• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did you find GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
i had just arrived at a small nepalese village. i met a beautiful girl named pumang. and during our heated courtship, she had taught me much about her culture, her lineage, and then finally on one fateful night she introduced me to... superkyro.

Amir0x

Banned
DarthWufei told me this was the place for the absolute most up-to-date gaming news. I lurked for a very short period of time, and then registered around the time the PSP price was revealed.

I used to lurk over at GameFaqs and they kept posting links to GAF so I finally checked it out. After lurking here a bit, I finally joined. I must say, it was the best thing to come out of lurking at GameFaqs. :lol

Amir0x said:
DarthWufei told me this was the place for the absolute most up-to-date gaming news. I lurked for a very short period of time, and then registered around the time the PSP price was revealed.
You ascended to mod status in record time. I guess that happens when you have 40 posts a day.

I was a member on IGN board before it went to pay site and from there I found Gaming-Age Forum on Ezboard. Something happened to the Ezboard (GAF) back then i couldn't remember when and then i got my name transfer here ever since 'o4.

Christopher

I came for the Cajole and stayed for the Tsunami.

(...who would win in a fight? hmmm)

um I dunno I think I was searching the RE-remake becaues when I saw it in a magazine I was like omg whoa and well here I am.

bluemax

Banned
Someone posted a link on a secret board I used to post on on gamefaqs. I realized this place was way livelier than the secret board and so I started lurking. Himuro posting about BoF DQ got me to sign up finally.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Christopher said:

um I dunno I think I was searching the RE-remake becaues when I saw it in a magazine I was like omg whoa and well here I am.

:lol

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Mikazuki, an old friend of mine from the Palace chat room, told me I should come and post here.

My coworker was always on GAF, and he offered an invite. I knew I wanted to be part of GAF after reading a couple topics/replies :lol

Christopher said:

embarrassedpg3.gif

adg1034

People kept bashing these forums on N-Sider.com (not the official Nintendo NSider forums, but the N-Sider Fran Mirabella is connected with), and I eventually ended up here. Actually, I remember one of the first things I did here was follow Drinky's live coverage (of sorts) of Sony's E3 2005 briefing. I didn't have a reason to come back for a while, but sometime this past summer I started reading this more and more often, registered (with my new college email address; stupid non-acceptance of Gmail), and the rest is hystery.

kennah

A friend finally revealed the secret how he had all the news before anywhere else, I can't remember what topic it was that finally made me join rather than lurk.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I'm part of the few, the proud and the brave that were lead here by arguably the most ridiculous poster to ever grace GAF.

Olimario

miyuru

I joined in the summer of 2001. I was on PGC chat (IRC), which I had never been on before. Just a late night and I was bored, so I thought I'd check it out. Anyway, some guy named Link (yes, I STILL remember) told me GAF was where it was at. I think we were talking about this because IGN's boards were going insider-only at that time, something like that.

Anyway, here I am. I wonder if that was the same Link as who posts here?

YakiSOBA

lemeur told me as i was going in dry...

"im so going to post this on gaf when we're done"

*spits in her ass*

"whats gaf?"

The rest as they say, is history.

I found out about this place as soon as Blast City turned to shit, which my guess was the summer or fall of 2000. I then lurked for a while and then forgot about it. Then I was looking up Nintendo DS information on Google. Found the board again, registered, and here I am now.

Crab Shaker

Doesn't pay his sources
My best friend was always like "the forum, the forum" and I always shut up with your forum, then one boring summer not too long after that, I came. Bless his soul for lurking here so long.

I'm surprised at all the olimario influence. Does anyone know how's he doing? I thought he was supposed to come to my college but never heard from him again

Stage On

I can't really remember but I think I just randomly stumbled across Gaf while doing a search for some obsure rgp. For some reason while everything related to video games is in one fourm only instead of seragated like other places it's still way bizzarly less chaotic which is why I chose to stay.

Dylx

It was refrenced to many times on IGN boards, and on the PSX Nation boards.(good times there)......I remember Kaching from PsxNation as well.

Raxel

I don't remember the specifics but there was a large thread involving a user called blaster1x, Sega GT 2002 and photoshop.

KarishBHR

I can't believe I'm the only one who joined after EGM featured these forums specifically (not the site, just the forums) on their videogame website section a few years back

I used to lurk on the Working Designs message boards. At some point, Victor Ireland praised GAF as a great gaming forum, which piqued my interest. The rest is history
like WD :(

Red Scarlet

sp0rsk said:
Mikazuki, an old friend of mine from the Palace chat room, told me I should come and post here.

I'm like trunkz; Mikazuki, Shinobi, BlackClouds and trunkz/sp0rsk went on ThePalace along with me, and they would talk about GAF in 99. I eventually peeked around and started posting. They, along with nerbo had some funny things to say about the GA BREAKFAST, and nerbo had fun making fun of Drinky. So blame them!

PS-trunkz was kind of a jerk on ThePalace for awhile, and Shinobi and BlackClouds are the reasons I will never give Shenmue a try. How RPG's should be my ass! :lol

Giard

Looking for a Kaillera server to play on, I found the "evil" forum's official kaillera server. I had no idea what it was at first, so I registered there. I learned that a lot of people that got banned from another forum came here, some sort of banned members community. So I checked the other forum for fun (Gaming-Age at that time). It was about 2-3 years ago, only registered recently.

EDIT:
sp0rsk said:

Palace was AWESOME. I can't tell how many hours I spent on it...

Justin Bailey

------ ------
It was during the whole MEGATON fiasco. Someone on the n-sider boards mentioned that it spawned from some place called gaming-age so I came here to see what the insider info was :lol

AntoneM

demon said:
Haha, same here. Basically, late september/early october 1999.

Or maybe it was dcswirl.com? Some dreamcast board. I remember the forum page was mostly white...

DC United was black and red, at least that's how it was near the end. I think it changed colors at some point. Anyway, that's all I know

weepy

Stumbled upon it while looking for information about the Wii. Actaully through IGN now that I think about it. People were bitching about the unvieling of the name and...well...here I am. :)

:(

kernel

Somebody at madman's cafe posted a link to a thread made by someone from egm with the first screenshots of Castlevania for ps2. I never got to see it because you couldn't lurk without an account and it took several months for my account to get approved. I was pissed but got addicted after seeing the dancing bananas. Spit out soda over my monitor when I first saw them. And those pictures of people hugging. Hilarious. and crying purple creature.

Armitage

ninj4junpei said:
I used to lurk over at GameFaqs and they kept posting links to GAF so I finally checked it out. After lurking here a bit, I finally joined. I must say, it was the best thing to come out of lurking at GameFaqs. :lol

The same thing happened to me. I used to be totally addicted to NGG until I got banned last year, then I jumped here. Everyone on NGG always linked to Neogaf as a reputable source. :lol

Heard about it from my former addiction, The Gamespot Forums. GAF is my new addiction. Hard to believe I've been here a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom