• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miiverse improvements detailed (NWR)

Thought this deserved its own thread.

Source is NintendoWorldReport, thanks to Mpl90 for heads up
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/33674

The social network will be more deeply integrated with games.

Nintendo is planning updates to Miiverse functionality, including the ability to more deeply integrate the social network with Wii U games.

The Miiverse API will be updated in a future version of the Wii U Software Development Kit to include features to improve interactions within games, producer Kiyoshi Mizuki revealed in his GDC talk.

Full story is at the link. Summary:
  • Players will be able to send and receive comments in-game.
  • Players will be able to see 'Yeahs' in-game.
  • They can follow users, and see who users are following in-game.
  • Users will be able to launch games from Miiverse Posts
  • Launch buttons on Miiverse posts can contain program arguments, so it will be possible to boot directly to a certain level or menu in a game
  • Can work with online datastore for additional functionality
  • Mizuki posited the potential application of level editing and sharing via Miiverse;
    envisions a game where users bring the game to life (sounds very LBP)
  • User Sub-Communities (like Mario Kart 7's) are coming to Miiverse
  • Can be used to organise and hold tournaments
  • First game to use them is Wii Fit U
  • Nintendo is canvassing developers for anything else they'd like to see in the API

This stuff sounds like it will definitely improve games

iLyUoMC.jpg
Better communication without suspending the game?

GAF communities and other communities, privately match-making with one another?

This one should make Miiverse broadcasted game-invites possible

Sounds great. I hope that the Spring/Summer updates finally allow Miiverse to reach some of its higher potential not only on Wii U but 3DS and mobile as well.

Sendou

The potential with Miiverse is huge. We haven't even scratched the surface with Nintendo Land and NSMBU.

Sounds really good. No one get their hopes up with the 3DS though; its been out so long and the hardware just isn't there for a major system update to implement an integrated network.

The potential with Miiverse is huge. We haven't even scratched the surface with Nintendo Land and NSMBU.

Nope and am incredibly excited that Nintendo and Sony appear to be coming at Online from different perspectives but sound ones.
Hopefully MS is doing the same thinking and will come with their own distinct service too.

Excite.

EVH

Sounds like a promising future for this social gaming network.

Still my main concern is how will they integrate it in 3DS. I wonder if they will go completely into the OS integration with NNID, messages, etc... or it will simply consist in a separated app that is independent from the games. Hope they clarify this soon!

sakipon

Sounds awesome. But for now I'd just really want the user communities. After that it'll be easy to wait for the rest of the features.

WhyMe6

Fantastic, really looking forward to Nintendo further refining the Wii U's network capabilities. Miiverse is a wonderful idea - I don't want Twitter and Facebook in my gaming. I can't wait to buy my Wii U on
re
launch in October(ish, I'm predicting) with its fabulous launch lineup: The Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Game & Wario, NSMB U, Wind Waker HD and Nintendo Land.

andthebeatgoeson

Glad they are updating it. I'm not sure what could overcome my apathy to post about my game during my session. A good social aspect of games on the U was for NFS. I have to beat other people's time in a race to get first. That actually involved the game and not my input about the game. I guess I get apathetic because of my limited time playing games. Don't want to just be talking about the game...I have enough of that in my life.

The 'scoreboard' in NFS, where the updates about your friends are scrolling across certain screens seem cool. Or, to put it a better way, I guess I can see why some people love Xbox Live. Just seeing that some of your friends are playing something caused a reaction for me. I didn't immediately have a desire to play with them or scream cockballs over a microphone but I was curious and NFS has overtaken any other game. I had to force myself to start Monster Hunter over playing NFS. That game is damn good.

Lately it's been limiting my posts by me having to wait at least 5-10 minutes

Is it the same for everyone else? First world problem yes but I don't want to wait :p

Maybe it's all the complaining I do on there haha, earthbound must be heard and my #FreeTyson messages

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
The new additions sound great.

Miiverse was definitely one of the most impressive features about the Wii U and something I use frequently. I don't think I've ever experienced that much social/community based interaction about video games on a console before. It essentially feels like Twitter but about games, which is fine by me!

I like the idea of being able to launch a game into that specific point that someone mentioned in a post, though I wonder how that'll work across multiple games instead of just the NSMBU example.

Launch buttons on Miiverse posts can contain program arguments, so it will be possible to boot directly to a certain level or menu in a game
That's pretty cool. I wonder if some games would go so far as to let you go directly to where a screenshot was taken?
Sounds really good. No one get their hopes up with the 3DS though; its been out so long and the hardware just isn't there for a major system update to implement an integrated network.
Running a Miiverse application while a game is paused probably not, but in-game integration and a separate application would cover most needs.

Metal B

A really important feature that Miiverse needs, is a Pop-Up or a Pop-Down-Menu in the Home-Menu. So you can see who sended a private message and what did he wrote. The Home-Buttons too often blinks and you have no idea what the reason is. Even the possible option to have a Pop-Ups on the touch-screen in game would be great. A bonus would be Wii U Chat messages and going into the chat without leaving the game and visa versa.

