• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Alpha Males, what have you repaired lately?

Cyberpunkd

I got inspired by this thread:

A few weeks back the toilet started leaking water into the bowl, wife told me to ignore it but then figured out the whole building will get hit by extra water charges, including us. So I had a choice:

A. Get someone to come and look, not knowing if something will be wrong and how can they fix it at once

B. Check on YouTube what to do

So I found a French (imagine that) plumber that is describing step-by-step exactly how to remove every element of my toilet model. Total time spend on YT + fixing the toilet: 1 hour.

Toilet fixed? Yes.

Sex gained? Yes.

Im The Best Lets Go GIF

What have you fixed recently GAF?

Reckheim

our furnace, the ignitor broke in half so I ordered and installed a new one.

Wouldn't exactly call my self alpha for doing that. Just simple maintenance that everyone should know regardless of gender.

Doczu

Replaced xenon bulbs in my car before putting it on sale. Officialy you need to take ofcthe bumper and remove the headlamps for it but found a guide written by a polish dude how to do it yourself. 1 hour of swearing, removing the air filter housing, fuse box and finally replaced them.

Replaced the toilet flush system from our conceiled reservoir. Needed help of my son for that cause his hands were tiny and could place the parts in place.

Oh and last week i walked half a hour in the snow to change a wheel cause my wifey hit a nasty hole in the road and popped a tire. You bet i got the kings treatment for that.

I love doing this like that, makes me feel needed. Better than the meaningless work i do for living.

Cyberpunkd

On the other hand I absolutely despise companies that make repair difficult on purpose. Even if the Dyson screws were not broken (a common problem) I would have needed to remove every single piece before making my way to replacing the trigger, which is one of the most common issues on the V12 due to shit design and them not wanting to use extra amount of plastic to strengthen the trigger (trigger costs 10€ on Amazon, Dyson charges 80€ out of warranty).

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Installed a new door knob in my sons room after my wife fucked up the screws by using the wrong screwdriver so something that simple took 15 minutes. My hands were sore and it is still loose.

No sex for me either.

Kabelly

My windshield washer fluid was low. I bought some windshield washer fluid. I filled my car up. I even had to use a funnel. Now I have windshield washer fluid!
BGPpKvt.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You know what to do - get her monochrome laser printer from Brother:

Yeah. That brother printer is amazing. I havent had to worry about replacing ink or anything in a year. Every mom and dad needs one of those. Best purchase i made in years.

Printing from phones is crazy too.

Ownage

Worked on my SUV's interior the other day. Took apart the passenger seat to find and fix a rattle. Mostly fixed it but it was jiggery yesterday. Silicon-based WD40 is good stuff.

nush

She was the breakfast.

Bruce Bogtrotter Eating GIF

Kilau

My windshield washer fluid was low. I bought some windshield washer fluid. I filled my car up. I even had to use a funnel. Now I have windshield washer fluid!
BGPpKvt.gif
Don't forget the blinker fluid, I always refill both at the same time.

Rival

Gold Member
Let’s see, recently I fixed a washing machine, a dishwasher, replaced a light switch in my bathroom, and fixed the flushing mechanism in my toilet. Next up I’ll probably go out in the woods and find a bear to wrestle then later go into the city and fist fight some communists. I’m pretty alpha.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Part of the fence needed work so I prepped it all in the garage as it is cold out then installed it (in minus freaking 20). It’s not perfect but will hold till the spring I redo the whole thing. I fixed the sliding back door to make it slide smoother. Replaced every door knob in the house with these new ones the wife wanted. Swapped out the washer and dryer lines as the other one popped out of the wall spraying water everywhere. That was last week. All small jobs but take up time.

In about two weeks I’m tearing the kitchen and flooring out of the house as the wife wants new ones (we just moved in a house that needs new stuff and the deal was I got the house I wanted if she got the kitchen she wanted). Then I’ll tear out the bathrooms and redo them this summer.

I bought a new planner too 2 weeks ago I’m excited to use. I have some old trees in the backyard I’m pulling out this spring that have a gnarled look to them that should make some great timbers for use in projects like a bench for the front door.

