• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Handheld Gaming? Will they ever make one?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
With the WiiU having the tablet controller and the PS Vita being described as working with the new PS4 in similar capacity, will Microsoft ever enter into the handle held market? I know it has been discussed for years with nothing ever coming from it. Would this be the year to announce a handheld to counter what Play Station and Nintendo are doing? It was rumored that M$ was making two different devices at one point correct? Could one of these devices be an handheld? Thoughts?

Takao

Banned
Not in the traditional sense. Their platform would be more similar to Vita than a 3DS, and we all know how Vita is doing.

Their handheld strategy is Smartglass coupled with Windows 8 Mobile.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Why bother. Windows 8 phone has dozens of non-button games to play.

Dlacy13g

well they basically already did in Surface Pro. Granted its much more than just a dedicated handheld.

abadguy

Banned
I don't see them ever making a dedicated handheld like 3DS and Vita. Though i wonder given supposed Japan's love of handhelds over consoles, would an "Xboy" do better than the Xbox over there.

Its a relatively small market and not one where they should compete in as they're struggling in the much bigger tablet market.

I am not sure they'll be successful, it's hard to beat Nintendo in this market, and I don't think they'll be that better than Sony, even though I think their marketing is far superior to Sony's.

I made this mockup 4 years ago...

xphone2.png

Still surprised they haven't done something like this. I think a Windows Phone 8 with a slideout controller AND the software to back it up plus airplay/remote play style features with the Xbox would be super attractive to gamers.

Its not like Windows Phone is all that successful. But no, they could manage it more than Sony but still I think there is too much of a gap in their content between those who want a handheld gaming device and those who want MS games.

I remember writing a college paper about how they should do this and how it would fit in with what they were doing with XBL.

Then the iPhone was released a year later.

I don't see them ever releasing handheld hardware.

They'll view all of mobiles as a platform with their service running on it.

Considering what awful hardware they make, god forbid they make a portable version. Imagine how fragile it would be. Remember that Game Boy that Nintendo likes so much that got hit with a missile in Desert Storm and still works? Yeah... Microsoft isn't going to make that.

It would probably melt like snowball the second the shrink wrap came off.

Kusagari

No. It doesn't fit their plans.

They would be more likely to make a phone/tablet that they would hail as some kind of ultimate gaming device.

Tucah

you speak so well
Getting some of their franchises on W8 phones/tablets? Maybe. A full on dedicated handheld with buttons and the like? I doubt it.

windows phone and surface are pretty much it. If they were really concerned, there's nothing stopping them from making an XBLA app for either platform.

Atomski

Won't happen, and if they did try for some stupid reason it would flop like every other small device they try to make. Aka Zune.

JWong

Banned
It's Windows Phone, but Microsoft will never be successful in the portable market with their poor strategies.

Considering:
- the runaway success of Vita and the very solid launch of 3DS
- how Zune totally overtook the iPod
- the dominating market share of windows phones

If I were an investor and they announced it, I'd dump all my stock faster than you could say Nokia.

coldfoot

Banned
I guess thats why 3DS is outselling consoles and why the DS is the highest selling console of all time
1. A handheld is not a console. The 3DS isn't competing with the PS3 and 360.
2. Compare the 3DS to its real competition, which are smartphones and tablets, and you'll see its sales are miniscule, and profit margins are razor thin.

Jamix012

2. Compare the 3DS to its real competition, which are smartphones and tablets, and you'll see its sales are miniscule.

It's real competition is the PS vita, which it is outselling. I'd argue that handhelds are as close to smartphones/tablets as they are to consoles in the sense of whom they're competing with.

coldfoot

Banned
It's real competition is the PS vita, which it is outselling. I'd argue that handhelds are as close to smartphones/tablets as they are to consoles in the sense of whom they're competing with.
Outselling the PS Vita :) Like that's a hard thing to do...
Handhelds are much, much closer to phones than home consoles. They let you play games while mobile, where consoles don't.

Hattori

Banned
I don't think so, because MS has no presence in Japan, and the majority of dedicated handheld support comes from there

2. Compare the 3DS to its real competition, which are smartphones and tablets, and you'll see its sales are miniscule, and profit margins are razor thin.

if its selling more than Home consoles that shows its in a better state
I suppose you think home consoles are dying because there are more PCS sold

coldfoot

Banned
if its selling more than Home consoles that shows its in a better state
I suppose you think home consoles are dying because there are more PCS sold

It's not making more money than home consoles, especially considering software revenues. Also home consoles are in their 8th year, wheras the 3DS is much newer.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Nintendo sells their hardware to kids who keep buying their stuff. Which is fine - Nintendo works hard for that market, they deserve it. But anyone who thinks that the 3DS' mild success to date is indicative of a healthy, growing portable gaming hardware market that Microsoft should be eager to jump into is crazy.

Top Bottom