• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2013 [Up5: Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, Official PS3/WiiU]

FourMyle

dat Japan

Seems hardcore gamers were hungry for a real game over there. Douches are content with their mediocre shootbangs this side of the pond.

I think the vocal fanboys who can't shut up about this one thing are just as insufferable as those "dudebros" imo.

Conditions that need to be met:
  • Nintendo systems = 455K (Nintendo)
  • Sony systems = XBOX 360 + 7K (creamsugar)
  • XBOX 360 = 41% (Microsoft)
  • Systems up on weekly average basis. (NPD)
  • 3DS -27% Y/Y
Officially confirmed:
Xbox 360 = 302K

More creamsugar:
Wii U = 66K
PSV = 38K
PSP < 10k
Wii < 100k < DS < 150k < 3DS < 200k < PS3 < 250k
Sorry, PS3> 250K, wrong filter used.

My final take to meet all the conditions:

360 = 302K
PS3 = 262K
3DS = 189K
NDS = 101K
WII = 99K
WIU = 66K
PSV = 38K
PSP =9K

donny2112

We know the total is 180K right? So only some of these options are possible.

Depends on if the FE bundles were included in the numbers Nintendo gave or not. *mind boggles*

Edit:
That "retail" = the retail in the first post aka from the IGN source, it's standalone + bundle.

Oh, thanks! So 117K includes the bundles. :)

Edit2:
So it's
95K retail + 22K bundle + 63K download
for Fire Emblem, then. Sly Cooper's total now in question ...

neptunes

Nintendo MUST have foreseen this kind of drop happening even with realistic expectations.

I doubt those sales comes as a surprise to anyone at Nintendo. They of all people should know the games move hardware, and there's barely any compelling ones exclusive to the WiiU ATM.

donny2112

• 3DS -27% Y/Y
Officially confirmed:
Xbox 360 = 302K

More creamsugar:
Wii U = 66K
PSV = 38K

360 = 302K
PS3 = 262K
3DS = 189K
NDS = 101K
WII = 99K
WIU = 66K
PSV = 38K
PSP =9K

Think I'll go with these for the prediction thread. Thanks!

It's been a few years since I've viewed an NPD thread, what happened to listing the sales numbers?

NPD stopped publishing them to "preserve their product" by "stopping the release of information that isn't necessary outside of NPD's clientele."

Thank god we have people with access to the data that are willing to leak hints about it (creamsugar), otherwise we'd be very much in the dark in regards to NPD numbers.

Derrick01

Banned
I think the vocal fanboys who can't shut up about this one thing are just as insufferable as those "dudebros" imo.

You mean platinum fans? Yeah many of them can be a pain in the ass. It's like Dark Souls fans multiplied by however many games Platinum releases.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
My LTD and YTD estimates:

YTD:

DS - 167k
360 - 583k
PS3 - 464k
Wii - 201k
3DS - 334k
Vita - 72k
Wii U - 123k

LTD:
DS - 53.265 mil
360 - 38.563 mil
PS3 - 23.856 mil
Wii - 41.002 mil
3DS - 8.048 mil
Vita - 1.350 mil
Wii U - 1.008 mil

EDIT: Made some slight adjustments.
EDIT2: And again.

DaBoss

You mean platinum fans? Yeah many of them can be a pain in the ass. It's like Dark Souls fans multiplied by however many games Platinum releases.

Haha you're one of the people who hates on the stuff that "dudebro" gaming brings. :p

I don't really blame you for it, though you do tend to be vocal.:p

Nessus

God Nintendo. Thing needs a price cut, but I'm not sure that would even help much.

I want them to do well but this isn't looking good. At all.

Gorillaz

I usually don't like to get into this shit but...

What has Nintendo been doing console side for the past few years? Even during the Wii's drought? Were all hands on deck for the 3DS leaving the Wii U development side vacant? It doesn't make sense.

What has Nintendo been doing console side for the past few years? Even during the Wii's drought? Were all hands on deck for the 3DS leaving the Wii U development side vacant? It doesn't make sense.

There is an assumption that they are having similar problems transitioning to HD developement that alot of other developers had at the start of this gen.

WiiU is avoiding market saturation which is a good thing in the short term. 300k Xbox 360s sold just means 300k fewer people purchasing an Xbox 360 next month. Therefore The WiiU's growth potential is larger than any console or handheld on the market.
Romney Nintendo is running the perfect campaign

Their HD growing pains were delayed, they're only feeling the brunt of it now, as compared to MS and Sony (and other big name 3rd party publishers who feature prominantly on their consoles) who were forced to deal with it years ago.

Scum

They're probably doing things now that they should have done many years ago, which is no doubt slowing down whatever transitional period they are in.

neptunes

By HD transition are you guys referring to game development? I guess that's the only way it makes sense, and its understandable as Nintendo never really had to spend as much time creating high quality assets.

They've been forced to now.

They have restructured some of their largest divisions and have hired hundreds over the past 2 years. Restructuring takes time, especially with the way they develop games which is very different than the independent hubs of western publishers.

