• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consumer/Developer/Retailer opinions from Japan

Branduil

Japan is proof enough that Wii won't be Gamecube all over again.

For the PS3, I don't know. I get the feeling that low-profile games won't do as well on it, while high-profile games could still sell quite well.

argon

kpop100 said:
nothing in particular was top 3 on all the system lists, interesting you decided to only post the PSP list though ;)

My statement was in response to the fact that "Nothing in Particular" was the #1 choice, especially since it's got a pretty good lineup.

miguel_c_hammer said:
Anyone else notice how XBox 360 ranked ahead of PSP in every category? :lol

I think a lot of retailers are expecting a far too early announcement of PSP2 sometime this year, which would basically slate the PSP as a lame duck of a handheld post-announcement, imo.

Parl

ethelred said:
Really? That actually surprises me that you feel that way (it echoes my own thoughts on the thing perfectly, btw).

I don't know that that will happen, honestly. Even if the PS3/Wii mirrors the PSP/DS situation perfectly, you're still going to see healthy, big budget support for the PS3. Because the truth is, the PSP has done pretty well from a hardware perspective, and it allows developers to do stuff that they'd like to do and that they couldn't do on the DS.

That's where you get stuff like Portable Ops, most of Namco Bandai's games... hell, even Crisis Core. Japanese developers and publishers will continue to put out some high profile projects for the PS3 just because the system will secure some measure of success and that'll be enough for those really high profile games.

This is true, methinks. If PS3 carves out only some success in Japan (which I think is how it'll pan out; just okay sales), it'll be from core gamers who pick up stuff like FF13, MGS4 and other big budget main franchises. Although this market is actually a limited size niche, as much as we don't like it. And a lot of PS3 buyers will be getting it for Blu-eray and won't really care about games that much, and thus, the software attach rate will be pretty crap (a la PSP).

I still expect the main bulk of main franchise series titles going on Wii eventually, though. Just as I think that FF:CC will be the last of SE's big title support for PSP.... maybe. PSP support is gonna be slow, for certain.

meltpotato said:
I think a lot of retailers are expecting a far too early announcement of PSP2 sometime this year, which would basically slate the PSP as a lame duck of a handheld post-announcement, imo.

Players
1 - Nintendo DS (311)
2 - Wii (272)
3 - Playstation 3 (106)
4 - Xbox 360 (26)
5 - Cannot predict (15)

Note to Square-Enix: Wii is going to be huge in Japan in 2007. If you can make Final Fantasy: CC for both the DS and Wii, you can do the same with Dragon Quest IX.

The sooner Japanese devs realize the Wii is not going to go the way of the GC in Japan, the sooner stuff like this can get greenlit.

The PS3 will be fine even as no.2 in Japan. They should still sell a reasonable 10+ million units there.

ethelred

soundwave05 said:
Note to Square-Enix: Wii is going to be huge in Japan in 2007. If you can make Final Fantasy: CC for both the DS and Wii, you can do the same with Dragon Quest IX.

The sooner Japanese devs realize the Wii is not going to go the way of the GC in Japan, the sooner stuff like this can get greenlit.

What the heck are you talking about? It's not like Yuji Horii is ignoring the Wii -- he's already got a major game lined up for it for early 2007, which he is personally involved in. He doesn't need to put DQIX on the Wii (it's going to be a DS exclusive) and DQS on the Wii (which looks fantastic).

FFCC on the DC and Wii are two totally separate games, not the same game put on two different platforms (as you seem to imply Horii should be doing for DQIX). It's not up to Square Enix, anyway; it's Horii's series, and he's already giving the system as major a game as he can before it's established itself enough for a main series installment.

The Wii will establish itself soon enough in Japan as the market leading platform (well, technically it already is). But DQX is a ways off, S-E should certainly consider a Wii version or companion of DQIX in the iterim sometime after the DS version is released.

DQ Swords does look cool though.

dyls

Question 1: What will be hot in 2007?

Makers
1 - Wii (24)
2 - Cannot predict (8)
3 - Nintendo DS (5)
4 - Network related games (2)
4 - Hardware peripherals (2)

Question 2: Which hardware will have the best sales?

Makers
1 - Nintendo DS (34)
2 - Wii (13)
3 - Playstation 3 (2)

Not a ringing endorsement for the PS3 from those who make the games.

ethelred

soundwave05 said:
The Wii will establish itself soon enough in Japan as the market leading platform (well, technically it already is). But DQX is a ways off, S-E should certainly consider a Wii version or companion of DQIX in the iterim sometime after the DS version is released.

No, they shouldn't.

DQ remakes come years after the game is out, not concurrently in the form of multiple versions of a game. This isn't Final Fantasy.

And yes, the Wii will be the market leading home console, which is why, as I said, Horii is putting the most major title he can put on it for its first year and why he's doing scenario/game design himself.

Lapsed

Banned
I have not seen Drinky Crow in the Nintendo threads lately. I hope he's OK!

For the time being, I shall summon Drinky's spirit and ask what he thinks of all this.

LAPSED: What do you think of Nintendo's business strategy of expanding the demographics of game players?

catdance.gif

DRINKY: nintendo is now expanding their audience to include RETARDS. look at how stupid their new audience is! they are stupider than even the normal n-tards (which I never thought possible). not only are they paying for hardware that is a generation old, they happily pay obscene prices for archaic games on the virtual console (up to four generations old!). then they throw the controller at the TV or hurt themselves. all these waggle incidents just reveal how stupid the n-tards, old and new, actually are.

nintendo keeps going to the lowest denominators since real gamers are too smart for them nowadays. nintendo's last resort is to sell to stupider and stupider people because we, the hardcore players, grew up and stopped playing mascot breakfast cereal games.

LAPSED: Why don't you like Nintendo?

catdance.gif

DRINKY: nintendo was ok during the nes generation. from there, their games just keep getting stupider with each generation (and the n-tards get stupider along with it). REAL gamers came to their senses and jumped to genesis and playstation at the first opportunity. all these fantastic gamers jumping ship meant the 'loyal' nintendo fanbase are the retarded ones who just don't get it. nintendo fans are unemployed manchildren who are scared by mouse and keyboard and now dual analogue. no surprise they find comfort in the waggle.

LAPSED: How do you know a n-tard when you see one?

catdance.gif

DRINKY: see if the person orgasms during the intro to super smash brothers: melee.

LAPSED: Is there ANYTHING that Nintendo has done that you liked?

catdance.gif

DRINKY: yes. they offered NO KEYBOARD SUPPORT for millions of wii-tards. finally! n-tards can no longer easily talk on the internet!

LevelNth

Banned
ethelred said:
Really? That actually surprises me that you feel that way (it echoes my own thoughts on the thing perfectly, btw).
Honestly, I can't say it enough. The DSL is brilliant. And this is coming from someone who absolutely despised the original DS. I thought it was a hunky piece of shit that carried the same uninspired 'great-for-the-kids' look Nintendo has been shoveling since the original GBA.

The DSL is the biggest 180 I've ever seen a company turn in design aesthetics. Yes, it's very Apple-ish, but it works so well for Nintendo, I'm amazed no one thought of it. It's super sleek and just gives off a very 'approachable' look, if you understand what I mean by that. It's the very antithesis of intimidating, yet the touchscreen hides such a hidden complexity.

And this isn't even taking into account the software! Brain Age especially is an awesome example of the DS expanding gaming, using the touchscreen to open up a level of control complexity impossible with conventional controls. And yes, I used the word complexity, as the touchscreen allows one to do so much, no other word is better suited. However, it's also incredibly easy to manipulate, which just makes it all the more awesome.

And the best part? The sublime integration of the touchscreen and traditional controls. I can switch from one method to another effortlessly, which opens up the possibilities of the system even more. You can rely on one so much, it's as if the other isn't even there. This is hands down the biggest knock against the Wii in comparison to the DS IMO, as it is, without question, the best aspect of the DS. Best of both worlds, and anything in between.

Yikes, that was long. Sorry.

etherled said:
I don't know that that will happen, honestly. Even if the PS3/Wii mirrors the PSP/DS situation perfectly, you're still going to see healthy, big budget support for the PS3. Because the truth is, the PSP has done pretty well from a hardware perspective, and it allows developers to do stuff that they'd like to do and that they couldn't do on the DS.

That's where you get stuff like Portable Ops, most of Namco Bandai's games... hell, even Crisis Core. Japanese developers and publishers will continue to put out some high profile projects for the PS3 just because the system will secure some measure of success and that'll be enough for those really high profile games.
Honestly, PSP level support won't cut it for me. I'm more lenient for handhelds since they usually don't occupy most of my playtime, but for a major console, I want more than that. Not having the level of PSP tech for most of my handheld games is acceptable, as we've been used to that for years. Hell, in some ways the PSP is ahead of its time, and the low costs for the DS open up the possibility for very unique titles we might not get otherwise. For a major console, the story is completely different. Plus, PSP support is only getting worse each and every day, and it's only been 2 years. That's definitely not the barometer by which I hope to measure the PS3.

