• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread April 2013: Now with GAF Gold IAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh damn. Which one is better, Pocket League Story or Cafeteria Nipponica?

They are pretty much the same thing ;)

For what it is worth, I got maybe the most hours out of PLS then any other game from them beyond game dev story. It hits all the right notes if you have at least a small interest in soccer.

Floex

Anyone tried this yet?

mzl.tzlzcysd.320x480-75.jpg

This past weekend, Konami quietly released a mobile version of its long-running Power Pros franchise onto iTunes.

Priced at $4.99, Power Pros 2013 World Baseball Classic features two game modes: exhibition and championship. Championship mode replicates the World Baseball Classic tournament, beginning with round-robin pool play and ending in a double elimination tournament.

The game's roster is modeled after this year's World Baseball Classic, including over 400 individually rated players from all 16 participating teams.

While an Android version is currently available in Japan, it has yet to appear on Google's North American marketplace. Konami states that a U.S. Android release is "coming soon."

Never played the series but always liked an over the top Bball game.

Minsc

Gold Member
Holy crap! Broken Sword 2.5 looks awesome! Has anyone here played it? The last news update on their site says that 'English Voices are still on their way', but that was in 2009. I wonder if they ever made it into the game.

I haven't played it, but the english voices have been available for quite a while, according to their website:

In addition to the English voices the patch includes French subtitles. It also encapsulates the first patch, which does not need to be installed separately.

ToxicAdam

Anyone tried this yet?

Holy crap! Power Pros is great. Played a bunch on my old Gamecube.

But it's one of those games (for me) where once you play through it once, you don't really ever want to do it again.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yep just grabbed Cafeteria. Been waiting on a price drop on that for aaaaages. I wasn't keen on Pocket League, one of only 2 (Academy) Kairosoft games I didn't get on with. Which all in all is a pretty darn good run of games.

Cafeteria is probably my favorite Kairosoft game. There's a pretty decent amount of customization once everything because available and it takes some actual effort to run your restaurant(s) efficiently. Unlike some of their games, it doesn't feel like it plays itself. Plus I think the day-to-day operations of a restaurant are just well suited for a simulation game of that flavor.

Anyone tried this yet?

I've put about 30 minutes into it. I should say I'm not a baseball fan beyond playing the occasional video game and I don't really know what else is available or what hardcore fans would want.

But based on that 30 minutes? I'd recommend it. The interface is very touch friendly and pitching and batting seems just fine for the genre. Everything has some nice charm to it and there appears to be more than enough options with things like line-ups and even manual and automatic running options and so on to add some depth.

If there isn't another game that everybody plays, I say it is well worth a go.

KingKong

Just beat Badland, that game was awesome. It doesn't start to get challenging until middle of the second set of levels but they mix up the gameplay enough all the way through and there are just some really clever sections

Meier

Finally got Cafeteria Nipponica (Sushi Spinnery is the only Kairosoft title I still don't have) and having fun with it but man it's TOUGH. I wish I could understand why I wasn't getting more people to come eat at my restaurant. In the 3rd year and still seeing around 14-15 people at most per month.

Finally got Cafeteria Nipponica (Sushi Spinnery is the only Kairosoft title I still don't have) and having fun with it but man it's TOUGH. I wish I could understand why I wasn't getting more people to come eat at my restaurant. In the 3rd year and still seeing around 14-15 people at most per month.

lol, yeah. kairosoft games are hit or miss, sometimes you just don't get it, and end up reading a guide and feeling like an idiot.

>.<

So yeah... April is slowly coming to an end, what are the odds of Syven being full of shit or not with Phoenix Wright HD coming 'april 2013' ;)

PFD

The last chapter in M&M Clash of Heroes drags on too much. I'm climbing a tower, and I keep running into more and more enemies with no end in sight. This faction sucks, and each battle takes forever. I am not enjoying the fights at all, and just wanna finish the game so that I can free up 2GB.

Fady K

Holy crap! Broken Sword 2.5 looks awesome! Has anyone here played it? The last news update on their site says that 'English Voices are still on their way', but that was in 2009. I wonder if they ever made it into the game.

It sure does, I plan to play it myself after finishing the 2nd game. The English voices are available now I believe.