Also, when they made their estimates last year, I don't think they expected to delay so much to summer, but that is what Nintendo does. Their second half is a total mystery.

Anth0ny

Nintendo MUST have foreseen this kind of drop happening even with realistic expectations.

I doubt those sales comes as a surprise to anyone at Nintendo. They of all people should know the games move hardware, and there's barely any compelling ones exclusive to the WiiU ATM.

They thought Nintendo Land would be Wii Sports 2 and Mario would sell millions and millions of copies, and consoles.

By HD transition are you guys referring to game development? I guess that's the only way it makes sense, and its understandable as Nintendo never really had to spend much time creating high quality assets.

They've been forced to now.

They've been in the industry for decades, HD console gaming has been around for almost a decade, it really isn't an excuse.

Also LOL @ "Nintendo Ecosystem".

Iwata even said they still had problems developing on the Wii U hardware until last summer. Then they have some GCN level handheld to support (which has already received a ridiculous amount of 1st party software, probably too much). They likely just handled the teams poorly, With a 2 year drought on Wii, except late localizations, we should swim in WiiU announcements and not wait 6 more months for the cross gen developed Pikmin. Thankfully just slapping some New Mario cash in on this thing didn't work and now they finally need to get their shit together quickly.

Jburton

Banned
Wii U is in dire straits and the next gen machines from MS and Sony are not even out yet.

Technologically dated as it stands and a severe lack of games and third party support running away before the competition releases?

Won't take much for it to be classified as dead, GameCube / N64 numbers are looking good to Nintendo now for this thing.

I play the game everyday, so that's going to color my view on it. But to me, it's much higher quality and fuller in content than the $20 Brain Age 1/2 games, so expecting it to only sell for $10, just because of the existence of iOS games is like saying all 2-D games should all be $20 or less downloadable titles. It completely ignores what's gone into the game to make it what it is. I'm gaining, what is to me, significant worth from playing it everyday, as well, so that adds to its worth, in my view, too.

Does the market agree? Obviously, not. But just saying "It should've only been $10" coming from someone, who I seriously doubt has played the game (if for no other reason than by looking at the sales :p) does not sit well with me on a personal level.

That's my reasoning, at least.

Thanks for your reply and I do understand what you are saying, you are vested in the game and probably really enjoy it so your opinion may be a little clouded as you readily admit. We have to see this as business though. What you are saying is true, BA does offer more content than your basic $.99 iOS Brain Training game. However, market has dictated that those types of games will not sell for $29.99, not even for $19.99. I don't know how much it cost Nintendo to make BA, or Sony to make Smart As, but those games should have been released for $9.99 DD only. If that's not enough to make a profit on the product, then cut the content and release new DLC/IAP.

The casuals are not going to pay premium for these types of games and there's nothing we can do about it. It's not a matter of whether you want or enjoy a game in a series, it's about making profit. Brain Age went from being a multi million seller to barely outselling the port of a port of a port on a "dead" platform. It did better in Japan (~200k LTD?), but it's still a steep decline over previous iterations. It doesn't make any business sense to keep releasing BA games if that's the type of sales that it's gonna get. Unless you are ok with the series becoming extremely niche, then, IMO, you should be wanting and hoping that the next iteration is a DD only game for ~$9.99.

• 3DS -27% Y/Y
Officially confirmed:
Xbox 360 = 302K

More creamsugar:
Wii U = 66K
PSV = 38K

360 = 302K
PS3 = 262K
3DS = 189K
NDS = 101K
WII = 99K
WIU = 66K
PSV = 38K
PSP =9K

Seems to be spot on. Glad we got something this month. Depending on the GOWs, especially since the Sony one has a hot red bundle and is advertising it pretty heavily, and how Infinite affects sales, the numbers could be REALLY close next month. Will be interesting to watch.

So is this final?

95k < Sly Cooper total < 117k

PS3 version < 94K

If PS3 version = 94K then Vita version = 15K (CS said PS3 version was 86% of total sales IIRC)

So

95K < Sly 4 < 109K

sleepykyo

And here we have a even bigger drop from MGS4 to MGS:R. Same goes to GOW:A the next month.

Somehow that seems off. At the very least Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance isn't Metal Gear Solid. A shooter isn't normally a brawler and so forth.

Ni no kuni ~ 50k this month, and better than DMC (360+PS3).

Not bad.

You mean Ninja Theory making DMC5, the return to the setting people loved by the critically acclaimed developer!

I can almost see that happening. Given Dragon's Dogma After Dark and Lost Planet 3 are still happening. In too deep to reverse course.

RobbieNick

Wii U is in dire straits and the next gen machines from MS and Sony are not even out yet.

Technologically dated as it stands and a severe lack of games and third party support running away before the competition releases?

Won't take much for it to be classified as dead, GameCube / N64 numbers are looking good to Nintendo now for this thing.

I'll gladly take GameCube numbers at this point.

At least it isn't the Vita. How the hell that machine is still going I'll never know.

Top Bottom