everyone of that race is. That's really silly.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Go fuck yourselves. You don't have a brain cell to share between you. You deserve to be shit on by that moron, heck you probably get off on it.

I'm outta here.

Lol...Why are you so angry and taking things so personal, Mr Now Banned Guy?

Bossun

Do you live there or have had any experience to support your statement?

I do not live there (for now, though I intend to if I can). But I've been there more than a few times.
I studied Japanese language and culture for four years at uni.
Keep in touch which Japan news daily.
Have a few japanese friends too.

And don't misunderstand me, I absolutely love the country, but I don't blind myself.

I know their history, I know the results of the recent election for PM. I know what the PM said about foreigns policies.
I know about the raise of nationalism in the country.
I know how they also treat the american army in Okinawa, with blown out of proportions event almost daily ( And I'm not even American or pro-army for that matter). Though I admit that might be a bit different, doesn't change the fact that you can still see the racism oozing out of the comments.

Being wary and cautious of strangers is part of the way they are educated.

Edit : How is that shameful to say that some people are not perfect? Seriously. Stop being so politicaly correct and see the world as it is.

zroid

Banned
I know their history, I know the results of the recent election for PM. I know what the PM said about foreigns policies.
I know how they also treat the american army in Okinawa, with blown out of proportions event almost daily ( And I'm not even American or pro-army for that matter). Though I admit that might be a bit different, doesn't change the fact that you can still see the racism oozing out of the comments.

But whether or not you've experienced racism in the country, or believe racism is a part of their cultural fabric (which seems dubious), labeling an entire population as "generally racist" is pretty awful.

People are individuals, whether Japanese or otherwise.

I do not live there (for now, though I intend to if I can). But I've been there more than a few times.

And don't misunderstand me, I absolutely love the country, but I don't blind myself.

Edit : How is that shameful to say that some people are not perfect? Seriously. Stop being so politicaly correct and see the world as it is.

Removed because I don't care. This post does border on parody, though.

GorillaJu

It is shameful to equate calling someone racist, and saying is "not perfect" for starters.

Everyone, in every society is wary of strangers, because that's one of the tenets of evolution - to trust your own judgment and the people close to you before you trust the judgment of others.

Studying Japanese in University for a few years doesn't give you the credibility required to make such a huge statement as "in general they're pretty racist." That is a huge accusation, and in itself is racist.

Honestly I can't even begin to navigate your nonsense. Better back out before I get myself banned.
KuGsj.gif

Hope my insight was helpful for the others here.

Bossun

But whether or not you've experienced racism in the country, or believe racism is a part of their cultural fabric (which seems dubious), labeling an entire population as "generally racist" is pretty awful.

People are individuals, whether Japanese or otherwise.

Figure of speech. Of course I don't put all Japanese in the same basket.

This is very true. Sometimes you get people who are out to make a statement, when there's nothing really to base it on. Just because they're far from home and feel the pressure of a culture that doesn't immediately accept them, they feel ostracised and alienated. It's always very difficult to reason with them as well, like they really want to believe that they're being racially discriminated against. I wonder if it happens in other countries/cultures too, or if it's just something about Japan...
Truth bomb, right there.

HoodWinked

Japanese (in general) are pretty racist? Big news at 11....

It's not even that they are racist, it's just that they think everyone else beside them is wrong, or doesn't know what they are talking about. Sadly they are incapable of taking criticism outside of themselves (and even..)
They are like that for everything in their life.

Their first excuse, if it's possible, will always be "gaijin fault".

thats like everyone on the internet

zroid

Banned

Right. And if you consider it honestly, there are a lot of places in the world that could be described as at least as xenophobic as Japan. Like, in Alberto's example, the American south, which obviously has a reputation as such.

But we don't go and say southerners are generally racist, because that's a terrible attitude and unfair to the people who live there.

Giran

I may be a bit biased because I don't have much respect for Kamiya as a person, or at least his internet persona, but if what the guy a few pages back (RIP btw) quoted, then he definitely went over the line. I mean, imagine if the shoe was on the other foot and someone from CDPR tweeted something along the lines of "those stupid fucking japanese are at it again" or even japs. Whether they're semi-joking or being provoked, that's just unnecessarily rude and offensive.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
You should probably call it, mate. Folks like odd_morsel have been kind enough to humour you up until now. He appears to seriously know his stuff, whereas you do not, so perhaps spend at least a few years living somewhere and properly trying to integrate into a society before making sweeping generalisations.

There are people like that, but it's sort of like cherry-picking Joe Arpaio and saying all Americans are racist. Though I will say I faced more racism in the American south, where I have lived almost all of my life and I self-describe as a southerner, than I ever have in Europe or Japan (though English people sure are fast and loose with the word "Paki").
Not sure what crowd of "English people" you're acquainted with, but just for the sake of the thread, it's only ignorant or troubled members of the population that use this term.
The rest of us are just rude in general. No one is safe, not in the US, not in Europe, other parts of the UK, or even our own north and south divide!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I may be a bit biased because I don't have much respect for Kamiya as a person, or at least his internet persona, but if what the guy a few pages back (RIP btw) quoted, then he definitely went over the line. I mean, imagine if the shoe was on the other foot and someone from CDPR tweeted something along the lines of "those stupid fucking japanese are at it again" or even japs. Whether they're semi-joking or being provoked, that's just unnecessarily rude and offensive.
Sorry to double-post, but it wasn't "those idiot foreigners" in the first place.
It was "some idiot foreigners", "these idiots foreigners", or even more specifically "this stupid foreigner".
He only targeted the ones giving him hassle.

Bossun

Right. And if you consider it honestly, there are a lot of places in the world that could be described as at least as xenophobic as Japan. Like, in Alberto's example, the American south, which obviously has a reputation as such.

But we don't go and say southerners are generally racist, because that's a terrible attitude and unfair to the people who live there.

Every place has racism, but you don't feel it the same way everywhere.
I'm currently living in Thailand, and even though I'm sure there is racism, still it's not the same feeling at all then when you are in Japan.
And even though there are very few openly racist in Japan, you can feel it, feel the looks and the fear a lot more than in every country I have ever been (and that might be around 30)

And it's not the same mentality too, in Japan being as everyone else is considered above everything. Being a Gaijin or half, obviously you are going to be standing out. And they just don't like that.

You know, you take things (and a lot of people on NeoGAF) way too literally. It's just a way of talking. Nobody says "well I think a part, exactly 33,33% of the French population are smug, snobbish bastards". You just say "French are rude", doesn't mean you think all the population is rude.
Same way Americans like war and guns. Obviously wrong, but we still say it like that.

Sou

Do you seriously not see the tremendous hypocrisy in your argument? You're all over Kamiya for making what you allege are racist/xenophobic statements and in the same thread -- even in the same post -- you make derogatory, blanket statements about the Japanese game industry and Japanese online users.

I'm sorry, but where have I done that?

I said "Even the usually anti-foreigner Japanese online users are saying this is too much."

There is a group of online users in Japan, although a small percentage of the whole, who are notorious for being extremely right wing. Studies have shown that unemployed young people as a result of the recent economic problems of Japan, are continuously drawn to this group to express their anger and blaming their social problem on foreign influences.

The 2ch and game related sites are notorious to be a place where this group of users congregate. My statement was not a generalization of the online users as a whole. I am saying that the group of Japanese users who are usually anti-foreigner, are coming out of the woodwork to say that what kamiya is doing is too much.

My other statement about how this degrades the image of the industry here as a whole, are sentiments expressed by this group of users, and I agree with them. It is not my view of the Japanese games industry. But Kamiya as a member of the industry here, saying stuff like this, is very similar to what that one guy at GDC a while ago said about Japanese games. It creates a bad impression no matter how you want to spin it.

In the end, my objective was not to generalize, but unfortunately no matter what I say will be taken as generalization as how most Japan threads turn into. All I wanted to get across is that people are not interpreting what Kamiya said truthfully, and that he has managed to sway even the anti-foreigner group of users.

Monocle

To anyone who thinks the word "gaijin" isn't derogatory, you need to spend a few months in Japan and listen closely to what context its said under. It's ALWAYS derogatory, and the fact that he wrote it in Japanese just shows what a piece of shit coward he is. This guy is trash and if you still follow him after he blatantly showed that he thinks all non-Japanese people are 'idiots' then well, you deserve everything you get.