Wasn't this a PSN game back in the day? How is this one, same game? Good?

You are correct Dash. It came out a few years ago. It is not bad honestly; it could have been far better but it does have a unique feeling to it. It has a decent length (6-8 hours total for all episodes) and the puzzles are pretty fun (similar to the ones in Layton). The story becomes a bit more interesting towards the end as well.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
What time are we looking at getting this? I'm pretty keen for it.

And any word on if it's freemium or paid? FWIW, I paid for Jetpack when it came out but I was never bummed that it went free :)

It's 69p / 99c. It has in-app purchases. It will be out in your region at around 11pm Wednesday.

Anilones

The last chapter in M&M Clash of Heroes drags on too much. I'm climbing a tower, and I keep running into more and more enemies with no end in sight. This faction sucks, and each battle takes forever. I am not enjoying the fights at all, and just wanna finish the game so that I can free up 2GB.
I felt exactly the same. In fact I never actually completed the game as I deleted it as soon as I met the final boss (and the two battles prior without any save option is unforgivable.)

It's 69p / 99c. It has in-app purchases. It will be out in your region at around 11pm Wednesday.

Don't normally bitch about waiting for things to go free, but I'm not paying 69p for a freemium game so I'll hold off. This is not a trend the market should support, it seems to be getting more and more common.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Don't normally bitch about waiting for things to go free, but I'm not paying 69p for a freemium game so I'll hold off. This is not a trend the market should support, it seems to be getting more and more common.

You are assuming it is a "freemium" game. What if it is balanced appropriately to be "paymium"?

Either way, it's Halfbrick! It's 69p!

Xater

I've put about 30 minutes into it. I should say I'm not a baseball fan beyond playing the occasional video game and I don't really know what else is available or what hardcore fans would want.

But based on that 30 minutes? I'd recommend it. The interface is very touch friendly and pitching and batting seems just fine for the genre. Everything has some nice charm to it and there appears to be more than enough options with things like line-ups and even manual and automatic running options and so on to add some depth.

If there isn't another game that everybody plays, I say it is well worth a go.

If it doesn't have a career/RPG mode it's missing the best part of the Power Pro games.

Rlan

It's got little IAP, but it's not made for you to require it at all. One of them is to just change the colour of your name for extra flair!

The exciting thing will be the awesome leagues system. You set up leagues and join them and try to beat each other every day. Can't wait for you guys to jump in and start some serious NeoGAF league stuff! :)

The exciting thing will be the awesome leagues system. You set up leagues and join them and try to beat each other every day. Can't wait for you guys to jump in and start some serious NeoGAF league stuff! :)

Now I kind of want it. Damnit!

Will wait for impressions, though, 'cause it's all looked a bit simple from the stuff I've seen thus far

Minsc

Gold Member
I felt exactly the same. In fact I never actually completed the game as I deleted it as soon as I met the final boss (and the two battles prior without any save option is unforgivable.)

But the final boss was so easy. See, first try too! (end game spoilers!) Though I do agree the last chapter's battles dragged on at an unforgivably slow pace for me (like 30+ mins per battle, maybe more) at the lower levels.

colinp

Banned
It's got little IAP, but it's not made for you to require it at all. One of them is to just change the colour of your name for extra flair!

Hmmm, leagues sound fun, but is it going to be like the Nimblebit games where TA wins by default every time through sheer numbers?

Shaneus

You know I'm in Australia, yes? Because you'd better not damn well get my hopes up.

So the IAP is basically to the level of that in Jetpack? That I'm fine with. I bought the coin doubler, but other than that I never felt the need to buy anything else.

PS. Leagues! I get it!

PittaGAF

Same here...as much as I was hyped and waiting for the game on iOS, I too found battles since world 3 really too long (over 30 minutes).
The fun I had in world 1 and 2 disappeared....I still have the game installed, but I completed many other games since then and I just do not feel going back.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
By now, you all probably have been wondering what the game looks like when you are actually playing it. You probably even want to play it! Alas! That, we cannot offer you. What we can offer you though, are some nice screenshots from the latest build of Castaway Paradise.

