• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt On The Witcher 3s Open World, Beards [RPS interview]

Perkel

Banned
RPS: In other interviews, you’ve noted that you’re paying close attention to the strengths and weaknesses of worlds like Skyrim. How so, though? Where do you think Bethesda and others most need to improve?

Michał Platkow-Gilewski: It’s hard not to mention Skyrim, but I believe that our approach to our game is totally different. What they created was an open-world RPG. What we’re doing is a story-driven RPG set in an open-world environment. For us, the most important aspect of the game is always the story. And by “story” I mean not only what’s happening, but also the choices and consequences, the moral gray areas, the good or bad characteristics of the NPCs that make them believable. After you meet them, you’ll remember who they are and why they do what they do. All that is the most important thing for us.

RPS: That’s interesting. I think a lot of games just treat quests as a checklist of things to do, and if you don’t do them, well, you just didn’t do them. It sounds like you’re focusing on having ramifications for inaction or indecision.

Michał Platkow-Gilewski: Yes. I don’t believe in a structure like A-B-C-D-E-F-G, you’re finished. The main storyline needs to be connected with everything that’s going on in the world, to a bigger and smaller extent. Of course, you just go out to somewhere in the woods, in the wilderness, and you can focus on monster-hunting. Maybe you as a gamer just love to hunt monsters, like the Witchers are supposed to do. You can focus on the undead if you want. So you can do whatever you want. For me, this is the definition of an RPG. Do whatever you want.

RPS: What about unfriendly NPCs? Will they just be of the “Grrr, arrghh, murder, kill, whoops I died, oh god I’ll never get to play violin again” variety? Or will there be a bit more to them?

Michał Platkow-Gilewski: While you’re fighting with enemies, human enemies, they have a morale system. If you’re strong enough and they feel like they’re losing – like if they outnumbered you at the beginning, but now there’s only one of them still alive – they’ll start to go on defense. They’ll be afraid of your swings. Then, ultimately, they’ll surrender. When they surrender, you can either finish them or leave them alive. You can take their loot any time you want.

WAY MORE IN ARTICLE

IMO looks like they are going back to The Witcher 1 quest structure which was way better than 2.

EDIT: PART 2 of INTERVIEW IS LIVE

Perkel

Banned
bump, looks like it gone from first pages unnoticed. After this i won't bump it anymore.

edit:

actually someone bumped that :p

Dr.Acula

Banned
The idea of open world as a game such as in Skyrim, and open world being an aspect of a game such as what they want to do here, is interesting to me.

There's been a lot of discussion mentioning the Ultima games here recently, and I think UVII did a really good job on the narrative driven aspects of sandbox gaming.

The Avatar was free to pursue any of his/her whims, but the NPCs were always aware of what was happening in the wider world in regards to the main villain of the game, represented by the cult of the Fellowship. If I recall correctly, major events would open up different dialog trees world-wide, so that any time you returned to an area, things felt fresh. Other characters would give you information that furthered the plot.

The issue with Skyrim is that it seems as if each town is separate, with its own concerns. That's not neccasarily a problem, that could have been a conscious design decision, especially considering how isolationist some of the societies are. But the flip to that is, the lack of interconnectness makes it seem as if the game is disjointed, and it defeats the urgency when not every character is as invested as the player in the main storyline.

I wonder if they're gonna do chapters again, where each town is like a level? True openworldness would mean meaningful interconnectedness and an focus on returning to areas. Part of that was teased with their mention of economies where goods in one town were of different values in the next -which they did in Ultima!

When I was a kid playing Ultima 6, I remember buying wheat in one town, milling it, then selling it as flour in the next town where it was worth more.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
We think that the main story will cover around 50 hours. The thing that you said about the other quests filling the gaps, that’s probably another 50 hours of content. Then there’s a lot of other gameplay quests.

Even accounting for overstatement that's a boatload of content. I wholeheartedly approve. Everything else mentioned is gravy.

Perkel

Banned
Shots fired lol.

I really hope they pull this off, it just sounds so ambitious and too good to be true.

Yeah. They have ambission but we will need to see if they have means to do that. We need to remember this is their first Open World game.

Derrick01

Banned
We don’t have multiple colors of endings in our game [laughs]

Casey Hudson said the same thing before ME3 came out!

In all seriousness they continue to say the right things. I still refuse to get excited out of principal but I hope they don't over hype the game and themselves like they did a little with 2.

Ooh, I like that each area has its own story. That was the one thing from TW1 that I wish The Witcher 2 had done. It sounds like it could also be similar to the first two books in that way.

Morokh

The issue with Skyrim is that it seems as if each town is separate, with its own concerns. That's not neccasarily a problem, that could have been a conscious design decision, especially considering how isolationist some of the societies are. But the flip to that is, the lack of interconnectness makes it seem as if the game is disjointed, and it defeats the urgency when not every character is as invested as the player in the main storyline.

There is definitely some things they could have done better with Skyrim in that regards and many more, but having recently played Fallout New Vegas, where almost everything IS connected to the main 'story', there is a fine line to find between the two if they want to allow some kind of player freedom cause NV is a fine RPG, but fails as an open-world game.

We'll see how it turns out, I do like that they focus on the story.
That's what made traditional jrpgs and the (few worthwhile) best wrpgs good.

I don't even like rpgs, it's the few with a good story, endearing characters and interesting world that I happened to play first that tricked me into thinking I'd enjoy the genre in general.

I'm not sure what to think of this. CDPR ist aiming pretty high lately. From what they told us, it all sounds so overambitious for this studio. Sounds like they're planing to make the best game ever. I'm happy if they really can deliver, but it all sounds to good to be true.

Perkel

Banned
I'm not sure what to think of this. CDPR ist aiming pretty high lately. From what they told us, it all sounds so overambitious for this studio. Sounds like they're planing to make the best game ever. I'm happy if they really can deliver, but it all sounds to good to be true.

Yeah. I hope they will at least deliver what Gothic 2 did and they won't make soul less Skyrim.

Derrick01

Banned

A lot of the things they are promising has been done by older RPGs like Gothic 2, which IMO those guys weren't in the position CDPR is now both financially and creatively, so I think they CAN do it. They've acknowledged that they're taking some influence from Skyrim but only in terms of the open world, because of how bad of a RPG it actually is, and that's good news because that's the only thing you want anyone taking influence from with Bethesda games.

Dr.Acula

Banned
There is definitely some things they could have done better with Skyrim in that regards and many more, but having recently played Fallout New Vegas, where almost everything IS connected to the main 'story', there is a fine line to find between the two if they want to allow some kind of player freedom cause NV is a fine RPG, but fails as an open-world game.

Never played NV, but would you launch the same criticism at Fallout 3? I found Fallout 3 to be really lacking as an open world game, in that it felt like there were big bottlenecks to get from one city to another. Collapsed skyscrapers cutting off large sections of map, for instance.

I think STALKER: Call of Pripyat did a comparatively good job. You could walk pretty much anywhere, but the way the game was designed, you moved through the plot as you moved through the world. And it took you so long to walk everywhere you had no desire to really stray from the beaten path.

Skyrim stacks its world with so many goodies that it rewards you to stray. Plus with fast-travel, you can always just jump back to a city, dump your loot, then fast-travel back to your furthest point.

Solo

What they created was an open-world RPG. What we’re doing is a story-driven RPG set in an open-world environment. For us, the most important aspect of the game is always the story. And by “story” I mean not only what’s happening, but also the choices and consequences, the moral gray areas, the good or bad characteristics of the NPCs that make them believable. After you meet them, you’ll remember who they are and why they do what they do. All that is the most important thing for us.

First thing they've said that quells my fears somewhat.

Sentenza

RPS: What about unfriendly NPCs? Will they just be of the “Grrr, arrghh, murder, kill, whoops I died, oh god I’ll never get to play violin again” variety? Or will there be a bit more to them?

Michał Platkow-Gilewski: While you’re fighting with enemies, human enemies, they have a morale system. If you’re strong enough and they feel like they’re losing – like if they outnumbered you at the beginning, but now there’s only one of them still alive – they’ll start to go on defense. They’ll be afraid of your swings. Then, ultimately, they’ll surrender. When they surrender, you can either finish them or leave them alive. You can take their loot any time you want.
The more they talk about this game, the more it sounds like they are talking a lot of inspiration from Gothic, which is great in my book.

Forkball

They’ll be afraid of your swings. Then, ultimately, they’ll surrender. When they surrender, you can either finish them or leave them alive. You can take their loot any time you want.

I hated in Skyrim when you fight someone they limp for a second and scream "I YIELD." Moments later they start attacking you.

This game is going to be incredible, in CPR I trust. I like babyface Geralt though.

Hargenx

This games is a PERFECT children from Gothic and Daggerfall, and I will love it every single second.

Jac_Solar

I hated in Skyrim when you fight someone they limp for a second and scream "I YIELD." Moments later they start attacking you.

Yeah, what's up with that? I mean, couldn't they have coded the enemies to try and run away and not attack you? Or just inserted a line of code that randomizes yield/attack, or attack after yield?

Dead Man

Not really on topic, but his description of the difference made me wonder if it would be possible to build an open RPG game that had no main quest but still had an overarching progression of the world through what would traditionally be side quests. Player helps people, people are happier, better ecnonomy, not that simplistic but I think it would be good if it was possible to do right.

Durante

Everything I've read about this sounds good. Even if they only manage to pull off half of what they are promising this will be a great game (and honestly, I don't think they'll pull off all of it, it does seem extremely ambitious).

Derrick01

Banned
GOTY 2014!

This made me think, RPG of the year is going to be a bloodbath next year. This game, Project Eternity, probably Dead State as well all going toe to toe. I'm sure whatever Bethesda's next game is will release next year too which like it or not is probably going to be the front runner for the award in most places.

zon

Hopefully they can deliver what they promise. Now just add the option to play whatever type of build you want (wizard, warrior, everything in between) and I'll be sold. Too bad they'll restrict us to Geralt though. It does get a bit stale to play him over and over.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
This made me think, RPG of the year is going to be a bloodbath next year. This game, Project Eternity, probably Dead State as well all going toe to toe. I'm sure whatever Bethesda's next game is will release next year too which like it or not is probably going to be the front runner for the award in most places.
Maybe dark souls 2 as well

Perkel

Banned

It shall be glorious FEST.

And it will start this fall with Wasteland 2. Witcher 3, Dead State, Project Eternity, Dark Souls 2. And in 2015 Cyberpunk 2077

Derrick01

Banned
Maybe dark souls 2 as well

Ah yeah I forgot that. Regardless of the game's quality gaf is not going to be fun to be on when that gets close to coming out if our handling of the first game is any indication.

It shall be glorious FEST.

And it will start this fall with Wasteland 2. Witcher 3, Dead State, Project Eternity, Dark Souls 2. And in 2015 Cyberpunk 2077

Thought wasteland 2 was on track for this year? Then again it could easily slip I suppose.

I'm too excited for this game. I don't want to set myself up for disappointment but they always say the right things and goddamn did I love the Witcher 2. Interviewers bring up the open world issues that are rarely, if ever, handled well and they come back with answers that should end up being amazing if executed as they say. It's all so ambitious. I want to believe but reality always seems to come crushing down on these ambitious games by the end.

Feature

Banned
They should allow you to rape the NPCs too. Other than that, sounds amazing and the way they're handling the game is much better than skyrim where I forgot who everyone was except my own character. That's how shallow / hollow the characters were.

woober

Check back tomorrow for part two, in which we discuss Witcher 3′s revamped combat, difficulty, the role of sex in a story that sees Geralt feeling a bit less, er, wayward, plot twists, mods, the effects of multiplatform development, and cooperation with the Cyberpunk 2077 team.

Oh yes. Yesss everything they're saying is music to my ears. I just hope they pull through.

Portugeezer

Not to mention a new Deus Ex game and Final Fantasy PS4 :p (wishful thinking on these two maybe?)

They should allow you to rape the NPCs too.
Why? Is killing them not sick enough for you, you have to rape them first? (or even worse, rape them after)

They should allow you to rape the NPCs too. Other than that, sounds amazing and the way they're handling the game is much better than skyrim where I forgot who everyone was except my own character. That's how shallow / hollow the characters were.

Rape simulator.
This won't at all result in legislation against video games.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
CDPR said:
For me, this is the definition of an RPG. Do whatever you want.

Nice. Quoted for future reference.

Shaping up to be a sound game, hope they are up to the task.

Top Bottom