On another note, the way he talks is VERY reminiscent of 2ch, and anyone of you who has been there knows just how racist those posters are on a regular basis.
Kamiya just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but politeness and social etiquette are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful even if you're racist. If you behave rudely in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is everyone who's not Japanese, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase anything Kamiya has worked on, nor will they purchase any of Platinum's future games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Kamiya has alienated an entire market with this move.

Kamiya, publicly apologize for saying "gaijin" on Twitter or you can kiss your career goodbye.

Caesnd

There is a group of online users in Japan, although a small percentage of the whole, who are notorious for being extremely right wing. Studies have shown that unemployed young people as a result of the recent economic problems of Japan, are continuously drawn to this group to express their anger and blaming their social problem on foreign influences.

This is very similar to the turn of events in many western countries. Still, it wouldn't hurt to give people here a chance to read these studies as well, instead of referring to them in a very offhand manner.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Every place has racism, but you don't feel it the same way everywhere.
I'm currently living in Thailand, and even though I'm sure there is racism, still it's not the same feeling at all then when you are in Japan.
And even though there are very few openly racist in Japan, you can feel it, feel the looks and the fear a lot more than in every country I have ever been (and that might be around 30)

And it's not the same mentality too, in Japan being as everyone else is considered above everything. Being a Gaijin or half, obviously you are going to be standing out. And they just don't like that.
Is this the fucking Discovery Channel or something?

Seriously, you're just imagining/misinterpreting "the looks", and the fear is no one's but your own. Please just deal with it and stop insulting people.

Edit: Monocle - nice, but you're a tad late ;)

d0c_zaius

Kamiya just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but politeness and social etiquette are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful even if you're racist. If you behave rudely in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is everyone who's not Japanese, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase anything Kamiya has worked on, nor will they purchase any of Platinum's future games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Kamiya has alienated an entire market with this move.

Kamiya, publicly apologize for saying "gaijin" on Twitter or you can kiss your career goodbye.

lol your absoluteness is hilarious. people will buy his video games regardless, because most people dont give a shit about twitter or any of this nonsense.

or you are sarcasm trollling etc etc etc.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
lol your absoluteness is hilarious. people will buy his video games regardless, because most people dont give a shit about twitter or any of this nonsense. my experiences in japan have shown me the complete opposite of your quote.

or you are sarcasm trollling etc etc etc.

Oh My God.

Someone should make a NeoGAF History Book and force all clueless members to read it or something, hahaha.

d0c_zaius

Oh My God.

Someone should make a NeoGAF History Book and force all clueless members to read it or something, hahaha.

dudes are you late to this topic? I'm not making any assumptions at this point (seriously some "actual" posts have been bordering on insane).

edit: so this is a FF13 quote meme? oh...call me clueless GAF member #143554545. I should have known?

" 神谷英樹 Hideki Kamiya ‏@PG_kamiya

Endless idiot... RT @ATL_PRiNCeSS: damn u cute boo, lemme suck dat asian dick u got :)"

this is a recent tweet. Wonder why he could call people bad words...

more final edits: anyone thats been following him knows that his already changed his tone. I'm sure he got some flak for all this, hopefully people can move on and remember that he makes good video games, and feeds trolls.

Monocle

Is this the fucking Discovery Channel or something?

Seriously, you're just imagining/misinterpreting "the looks", and the fear is no one's but your own. Please just deal with it and stop insulting people.

Edit: Monocle - nice, but you're a tad late ;)
I just saw. ;_;

You know, the original post still makes me laugh every single time. That "I'm an expert" part is my favorite thing on NeoGAF, no contest.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
dudes are you late to this topic? I'm not making any assumptions at this point (seriously some "actual" posts have been bordering on insane).

edit: so this is a FF13 quote meme? oh...call me clueless GAF member #143554545. I should have known?

You ain't a real member yet if you don't know the origin of what is arguably the most famous meme ever displayed in GAF, hahaha.

It even managed to get in Persona 4, hahah.

d0c_zaius

in my defense I'm drunk and in crunch, but I will read that whole thread (and play p4).

and another Kamiya recent tweet:

神谷英樹 Hideki Kamiya ‏@PG_kamiya

Do I have to love all people including idiots? RT @tdaniel101: why are you rude? I lost some respect for you. Do you hate Americans?

