• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to install Steam on Linux to get the TF2 Tux item

la_briola

Just got it.
Not Tradable.

HbhzE80.png

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I'll grab it on my laptop later, but every time I try and use Linux for real I run into an error that I can never fix and just go back.

Mista Koo

That Pyro Tux is adorable.

And pay clueless users to not ask their friends/relatives to install a pirated copy of Windows on it when they find it too strange or cannot run some random program/game/whatever they found on the internet.
Do people still install random programs they found on the internet at this age?!

You can install it on any distro provided you know what your doing and ho to install the dependencies. I've been running it in Gentoo since the early beta days.

I mean is it in any of the package managers? the steam_latest.deb is an unrecognized MIME type.

I've used Ubuntu before and had no issues with it, but whatever they've done in the last year or so has resulted in this OS being a piece of shit. It runs so poorly and freezes all the time. I have an i5 with plenty of RAM too

I've used Ubuntu before and had no issues with it, but whatever they've done in the last year or so has resulted in this OS being a piece of shit. It runs so poorly and freezes all the time. I have an i5 with plenty of RAM too

There has been a fairly nasty transition with the newest Ubuntu if you're using an AMD/ATI card. For that there are beta drivers which should make things peachy.

Ploid 3.0

Willing to offer Skrim, Saints row 3, and Dirt 3 for penguin.

People is going through all this trouble for a god damn HAT !?!?

It's not even a hat, it's a fucking penguin!

It not being a hat means I can wear a hat and the penguin at the same time.

jkh13

Neo Member
Until Linux gets the money to pay manufactures to be pre-installed on computers like Windows and OSX, it's not going anywhere notable.

Linux is huge, it is most likely more widespread than OSX and maybe even Windows very soon. Most of the web infrastructure is run on Linux for instance Google uses over 90% Linux based servers. A lot of embedded systems use Linux based OSes such as Android. It is far bigger than people realise.

I spent 2-3 days trying to get ubutu running properly with nvidia drivers without unity taskbar disappearing and stuff.

Follow the instructions here to get your nvidia driver working properly: http://techhamlet.com/2012/11/install-nvidia-drivers-in-ubuntu-12-10/

Once you downloaded Steam and updated, start the Team Fortress 2 download and pause it when it gets to at least 1%.

Now you can copy some files over from Windows.

Files you can copy from Windows OS > Ubuntu

Team Fortress 2 Materials.gcf
Team Fortress 2 Client Content.gcf
Team Fortress 2 Content.gcf
Sourceint.gcf
Source Sounds.gcf
Source Materials.gcf
Source Model.gcf
Source 2007 Shared Materials.gcf
Source 2007 Shared Sounds.gcf
Source 2007 Shared Models.gcf

Once you copied over those files, you can verify the cache.

it's taking forever to install via ubuntu software center... are the servers being murdered right now or something? I don't remember software taking so long to install when I would use Ubuntu before..

edit: oops

edit 2: might as well make use of this accidental double post...

I can't update anything at all in Ubuntu 12.10. it says failed to download repository information.. how can I fix this?

I've tried to switch to my best server in the options

when I do sudo apt-get update, this is what I get:

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/quantal/Release Unable to find expected entry 'universe/binary-1386/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file) E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.*

when I do sudo apt-get upgrade, I get this:
sudo apt-get upgrade Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

edit 3: finally fixed this shit. time to get my penguin

KarmaCow

So is there a 64bit version of steam to download, because I keep getting "wrong architecture i386" error when I try to install it.

Nevermind didnt search hard enough.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
plz remove the section about removing it so people will give linux a chance

:lol if you think people will give this a chance since 5 or so games in their Steam library (most of which are valve) runs on the OS.

HoosTrax

I'm going to try copying the Source and TF2 asset files (the non-Linux specific *.gcf files) from my Windows machine to see how much that cuts down on the download time. The file sizes are identical, and I think any Linux-related *.gcfs are clearly labeled by Valve.

This looks complicated.

I think I'll jut install Ubuntu in a VM and see what I think of the OS. I haven't spent any serious time with Linux since Mandrake in 2004. I look forward to seeing what's new.

Danj

Has anyone tried booting Ubuntu from a flash drive? Anyone who got the game working on an AMD card?

I've heard it's not a good idea to install it on a flash drive, due to the amount of I/O. I've borrowed a rotating platters USB drive from work. Pen Drive Linux's website suggests that you can just temporarily disconnect the internal HDD then run the standard installer to install it to USB.

I've heard it's not a good idea to install it on a flash drive, due to the amount of I/O. I've borrowed a rotating platters USB drive from work. Pen Drive Linux's website suggests that you can just temporarily disconnect the internal HDD then run the standard installer to install it to USB.

Just wondering if it'll work well enough since you can also boot Ubuntu directly from a disc, but I'd rather not waste a DVD just to use it once.

Danj

Just wondering if it'll work well enough since you can also boot Ubuntu directly from a disc, but I'd rather not waste a DVD just to use it once.

OK well I've just tried installing on a USB HDD, I've no idea if it'll work on a USB key (probably not, unless you have like a 64gb one or something) but installing it on USB is easy enough.

WARNING THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE NOT STEP BY STEP, IF YOU ARE NOT SURE THEN PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS, I DISCLAIM ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING YOU MAY GET WRONG

• Boot off your Ubuntu LiveCD/LiveUSB and select "Try Ubuntu".
  • Load a terminal and unmount your target USB drive (it will probably be called /media/ubuntu/volumename).
  • Load the partition manager (it's called "Disks") and delete all the partitions on your target USB drive. Make sure you get the right one and also make a note of its name (e.g. /dev/sdb).
  • Start the Ubuntu installer, then select "Something else" as you don't want to mess with your Windows installation.
  • You should see your target USB drive on there with a bunch of free space, and at the bottom there's a dropdown to select where to put the bootloader. IMPORTANT: change the bootloader setting so it will go onto your target USB drive.
  • You'll need to manually create partitions in the free space unfortunately. I created 3 primary partitions, one swap (dunno how big it should be but back in the day the recommendation was 1.5 * RAM size, so I did 12GB), one for / (40GB) and one for /home (the rest of the space). Looks like Steam installs stuff somewhere in /home so you want plenty of space there (the TF2 download alone is 12.2GB).
  • Once you're happy with your partitions, continue the installation and answer questions as needed.
  • When it's done, reboot your system, unplug/remove your Ubuntu media, boot off the USB drive et voila!

Because the bootloader is installed on your target USB drive, there's no changes made to your internal HDD at all. Plus, since drives are identified with UUIDs these days, there's no need to go and edit the bootloader's configuration to point it at the right drive.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I've read this thread and I shake my head and remind myself why Linux will never become mainstream relative to Windows and OSX.

It's just too hard. Far too many hoops to jump through to get stuff done.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I put Ubuntu on my netbook and installed Steam recently. Haven't booted it up yet, so I guess this is a good time.

Ubuntu is the easiest damn thing to install. Though, I did have some problems with audio drivers on one of my desktops, but it's not the frustrating experience it was years ago.

Top Bottom