• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gregg Miller live tweets from PS4 presentation

So wait, I can use Remote Play on Vita over the internet, anywhere?

Holy shit if that's the case

You can already do that with the PSP/Vita and the PS3 but it seems with the PS4 you get the full experience and not just selected games and some features on the console like remoteplay on the PS3.

Wait if PS4 allows us to use our real (social network) name .

Wouldn't it be easier to change our social network name and import it ?

They would still need a central PSN name as the basis of the account. Importing social media will likely just provide a new photo, alternative "real name" and a list of other friends on that network with PSN id's.

Defending forcing something the majority of gamers don't want upon them... Wow.

Didn't expect any less from you. Preemptive damage control for when Microsoft forces Kinect 2 on yo it's user base I'd imagine.

Damage control? LOL. I'm a fan of doing things the right way. I was no fan of the Wii, but Nintendo did absolutely the right thing by making waggle/sensor bar standard for everybody. Not every game needed to support it but it was there for everyone regardless. Move was an option and it bombed. Kinect was an option and it succeeded marginally but still split the userbase in a shitty way. Thanks the veiled "you're a fanboy" insult. Much appreciated.

Microsoft or Sony?

Neither have said they are. Unless you've got inside info you'd like to share.

Dragon

Banned
Summary:
PS4's friend list is being expanded
Play Remote Play on Vita through home network or Internet
No support needed from devs for Remote Play besides Vita controller configuration
No support needed from devs for any streaming/uploading of videos
Controllers charge when off
Controller buttons are digital not analog
Controller keeps copy of user profile
Games are downloaded in chunks
Buy games/download demos from Playstation app on Android/iOS, immediately starts downloading on PS4
PS4 Eye can switch split-screen depending on where each player is sitting
Dedicated port for Camera, not using USB
Display true name on profile is optional, will be enabled if profile is imported from a social network, can then be turned off
Platform is 64-bit x86. Dev environment is Win7 64-bit VS2010, LLVM/Clang with C++11 support
new UI Looks a little AppleTV Netflix app with social integration crossed with flipboard
The PS4 will show the player's network at boot by default.
UI is meant to give you at a glance info without loading the game, new DLC, what friends are saying
Touchpad resolution is 1920 x 900

But surely for the PS4 to do that it would have to be always online, even when it's off. I thought people here hated the idea of that?

The always on people hate is having to be online to even play a game. The low powered state has been known since the initial presentation, and is already present in the Vita. That is actually a big benefit.

Also great to get official confirmation that Remote Play for the Vita is fully on the HW side and requires nothing from developers, and that we will be able to go in and assign the buttons not on the Vita.

Has real ID actually changed anything?
I know marketing enjoys it.
Employers do too.

Facebook is filled with the same idiocy as any other anonymous channel.

True. There will always be hateful people in this world. However, a lot of people (younger ones especially) tend to behave a little more if they think they're being watched. Think of it like a classroom. The second the teacher leaves, a lot of the kids turn into little shits. They stop when the teacher comes back.

Would it be perfect? Absolutely not, but it might deter some.

nib95

Banned
Damage control? LOL. I'm a fan of doing things the right way. I was no fan of the Wii, but Nintendo did absolutely the right thing by making waggle/sensor bar standard for everybody. Not every game needed to support it but it was there for everyone regardless. Move was an option and it bombed. Kinect was an option and it succeeded marginally but still split the userbase in a shitty way. Thanks the veiled "you're a fanboy" insult. Much appreciated.

It bombed because most people don't want it. I'm not paying for something I don't want. If Sony or Microsoft force in motion control shit in the consoles they can fuck off. That's an extra $100ish I'm inadvertently having to pay for something I don't want or will probably rarely ever use.

To want them to force it in for market profit reasoning is such a shill and anti consumer thing it boggles my mind.

Wasn't this already confirmed when they announced the PS4?

I'm not sure it was confirmed, but I sure assumed it when they said the console would always be on. To have an always-on console that can't charge the controllers while in low-power mode would have put them behind the 360.

It bombed because most people don't want it. I'm not paying for spmething I don't want. If Sony or Microsoft force in motion control shit in the consoles they can fuck off. That's an extra $100ish I'm inadvertently having to pay for something I don't want or will probably rarwly ever use.

Most people don't want motion controls yet more people bought a console with motion controls than without it? Most people don't want to buy peripherals for a device they already paid for. And devs hate it too since it immediately splits the base and limits the number of users they're marketing to.

surly

Banned
Facebook is filled with the same idiocy as any other anonymous channel.
I wouldn't say that. Look at YouTube. It's filled with people arguing over nothing, racist comments etc. and that's largely because it can be done anonymously with no accountability.

Cornbread78

Play my PS4 at work?! If they can keep the latency down, this could be absolutely massive, especially for Vita sales.

Bonner achieved.... There goes any presonal production bonuses next year..

So many quick phone calls with clients so I can get back to playing....

VITA will have to stay home, not even for break use!!!!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

I think you're confused. We don't know if a camera comes in every PS4 box. We do know the camera is an option for devs who don't have to use it.

So I'm unsure why you're so upset.

Summary:
No support needed from devs for Remote Play besides Vita controller configuration

Buy games/download demos from Playstation app on Android/iOS, immediately starts downloading on PS4
Display true name on profile is optional, will be enabled if profile is imported from a social network, can then be turned off

So good these are done on OS level.

ascii42

It bombed because most people don't want it. I'm not paying for spmething I don't want. If Sony or Microsoft force in motion control shit in the consoles they can fuck off. That's an extra $100ish I'm inadvertently having to pay for something I don't want or will probably rarwly ever use.