It has been a long time since we started developing Castaway Paradise. Ok.. not dinosaur-age kind of long, but still, since-the-discovery-of-Higgs-Boson-particle kind of long. By the way, did you know the word ‘dinosaur’ means ‘terrible lizard’? Weird, is it not? Dinosaurs are not lizards. But hey, who are we to argue with Wikipedia!
Anyway, we have been working hard on the game and of course want to keep you updated with the progress of the game.

The latest addition to the game, of which we showed the sketches in the last update, is the Town Hall. Our designers have been implementing the new building into the game and we can now show you this architectural masterpiece through the player’s eyes.

16-11.21.33-copy.png

In this picture you can see the gold colored vault door. Look how shiny it is! It would probably not surprise you that this vault has been designed by Impenetrable Gold Colored Vaults Inc. It may be expensive, but hey: if it can stop Tom Cruise from entering, it is worth it, right?

16-11.27.35-copy.png

If you did not know of the fact about dinosaurs, you may as well not know about the following fact: llamas are amazing upsellers. Before I met Marcèl, I did not even know I liked sunglasses and now, as you can see in the screenshot, he sold me this fabulous pair of hipster sunglasses designed by a llama designer company all the way in France of which, according to Marcèl, you probably never even have heard of.

16-11.22.09-copy.png

The third and last screenshot shows what the inventory will look like. This particular inventory is only half full, but as you spend more time in the game and complete more quests, you will get many more items to fill your rucksack.

As you can see the game is getting into great shape. The basic mechanics of the game are as good as finished, but there is still work to be done: more quests and dialogue have to be written, objects, clothing and other cool stuff has to be designed, etcetera, etcetera. We are working hard on the game and we hope you like what we have done so far. If you have any feedback, please let us know in the comments!

Ps.: We found Marcèl in real life!

pm8gm.gif

TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5auLb0IL8g
Our website

Shaneus

Looks great! What's the ETA on iOS?

(PS. I'm not sure if the typo is meant to be there on the YT account name, but I thought I'd point it out :) )

Bamihap

Looks great! What's the ETA on iOS?

(PS. I'm not sure if the typo is meant to be there on the YT account name, but I thought I'd point it out :) )
We'll softlaunch in September in Canada :). Then we'll tweak/polish the game and release it world wide.

Agate

Neo Member
Has anyone got a chance to give Cytus a try? I wanted to see what others thought...I've been playing it on my ipad and so far I love it...aside from that I've been playing Nimblequest, Sonic Dash, Lunar, and Puzzles & Dragons...does anyone else have any more recommendations? thanks in advance.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Stuff and things

I have to ask, because I know it's on a bunch of our minds...But how abundant/necessary will IAPs be? The game LOOKS amazing, but I'm worried about those little plus symbols near what appear to be currencies of sorts.

Has anyone got a chance to give Cytus a try? I wanted to see what others thought...I've been playing it on my ipad and so far I love it...aside from that I've been playing Nimblequest, Sonic Dash, Lunar, and Puzzles & Dragons...does anyone else have any more recommendations? thanks in advance.

I played Cytus a lot when it first came out. It's OK, but I found the timing to be off by just a hair, and that's a huge no-no for me and music games. Unless they tweaked it since then...

If you're into music games, you're pretty much required to give Jubeat/Jukebeat a try.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
jubeat hurts my brain.

Always found 4 buttons the max I can handle in rhythm games lol.

It took me a while before I was able to grasp the concept of 5+ buttons all over the grid, but I played a lot of IIDX in my past. The challenge of Jubeat is learning how to contort your hands to be able to hit the buttons. It boggles my mind watching YouTube videos of people doing crazy charts.

Bamihap

Thanks?
J/K!
I have to ask, because I know it's on a bunch of our minds...But how abundant/necessary will IAPs be? The game LOOKS amazing, but I'm worried about those little plus symbols near what appear to be currencies of sorts.
You don't have to pay. It'll just make things (growing stuff, building stuff) go faster. There is also a subscription that removes a lot of these grindy elements completely.

So yes, the game does ask you to pay for things. But you can easily get 99% of the experience without paying a dime. Still, we're trying to make money with our games. I hope you will enjoy the game and make a purchase once or twice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom