• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

.....why did nobody notice The Witcher 3 - PS5 port was a glitchy mess?

Why? Are people blind or am I just an OCD fuck with nitpicking problems?

For context, this is my personal best game of all time. I played it on the PS4 Pro at 1080p mode (which boasted better draw distance than the faux 4k mode) the first pandemic year and fell in love with the game, from graphics to writing, story to world, the game is amazing. I finished it just only one time as I bought the PS5 at launch and proceeded to enjoy it on a better TV than my old Samsung LED from 2010. As I had only played the main game and already had the Complete Edition, I was eagerly waiting for the next gen patch that for a time, seemed to never be coming after it was announced.

I think it finally launched either 2022 or 2023, and it looked spectacular on my OLED, great HDR, great graphics boost thanks to the modded textures, just a fantastic game (at first glance). Then I noticed something....

The game is terribly glitched, only on the playstation (yes, Xbox X/S and PC don"t have this glitch at all...)

On the PS5, every 3-4 seconds, the vegetation will glitch out and while it might just look like your regular pop-in, it is not - It will SWITCH places with other vegetation. You might be walking across a beautiful field, and the grass will glitch just below Geralt and switch LOD in a millisecond, changing the whole scene and the whole vegetation, bush and grass placement. This only happens to the grass though, trees and what not will not be affected. It´s absolutely jarring and destroys the game presentation, AND all the great draw distance improvements the next gen patch brought.

As a graphics enthusiast, I know how pop-in works and looks, and I'm not fond of it, but this is a different thing, and it really should be fixed IMO.

It´s something to do with how the game runs on the playstation, as it can be TEMPORARILY fixed at times. In random instances this will simply stop happening for hours before it triggers it again. Also, if you clean cache and database, it can be temporarily fixed too, before it rears it´s ugly head again.

I´ve been trying to contact tech support at CDPR and they get back to me saying they will forward to the devs, but I've lost hope they will fix it. It makes the Witcher 3 on PS5 absolutely "unplayable" for graphics enjoyers like me, and I'm really surprised this has never came up in those countless VS threads or even the DF patches analysis - as I say, DF is really faulty and they don't really analyse the games.

I won´t post any pictures, gifs or videos now, cause I'm at work, but later I will show you just how ugly this bug can get - it's simply unacceptable and makes me not play my favorite game of all time... at least on PS.

Anyone ever notice this?

Xtib81

Yep, that's the reason why I haven't played the blood and wine extension where vegetation pop in is imo more visible. It's quite visible in Skellige too, not so much in Vellen.
I heard it's a ps5-only issue, that's really disappointing to see that they haven't, and will likely never, address it because it really ruins the immersion.

Last edited:
I played performance mode around PS5 patch launch for like ~15h and it was fine, I return to patched version sometimes and it's... fine.
I understand you may say that, but it´s really not bro... It's the worst version by far.

It's such a stealthy glitch it seems most people don't notice it, but if you search the internet for "witcher 3 PS5 grass glitch" some people talked about since launch.

It has to do with the cache according to some, please get back after I post the gifs I recorded on my PS, it's really noticeable and ugly...

For the above poster... thanks man, at least someone here is aware of the issue, as you said, Skellige is downright hilarious how shit it gets, Blood and Wine too.

They will probably never fix it, only if they decide to launch a PS5 Pro patch, but I made this thread just to shed a light on how bad it's on PS5...

Soon I will post video proof

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That sounds very annoying and makes me reconsider my plan to play the expansions (only played the base game on PS4). Shame.

Bojji

I understand you may say that, but it´s really not bro... It's the worst version by far.

It's such a stealthy glitch it seems most people don't notice it, but if you search the internet for "witcher 3 PS5 grass glitch" some people talked about since launch.

It has to do with the cache according to some, please get back after I post the gifs I recorded on my PS, it's really noticeable and ugly...

For the above poster... thanks man, at least someone here is aware of the issue, as you said, Skellige is downright hilarious how shit it gets, Blood and Wine too.

They will probably never fix it, only if they decide to launch a PS5 Pro patch, but I made this thread just to shed a light on how bad it's on PS5...

I'm downloading PS5 version now to check it.

This is what I found on google.

intbal

The game is terribly glitched, only on the playstation (yes, Xbox X/S and PC don"t have this glitch at all...)

It's not like the game is bug-free on Xbox.
I don't know if they ever fixed this.

a9xrm4N.jpg

skit_data

Played through it around the time it launched and didn't notice much more than the fps dropping in Novigrad and clouds/sky sometimes acting up in a wierd way which disappeared after a while

Bojji

It looks ok on my console. Maybe it's something like grass problems DF had when Xbox one lod settings carried over to series X version when they used xbox one save?

I’ve been playing through 30 fps, but I stopped briefly after the gwent card game thing.

Is the vegetation pop-in noticeable for all modes?

Damn, that’s ugly. 🤢

Yep, but on my PS5 it looks absolutely fine:

Last edited:

Vick

I'm downloading PS5 version now to check it.

This is what I found on google.

That is either a ridiculously severe glitch or they completely fucked up with the PS5 version with patches (I played for more than 300 hours on launch version, which I also got in physical form to have it preserved forever).

As a matter of fact aside from the gltich OP is referring to the launch version didn't have any noticeable pop-in at all. I was constantly impressed by this aspect of it, almost as flawless as RDR2 version 1.00.

Nowhere to be seen in comparisons made at the time as well.

Yooo, thanks Bojii. You made this glitch even more mysterious. My PS5 can only look briefly and randomly like that, your game looks pretty much how it was supposed to look in the first place. May I ask, what is your PS5 version, game (digital or disc) and are you running it from the regular SSD or something else?

Almost home now, it looks exactly like the reddit post you got, but I will get direct feed from Skellige and show just how awful it can get. It does happen on the Velen map though, not as bad as Skellige or Blood and Wine...

Vick

Almost home now, it looks exactly like the reddit post you got, but I will get direct feed from Skellige and show just how awful it can get. It does happen on the Velen map though, not as bad as Skellige or Blood and Wine...
Wait, that's not the glitch I was referring to though when I said:

As a matter of fact aside from the gltich OP is referring to

The one I talk about is sometimes nearby vegetation placement suddently changes slightly. Certainly not something resembling that Reddit post in the slightest, nowhere in the game + expansions (again, 100% and 300 hours of gameplay).

I refuse to update the game for many reasons so I can't know what updated version looks like, but lauch version (Performance Mode) PS5 was by far the best one, no noticeable vegetation pop-in of any kind, indefinitely further shadow rendering distance compared to the X version, perfect performance with the only issue represented by walking using Witcher senses in Novigrad. Not a single glitch I can recall aside from the occasional selected small bushes placement.

If you got a physical version just try installing without updates, you'll get a perfect version of this colossal masterpiece that looks absolutely marvellous (500+ screenshots) and performs perfectly.

And if you don't, get it because Patch 4.0 deserves it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The PS5 patch is horrendous. I loaded up the game and it just felt awful to play. I haven't tried it again.

Last edited:

The one I talk about is sometimes nearby vegetation placement suddently changes slightly. Certainly not something resembling that Reddit post in the slightest, nowhere in the game + expansions (again, 100% and 300 hours of gameplay).

I refuse to update the game for many reasons so I can't know what updated version looks like, but lauch version (Performance Mode) PS5 was by far the best one, no noticeable vegetation pop-in of any kind, indefinitely further shadow rendering distance compared to the X version, perfect performance with the only issue represented by walking using Witcher senses in Novigrad. Not a single glitch I can recall aside from the occasional selected small bushes placement.

If you got a physical version just try installing without updates, you'll get a perfect version of this colossal masterpiece that looks absolutely marvellous (500+ screenshots) and performs perfectly.

I love you bro, from far away. You're the homie with these 1.00 game tips, I will definitely do that with my physical copy, and you're right... It's not the same glitch, I was mistaken. It's those changing vegetations one

King Dazzar

I've done 130hrs solely on PS5 in performance mode with VRR and I've never had anything like what is shown in the video. However I have yet to do the B&W expansion. My only issue was frame rate consistency requiring VRR. As for the patches, the last one for me is superb as it removed the need for VRR whilst also appearing to run at a higher DRS - or at least the game looks a bit sharper together with vastly improved frame rate consistency over the original next gen patch.

I've also FWIW got the XSX version too and found both versions to be very similar, though I only touched the XSX next gen version for a short while.

Sorry if my experience doesn't align OP, but I can only post my personal findings.

Neilg

I replayed it entirely on ps5 in raytraced mode and didnt have any glitches like that. i did have neon pink cobwebs though, that was annoying. From what I could gather that was also quite random/rare. if you didnt get it, you'd never get it, but if you had it, it was damn near all cobwebs.

