• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to install Steam on Linux to get the TF2 Tux item

i cant get steam to install. i keep getting an i386 error from the download on steam's site. a

and an error about the download center failing when i try to download steam 64 bit from the ubuntu software center.

please help. i want my penguin

Download linux lite. It comes with steam ready to run from the menu.

It will just update the first time you run it and then you are away. (Still need to download/copy TF2 files of course)

Blizzard

Banned
I had to increase the virtual hard disk size to maybe 23GB, and Linux Mint ran super slow in VirtualBox, but I got the penguin. I didn't ever get TF2 to show more than a black screen, and it might have been because I never installed video drivers, but I figured the penguin was the main goal. If I ever had a different PC where I wanted to install Linux standalone, I might give it a shot again.

celebi23

4FC32382C9A29886C0E9527C844AEFE48E90500F
Booyah!

benjipwns

Banned
on the VMWare Workstation free trial as well.
You don't need Workstation to make VMWare virtual machines anymore. VMWare Player does it just fine, especially with Ubuntu and other Linux distros that recognize it.

I think you do have to sign up with an VMWare account on their site though.

VMWare Player does have video card support now as well.

Dmax3901

You don't need Workstation to make VMWare virtual machines anymore. VMWare Player does it just fine, especially with Ubuntu and other Linux distros that recognize it.

I think you do have to sign up with an VMWare account on their site though.

VMWare Player does have video card support now as well.

Is there a guide somewhere to using VMWare?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Anybody actually willing to give linux a try should try redhat 18.

yum install steam and never look back!

You're recommending a distro that costs money to use updates? Why not at least CentOS of that RH version?

Linux is great and all, but it's not for everyone. It's more for enthusiast OS users, like custom build computers or cars. Powerful if you need it, confusing as hell to the masses.

benjipwns

Banned
Is there a guide somewhere to using VMWare?
You should be able to just create a new virtual machine, point it to the ubuntu iso and VMWare Player will take care of most of the rest. (And you can accept basically all the defaults during the Ubuntu install.)

The one thing you may want to do is before creating the VM make sure it has a nice chunk of RAM and HD space. (Though you can change this later.)

Linux is great and all, but it's not for everyone. It's more for enthusiast OS users, like custom build computers or cars. Powerful if you need it, confusing as hell to the masses.
I think Ubuntu and some others are probably just as easy for people to get into as Windows or MacOS. Someone who wants to use facebook, listen to music, type some school papers or do a spreadsheet, etc. tends to get by everywhere at the same maddening to watch level. But people who start knowing how to install their own specific software, use keyboard shortcuts, etc. are where you start to get that separation.

And it's less that they can't use it and more that they don't see the effort being worth it when they already know Windows.

Disclosure: I use 7 on my desktop so I don't have to reboot to use Steam games. My laptops of the last five years have all been Linux of some sort. (Keeping a Windows partition for any games.)

jediyoshi

Finally got in and out. Was planning on keeping wubi in just for tf2 just for the hell of it, but it was looking like either terrible performance or with drivers meh performance and graphical bugs all over the place.

Installed it over the weekend to get the game.

I really like Ubuntu. TF2 ran awfully and I couldn't update my drivers.

I reinstalled Win

Was a pain to get it installed.

zoku88

Ah and those don't slow-down the OS when I utilize it right?

Any software you run will technically slow down the OS, since the OS is just the kernel + some GNU base libraries (not even X, which is what everything graphical runs on.)

Everything else is just extra :p

But anyway, my guess is that logging into a fluxbox session or a awesome session won't feel as slow as a Unity or Gnome(shell) session. Fluxbox and awesome don't use fancy graphics or compositing, so they would probably be faster to use in a VM.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Any software you run will technically slow down the OS, since the OS is just the kernel + some GNU base libraries (not even X, which is what everything graphical runs on.)

Everything else is just extra :p

But anyway, my guess is that logging into a fluxbox session or a awesome session won't feel as slow as a Unity or Gnome(shell) session. Fluxbox and awesome don't use fancy graphics or compositing, so they would probably be faster to use in a VM.

What about which version of Ubuntu? Apparently 12.0~ won't run well in VM because of the GUI engine (Unity 2 I think?) or something.

I installed Ubuntu on my Dad's old work computer. He took it when they let him go. To fix stuff, their computer guy just installed Windows XP again. Had three versions of it installed on there before I cleaned it out for Ubuntu lol

Gonna give this a try, though.

parski

i cant get steam to install. i keep getting an i386 error from the download on steam's site. a

and an error about the download center failing when i try to download steam 64 bit from the ubuntu software center.

please help. i want my penguin
Pastebin a log and I'll see what I can do to help.

So I managed to log into my acount. Game crashes, tux acquired. Tried it on one of my idlers, the game constantly tells me it's not available.

I'll keep trying cause I have til March to do it, but I'm sad I can't have them now, and be done with it.

Angry Fork

Have a problem, I did all the updates ubuntu told me I should do (like 250mb worth of stuff), then restarted and am trying to install steam now but it gives 2 errors, this one:

This application Ubuntu Software Center has experienced an internal error.

There was an error submitting the teransaction

ExecutablePath /usr/share/software-center/software-center

And this one:

Package dependencies cannot be resolved

This error could be caused by required additional software packages which are missing or not installable. Furthermore there could be a conflict between software packages which are not allowed to be installed at the same time.

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

steam64: Depends: steam (= 1.0.0.27ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed

Any idea what I'm supposed to do? Thanks.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Copy over from Windows to /home/.steam/Steam/SteamApps:
source materials.gcf
source models.gcf
source sounds.gcf
source 2007 shared materials.gcf
source 2007 shared models.gcf
source 2007 shared sounds.gcf
team fortress 2 content.gcf
team fortress 2 materials.gcf
team fortress 2 client content.gcf

You probably need to rename them on Linux so each part is capitalized ala: Team Fortress 2 Content.gcf

Then verify the game cache. It'll still download some Linux specific stuff but that's only a few megabytes.

Tried that, Unbuntu/Steam won't load it as it's "unavailable right now." Apparently?

zoku88

What about which version of Ubuntu? Apparently 12.0~ won't run well in VM because of the GUI engine (Unity 2 I think?) or something.

Unity is the shell for the Gnome session that Ubuntu runs by default.

The window managers I was talking about would be run instead of Unity/Gnome.

Though, it seems like you solved your speed problem, anyway.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hilariously enough Ubuntu will say Steam did not install properly... but as it turns out you need to log into Steam first to fully install it.

BigDes

Gah, Steam just goes through the endless file validation check when I try this

Also it is refusing to download the last 100mb of TF2

Oh well.

Still, Linux is kind of nice

everytime I tried to copy the TF2 files from Windows to Wubi, the system would just lock =/ I guess tomorrow I'll try a true install from DVD with it's own partition

CodonAUG

I really wanted to give Ubuntu a fair shot but the horrible support of nVidia video card drivers ruins everything. The truly sad part is its both Ubuntus and nVidias fault for the shitty driver situation and both sides blame the other and do nothing about it.

Top Bottom