• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

No buletin

Edit: NVM when she lands it will be published. Probably writing it on flight.

"WASHINGTON LOCAL KIKI WOLFKILL CAUSES PLANE CRASH DUE TO ELECTRONIC INTERFERENCE: NEWS AT 11"

What does everyone think of the "it's not overpowered if everyone can use it" design philosophy?

I think it's fine as long as you apply it to every aspect of the game, and not singular facets. See Brawl- for examples (everyone's given godlike OP abilities).

Played some ODST FF today, still an awesome experience.

I miss the invincible chieftains and the fear they cause.

I feel kind of the opposite about Chieftans; after working for Endure they became really predictable. It's absolutely brilliant how Bungie changed their AI patterns to specifically counter it in Reach though (sidestepping off to the left causes them to initiate an instakill swing).

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
You'll all be knee deep in TU info by the end of this weekend. Perhaps a couple of you will even offer their own impressions...

I imagine this was answered in one of these OTs, but is there any way for me to play Spops offline? I'm almost certain it was said you could play the episodes locally once they were 'downloaded'.

blamite

That's actually the extra epilogue, if you will, you unlock by entering in the waypoint code. It's not in the book (and for good reason, in my opinion; doesn't fit with the rest of it.)

Woah, that code actually gives a 40 minute video now instead of just the test pattern that was there yesterday. Cool. Is it spoilery for the book at all, or would it be fine to watch it before reading?

cross posting from the pax thread on the gaming side...

We're sending out the official announcement in about six hours, but I just wanted to drop this off before I didn't have another chance.

We just posted the official streaming schedule, for those who can't make it to PAX East: http://blog.twitch.tv/2013/03/everything-you-need-to-know-about-twitch-at-pax-east-2013/

PAX themselves will be streaming a ton of content from both the Main and Naga theaters, which make up the bulk of major sessions, including the concerts. From the Twitch booth, we'll have some great stuff of our own, including..

- The first live gameplay of Diablo III running on PS3
- Siglemic performing live Super Mario 64 speedruns each day
- Daily shows of Injustice: Gods Among Us
- Cosplay contest on Sunday

I'm really looking forward to the show this year, so I hope to see some GAFers at the booth!

doesn't look like the halo panel will be streamed

Fotos

cross posting from the pax thread on the gaming side...

doesn't look like the halo panel will be streamed

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

images

You can only play them locally single-player

Alright this is good news...

while connected to Live

Well good thing my xbox is wireless

and being Gold.

123616237.jpg

Words cannot even begin to express my disappointment, so this picture will have to do.

Though I don't suppose it matters. I can't say I'm a fan of the combat or the direction the narrative took. I'm having a blast with firefight still and I don't see myself sacrificing that freedom anytime soon.

Words cannot even begin to express my disappointment, so this picture will have to do.

son this meme is like five fucking years old.jpg

It may not be the best solution but David's confirmed on here it's the reason they effectively shipped a second campaign for free. If it was available online it would have been paid DLC and completely killed its chances.

Madness

It may not be the best solution but David's confirmed on here it's the reason they effectively shipped a second campaign for free. If it was available online it would have been paid DLC and completely killed its chances.

I don't understand? How is restricting it to Xbox Live Gold making them any money? I mean I get that more people will buy Gold to play it, but I'm guessing the majority of people already had gold no?

And if it was paid DLC, then they'd have no reason to cut firefight no? This is probably the worst featured Halo game made, and someone who doesn't have any live, can only play campaign or local multiplayer. And even then, there is no campaign theater or scoring so he has very reasons to replay campaign.

Not that I mind, I've always had Gold, but it's a dumb reason.

I don't understand? How is restricting it to Xbox Live Gold making them any money? I mean I get that more people will buy Gold to play it, but I'm guessing the majority of people already had gold no?

And if it was paid DLC, then they'd have no reason to cut firefight no? This is probably the worst featured Halo game made, and someone who doesn't have any live, can only play campaign or local multiplayer. And even then, there is no campaign theater or scoring so he has very reasons to replay campaign.

Not that I mind, I've always had Gold, but it's a dumb reason.

I would assume that (gasp!) it's not a matter of making more money, but that 343 is one of Microsoft's most prestigious first-party companies and they'd probably cut them more slack comparatively, considering people are basically paying $60 for episodic campaign in the first place.

For all we know Halo 4 having poor sales could have meant Spartan Ops ended up on the cutting room floor following the Episode 1-5 hiatus.

orznge

Banned
"WASHINGTON LOCAL KIKI WOLFKILL CAUSES PLANE CRASH DUE TO ELECTRONIC INTERFERENCE: NEWS AT 11"

I think it's fine as long as you apply it to every aspect of the game, and not singular facets. See Brawl- for examples (everyone's given godlike OP abilities).