Frodo

Players will be able to send and receive comments in-game.
Players will be able to see 'Yeahs' in-game.
Users will be able to launch games from Miiverse Posts
Launch buttons on Miiverse posts can contain program arguments, so it will be possible to boot directly to a certain level or menu in a game

Really nice features, specially the one made bold.

Miiverse is one of my favourite features, it gives such a great sense of community. This improvements certainly will help to make it even more exciting.

Mik2121

Community matchmaking would be CRAZY good, and even if they don't do it, Sony should just get this idea and implement it.

Imagine creating a community for GAF and then going to any game and set the matchmaking preferences to that community. If someone from it is online, you will automatically join their game instead of any other random game, unless they are all in a full room or something (then you could either wait or go to a public matchmaking).

Damn... I dunno, I really like this idea :)

The_Lump

Banned
Sounds great :) Launching to specific game menu etc is a key feature here. It means sending party invites straight to miiverse/receiving them and joining games from miiverse will be possible which is perfect :)

Metal B

How about something like I don't know. Leaderboards, Medals. You know. Fun stuff
Actual ... you can do this. You can create an community with your friends and send them your own achievements and game-information (like Highscores), if the game supports the function. It's is less automatic then Leaderboards, Trophies, etc., but therefore much more social and personal.

jokkir

Not sure if this is on-topic or not but...

Is it even possible to implement Miiverse on the 3DS this late in its life time? I know I would love it on my 3DS but so many good games came out for it already and those games wouldn't be present in Miiverse because of the games on using the API from the start, right?

I rarely use Miiverse but a lot of these changes sound great, especially if communities reaches its full potential. It's a shame the Wii U didn't launch with these features as it would have created a lot of buzz and interest. Once this is out I bet most of the hype will be derailed as people speculate and wonder about the PS4/Xbox social features

rpmurphy

Actual ... you can do this. You can create an community with your friends and send them your own achievements and game-information (like Highscores), if the game supports the function. It's is less automatic then Leaderboards, Trophies, etc., but therefore much more social and personal.
Posting with screencaps is one of the best features of it so far. I'm hoping that with these changes, it will be possible to do so with online games.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
All this attention to indie developers, all these tools, and all of these Miiverse improvements are the way to go for the future. Imagine the next Nintendo console (handheld or home) with all of them + brand new features from the get go. Basically, a paradise for every developer and for users, as open as possible. So many great possibilities

And they make me think the next Nintendo handheld will have a solution similar to this: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...laxy-q-smartphone-could-unfold-at-mwc-1129279 + buttons and without the phone part. So, dual screen setup for "consolelike titles" (with stereoscopic 3D for the superior screen as on 3DS )AND tablet setup for apps and games too, especially the ones coming from iOS and Android, with no limitation of the dual screen setup anymore (devs can develop with various controls setup).

Flamfas

Launching a game from Miiverse sounds rad.

Miiverse is my favorite feature of WiiU. Really excited to see this update.

Honestly, make the accounts transferrable (like PSN and XBL accounts), and Miiverse will be golden.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

How theoretical is this? Is there a game that has demonstrated some of these features and how well they would work?

linkboy

Nope and am incredibly excited that Nintendo and Sony appear to be coming at Online from different perspectives but sound ones.
Hopefully MS is doing the same thinking and will come with their own distinct service too.

Excite.

Yea, but then they'll lock it behind a Gold account.

qko

How theoretical is this? Is there a game that has demonstrated some of these features and how well they would work?

When they announced Balloon Fight on Nintendo Direct, they told people to post up high scores on Miiverse. People did, so it was a very rudimentary example. All they is necessary is creating a high score community with a moderator of sorts keeping track of that sort of info

Metal B

Those are future features for future games, shown the first time in the Nintendi Miiverse prasentation, which is the point of this thread =)

[*]Launch buttons on Miiverse posts can contain program arguments, so it will be possible to boot directly to a certain level or menu in a game
[*]Can be used to organise and hold tournaments
By the way this is a great combination. You could create a tournament and link to a specific challange inside of a game, like the challanges in New Super Mario Bros. Wii U. The person with the better score advanced in the tournament and then has to make another score against someone else. The big question is, how much options and automatic feedback is there. Like automatically catch the first score of an challange and compare it to other ones. I belive, that the person, who opened the tournaments has to moderate it and let people manually pass.

NickMitch

MiiVerse is already the best thing With the WiiU and it certainly becomes even greater With additions like these. Next the need to increase the number of friends you can have.

Iwata's post on Miiverse also shows a new improvement, he wrote his message in one single comment! Past announcements were made using various posts because of the char limit. It looked ugly and amature.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
For all the criticism Nintendo has gotten, Miiverse really did have potential to be a killer app. Interesting here, that many of the remaining features Wii U's online system didn't have like: cross-game invites, joining a game in progress or directly sending messages to users while in a game, may have been delayed because they wanted to integrate them with Miiverse very tightly.

Top Bottom