In the past I tweeted Kamiya in Japanese making it obvious I was a foreigner and he was very kind and respectful in his replies. However when I see his casual use of language that could clearly be construed as xenophobic, if not racist, I lose a little respect for the guy. It cannot and should not be explained away by contextualisation; he is educated and worldly enough to know better. I live in Japan btw.

mclem

I'm sorry, but where have I done that?

I said "Even the usually anti-foreigner Japanese online users are saying this is too much."

Oh, you're actually saying that it's true that *those* Japanese online users who *are* anti-foreigner are saying it? Y'see, at a glance it looks like you're implying that *all* japanese online users are anti-foreigner.

Perhaps it'd be more convenient to add in a word making it clearer you're referring to a simple subset rather than all.

I suggest "Some".

DJMicLuv

I once asked my Japanese ex "Do you think Japanese people are better than everyone else?" and she answered "Of course!" with a look that said "Why? Doesn't everyone?"
It looked and sounded like racism but she was such a lovely and loving person that I got the impression that even though she genuinely felt as if Japanese were universally better in every way to 'gaijin' it didn't actually mean she felt she had the right to treat us as inferiors. It was the cutest racism I've ever come across and, in my case, she had a point because she was probably the most intelligent person I've ever met.
My other experiences with Japanese people socially have always been fun and I've never met a Japanese person who I took a dislike to or who was anything other than friendly, courteous and kind. The females were usually charming, funny and somewhat devilish at times and the males were either self consciously cool but friendly or endearingly geeky. There didn't appear to be a lot of ego involved. Of course there are some arseholes out there in every culture and race but, personally, I've always got on very well with any Japanese person I've had any dealings with.
If Japanese people are inherently racist then it doesn't seem to come out in a malicious way. They might take the piss out of 'gaijin' and secretly think we're all a bit inferior but it never seems to effect the way they treated me.
I don't really care that Kamiya called ONE person a gaijin - the word doesn't really matter, it's the intent that matters and I don't think the intent was particularly malicious.

demidar

I once asked my Japanese ex "Do you think Japanese people are better than everyone else?" and she answered "Of course!" with a look that said "Why? Doesn't everyone?"
It looked and sounded like racism but she was such a lovely and loving person that I got the impression that even though she genuinely felt as if Japanese were universally better in every way to 'gaijin' it didn't actually mean she felt she had the right to treat us as inferiors. It was the cutest racism I've ever come across and, in my case, she had a point because she was probably the most intelligent person I've ever met.
My other experiences with Japanese people socially have always been fun and I've never met a Japanese person who I took a dislike to or who was anything other than friendly, courteous and kind. The females were usually charming, funny and somewhat devilish at times and the males were either self consciously cool but friendly or endearingly geeky. There didn't appear to be a lot of ego involved. Of course there are some arseholes out there in every culture and race but, personally, I've always got on very well with any Japanese person I've had any dealings with.
If Japanese people are inherently racist then it doesn't seem to come out in a malicious way. They might take the piss out of 'gaijin' and secretly think we're all a bit inferior but it never seems to effect the way they treated me.
I don't really care that Kamiya called ONE person a gaijin - the word doesn't really matter, it's the intent that matters and I don't think the intent was particularly malicious.

He also used the word "some", implying there are gaijin that he's fine with or likes. OH THE HORROR WHAT A RACIST.

Lotta reading comprehension missing from detractors far as I can see.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I just saw. ;_;

You know, the original post still makes me laugh every single time. That "I'm an expert" part is my favorite thing on NeoGAF, no contest.
Hehe, don't get me wrong. It was a fine redux and gave me a chuckle in its own right =)

My favourite part is the opening line. Never gonna take that expression seriously again.

Kotaku publishes a sensationalist, offensive article singling out a dude for a Twitter comment.

Kamiya responds in a way that's mildly offensive at best and does it on Twitter.

It's not really surprising that people are pissed at what he said, but everyone really needs some thicker skin.

Curufinwe

You are going to call people out of their minds and not even explain yourself?

It was a disappointing and frankly rather pathetic contribution. Kamiya's remarks weren't any more offensive than the negative comments about "Europeans" that frequently come up on the 8-4 podcast.

Top Bottom