• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith Soft Discuss Their Closer Relationship With Nintendo

Malvingt2

Info about it:
- mission is to massively increase the amount of personnel at Monolith Soft
- looking for designers with skills in 3DCG, effects and motion
- Monolith Soft have realized just how important it is for a team to work closely together
- the number of meetings between Nintendo and Monolith Soft has increased greatly
- Nintendo have been actively consulting on their work and providing feedback
- Monolith Soft say they’re amazed by Nintendo’s ability to work and think together
- they believe it’s a major asset to producing quality products
- this has inspired Monolith Soft to do the same with their studio
- the team is making people feel included by asking programmers who aren’t often in talks with designers, for ideas
- concerns some of the staff had about the idea of moving to Kyoto is now a thing of the past
- the devs are working closely the toge]her, almost as a family, to make great games

Full article:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/08/monolith-soft-discuss-their-closer-relationship-with-nintendo/

Glad that Nintendo is that close to them.

javac

I remember someone talking about how they are glad monolith aren't 'nintenofied' or something lol.

This is good news.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Pretty sure we already had a thread about this on GAF.

SmokeMaxX

I'll probably buy their game just to build my WiiU library. Anyone who has the balls to support Nintendo gets my sale. Oh yeah, I should go buy that Trine game....

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
really? I searched and nothing...

dont worry it happens alot, alot of people on here are douchey and use some random thread title for news or miss out key words so if you search it misses the thread. very annoying

MrT-Tar

I'll probably buy their game just to build my WiiU library. Anyone who has the balls to support Nintendo gets my sale. Oh yeah, I should go buy that Trine game....

Monolith have been first party since 2007. IIRC Nintendo now own 96% of them (after purchasing 80%, and then later 16% from Namco). However, things like Baten Kaitos and Disaster (which was announced pre-purchase) illustrate that they were close to Nintendo in the immediate years before the take over though.

SmokeMaxX

Monolith have been first party since 2007. IIRC Nintendo now own 96% of them (after purchasing 80%, and then later 16% from Namco). However, things like Baten Kaitos and Disaster (which was announced pre-purchase) illustrate that they were close to Nintendo in the immediate years before the take over though.

Ah. Whoops. The more you know lol. Well, I'll buy it if the reviews are good then (which is likely due to being owned by Nintendo). I'll also buy it if noone else does because I really like what Nintendo is doing. Getting tired of the mentality of better graphics = better game.

So it took only about 6 years to realize that the 80% Nintendo bought of Monolith Soft should be put to good work by basic organizing and meetings? What do third party developers get? A card for christmas with seasons greetings and another hint what to expect from the Wii-U hardware?

Monolith Soft should be treated much more like Sony treats Naughty Dog or the Santa Monica Studios. That might cost a bit more at the start but will result in even better games, money for both, "fame", ...

sublimit

Banned
Everything sounds fantastic in that article.I'm glad Nintendo works closely with them and helping them to take the maximum advantage of the hardware.Xenoblade was a technical marvel for Wii's capabilities and i don't think it would have been possible to achieve without the close collaboration between Nintendo and Monolith.
Hopefully they will reach even greater heights in terms of quality with X.

GC|Simon

Great to here that they are doing fine. I hope Nintendo learns their lesson and expand heavily internally instead of working with unreliable gaijins from other publishers.

sublimit

Banned
Great to here that they are doing fine. I hope Nintendo learns their lesson and expand heavily internally instead of working with unreliable gaijins from other publishers.

Indeed.Sony learned this lesson the hard way this generation so i think it's about time for Nintendo to start heavily investing in first party studios as well.
You just can't rely on third party publishers anymore.

It was in the 3DS concept art/project thread, where StreetsAhead provided some translations from the interview.
Cool that explains why I hadn't heard this before. There wasn't a thread for it... News buried in other threads don't count.

This is awesome news BTW, it means that the different dev teams can share assets and help each other out. Hopefully we'll start seeing faster turnaround on Nintendo games in general.

What does someone's nationality have to do with their sense of loyalty? That's stupid tribal nonsense.

I was kind of hoping Monolith to get a crack at making Fire Emblem with Intelligent Systems, but of course that doesn't sound possible now.

A nice symbiotic relationship between dev and publisher. Hopefully Nintendo can create more, lord knows they need it.

Still ticked about never getting my hands on Disaster though....

qq more

This is great to hear. I need to try out Xenoblade at some point! I have the game but never opened it. Also their X game looks fantastic, I'm looking forward to it.

Kade

Good relationship between the two but it seems like standard fare for a subsidiary-parent relationship.

Top Bottom