• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is PS3 Linux being ignored by gaming journalist?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Gamers are some of the most technically savvy people out there. How come none of these sites or publications making a deal out of it?

Please help me understand why this killer app is ignored? Non technical people working for these publications perhaps...

alejob said:
Because no one cares about PS3 Linux.

I do, and so does everyone where I work. The people who don't care about are the ones who either never used Linux, or have no idea what it is. If it can be turned into an awesome home theater system where I can stream all of my movies from my network, $600 won't be bad at all. I just spent $400 building a home theater PC that uses Linux, and it kicks ass.

Asskicker064 said:
I do, and so does everyone where I work. The people who don't care about are the ones who either never used Linux, or have no idea what it is. If it can be turned into an awesome home theater system where I can stream all of my movies from my network, $600 won't be bad at all. I just spent $400 building a home theater PC that uses Linux, and it kicks ass.

but you could buy an old xbox 1 and do that and save mad dough.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
HAL_Laboratory said:
Why is PS3 Linux being ignored by gaming journalist?
They sure don’t ignore the Blu-Ray Player/HD playing or even web browsing capabilities. But I guess it takes a little extra effort to get the Linux up and running.

For those saying is a non factor or that no one cares you apparently have not been reading any of the recent PS3 threads here on GAF. I guess GAF >>>> All publications when it comes to tech.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I think its partially because people assume Linux has no GUI still.

No one outside of complete PC geeks gives a shit about Linux. The majority of Sony's mindbase doesn't even know what the f*ck a Linux is.

A couple of the IGN guys mentioned on there podcast that they'll be installing linux. I don't know if they're going to try the one that some of the GAF guys have already tried or if they're going to wait fir YDL's version which is more optimized for the PS3(I think).

TheProfessor said:
They sure don’t ignore the Blu-Ray Player/HD playing or even web browsing capabilities. But I guess it takes a little extra effort to get the Linux thing up and running.

For those saying is a non factor or that no one cares you apparently have not been reading any of the recent PS3 threads here on GAF. I guess GAF >>>> All publications when it comes to tech.

linux confuses the average person, sad but true.

i can see why a gaming journalist wouldnt want to go into an in-depth discussion about something most massmarket gamers whose eyes would glaze over within the first 3 sentences,

Pimpbaa

alejob said:
Because no one cares about PS3 Linux.

They will when/if full access to cell and rsx in linux. A nice looking GUI that doesn't eat up all of the ps3's ram would be nice as well (that is the worst part about linux on the ps3 at the moment).

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
TheProfessor said:
SNES9X! Firefox! Not bad for the first day

Someone got SNES9X running? So I'm guessing they used a PPC build? How did it run?...thats fricken awesome this early.

Draft

Because ATM it doesn't do anything except run Firefox and SNES9x? Maybe if it was already doing MythTV or letting people play Super Contra co-op online then game journalists would be excited.

Shompola

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
They will when/if full access to cell and rsx in linux. A nice looking GUI that doesn't eat up all of the ps3's ram would be nice as well (that is the worst part about linux on the ps3 at the moment).

I really doubt most people will care about it. And people DO like streaming movies and such... but with something easier like the PS3 default OS and not something(linux) wich is still complicated for most people. So Linux is and will be just another nice niche software available for yet another platform.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Father_Mike said:
Bingo. When people do something cool with it, it will get press.

Yeah, but based on the results of 24 hours, I doubt it will take people that long

Suikoguy said:
Yeah, but based on the results of 24 hours, I doubt it will take people that long

your right but even if something nice hits now it will just get over shadowed by launch. Summer is my guess.

Bebpo

Banned
Father_Mike said:
your right but even if something nice hits now it will just get over shadowed by launch. Summer is my guess.

I dunno. Honestly I expect some crazy neat apps by xmas...

Speevy

Banned
It sounds cool and all, and I'm sure the tech heads and rom pirates are pleased at the moment, but it's not a game. Now if someone makes a game of their own with it, that's awesome.

