• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag poster [Up2: First Screen, Cross-Gen, Map]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaCH3000

AC III was a pretty big misstep for the series, and Connor is without a doubt the worst protagonist out of the three, so I'm glad they're ditching him and the boring colonial setting.

I'm still not happy with the annualization of the series though.

Agreed. Although, Black Flag sounds promising. The idea of a pirate game is a innovative approach. Current-gen confirmation is unfortunate because I'm almost positive the next-gen port will be an unoptimized mess. Give this game a few more months, preferably another year to deliver a true next-gen experience. One that fans of the series deserves.

I can't wait to hear why a lot of you feel Connor is the worst. I may come off as some AC3/Connor champion but that's because I feel they did a great job with him.

First of all, no, he's not as charming as Ezio. Ok? So what? I'm glad we have a seemingly weaker character, personality wise, that grows into his own. Hell, his naivety drives the damn story but most of you ignore that and dismiss him as if he being as suave and strong or dudebro as your typical hero would make sense and be more preferable. THAT viewpoint, to me, is more shallow than Connor. Connor was a strong, young boy with conviction until he was thrust into the larger, developing world and the conflict between Assassins and Templars, Torries and Whigs, and the conflict of his integrity and loyalty towards his ideals and father figures.

Too complicated I guess. Just give us dudes who want to kill without the baggage just because for some reason.

So burned out on Assassin's Creed... It's a shame because it was quite promising to start with. I think it peaked around about Brotherhood. III was an absolute travesty... such a boring slog of a game with one of the must uninteresting protagonists in recent memory...

Anyway, has any one noticed that it looks like IV will be played through an Abstergo animus? Not sure if it's been mentioned and I don't fancy trudging through the whole thread to find out. The bokeh style effects on the screenshot look a lot like the stuff you see in the Abstergo Animus in ACIII: Liberation on Vita.

Abstergo.png

tumblr_mck3obeWvm1qdqlkxo2_500.gif

Edit: Did a quick search and saw this has been brought up already, whoops. So uhh... disregard this I guess

UrbanRats

So burned out on Assassin's Creed... It's a shame because it was quite promising to start with. I think it peaked around about Brotherhood. III was an absolute travesty... such a boring slog of a game with one of the must uninteresting protagonists in recent memory...

Anyway, has any one noticed that it looks like IV will be played through an Abstergo animus? Not sure if it's been mentioned and I don't fancy trudging through the whole thread to find out. The bokeh style effects on the screenshot look a lot like the stuff you see in the Abstergo Animus in ACIII: Liberation on Vita.

Abstergo.png

Edit: Did a quick search and saw this has been brought up already, whoops. So uhh... disregard this I guess
I haven't played through Liberation (as i don't have a Vita) but if they chose a black background instead of that stupid-ass blinding white they've had in the main ACs, i'd be all over that.
Go Abstergo!

FakeEDIT: Although maybe Revelation had a black theme, i can't remember exactly.

DocSeuss

They're not though. 2 and Brotherhood were amazing. Revelations was completely mediocre (maybe a little better if you ignored the optional tower defense bullshit). 3 was the only actually bad game since the first.

2 and Brotherhood absolutely are amazing.

Revelations was bad (script and bug issues, too much 'training,' loss of focus), as was AC3.

Badass concept. I still haven't gotten around to trying AC3, but I loved AC2 and and I was about halfway through Revelations before I stopped playing it. That was pretty fun as well.

Bladenic

I'm pretty excited for this, strangely. AC3 deflated my like of the series, but I love pirates. And more naval combat is a good thing.

Abstergo.png

Abstergo.

make.believe

I cannot understand why this game takes place at a timeline before the events of AC 3. The series need to move forward.

However as an Assassin's Creed series collector it is day one for sure

UrbanRats

I cannot understand why this game takes place at a timeline before the events of AC 3. The series need to move forward.

However as an Assassin's Creed series collector it is day one for sure

They probably want to take their sweet time for that, given the ending of AC3.
Also they needed to reuse AC3's assets, but probably wanted to get away from Connor, him being a shit character.

EDIT: Done by Eideka.

Ubisoft, just copy the combat of the Batman Arkham games. I don't care if you rip it straight off and just change the animations. It's the only way to make the combat not totally suck.

monome

you're a good person!

charachter looks badasser than Connor, yet...

so many fucking guns. and the sword... I so much prefered the hidden blade as the main weapon.

Ubi should really consider making the series a true action series if it so much intends to bring all sort of weapons.

UrbanRats

I wonder if we'll ever get an AC in the Roman Empire.
I guess it's too dumb and trite for Ubisoft, though.

Oh my god he is carrying four guns. Why would you ever need that many?!?
That's not absurd.
Those are not revolvers, it takes several minutes to reload one in real life, so they would just strap multiple ones already loaded.

The pirate thing was true? That's amazing!

I hope they really go all out on the ship simulator.

Also, they couldn't have chosen a worst first screen.

Petrichor

I wonder if we'll ever get an AC in the Roman Empire.
I guess it's too dumb and trite for Ubisoft, though.

That's not absurd.
Those are not revolvers, it takes several minutes to reload one in real life, so they would just strap multiple ones already loaded.

Like a piratical setting isn't trite.

Having said that if they get rid of the gameplay "fixes" from AC3 and return to the combat / freerunning of AC2/ACB, I'll bite.

Carbonox

AH GOD DAMN IT I'M HYPED NOW

FUCK YOU AC

I enjoyed AC3 despite its problems

Main character looks better than shitty Connor.

Haha, they have to show the hidden blade because the people will freak out again like when they didn't showed Connor's hiden blade from the get-go.

Looks cool.

dr_rus

Yay, another AC. I guess there is a plus in sandbox games - being that you can make a new one using the old assets every year.

Haven't played AC3 yet but seeing so many people dissapointed with it not sure if Ubi knows what it's doing with AC4. It needs to be as big a jump from AC3 as AC2 was from AC1. Otherwise they'll completely ruin the franchise.

Lakitu

st5fu
I think it's just Ubi's way of gently easing the audience into an AC: [Subtitle] approach for the forseeable future.

rataven

I don't particularly like the addition of a subtitle. Should've just been AC: Black Flag or ACIV.

Yeah, not keen on it either. Their branding seems all over the place.

UrbanRats said:
That's not absurd.
For an assassin?? What happened to the hidden blade? Guns shouldn't be the primary weapons. Heck, if you even used one in III, you'd alert the guards, blowing your cover. It's not a practical weapon for the series.

Overdoziz

Banned
I really hope they expand on the naval missions, loved those. Hopefully we'll need to do a special maneuver against rogue waves instead of just pressing a single button which magically protects you from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom