• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2013 (Feb 18 - Feb 24)

Shikoro

2週間と比較するとPS Vita本体の売上が4倍程度になったことをSCEJ河野プレジデントが明かしました。

The SCEJ President, Mr. Kano stated that the Vita's sales were about four times higher than the previous two week period, prior to the price cut.

If it was just the sales two weeks ago, not for the previous two week period, I would expect 2週間前 instead of just 2週間 there. However, I could very well be over thinking it. He says 'compared to the two week period prior to the cut' quite clearly.

I agree. Literally, he says: If you compare to a 2 week period, PS Vita system sales have become 4 times.

In simple terms, probably around 70+k units. Tomorrow's gonna be interesting. :D

I agree. Literally, he says: If you compare to a 2 week period, PS Vita system sales have become 4 times.

In simple terms, probably around 70+k units. Tomorrow's gonna be interesting. :D

Sounds good! Anything less than 70,000 units, and I honestly would have been a bit disappointed at least on the inside, so I am glad that it seems to be doing well.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
[PSP] Conception: Please Give Birth to My Child! <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) {2012.04.26} (¥6.279) - 28.068 / 50.002

Famitsu data. Why am I posting this? Because they just announced the sequel slated for this Summer. The surprise(?) is that it's for both 3DS and Vita.

Takao

Banned
[PSP] Conception: Please Give Birth to My Child! <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) {2012.04.26} (¥6.279) - 28.068 / 50.002

Famitsu data. Why am I posting this? Because they just announced the sequel slated for this Summer. The surprise(?) is that it's for both 3DS and Vita.

The surprise is that Spike Chunsoft's making a sequel with sales like that.

Spiegel

We will know at last which is the console of choice for creepy japanese gamers.

So, what all does Nintendo possibly have to announce until the launch of their next portable system? (Guessing 2015/6). Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire remake, Pokemon Z, Zelda new and (maybe) remake, Metroid, Kirby main/spinoff, Donkey Kong platformer new, Smash Bros, old IP (F-Zero, Star Fox, Wave Race), Golden Sun, Monolith Soft's game, Custom Robo, Advance Wars, Mario sports titles, WarioWare/platformer.

Anything I'm missing?

Potentially they could have any of the following, I suppose:
1. Pikmin
2. WarioWare
3. Yoshi game
4. Kirby
5. F-Zero
6. Star Fox
7. Advance Wars
8. 'Super Princess Peach'
9. Metroid
10. Zelda
11. Rhythm Heaven
12. Mario Party
13. Tingle game
14. Pokemon Ranger/other spin offs (Conquest 2!)
15. Diddy Kong Racing
16. Chibi Robo
17. Golden Sun
18. Mario Strikers/Basketball
19. Picross 3D
20. Wario Platformer
21. Flip-note studio
22. Monolith Soft Kyoto's game
23. WaveRace/1080 Snowboarding
24. Treasure's game (if it's not above)

What about sequels to current games? SM3DL2? Fire Emblem Awakening 2? Sakura Sumarai 2? Pushmo 3? What about Ice Climber, Balloon Fight, or other NES revivals on the eshop?

Opiate

So does anyone think Sony should work to distance themselves from the Otaku crowd? They seem attached at the hip, but it feels like it's limiting their system's appeal these days -- sort of like comic books being limited in the US by their rabid nerd base.

This has its advantages, obviously. You can rely on your nerd base. But it also limits the potential for growth, because general consumers tend to distance themselves from such cultures and crowds.

I could also be completely wrong. Maybe Otaku are more respected in Japan than the comic book nerd-type is in the US. This was just a thought, and not a fully formed idea (which is why I'm asking).

SmokyDave

So does anyone think Sony should work to distance themselves from the Otaku crowd? They seem attached at the hip, but it feels like it's limiting their system's appeal these days -- sort of like comic books being limited in the US by their rabid nerd base.

This has its advantages, obviously. You can rely on your nerd base. But it also limits the potential for growth, because general consumers tend to distance themselves from such cultures and crowds.

I could also be completely wrong. Maybe Otaku are more respected in Japan than the comic book nerd-type is in the US. This was just a thought, and not a fully formed idea (which is why I'm asking).
Hell no. Right now, it's the only crowd they have. They ought to be securing an exclusive, adult-rated Love Plus as I type.

BriBri

Yes. Somewhat. It didn't work for NEC.

Comic book stuff is mainstream popular in the west, as long as it's not an actual comic book.

I don't think Sony has the luxury of distancing itself from anything interested in supporting Vita.

Soriku

No. I don't think there's much indication that the crowd is actually hurting growth. There's definitely an otaku crowd on PS3 and 3DS (PS systems moreso I'm sure) but they don't hurt much. It's all they got on the Vita atm.

Skyzard

Banned

Not with the PS4 since the otaku are the only ones who will pony up that price (whatever-ish it is) for now I think but with the PS3 definitely, we see they are doing it already.

Oersted

Potentially they could have any of the following, I suppose:
1. Pikmin
2. WarioWare
3. Yoshi game
4. Kirby
5. F-Zero
6. Star Fox
7. Advance Wars
8. 'Super Princess Peach'
9. Metroid
10. Zelda
11. Rhythm Heaven
12. Mario Party
13. Tingle game
14. Pokemon Ranger/other spin offs (Conquest 2!)
15. Diddy Kong Racing
16. Chibi Robo
17. Golden Sun
18. Mario Strikers/Basketball
19. Picross 3D
20. Wario Platformer
21. Flip-note studio
22. Monolith Soft Kyoto's game
23. WaveRace/1080 Snowboarding
24. Treasure's game (if it's not above)

What about sequels to current games? SM3DL2? Fire Emblem Awakening 2? Sakura Sumarai 2? Pushmo 3? What about Ice Climber, Balloon Fight, or other NES revivals on the eshop?

GBA was pretty much the main Fire Emblem console for a while...

Mondriaan

Not with the PS4 since the otaku are the only ones who will pony up that price (whatever-ish it is) for now I think but with the PS3 definitely, we see they are doing it already.

The 360 also had bursts of those sorts of games for a little while, but supposedly it was attributable more to how easy it was to develop for the 360 than anything else.

Be it 50K or 80K it's not going to be a revival. I'm not sure what people are worried about either way - Vita is still dead long-term.

Also, again, I really doubt NSMBU sells 2M long term without being given away for free.

wrowa

PS2 was home to both "normal people" and otakus and was incredibly successful regardless. Trying to leave the Otaku base behind, would probably a rather dumb move -- especially in Vita's case, since that's pretty much the only audience that's actively interested in the platform right now.

PS2 was home to both "normal people" and otakus and was incredibly successful regardless. Trying to leave the Otaku base behind, would probably a rather dumb move -- especially in Vita's case, since that's pretty much the only audience that's actively interested in the platform right now.

Indeed. Otaku is not the mass of people that creates million sellers. Not even 500k sellers. I think the best selling "otaku" series is Project Diva, and it didn't perform so hot on Vita.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Be it 50K or 80K it's not going to be a revival. I'm not sure what people are worried about either way - Vita is still dead long-term.

Also, again, I really doubt NSMBU sells 2M long term without being given away for free.

Why would anybody be worried that the system somehow finds a niche and stabilizes at some kind of okay level? How could that possibly be considered a bad thing?

And a niche is what Sony should be going for with the Vita. They should cater that device completely around the otaku in every way possible. So I totally second/kickstart Dave's idea there.

Takao

Banned
LovePlus, as it is known, is dead in my opinion. They ruined the IP so badly that no one will buy a new one, unless they do a complete reboot of the series.

Well, I don't think Konami shares your opinion. They've been teasing something regarding their dating sim line of games for a while now.

I think Konami should port the 3DS Love Plus to Vita with a tonne of bug fixes and additional content. The audience for those kinds of games appear to be on Vita, and it should be a cheap enough project.

Mr Swine

Banned
Well, I don't think Konami shares your opinion. They've been teasing something regarding their dating sim line of games for a while now.

I think Konami should port the 3DS Love Plus to Vita with a tonne of bug fixes and additional content. The audience for those kinds of games appear to be on Vita, and it should be a cheap enough project.

Would be a lot better if they made a sequel on the 3DS tbh

That's not automatically true. LovePlus is not very in line with games like Monster Monpiece or Senran Kagura. It's a 360° dating sim that doesn't have over-sized breasts and plenty of girls to choose among all the stereotypes. It has its moments where you have to look at your girlfriend and such, but it's less visually extreme than stuffs you can find in Demon Gaze, for example.

PSP was the otaku platform, and still LovePlus sold a lot on DS; it sold more than any other otaku game on PSP but Hatsune Miku. The first one sold close to 300k, 3 times what Tokimeki Memorial 4 did on PSP.

Also, New LovePlus is officialy recognized as the game of bugs. They had to withdraw all the copies from the market. It's not something you can polish and resell again. Hence, for me, either a reboot with new girls or a new IP.

Opiate

I've thought about this, and it's entirely possible this may still be true.

But to an extent, I think "normal people" were buying the PS2 because there were no alternatives really geared towards them. Now that real, viable substitutes exist that focus primarily on the average consumer, I think a union of the two markets becomes increasingly less likely.

Again, could be totally wrong. I'm basing this logic primarily on my knowledge of western markets, where the above reasoning certainly applies. The PS2 was able to capture the casual base, but only because casual alternatives didn't really exist. Now that they do, there is basically zero chance of a "core" focused system like the PS3 or Vita doing the same again.

That's not automatically true. LovePlus is not very in line with games like Monster Monpiece or Senran Kagura. It's a 360° dating sim that doesn't have over-sized breasts and plenty of girls to choose among all the stereotypes. It has its moments where you have to look at your girlfriend and such, but it's less visually extreme than stuffs you can find in Demon Gaze, for example.

PSP was the otaku platform, and still LovePlus sold a lot on DS; it sold more than any other otaku game on PSP but Hatsune Miku. The first one sold close to 300k, 3 times what Tokimeki Memorial 4 did on PSP.

Also, New LovePlus is officialy recognized as the game of bugs. They had to withdraw all the copies from the market. It's not something you can polish and resell again. Hence, for me, either a reboot with new girls or a new IP.

Why not just make an deluxe release with some new content and fix all the bugs? Hell Konami released Frontier Gate Plus on PSP.

I think it'd really work for Konami, indirectly advertising it as the fixed version. How they let the game go so broken I'll never know.

What were the bugs, at least the worst ones?

Wouldn't targeting Otaku's essentially put the Vita in the 360's shoes even more firmly?
Why would anybody be worried that the system somehow finds a niche and stabilizes at some kind of okay level? How could that possibly be considered a bad thing?

And a niche is what Sony should be going for with the Vita. They should cater that device completely around the otaku in every way possible. So I totally second/kickstart Dave's idea there.
Schadenfraude, or the spectacle of watching a trainwreck, perhaps. There's a sort of "Why won't you just die?!" air persisting around Vita.

Could you explain. Cause this comes across as an oxymoron and makes no sense to me. Every console will eventually be dropped from the market place and no longer sold to the consumers 'long-term'.

Mondriaan

Wouldn't targeting Otaku's essentially put the Vita in the 360's shoes even more firmly?
The 360 failing in Japan doesn't have anything to do with otaku (there might be an argument that otaku are better at ignoring poor marketing, though). MS didn't know how to market the 360, and more importantly, it didn't really learn enough (or possibly anything at all) from trying to market the first XBox.

test_account

XP-39C²
We will know at last which is the console of choice for creepy japanese gamers.
What if they sell about the same amount of copies? Hehe =)

Did they really pull the game from the market? I know they did an update patch.

What were the bugs, at least the worst ones?
I saw one on Youtube that crashed the game. I'm not sure if that particular bug was a widespread bug or not though.

Could you explain. Cause this comes across as an oxymoron and makes no sense to me. Every console will eventually be dropped from the market place and no longer sold to the consumers 'long-term'.
Perhaps I should have defined long term. A sustained recovery is unlikely. It will return to sub-10K sales in a month's time or so and continue it's zombie plod in a software wasteland towards discontinuation.

Mr Swine

Banned

He means that 3:rd party devs won't put their big and medium sized games on Vita since 3DS has a 10 million user base and all those games are already out/coming to it

3DS has around 10X the user base of Vita in a little less than 1/2 the time. That's not an insignificant difference and short of Soul Sacarifice selling 1M copies, to mostly new users, (it *probably* won't) it's not going to have much of a long term affect on the platform.

Spiegel

I've thought about this, and it's entirely possible this may still be true.

But to an extent, I think "normal people" were buying the PS2 because there were no alternatives really geared towards them. Now that real, viable substitutes exist that focus primarily on the average consumer, I think a union of the two markets becomes increasingly less likely.

Again, could be totally wrong. I'm basing this logic primarily on my knowledge of western markets, where the above reasoning certainly applies. The PS2 was able to capture the casual base, but only because casual alternatives didn't really exist. Now that they do, there is basically zero chance of a "core" focused system like the PS3 or Vita doing the same again.

There's a big difference between otaku focused systems and "core" focused systems

Also PSP had plenty of both. Even the DS did have them, to some extent (otaku games, I mean).

test_account

XP-39C²
3DS has around 10X the user base of Vita in a little less than 1/2 the time. That's not an insignificant difference and short of Soul Sacarifice selling 1M copies, to mostly new users, (it *probably* won't) it's not going to have much of a long term affect on the platform.
Dont you mean in about twice the time? The 3DS is over 2 years old now, the Vita is about 1 year and 3 months old. Or am i misunderstanding something?

Which is why I really wonder why people are placing their hope on March's sales. Whatever happens in April,May,June,July,August have already been decided.

ohlawd

Seriously?

What's with the hold up, they had to do a recount or something to account for the unbelievable Sony Vita numbers?

it's gonna be awesome tomorrow.

no matter what, one side will be in tears. Personally, I don't really give a shit who it is so long as I see some working of dem tear glands.

Top Bottom