I feel kind of the opposite about Chieftans; after working for Endure they became really predictable. It's absolutely brilliant how Bungie changed their AI patterns to specifically counter it in Reach though (sidestepping off to the left causes them to initiate an instakill swing).

dude Brawl- is so much fun

Fotos

Story time. So a pretty weird couple of weeks. Last week in the bathroom at my school someone wrote that they were going to shoot everyone at school on March 14th. It was all over the local news and cops were at our school for the rest of the week. People took it way to seriously and on the 14th only half of the school showed up. Nothing ended up happening. Now today another threat was written to the school today saying they are going to kill everyone. What the fuck are wrong with people these days?

But on the plus side I finally got to SR130. Try to to both Campaign challenges this week at the same time by yourself and you will go insane.

gAg CruSh3r

Hi. So it's Wednesday and the picks for the HaloGAF bracket challenge march madness extraordinaire (tm) are due by tomorrow evening.

If you're still interested in participating but haven't yet sent me a PM about joining (for the chance at a mysterious grand prize!) go ahead!

Don't be a babby, join and have fun!

I would join but I'm not to big into basketball... I like watching it but not a fan :)..

Nebula

Hi. So it's Wednesday and the picks for the HaloGAF bracket challenge march madness extraordinaire (tm) are due by tomorrow evening.

If you're still interested in participating but haven't yet sent me a PM about joining (for the chance at a mysterious grand prize!) go ahead!

Don't be a babby, join and have fun!

So, uh, what is this about? Like we go on Halo 4 and have 1 v 1s or something and winners go forward until 1 perosn remains?

Everyones invited send heckfu pms (also i can link it in a pm) if you want in, you dont really need to know much and can fill a blind bracket or just read a bit about each team and their starting lineup.

Certain things you should know like theres never been a 1-16 seed upset. All four 1 seeds have only matched up in the final four once so far so someone is likely to get upset before then. Theres like a 1 in 36million chance youll get every pick right and its never been done. Villanova won the championship before as an 8 seed, the lowest seed to ever win the tourney.

Most picks are straight forward and you'd be crazy or have some sort of knowledge to pick the upset...however generally if theres an upset everyone gets screwed equally. Pick what you think will happen.

Anddd there may be prizes or there may not be. Plus you'll start to understand the reason its such an awesome time...

Good to see a title update finally coming. Really interested to see what they come up with. I have high hopes because it's taken this long, but my expectations are pretty neutral.

I would join but I'm not to big into basketball... I like watching it but not a fan :)..

When picking your bracket it let's you see how the public has voted and how their system predits it will go. My knowledge of American geography is about the same as my knowledge of basketball. I found that, last year, I ended up just watching a few games to see how they'd go. I had a blast just watching the group scores go up and down.

I'd recommend just taking a few minutes out of your day and going for it. That goes for everyone here! Shit get's intense.

What would 343i need to do to bring the population back to H4?

1st step, acceptance.

The game didn't die because they made a shitty Halo game. It dies because they refused to fix it.

It's gotta be hard to see what a mess this game really is but sooner or later you have to admit it.

The only thing to save it is a full on rank system with a dedicated playlist for it. Then promote the shit out of it. No sprint, fix strafe, add descope, remove flinch

heckfu

Banned
I can promise there are at least two prizes but one will be US only as of now. If you win and are Euro-Gaf you'll get at least one and then the other will stay with the owner as of now.

I hate to be so cryptic but Juices and I have pretty cool prizes for the winner and want to keep it a secret!

Tawpgun

You'll all be knee deep in TU info by the end of this weekend. Perhaps a couple of you will even offer their own impressions...

TU AT PAX OH MYYYYYYYY

If you interview Tawpgun include his title as "Resident Babby"

I'm fine with this.

what? my dear brother siglemic will be doing runs all day? I should've bought PAX tickets.

Oh my laaawwwdddddddd
I can promise there are at least two prizes but one will be US only as of now. If you win and are Euro-Gaf you'll get at least one and then the other will stay with the owner as of now.

I hate to be so cryptic but Juices and I have pretty cool prizes for the winner and want to keep it a secret!

Prize is any prescription you want. And a free blowie.

I'm putting Halo 4's success down to a lot of people trusting 343 to deliver something that was better than Reach and a game that got back to being Halo.

The numbers show that they obviously didn't feel that the game did those things.

I just booted up Halo 3 to capture a clip on Heretic and man that title music is fantastic.

Yep, this guy gets it. They took everything people hated about Reach and built on it while removing core features. Also, that music when H4 boots up is hideous.

EEEEHHHHIIIHHHHEHHHHOOOOHHHHAAAAAHHHHHH

I'm right here, honey!

Top Bottom