If it's bundled in, it probably won't cost you that much. How much do you think it actually costs to manufacture the Kinect or PS4 camera? Taking into consideration that both systems will likely be sold at a loss, it shouldn't cost you much at all.

Drago

Summary:
Platform is 64-bit x86. Dev environment is Win7 64-bit VS2010, LLVM/Clang with C++11 support
new UI Looks a little AppleTV Netflix app with social integration crossed with flipboard
The #PS4 will show the player's network at boot by default.
My personal megatons.

So hype :D

Hung_real

Summary:
UI is meant to give you at a glance info without loading the game, new DLC, what friends are saying

mark cerny pls

Summary:

My favs

Vlodril

So wait, I can use Remote Play on Vita over the internet, anywhere?

Holy shit if that's the case

That sounds too good to be true. The word of mouth for both devices would be insane. Hey i have a break. Let me play x ps4 game with my ps vita..

That sounds too good to be true. The word of mouth for both devices would be insane. Hey i have a break. Let me play x ps4 game with my ps vita..

As long as your home internet is really good, and you're at a relatively fast wifi hotspot, it should be doable.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
#PS4 RAISES THE PSN FRIEND LIMIT. #GDC

I was actually going to make a thread asking if the limit would be increased due to all the importing from social networks they want to do.

Glad to see my thoughts are confirmed.

nib95

Banned
I'm not sure it was confirmed, but I sure assumed it when they said the console would always be on. To have an always-on console that can't charge the controllers while in low-power mode would have put them behind the 360.

Most people don't want motion controls yet more people bought a console with motion controls than without it? Most people don't want to buy peripherals for a device they already paid for. And devs hate it too since it immediately splits the base and limits the number of users they're marketing to.

Are you referring to the Wii? That fad is long over. There are stats out there that clearly shows the average gamer is not only not interested in motion controls, but prefer playing without them.

And most people not wanting to buy peripherals is bull. People will buy peripherals if it offers them value proposition. But to force someone to pay for something expensive they don't want is hugely unscrupulous. I guarantee you more people will dislike being forced to pay for something they DON'T want, than people being given the option to buy an additional peripheral for something they DO want.

Your argument is baffling.

Dragon

Banned

Yeah I wonder what kind of plan Sony has for iffy internet connections. I mean sending the Vita button presses to the PS4 I wouldn't think would be too hard but sending 1080p converted to 960 x 544 must mean a decent connection. What do they do now with the PS3? Do they measure your connection each time?

Ugh, MGS is one of the main reasons I buy PS consoles and this has turned me off it completely

MGS4 didn't even use this did it?

Why is it too good to be true? PSP has done it for years.

I never got it to work well. Plus it only supported certain games. This supports all PS4 games.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Damage control? Are you out of your mind?
Most people here aren't going to give two shits about the PSeye being successful for Sony or not. It's apparently not the focus of the PS4, it's a completely optional peripheral and that's a good thing.
Guess what, if people want a console that has motion gaming as the core focus, they probably need to look elsewhere. (Hint hint, according to the rumors that is going to be Microsoft's platform.)

Your nonsense about splitting the userbase is just laughable. Most people don't want an add-on for superfluous motion gaming in the box to needlessly jack up the price, especially not on GAF.

VanWinkle

As long as your home internet is really good, and you're at a relatively fast wifi hotspot, it should be doable.

I don't think the home internet even matters when you're at home. They said the PS4 will at as a server and Vita as a client. I think it doesn't even go through your home network (unless you're in public).

Except you couldn't really do anything, and it was terribly laggy with PSP's 802.11b WiFi.

Coolwhip

Banned

I doubt people playing 2 dollar games on their iPad mini will be all too impressed with remote playing 60 dollar games on 600-700 dollar combined hardware.

Alchemist

Wait if PS4 allows us to use our real (social network) name .

Wouldn't it be easier to change our social network name and import it ?

I don't think so. Pretty sure our PSN IDs will still be the main one.

Having to explain to someone you made your account at the age of 15 every time you've been asked for it has gotten tiresome over the years ._.

sinseers

Which is one of the reasons why the PS3 was such a clusterfuck when it came to consistency (or lack thereof). Hopefully the basics like mute, cross-game invites, custom soundtracks etc. are at least standard features this time though.

That would be cool. Though many hate the paywalls of Live, you gotta hand it to them having the forethought of all those above mentioned features early on.

Yeah I wonder what kind of plan Sony has for iffy internet connections. I mean sending the Vita button presses to the PS4 I wouldn't think would be too hard but sending 1080p converted to 960 x 544 must mean a decent connection. What do they do now with the PS3? Do they measure your connection each time?

Since the PS4 has dedicated hardware for remote play, I doubt it will task the PS4 much at all. It will all rely on your connection. And, like the PSP, you can probably drop the image quality if you need to for better latency

I don't think the home internet even matters when you're at home. They said the PS4 will at as a server and Vita as a client. I think it doesn't even go through your home network.

I meant for internet remote play =)

Dragon

Banned
I doubt people playing 2 dollar games on their iPad mini will be all too impressed with remote playing 60 dollar games on 600-700 dollar combined hardware.

You mean the iPad Mini that costs 329-659 depending on storage? Why does price factor into this at all?

ascii42

The idea of it working well is what sounds too good to be true. I can see it working well at home, as it could use bluetooth for controller connectivity, like the LBP2 Vita stuff. I have my doubts about over the Internet. I have no doubt it'll be improved over the PSP, for a variety of reasons.

Top Bottom