• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Kerry's Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/24/kerry.2008/index.html

Thought I'd post it instead of some hater.

He's a good guy, too bad he's not president. Maybe if the "librul" media didn't endlesses repeat the Republican spin that somehow thinking about an issue for more than 2 seconds is a bad thing and drumbeat "durrr TEH FLIP FLOPPER" a hundred times a minute he would've been. But thankfully they convinced us to take Bush, strong and steady at the wheel. A man of character.

Good guy, bad candidate.

Which is sad because on paper he's a very qualified presidential hopefull. If a democrat wins in 2008 I wouldn't be surpised if he gets a cabinet job...

LordMaji

That's good, the dems need to start rallying around actual contenders. Kerry is cool, but I think the heavy hitters as of the moment is Clinton and Obama. Please Correct me if I'm wrong.

Macam

Banned
I like Kerry, in spite of his public blunders and failed campaign, but it's a smart move to sit out and we can't have every half-decent Senator running for president. Frankly, the Democratic field is just too strong right now with presidential hopefuls that I really don't see much more room for new faces.

LordMaji said:
That's good, the dems need to start rallying around actual contenders. Kerry is cool, but I think the heavy hitters as of the moment is Clinton and Obama. Please Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's scary for me as a Democrat: our 'best' hopes right now are two people who are basically incapable of being elected for non-policy reasons. I hope I'm wrong.

What a great speech, especially towards the end. For the first time I truly got the sense that he feels his vote on the war was wrong, and he seems to be intent on righting his mistake.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Whatever you think of him personally or his policies, the consensus among political professionals is that his 2004 campaign was disastrously managed. It was not the media's fault that he lost.

ToxicAdam

John Kerry reminds me of Bob Dole. They were a lot better once they lost the election. They became more human .. and less robotic and political. I don't know what the psychology involved is ... but they both seemed to loosen up (in Kerry's case a bit too much in some occasions) afterwords.

Guileless said:
Whatever you think of him personally or his policies, the consensus among political professionals is that his 2004 campaign was disastrously managed. It was not the media's fault that he lost.

Indeed. Yet even through that, he came within 100k votes of winning the presidency. The GOP should have seen the writing on the wall instead of gloating about their permanent majority. re 2008: Apparently, Obama's team has been trying to wrangle some of Kerry's Boston staff from him once he announced his attentions not to run.

terrene

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
John Kerry reminds me of Bob Dole. They were a lot better once they lost the election. They became more human .. and less robotic and political. I don't know what the psychology involved is ... but they both seemed to loosen up (in Kerry's case a bit too much in some occasions) afterwords.
I'd put Gore in that camp, too. And George H.W. is a lot more likable post-presidency. The pressure of political life must drive people crazy - I can see how people would turn into stiff little robots as they try to tow the line and be "Mr. Electable," with all the campaign advisor's feedback ringing in their ears constantly.

That said, I actually haven't seen much of Kerry since Election '04 that impresses me, and I'm glad he's out of '08. The dems need to offer something a little more intriguing this time - the Republicans have some extremely tough candidates this cycle.

terrene said:
That said, I actually haven't seen much of Kerry since Election '04 that impresses me, and I'm glad he's out of '08. The dems need to offer something a little more intriguing this time - the Republicans have some extremely tough candidates this cycle.

Surely his efforts in the 06 midterms should be lauded. No one, and I mean no one, did as much as Kerry when it came to fundraising and finding candidates in 2006. Jim Webb and Jon Tester would still be back at home if it weren't for his efforts.

terrene

Banned
Incognito said:
Surely his efforts in the 06 midterms should be lauded. No one, and I mean no one, did as much as Kerry when it came to fundraising and finding candidates in 2006. Jim Webb and Jon Tester would still be back at home if it weren't for his efforts.
Wow, I had no idea. I thought he was electoral poison in '06, especially with his "you'll end up in Iraq" gaffe. That's cool, then.

ToxicAdam said:

Post-election bearded Al Gore says 'sup.'

I hated that guy in 2004. Even though Bush was running, I was still happy when the exit polls started showing it wasn't going to happen. Just seemed like a grade A, engineered, fake candidate who probably didn't want to do the job in the first place.

And the weird thing, which has been brought up already, is that he became about 10 times more electable between '04 and '06. He started standing up for himself, he started being honest, and he actually got some stuff done. And here we are, an obviously tongue-in-cheek statement making him dead to his own party. Kinda lame. I think he would have been good for the next election cycle even if he lost (which he would because he already failed once before and people would just be too skeptical).

ToxicAdam said:
Wow, that happened in 2004?

****ing idiot.

That was just the media going for some dessert.