When I was in line at the Metreon, there was actually a guy with an openoffice.org t-shirt going around asking people if the were planning to install Linux on their PS3s. I planned on doing just that, so I waved him down and asked what his deal was. Apparently, his company is putting together a Linux documentary and that the PS3 was something they wanted to cover. He asked if I would be willing to do an interview, but I declined (as I didn't want to get out of line). Now that I think about it, maybe I should have done the interview.

xemumanic

Once there's something cool you can do with the OS, like a mass quantity of homebrew, media players, etc; it'll get all the attention the modded Xbox got and more. And some of that depends on how much can be done using Linux on the PS3. Already I think I read here that no 3D acceleration is possible.....is it as neutered as PS2 Linux? If not, or at least enough of the PS3's hardware muscle can be harnessed (should be more than a modded Xbox at the bare minimum even if it limited) then a popular PS3 homebrew scene is in our near future.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
xemumanic said:
Already I think I read here that no 3D acceleration is possible.....is it as neutered as PS2 Linux?
PS2 linux had full access to 3d hardware, the only thing that was "neutered" was DVD access.
On PS3 there's no GPU drivers yet, the rest is accessible.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Draft said:
Because ATM it doesn't do anything except run Firefox and SNES9x?

I didn't even know someone had SNES9x working..?

As for the OP's question, I think it's a mix of their focus being on games primarily + the fact that others could probably do it better.

antiloop

Spider_Jerusalem said:
*cough*cough* *watches at 129 Euros Xbox with XBMC installed ;)

Can it do high bitrate h.264 or Blu-ray? :)

Some people in here seems to underestimate Linux. It can be extremely easy to get things working in some distros.

Sony was right about that bring all entertainment to one box. With Linux it really can become a reality.

Queeg

I'd say there are a few being encouraged not to and the rest with little clue what's there.

Also MS is ramping up it's FUD campaign against Linux ATM with this from a couple of days ago Steve Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft money

Pulls the attention of the Linux community away from the PS3 nicely.

As for the software. It's likely there already, learn to install it :p

Blimblim

The Inside Track
ToxicAdam said:
Because it's something that won't even be relevant until late 2007-early 2008. If ever.
I think you'll be surprised by how quick some awesome apps will appear once the RSX is completely exposed to the linux kernel and Xorg.

Dunpeal

Banned
Because almost nobody gives a shit about linux.

But yeah, i guess its gonna be awesome for the select few that want play all those illegal roms and watch Xvid in their console or something.

shuri

Banned
Shompola said:
I really doubt most people will care about it. And people DO like streaming movies and such... but with something easier like the PS3 default OS and not something(linux) wich is still complicated for most people. So Linux is and will be just another nice niche software available for yet another platform.
You can assured that when someone will come up with a linux distro that auto boots with emulators and all those features pre-loaded, people will be all over it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Blimblim said:
I think you'll be surprised by how quick some awesome apps will appear once the RSX is completely exposed to the linux kernel and Xorg.
I really, really want to know if it would be possible to make a bootable XBMC thingy. Just power on the console and bang, all your media needs up there with no need to boot linux and then look for the programs using a mouse.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Funky Papa said:
I really, really want to know if it would be possible to make a bootable XBMC thingy. Just power on the console and bang, all your media needs up there with no need to boot linux and then look for the programs using a mouse.

If (when..) a suitable application comes along, I'm sure you could have a script that would automatically run that when the distro boots. Heck, someone could come up with a custom distro that basically just did this, or that had a very simple interface.

I would love to see something like that, with perhaps also integration into a youtube-style service for PS3-tailored apps and homebrew (games etc.). So you could just select the app and it would download and install it automatically, and give you 'friendly'/convenient access to it through that interface. There's many many possibilities here. There's definitely the potential for someone to supercede the XMB on all fronts (asides from playing PS3 games, of course ;)) - style, useability, functionality, connectivity etc. It's very fun to think what might emerge.

Top Bottom