• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity sells over 1.1 million copies in two weeks, biggest SimCity launch ever

Bubbles-trailer-park-boys-eyes.gif

Imagine how many they would have sold if the game worked/didn't suck.

Those reviews on Amazon aren't going to help going forward. I take solace in that. So glad I didn't reward them for this product.

elelunicy

To the group of people who always complain about DRM and act so self-entitled: guess what, you are just the small vocal minority. For a big publisher like EA they won't care if you don't buy their games. They may have lost you as a customer, but they will always find their audience somewhere else.

Mrbob

Everyone knew it was going to sell well at launch. This was the first new Sim City in about a decade. The real test in Sim City 6. And the long tail of Sim City 5.

conman

Makes an even stronger case for the importance and relevance of the indie space.

If this is the future of AAA gaming, so long and good riddance.

All terrible launch issues aside, it's a really great game.

I didn't think I was going to like the multiple cities requirement, but it's very addictive. Really enjoying this game now that it works.

So are cigarettes if you can get over the addictive nature, poisons and the cancer n' junk.

EA got away with it.

They're like a much less likable Keyser Soze.

The game itself is decent right? It's just the online crap that kills it? From what I've watched the game looks solid, so congrats to Maxis. EA just needs to get rid of this always-online crap. Without it the game would be better off.

Im a bit masochistic always making the possible the impossible.
Pump over 70 hours last week into simcity just to beat the stupid ass pathfinding i like to do that kind of stuff it adds a challenge. And fail miserable when approaching fudged 200k+ citizens after 6 hours or so. Thats is more then i can pump into an uncharted,halo 4(rip) :'( or other cinematic games that feels like movies and not like games i personally like..

todahawk

Out of those 1.1 million how many were Origin customers that were refused refunds?
How many returns at retail and online (Amazon)?
How many pissed off customers who won't buy again?

We'll see next month what the numbers look like... and how future DLC sells.

I'm worried about what EA will do with Battlefield 4 after this and Dead Space 3's micro-transactions.

1.1 million copies of free games will also be given away

Not likely even close. And those free games being given out won't cost them much of anything to give away, while most have tons of DLC schemes to sell. Folks in the free game thread already talking about getting free game and picking up dlc for it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Like Alien: Colonial Marines those are the front-loaded sales for the time of release, you know, before the bad worth of mouth killed this thing.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Did they really sell that many copies or did they use simcity.GetFudgedPopulation()?

Despite all the shit, EA probably made money off of this anyway. Like a shitty cash-in movie that sold $60 tickets.

FuturusX

To the group of people who always complain about DRM and act so self-entitled: guess what, you are just the small vocal minority. For a big publisher like EA they won't care if you don't buy their games. They may have lost you as a customer, but they will always find their audience somewhere else.

There's a sucker born every minute...yeah we know.

Z3M0G

No longer are players relegated to playing one single city, now they can manage and play up to 16 cities at once. Each city can have different specializations; they can share services and trade resources; they can help or even hinder each other; every decision a player makes in each city has impact in the broader region.

rzhEhIr.jpg

Awesome post, but can someone explain this part to me?

I bet these numbers would be different if it wasn't for this dumb pre-order culture.
Do we have numbers on pre-orders? I'm curious as to how many people jumped in before all the negative word-of-mouth started and how many bought it afterwards out of ignorance/carelessness.

You'd think most of those sales are from casual types who don't pre-order (or do much research on a product)

Xater

Someone should start up a thread and start shitting on people who pre-order games on blind faith.

It's not just the people who buy it but also the publishers who have been trying there best to get people to pre-order everything. Trailer and commercials with the reminder that they can pre-order the game, all these dumb incentives....

Almighty

Sounds about right. This game was going to push large numbers at launch pretty much no matter what. First SimCity in ten years and all that. In my opinion anyone who thought otherwise was setting themselves up for disappointment.

Anyway you aren't going to see the effect(if any) of the awful launch and allegedly terrible design(I say allegedly because I haven't play it) in these numbers. I assume most of them were bought before the shit really hit the fan. The effect or lack thereof will be apparent by how long the tail for this game is.

If my memory serves me right Dragon Age 2 is a good example of that I am thinking of. That game had a big launch then was killed by word of mouth. I don't think it ever hit DAO numbers.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The game itself is decent right? It's just the online crap that kills it? From what I've watched the game looks solid, so congrats to Maxis. EA just needs to get rid of this always-online crap. Without it the game would be better off.

Nope. Its inner workings are also awful compared to Sim City 4. From smaller workspaces to terrible pathfinding.

LogicStep

You guys can say whatever about the game. The game is fun as hell. It is pissing me off though with its bullshit crashes and not being able to load my city, or the other changes that kinda suck like the size of the damn city. But when it works, it's wonderful!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
tropico4 seems like the favored goto atm. I havent played but looks pretty good so next steam sale ill be grabbing it.

The comparison is only skin deep though. Tropico 4 (and series in general barring 2) is more focused on simulating you as a corrupt Banana Republic president than anything of being a SimCity game.

The comparison is only skin deep though. Tropico 4 (and series in general barring 2) is more focused on simulating you as a corrupt Banana Republic president than anything of being a SimCity game.

oh so its more of a EA sim then?

i havent played but it seems to be the closest available...at least thats the impression i got.
seems sim4 still holds the crown

Top Bottom