During 2004, the media basically made him out to be an effeminate fool when he clearly isn't, as evidenced by the way they made an issue out of his supposed botched joke, which my comment was clearly based on. And Bush into some straight talkin', man of character - "you may not agree with what he says, but you know he means it, and where he stands, blah blah blahblididdy blah blah blah."

Same thing they did to Gore in 2000.

They took Kerry leaving one word out of a sentence and basically the Republicans spun it as Kerry saying that the troops are all in Iraq because there dumb.

The Republicans knew what Kerry meant to say. The media new what Kerry meant to say. The media knew what Kerry meant to say, yet they still allowed hyped it into being the big headline issue for a week and brow-beated Kerry into apologizing.

Are you really dumb enough to say that wasn't them getting one more kick in for old times sake?

Cheebs

WasabiKing said:
He's said that, but don't tell me if he gets an Oscar that it would not change his mind.
He would if obama dropped out. There is absolutley no room for "star power" in the democratic primary. Obama sucks that up. He and Obama would be grabbing at the same "anyone but hillary" base to become the key alternative to hillary and single handily give her the nomination by splitting it.

You can't have two big all star candidates go after the same role in a primary.

SUPREME1

Banned
..of Teresa Heinz's will..?

..of hair gel..?

..of war medals to toss..?

..of the Kennel Club after it is dicovered he only looks like a dog..?

..of time to save the earth..?!?!

..of ammo in his repeating nightmare of Vietnam..?

..of candy to hand out to Vietnamese children in his repeating dream of Vietnam..?

I CAN'T BE STOPPED!

mamacint said:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/24/kerry.2008/index.html

Thought I'd post it instead of some hater.

He's a good guy, too bad he's not president. Maybe if the "librul" media didn't endlesses repeat the Republican spin that somehow thinking about an issue for more than 2 seconds is a bad thing and drumbeat "durrr TEH FLIP FLOPPER" a hundred times a minute he would've been. But thankfully they convinced us to take Bush, strong and steady at the wheel. A man of character.

Like WHO it is in the office matters. ALL politicians are self-serving assbags that couldn't care less about the "little man". He'd be just as much of a pain in the ass as Bush currently is.

The problem is that he was not any different than George W. Bush.

Both were Skull and Bones, both had the same policy on Iraq, and the remainder of their policies was either Bush or Bush-lite. It didn't help that people constantly were jabbering on about voting. The two choices were simply awful. People were discouraged from voting for Nader and the like because of the impression that things would change in 2004 if Kerry was elected.

So what can people do when there are two candidates who are pretty much the same? You go by personality. Bush tended to be a lot more human and Kerry came off poorly in almost everything.

The Anti-Bush crowd is what kept him from a Dukakis style assramming.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The Experiment said:
Bush tended to be a lot more human
Define human. This is a man who incessantly fumbles the basics of language and is so uncaring as to nonchalantly guess that 30,000 Iraqis had died due to the war. Human is not an adjective that comes to mind.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
mamacint said:
That was just the media going for some dessert.

During 2004, the media basically made him out to be an effeminate fool when he clearly isn't, as evidenced by the way they made an issue out of his supposed botched joke, which my comment was clearly based on. And Bush into some straight talkin', man of character - "you may not agree with what he says, but you know he means it, and where he stands, blah blah blahblididdy blah blah blah."

Same thing they did to Gore in 2000.

They took Kerry leaving one word out of a sentence and basically the Republicans spun it as Kerry saying that the troops are all in Iraq because there dumb.

The Republicans knew what Kerry meant to say. The media new what Kerry meant to say. The media knew what Kerry meant to say, yet they still allowed hyped it into being the big headline issue for a week and brow-beated Kerry into apologizing.

Are you really dumb enough to say that wasn't them getting one more kick in for old times sake?

you do realize that the entire democratic platform for that year was "we arent republicans!"

Diablos

:( Kerry would've been a good President, but his time has come and gone, sadly. He did the smart thing.

He was a good candidate, IMO (all he needed was Ohio). There were some things in his campaign he could have done better perhaps, as he pointed out himself. But there were some other things that I think were totally out of his control regardless. I have a lot of respect for the guy, and I HOPE he gets a cabinet position, as PD said. He deserves it.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Kerry will do his party much better by being a strong support of one of the other candidates.

Kerry's not a bad guy, but it was extremely obvious that the democratic party had way too much influence in how he would run his campaign into the ground. The reason why he was tagged as a flip-flopper is because he keeps changing his views on major issues, it was such a blunder that everyone used it against him. I have to say, if the democratic party gave him breathing room and let him impose his own will and strategy on the campaign, he would have definitely won. Then again, he should have prevented that instead of being a puppet.

I want Al Gore for president.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom