• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts 360/PS3/WiiU/PC box art appears, 11/5/2013, rumored details

Into

Obviously it wont be next gen only, but Activision has more to gain in the long run by firmly establishing themselves on next gen consoles, because that will be their bread and butter for the next 5-6+ years.

They cannot afford to hold back and just release CoD on PS4 and 720 with slightly better graphics, when their competitors will go full out and kick their ass graphically

iMax

Fits in with the Ghost spin-off game rumoured a few years back.

I'm pretty sure Neversoft is leading this one, giving IW and Treyarch an extra year to optimise for next-gen hardware.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn't surprise me if they go with Call of Duty in SPACE sometime soon.

Well...

spacewarfare1ijg2.png
Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn85035865&docId=APP20100514081320#docIndex=20&page=1

And they were granted Extension of Time to File SOU in January this year, so who knows, it could be an upcoming title (for 2014 maybe).

Anyway, the information presented about Call of Duty: Ghosts seems reasonable to me. I'm not really into the series nor will I purchase this upcoming titles, probably, but hopefully with the imminent generation shift they can get some fresh air onto the battlefield and reinvigorate the experience (not to that of the series prior to Modern Warfare, but perhaps so that it doesn't feel like a rehash for every new entry). As for the date of the reveal, 1st of May, it seems alright connected to the reveal of Battlefield 4 on the 26th of March and Microsoft's supposed Xbox Event on the 27th of April.

That being said, the stripped-down, modern day weapons thing makes sense from the point of view that developers have not had a lot of time with finalised dev kits, which reminds me of the situation last gen, where the 360/PS3 versions of games often had less in the way of features than the older consoles.

On the other hand, that would not have stopped IW from developing the "next-gen" version on PC and then porting their work over.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Next gen only makes sense. It'll sell the shit out of some consoles.

It makes no sense coming from a non-hardware maker to be exclusive on next-gen. I don't believe it for a second, unless there will also be some other sort of CoD releasing on current gen hardware that is different. They would be going from 20 million to 2 million in sales.

KAL2006

Banned
I think Activision has a full blown nextgen COD game in the making that would release on 720 and PS4. Activision have to look at it as long term. If Battlefield 4 is this big graphics beast with 32 player matches, ships and etc that looks truly like a text gen game, and Activision just release another rehash entry where PS4/720 just look like PC versions of Black Ops 2, then mindshare would be that Battlefield 4 is the go to next gen shooter. Which would be bad for Activision in the long term as people would look forward to the next entry more for Battlefield franchise as they have decided it is the go to shooter franchise for next gen.

Best thing for Activision to do is release a next gen COD game thats on a new engine that would blow peoples minds, and release the sequel to Modern Warfare which run on current engine on PS3/360.

kaskade

The next gen only thing is the only thing that is weird to me. I don't know if Activision would want to skip out on current gen. I could see there being a dumbed down version. Sony and MS would definitely need to be working with them if that were to happen though because that's really more to their benefit. It would be a great system seller. I wouldn't mind a next-gen CoD, I just want a large user base to play with.

kuYuri

Are these new consoles adding extra buttons too? Adding lean to the game on console would require extra buttons unless they change the now very standard control scheme.

Also, while I find it totally believable that the game will only be on next-gen consoles, I find it kind of silly that he reports the team "struggling" to implement destructible environments when this is something that Battlefield has been doing for years on current-gen consoles.

It's not just about adding destruction, but also keeping the 60FPS. Probably also a matter of memory limitations. WaW had gore and dismemberment, but was taken out of later games due to memory limitations IIRC. Black Ops 1 only had gore in the SP campaign and zombies, but not MP.

If they want to have 60FPS and have destructibility in the environments, they need a new engine and more powerful consoles.

RedSwirl

Okay yes that sounds incredibly far fetched.

The only way I imagine this being possible is if Treyarch is simultaneously developing a different Call of Duty to be the final current gen entry.

It would be a repeat of how they entered this generation: while Infinity Ward put out COD2 on the 360 and PC, Treyarch put out Big Red One on PS2/Xbox/GCN.

jmizzal

It makes no sense coming from a non-hardware maker to be exclusive on next-gen. I don't believe it for a second, unless there will also be some other sort of CoD releasing on current gen hardware that is different. They would be going from 20 million to 2 million in sales.

Yea would be really dumb, if true it will prob be two COD games one PC,PS4,720 and the other WiiU, PS3, 360

iMax

We're not going to get Modern Warfare 4 and Call of Duty: Ghosts both launching in Holiday 2013. That makes zero sense. It'll be one or the other. If it is both, I'd bet Ghosts won't launch until early 2014. Marketing two distinct games like that effectively in one quarter will be a nightmare for Activision.

If it's Call of Duty: Ghosts, it'd be nice to see the campaign follow the events of Ghost's team pre-MW2 right up until
their demise
. Also gives a decent excuse to revisit some cool MW1-era maps in the multiplayer.

Either way, if Activision really does plan to have both titles release that close, they'd better make damn sure that Ghosts is the more compelling experience if they wanna push those next-gen sales.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
It won't be next-gen exclusive, too much money to lose. I do think they will do something with the next-gen consoles because they're going to want to be the default mp shooter next gen and that's something they'll need to start on early in the gen.

IISANDERII

Because CoD games aren't cheap to produce. They rumored to cost around 40m to develop. Why would Activision do that instead of just creating a scaled down version of the next-gen game?
Because people wouldn't buy 2 games if it's just a scaled down version of the same game.

Gorillaz

Well, it's quite possible that COD: Ghosts is a spin-off franchise destined to evolve into main series once next gen hardware sales pick up.
I thought about this for years. A spin off of the main seried but not as military or army based. Something more grounded in reality and not all movie style.

Basically what. Final Fantasy Versus(when it comes out lol) was suspose to be to FF13

Black Ops 2's future was complete and total horseshit.

Treyarch must've been on some mad drugs if they think half of the shit in the game is going to be in any military in 13 years.
Tell that to all the military and tech advisers they hired to make the game accurate.
Other than the camo nothing was too out there.

For Multiplayer the current & next gen versions could have 6 or 7 maps in common and then have 6 that are exclusive to each respective generation. This would give incentive to double dip and the PS4/720 exclusive maps would only be 'possible' on new hardware.

legacyzero

Banned

I understand, but if people are willing to buy a $60 game, and a $40 or $50 content pass for the year, I suspect that a lot of people might feel coursed into paying for a new console to get their COD fix.

Sure, it sounds stupid to level headed people, but COD.

Shady859

No way in hell it's next gen only. NO way.... It will release 11-12-13 on current generation and then release as a launch title for both next gen consoles. They will get thousands and thousands of double dippers that way including me.

Drift0r is a good source of info for in game stuff but I don't trust his "leaks" or rumors. This stuff for views... Expect a dozen more of these before solid info comes out, happens every year.

Edit: The main thing I am looking forward to hearing is how the multi-platforms will be handled will 360 vs 720 be possible?

Top Bottom