• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity sells over 1.1 million copies in two weeks, biggest SimCity launch ever

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Put this shit DRM in a game that doesn't have an extremely long legacy and appeals to casuals. Then see what happens.

In the end people buy it because it was a respected and successful IP. People would have bought it no matter what was included I believe

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The game itself is decent right? It's just the online crap that kills it? From what I've watched the game looks solid, so congrats to Maxis. EA just needs to get rid of this always-online crap. Without it the game would be better off.

'I hate DRM. We should do something about it. Oh...well I'm still going to buy the games, I mean SimCity got 9's! I'll boycott EA next time.'

That's how you get the situation we're in. Thanks to all 1.1 million of you.

I've never been someone who's into Simcity- played it a bit on Mac and SNES years ago, but it's just not my thing. That said, it's been fascinating to follow all the hubbub over this game's release. DRM and server issues aside, are those who are now playing the game mostly enjoying it?

nekomix

When you see this, you know that an always-online console has its chance to succeed. PC players were supposed to be more informed...

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Thanks for ruining the industry for us, PC gamers 。・゚・(ノД`)・゚・。

Saty

The game would have sold similarly without always-online DRM. Even if it would have made people who pirate games to buy the game they still wouldn't be the people who would have lined-up to get the game in its launch.

This is the Simcity fan-base that would have been there day 1 DRM or no DRM.

But i guess you can that a recipe for success is:
- Wait 10 years before releasing a sequel.
- Have always-online.

marrec

Banned
The game itself is decent right? It's just the online crap that kills it? From what I've watched the game looks solid, so congrats to Maxis. EA just needs to get rid of this always-online crap. Without it the game would be better off.

The online crap isn't killing it currently (it did at launch, completely) and the game is totally playable right now.

Do you get miffed at bad AI and padded population numbers? Cause if you do then don't buy it.

I've never been someone who's into Simcity- played it a bit on Mac and SNES years ago, but it's just not my thing. That said, it's been fascinating to follow all the hubbub over this game's release. DRM and server issues aside, are those who are now playing the game mostly enjoying it?

The sole issue has always been the terrible DRM/server issues.

At worst, people don't like the small plots, but there are places with 16 city slots so you can get around it. It's a very fun game, once you get to play it.

TedNindo

Voting with you wallet doesn't work in case of a popular series like this. Because people will buy it before they know there are things wrong with the game.
There are a lot of people out there that were waiting for a new SimCity game and just jumped at the opportunity to have a SimCity experience again after 10 years without one.

And all this noise created on the internet only made people who weren't following releases realize that a new SimCity game released.

Honestly, after the first two days of barely being able to play, it's been fun since. Playing with your friends is a blast.

I'm not against the concept of always online, as long as there is clear value to why I need to be connected, and the developer is actually prepared come launch day.

The game definitely has issues still (traffic issues, lack of cheetah speed still among others), but I still think it's a really fun game. Haters gonna hate I guess.

ElRenoRaven

Well welcome to our always online required DRM folks. This and Diablo 3 have just proven that there are too many sheep willing to buy anything that these scumbags shove down their throats.

guek

Banned
if sales freeze below 1.5mil though, it'd still send a strong message to EA.

That probably wont happen though. I see it selling millions more over time based on the name alone :-(

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Even after everything out there, one of my fucking idiot friends bought this knowing full well the rep it was getting, and has predictably been underwhelmed.

The general populace are just damn suckers for brand name games. Like moths to the flame.

if sales freeze below 1.5mil though, it'd still send a strong message to EA.

That probably wont happen though. I see it selling millions more over time based on the name alone :-(

If you buy the game now you get a free game! *sales increase*

iryZxW47dfHQh.gif

Then again, even Dragon Age 2 sold something like 1 million copies 2 weeks post launch. Kind of depressing when a game with as catastrophic a launch as you can get can still muscle its way to a million plus copies sold.

“SimCity is one of the storied brands in gaming, and Maxis delivered a game re-envisioned and engineered for the online age.”

WNSDjLe.png

Everything is intelligently simulated in this new SimCity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g418BSF6XBQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVPk1aK7BUA

from all of the Sims in a city

GetFudgedPopulation()

No longer are players relegated to playing one single city, now they can manage and play up to 16 cities at once. Each city can have different specializations; they can share services and trade resources; they can help or even hinder each other; every decision a player makes in each city has impact in the broader region.

rzhEhIr.jpg

For the first time in the series multiplayer is added to the gameplay

yM1pNxZ.gif

Underpinning SimCity is a live service that simulates real-time updates and pushes them to players in the form of new challenges and achievements. Players will track their progression alongside their friends and the world for the most polluted city, the richest city and more.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/07/non-critical-simcity-features-disabled-to-improve-server-issue/

If you buy the game now you get a free game! *sales increase*
Yep. They're even managing to give it a second wind on the back of a debacle.
This whole ordeal has made pretty clear we have the industry we deserve.

I hope all these journos get a bonus for their great work, despite all the Internet bullying they suffered.

Killer

Banned

game is about 10 hours of fun then it falls apart when many issues become apparent .

Tiktaalik

Lots of day one sales, but there's going to be zero good word of mouth on this title unless EA quickly pushes out a ton of fixes. Among my friends one person bought it day one, but he has no one to play it with, because everyone else is waiting on everything else to be fixed before (maybe) jumping in.

TedNindo

Then again, even Dragon Age 2 sold something like 1 million copies 2 weeks post launch. Kind of depressing when a game with as catastrophic a launch as you can get can still muscle its way to a million plus copies sold.

The launch wouldn't have been catastrophic if hardly anyone bought it. Soooo... yeah. I don't know what you expected.

haikira

9ox0xgij0b.gif

The likes of Aliens: Colonial Marines, Sim City and Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City are proof you don't need a quality product, to sell millions. Just shady practices and a brand people trust. There are a lot of cynical opinions on Gaf, that i don't normally see eye to eye on. But people really need to be smarter with what they spend their 60 bucks on.

noobasuar

Banned
MEH those sales don't sound all that great and hopefully they fall of a cliff.

Also you can trick the people that buy your games numerous times for various reasons but sooner or later they will get fed up with it and stop purchasing the games that you put out. It's not worth the short term profits to fuck up your relationship with your customers.

Top Bottom