What I'm hoping, is that the big 4 (FFXIII, MGS4, RE5 and HSG5) push enough within the next year or so (~5m) to warrant additional support, which will then push it to the 8-10m category I'd like it to hit. At the very least, the PSP never really got titles of that caliber for its sector (mainly because Nintendo makes most all of 'em! :lol ) If I get this, I'll be pleased.

I'm really warming up to the Wii, but I'm still skeptical of the lasting power of waggle, how receptive I'll be to the tech 2-3 years from now, and I'm also just not interested in controlling the majority of my games that way. As a secondary console though that I use with family/friends mostly and the occasional SP game 8-10 time a year, I think it could be great.

justchris

The thing I find most interesting is that people actually think FFXIII will make a 2007 release. They're a lot more sure of that than I am.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
While expected since Nintendo is a giant in Japan and a giant as a game developer, it is still impressive how much momentum they have. The employees probably all pray to the almighty god that is the DS Lite as they come to work in the morning.

Though I doubted DSL would keep it's sales month after month even when it shamefully impressed month to month I hope Nintendo can go the distance with Wii. Looks like gaming wise is not all there for 2007 but the hype has never been bigger.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
justchris said:
The thing I find most interesting is that people actually think FFXIII will make a 2007 release. They're a lot more sure of that than I am.

There was a commercial on their site quoting a 2007 release for the game in Japan. They were working on this game and 12 concurrently (since 12 took so damn long). It most definitely not coming to the US 2007 but we can count on Squeenix to bring it over Xmas 2008 or before.

Novid

Banned
Well, this is not suprising. Its almost like Gen/SNES all over again.

However, I think it was about time the market split three ways. I dont think for a good while anybody would beat the DSL, but one of the reasons why the Ps3 is a slow seller, is because DVD movies over there still sell at a High Price, and now they are going to another format? I can understand there consern, but since they might wait for the major franchises, there is hope it will get 10-15 million, and hopefully something BIG happens with the TV industry in Japan to make the transtion to HD smooth, otherwise its going to be hard for Sony to make any Inroads.

Even dispite LevelNth wonderful explaination on how the DSL is great, IMO, I still will not buy it. One thing i dislike about the portibles was the large amount of shovelware. Granted, its to make a buck, but the whole "ghetto" thing rings true. Sure Brain Training and others have done well, and may be pleasing- but the DSL does nothing for me honestly. Maybe my tastes have changed, Maybe Im much more cynical- Maybe even despite the evidence, and the charts, and all the announcements and the CV games I missed playing on, It isnt enough to sway me. The GBA, despite its faults was the best damn system Ninty had in there hands- It was the start of there rebirth. Metroid Fusion is the greatest game Ninty have made, since Super Metroid. The sad news is even with all the games that have sold millions of copies for the DS/DSL, I havent seen one of them of intrest or that made me say I NEED that game. MGS:pO did for me and the PSP and I havent regretted it for a second. As for the Wii, the Classic Controler reminds me of what could have been if they didnt mess with Sony. But thats not here or there. Its been a long time coming, diffrent strokes for diffrent folks I guess.

ethelred

Novid said:
Even dispite LevelNth wonderful explaination on how the DSL is great, IMO, I still will not buy it. One thing i dislike about the portibles was the large amount of shovelware. Granted, its to make a buck, but the whole "ghetto" thing rings true.

That... makes no sense at all. You know, when you buy a system there isn't actually a mandate that you need to buy every single game licensed for release on it. The anime/kiddy/girly stuff shouldn't impact anyone's ability to play and enjoy the other pieces of software...

Novid

Banned
That... makes no sense at all. You know, when you buy a system there isn't actually a mandate that you need to buy every single game licensed for release on it. The anime/kiddy/girly stuff shouldn't impact anyone's ability to play and enjoy the other pieces of software...

I know, but back in the day i could accept it, now I just want the next great IP and I just havent seen it from the DS/DSL yet.

gconsole

justchris said:

An insider source told me that Sony force SQUEN to release FF13 in 2007. Not surprising at all.

Top Bottom