• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #393 reviews and GOTY AWARDS

Bow Down Madam Satan GIF by Tiffany
Video Games Nintendo GIF

RAIDEN1

Can't argue with Planet of Lana being an Xbox game of the year, having played it (near the end now) everything about it is on point, especially the music, atmosphere, not a half-baked game like we have been getting a lot lately, challenging puzzles for sure...give credit where credit is due so to speak..!

Dynasty8

Older people should understand the gameplay on Zelda is unmatched.

Some of the gameplay, sure. But there's also the fact that as an older gamer I want to be challenged. I found Tears very easy overall. Also the combat is definitely not "unmatched". Mediocre at best.

For me Alan Wake 2 is the best game this year. I didn’t liked the first game much, but the second game (or third if you count American Nightmare) just blew my mind.
I still think there should be an award for best level / section / chapter of the year.

Alan Wake

Planet of Lana as best Xbox game. Finally some recognition.

Don't agree with the winner of GOTY, but a solid top 10 at least.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I think Humanity is on Gamepass, might try and give it a go now.

Edit: posted too soon, it's Humankind.

Last edited:

Madflavor

If someone had told me back in May that Baldurs Gate 3 would Mop the floor with TOTK I would told that person “you’re crazy”

But here we are.

But here we are.

Imagine going from a small time studio making games from a niche genre, to not only winning GotY in the most competitive year we’ve seen in ages, but also beating out arguably the strongest opponent you can possibly face off against.

BG3 is one of the most memorable and impressive GotY wins we’ve ever seen. Imagine working on the development team in BG3 and thinking to yourself “We beat fucking Zelda.”

What is the current gotypicks site?

Also, accurate score for Avatar.

This what you’re looking for?

near

Gold Member
Cocoon is AMAZING! I'm 80% complete with it. But is Season on PS5 really that good? I've never played it.
I haven't played Season either and probably won't. Looks like a chill, indie exploration game. The gameplay loop looks boring to me, but I can see why it might be charming to someone who's into similar types of games.

Denton

BG3 is one of the most memorable and impressive GotY wins we’ve ever seen. Imagine working on the development team in BG3 and thinking to yourself “We beat fucking Zelda.”
Swen finally achieved his goal to make "very big RPG that will dwarf them all"

That said, for me personally, BG3 while great, ain't quite that yet and I hope Larian has even better game in its future.
(it is still GOTY this year though)

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
If someone had told me back in May that Baldurs Gate 3 would Mop the floor with TOTK I would told that person “you’re crazy”

But here we are.

But here we are.
poor nintendos highest scoring fastest selling exclursive this gen and still many goty awards from biggest sites like IGN

zombieland-money.gif

Zuo

But here we are.

But here we are.
This comparison doesn't even make sense given TotK is basically a glorified BotW DLC. Imagine GTA VI just reusing GTA V's world and characters with the same graphics. That TotK met this level of critical acclaim is actually insane and nothing but a testament to the quality of both BotW and TotK

Also, everybody and their mama can dole out "official" reviews and awards these days, so time-tested magazines like the EDGE, Famitsu and even IGN actually mean a bit more to me than "totals"

And all that is ignoring that the games aren't even comparable anyway

Last edited:

EDMIX

Imagine going from a small time studio making games from a niche genre, to not only winning GotY in the most competitive year we’ve seen in ages, but also beating out arguably the strongest opponent you can possibly face off against.

This what you’re looking for?
Truth

Outdoing Zelda is no small feat.

If you are releasing a year a Zelda is coming out....you fucked lol (Horizon Zero Dawn) lol

But lolz aside, even in 2017 if no Zelda came out, I don't know if HZD was taking the majority, we'd just shift that GOTY to Nier or Persona 5. BG3 is winning that shit regardless of what released this year lol

I honestly don't know what could have came out this year, that was going to top BG3.

If Zelda, Spiderman and a new fucking Bethesda game can't top it, no one was taking that GOTY away from em.

All RPGs like this should be 100% voice acted, let that be a lesson to some of these fucking publishers, stop charging full price for this text shit, its the year 2024, stop fucking cutting these damn corners lol For a AAA full priced game, I see zero fucking reason for it to simply have um "some" voice acting, if a character is saying some shit, get a voice on it.

cough, Yakuza, Zelda, Persona cough (proceeds to call out those other JRPGs charging full price for some voice acting and not all)

Zuo Zuo agreed. Keep in mind, many on here had no fucking problem attacking Ubisoft for doing this to Far Cry Primal, yet fucking really quite about Zelda doing this all while expecting a series of GOTY awards for what seems like a strong copy and paste. Keep in mind, I have nothing against them doing this as it is a sequel on the same hardware, merely that wasn't some of those fans comments when they were attacking other publishers who did this.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Can't argue with Planet of Lana being an Xbox game of the year, having played it (near the end now) everything about it is on point, especially the music, atmosphere, not a half-baked game like we have been getting a lot lately, challenging puzzles for sure...give credit where credit is due so to speak..!

I need to finish it. Got quite far and out it down for spider man. Did really enjoy it.

Also, I gotta play humanity. It must be great.

RAIDEN1

I need to finish it. Got quite far and out it down for spider man. Did really enjoy it.

Also, I gotta play humanity. It must be great.
It's worth it, (Planet of Lana) it reminds you of what gaming was once about before this new trend of games not being the finished product on arrival, or buggy etc....this has polish from start to finish, and this game is a modern day Flashback done right...

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's worth it, (Planet of Lana) it reminds you of what gaming was once about before this new trend of games not being the finished product on arrival, or buggy etc....this has polish from start to finish, and this game is a modern day Flashback done right...

I actually played quite a few hours. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm actually near the end. I loved what I played. Gonna jump back in now.

Top Bottom