Vick

The PS5 patch is horrendous. I loaded up the game and it just felt awful to play. I haven't tried it again.
That's because you reeeally have to get used to this game controls/visual feedback, as is what it is.

Nothing to do with the Next-Gen Patch though, Performance Mode on PS5 was fucking superb (at least launch/physical version).

All gameplay Performance Mode, rock solid 60fps (Witcher senses in Novigrad aside):

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221220234831.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221221022059.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221225061051.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221221032329.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20230112071243.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221228204706.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221227182931.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20230105005521.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20230103030823.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221222035646.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221228035544.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221230042811.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221220054037.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221220154349.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221222065233.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221222052648.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221227053749.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221230015240.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221229001412.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221221031320.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221225060150.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221219034608.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221222100723.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221222100304.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221221045411.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221221034037.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221221045055.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221230045448.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221219221527.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221230044849.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221222001635.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20230109104913.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221219230205.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20230108133338.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221221025507.png

I love you bro, from far away. You're the homie with these 1.00 game tips, I will definitely do that with my physical copy, and you're right... It's not the same glitch, I was mistaken. It's those changing vegetations one
Do it man.

The changing vegetation glitch would still be there, maybe less annoying because I got used to it quickly, but at least it features an absolutely impeccable LOD not found anywhere else. All those shadows you see in the infinite distance, from little geometry's to whole building's, on the X version (4.00) would appear right in front of the player and disappear after a few steps.

Here's an example I made of the never changing LOD no matter how far:

Last edited:
That's because you reeeally have to get used to this game controls/visual feedback, as is what it is.

Nothing to do with the Next-Gen Patch though, Performance Mode on PS5 was fucking superb (at least launch/physical version).

All gameplay Performance Mode, rock solid 60fps (Witcher senses in Novigrad aside):

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221220234831.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221221022059.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221219221527.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221221034037.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20230105005521.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221222035646.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221222065233.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221221045055.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221230045448.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221222001635.png

Do it man.

The changing vegetation glitch would still be there, maybe less annoying because I got used to it quickly, but at least it features an absolutely impeccable LOD not found anywhere else. All those shadows you see in the infinite distance, from little geometry to whole buildinds, on the X version (4.00) would appear right in front of the player and disappear after a few steps.

Here's an example I made of the never changing LOD no matter how far:

Wow, what a beautiful game. I will certainly go for it, you miss nothing as it's a single player game

Xtib81

[media]

Here we can see what OP is referring to. It's more obvious on a large screen, but pay attention to the grass on the road. Check out at 0.44 for example.
Personally, I've tried to uninstall and start a New save and it's always there.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Yeah the LOD system is broken on ps5 gonna the series X version

EDIT Not seeing any of the grass LOD pop in on the series x seems like this is a ps5 issue

Last edited:

Vick

Yeah the LOD system is broken on ps5 gonna the series X version
But that would be a mistake as LOD management is instead still noticeably better on PS5 even after the latest patches (time-stamped an example, area in shadow under the arch at the center and shadows on the building on the left a little later in the video):

On Series X you'd be getting worse performance and occasional tearing along with shadows and polygonal meshes appearing later. And if this is only marginally the case now on version 4.00 the difference in this regard is staggering as the LOD system was effectively broken on Series X.

Series X fades in shadow maps much later than PS5

Last edited:

NeonGhost

But that would be a mistake as LOD management is instead still noticeably better on PS5 even after the latest patches (time-stamped an example, area in shadow under the arch at the center and shadows on the building on the left a little later in the video):

On Series X you'd be getting worse performance and occasional tearing along with shadows and polygonal meshes appearing later. And if this is only marginally the case now on version 4.00 the difference in this regard is staggering as the LOD system was effectively broken on Series X.

That isnt the latest patch plus I have both versions running right now Lod is all over the place on playstation 5 it’s mainly in grassy areas things pop in and out on the ground even when walking slowly

Last edited:

Vick

That isnt the latest patch plus I have both versions running right now Lod is all over the place on playstation 5
Could you post some example?
I don't intend to ever update as to me 4.00 is perfect so I'm genuinely curious.

I mean you're saying LOD went from being better on every version to "all over the place" and inferior, it's quite the statement.

it’s mainly in grassy areas things pop in and out on the ground even when walking slowly
Sorry just saw the edit, I see now you're referring to the glitch and not the "LOD system".

Last edited:

NeonGhost

Could you post some example?
I don't intend to ever update as to me 4.00 is perfect so I'm genuinely curious.

I mean you're saying LOD went from being better on every version to "all over the place" and inferior, it's quite the statement.

Sorry just saw the edit, I see now you're referring to the glitch and not the "LOD system".
Yeah it’s a glitch with the Lod system on ps5 with the grass and foliage it acts like it’s almost procedurally generated sometimes there will be a patch of grass in the area walk away come back and it’s gone something is definitely broken on the ps5 version

Vick

Yeah it’s a glitch with the Lod system on ps5 with the grass and foliage it acts like it’s almost procedurally generated sometimes there will be a patch of grass in the area walk away come back and it’s gone something is definitely broken on the ps5 version
Yeah I got what you meant now, all good.

Its a glitchy mess everywhere Ive seen or played it
Still the greatest game ever made if you ask me.

And aside from that sporadic vegetation one, haven't really experienced any glitch.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

Yeah I got what you meant now, all good.

Still the greatest game ever made if you ask me.

And aside from that sporadic vegetation one, haven't really experienced any glitch.
I keep getting uploa failed,on video I took on ps5 anyone know the best way to share video clips

I have played about 15 hours of the PS5 version and saw no glitches. It’s been a few months, so maybe it is a recent update? I also play in ray tracing mode, so maybe it only happens in “poo poo graphics mode”.

NeonGhost

I have played about 15 hours of the PS5 version and saw no glitches. It’s been a few months, so maybe it is a recent update? I also play in ray tracing mode, so maybe it only happens in “poo poo graphics mode”.
Idk if I trust anyone who plays in 30fps

Vick

I keep getting uploa failed,on video I took on ps5 anyone know the best way to share video clips
There's Streamable, however be aware they'll delete your videos after a while.

SyTGFdl.png

Every single screenshot featured in this post:

Is made in poo poo graphics mode. Game's a collection of 60 wonderful paintings every second.

I'm back... really interesting things for this thread thankfully. LONG AND HEAVY POST AHEAD

I was having trouble with my internet so I cleared the Cache for my PS5 and kept playing some games while Witcher downloaded...

Fired up the game and started testing and recording for this thread, only to see it rendering, running and working beautifully - yeah, no glitch at all.

This was 9pm, played it and tested it on multiple saves and graphic presets for 20 min, when I turned off my PS5 it was 9:21pm. A glimmer of hope showed up as I thought maybe they had fixed alright - wrong, they didn't. It is a cache issue most probably.

Went to my dad house and got back now at 11 pm, eager to see if it would go all bad again and yes it did, now the glitch is back and it's ugly as shit, unplayable fr.

The comparisons: (Please excuse the HDR colors, I forgot to turn them off for the capture, the glitch should still easily noticeable!!)

(how velen looks like when it's not bugged - 30fps mode)

- 60fps mode when it's not bugged...

- so good..

- the glitch, in ray-tracing mode (still present in the 60fps mode as you will see later) (Please look at 0:18; 0:28; 0:45; 0:54; 1:02; 1:10; 1:13; 1:15)

Did you see it? If not, lemme show ya sum

- 30fps SKELLIGE WITHOUT THE BUG.

- Going back up the same place, not bugged.

- on horseback same place, not bugged.

yo, check this out...

look for the grass and plant placement, how they change abruptly, how they weren't even supposed to be there...

- this is how it was supposed to be...:messenger_sunglasses:

How could this big of a problem go unnoticed? I guess people didn't really play this game as they would of had finished it back in 2015, right? In my opinion, for a game that can look as good as it does on my not bugged videos... it's a waste to play it the way it looks now, on PS5. I can't do it, in fact, fired up the old PS4 game and while it looks worse, the rendering looks more consistent as it doesn't have this problem.

And before you go ham on me, I would be cool if it was just your regular optimization, like pop-in, this is indeed nitpick territory and the game is still the GOAT, but this is a glitch as you can see, randomly, the game will not have the problem, like in the first videos....just odd

Last edited:

Vick

Nice.

The combat really wasnt for me. I prefered the 1st in that aspect.
Yeah I mean.. combat, controls and animations actually suck to be entirely honest and take quite alot to get used to, however the former does eventually get extremely satisfying later on.
Still objectively bad when it comes to even basic stuff as certain attack animations should never randomly take longer than others, but truly fun and satisfying still. Also quite deep.

And everything else in the game is so unbeliavably and impossibly good that in spite of that it STILL manages to be the greatest game of all time for me.

Thanks for the complete documentation SkyHighTrees SkyHighTrees btw. It is indeed a weird and misterious glitch, I'm struggling to figure what the hell would cause such a bizzarre thing to happen in the first place.

I can't do it, in fact, fired up the old PS4 game and while it looks worse, the rendering looks more consistent as it doesn't have this problem.
Still, I would never in a million years play the PS4 version over this one. Even if that version was 60fps as well I'd still play PS5 4.00 a million times.

It's a miracle we got a fully and tastefully modded game on Console, at 60fps and good IQ and in physical format. A true miracle.
Hell, Halk Hogan Rework is one the very best Mods of all time, tied with RE4 HD really, and it's now on official disk for a Console.. that shit is still unbelieavable to me.

Personally, I find the maxed out RT shadows pop-in much more noticeable, bothering and distracting that the glitch, as that happens all the time and right in front of your face and my OCD brain can't simply dismiss it as "well it's just a glitch, LOD is actually perfect". The RT AO is also glitchy as hell at times. No version is perfect.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Is this the PS5 disc version or the PS4 one?

Three

I'm back... really interesting things for this thread thankfully. LONG AND HEAVY POST AHEAD

I was having trouble with my internet so I cleared the Cache for my PS5 and kept playing some games while Witcher downloaded...

Fired up the game and started testing and recording for this thread, only to see it rendering, running and working beautifully - yeah, no glitch at all.

This was 9pm, played it and tested it on multiple saves and graphic presets for 20 min, when I turned off my PS5 it was 9:21pm. A glimmer of hope showed up as I thought maybe they had fixed alright - wrong, they didn't. It is a cache issue most probably.

Went to my dad house and got back now at 11 pm, eager to see if it would go all bad again and yes it did, now the glitch is back and it's ugly as shit, unplayable fr.

The comparisons: (Please excuse the HDR colors, I forgot to turn them off for the capture, the glitch should still easily noticeable!!)

(how velen looks like when it's not bugged - 30fps mode)

- 60fps mode when it's not bugged...

- so good..

- the glitch, in ray-tracing mode (still present in the 60fps mode as you will see later) (Please look at 0:18; 0:28; 0:45; 0:54; 1:02; 1:10; 1:13; 1:15)

Did you see it? If not, lemme show ya sum

- 30fps SKELLIGE WITHOUT THE BUG.

- Going back up the same place, not bugged.

- on horseback same place, not bugged.

yo, check this out...

look for the grass and plant placement, how they change abruptly, how they weren't even supposed to be there...

- this is how it was supposed to be...:messenger_sunglasses:

How could this big of a problem go unnoticed? I guess people didn't really play this game as they would of had finished it back in 2015, right? In my opinion, for a game that can look as good as it does on my not bugged videos... it's a waste to play it the way it looks now, on PS5. I can't do it, in fact, fired up the old PS4 game and while it looks worse, the rendering looks more consistent as it doesn't have this problem.

And before you go ham on me, I would be cool if it was just your regular optimization, like pop-in, this is indeed nitpick territory and the game is still the GOAT, but this is a glitch as you can see, randomly, the game will not have the problem, like in the first videos....just odd

Does "Clear Cache and Rebuild Database" remove the glitching again?

Does "Clear Cache and Rebuild Database" remove the glitching again?
That's the thing... sometimes it does, other times it doesn't.

It's just an odd problem. Sent another ticket to CDPR support, but now with clips. I have no idea how this works or if the devs ever see it, but I know that if I was the lead graphics artist/engineer I would be disappointed to see this glitch ruining all my work. As Vick put it, it's an amazing looking game when it works, the modded textures + great HDR and vast draw distances are crazy, all at a great IQ. Hope they can fix it someday

Denton

I find the maxed out RT shadows pop-in much more noticeable, bothering and distracting that the glitch, as that happens all the time and right in front of your face and my OCD brain can't simply dismiss it as "well it's just a glitch, LOD is actually perfect". The RT AO is also glitchy as hell at times. No version is perfect.
I thought this was fixed. Or it was on PC at least.

Anyway, bizzare glitch. I am indeed not seeing it on PC either.

Top Bottom