I’m also designing a bedroom in the basement for my kid to move into. That’s taking a bit longer than I wanted as I need to pull the windows out as they are just a bit too small so I need to cut out some concrete and replace the old windows with new ones… that’s the job I’m most dreading.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Wife wanted a new dishwasher. Turns out the previous owners, when they remodeled the kitchen, ENTOMBED the dishwasher in it's space by using a marble countertop and adding 1/2" of woodflooring, all glued down. So the old dishwasher could not be removed as the counters were technically 1/2" too short. The flooring was interlocking strips, so the fuckers COULD have just left a few pieces unglued, held in by friction to their neighbors and the shoemolding under the cabinets, but NOOOOOOOOOO, the lazy hacks just glued it all down, to hell with replacing anything.

So I got to cut out and chisel up a strip of flooring in front of the dishwasher, replace the unit, then clean up the glue, cut a new piece of flooring to fit, and replace all the shoe molding so now it looks good as new.

Did I get sex for saving us probably $1000 in "labor"? Nope. So I bought a PS5 instead :p

I don't think my wife really appreciates how rare it is for a white collar husband such as myself to do all the plumbing, home reno, and hammer pounding that I do. Are light bulbs supposed to replace themselves? Am I some sort of manual labor stooge? Nay, I say, NAY!

Dural

Wife wanted a new dishwasher. Turns out the previous owners, when they remodeled the kitchen, ENTOMBED the dishwasher in it's space by using a marble countertop and adding 1/2" of woodflooring, all glued down. So the old dishwasher could not be removed as the counters were technically 1/2" too short. The flooring was interlocking strips, so the fuckers COULD have just left a few pieces unglued, held in by friction to their neighbors and the shoemolding under the cabinets, but NOOOOOOOOOO, the lazy hacks just glued it all down, to hell with replacing anything.

So I got to cut out and chisel up a strip of flooring in front of the dishwasher, replace the unit, then clean up the glue, cut a new piece of flooring to fit, and replace all the shoe molding so now it looks good as new.

Did I get sex for saving us probably $1000 in "labor"? Nope. So I bought a PS5 instead :p

I don't think my wife really appreciates how rare it is for a white collar husband such as myself to do all the plumbing, home reno, and hammer pounding that I do. Are light bulbs supposed to replace themselves? Am I some sort of manual labor stooge? Nay, I say, NAY!

Yep, I feel the same. Our water heater recently went out, I had the old one out and the new one in the next day after work. Had no hot water for less than 24 hours. I can't imagine how much installation would have cost. When we bought our house the kitchen was shit, I tore out the entire thing and designed a new layout and installed everything other than the electrical and drywall. She actually complains because I don't get everything done right when she wants me to.

Meicyn

Gold Member
When I moved into my current house a year ago, I replaced all the faucets and the showerhead since they were made by Delta. The kitchen one would leak depending on the angle, and the shower handle was one of those shitty ones where you control flow rate by pushing or pulling. Purchased better quality ones from Moen.

One big issue though, is that the plumbing in the house was put in back in 1965 and standards were not as important then. I had to be a bit creative to make everything work since several spots had the copper piping welded, so the only solution was to cut. Used several Sharkbite fittings in several spots, going from copper in the crawlspace to PEX. It was one hell of a hack job but nothing leaks and everything works. Though given the current concerns with microplastics, I will have to reassess later.

I need to run ethernet cable and speaker wire through the attic once it warms up. Gaming on wifi is trash, and I want to upgrade to 7.1 surround. I also need to replace the doorbell transformer, it’s dead as a doornail.

GladiusFrog

I refuse to call a contractor for anything, Most house repairs just require YouTube, and time. Saved thousands of dollars DIYing.

Last thing I did was redo of the plumbing coming from the bladder tank and replaced the pressure switch + electrical going to the switch. Cost $560 for parts and took about a hour, Plumbers quoted my wife at $2200 for the same job.

Last edited:

demigod

I bought a ranch hand grille bumper to replace the front bumper of my truck. Had a coworker help me because it’s pretty hard to do considering the thing weighs 270 pounds. Hate having to drive slow at night during long drives since I’m scared of hitting deers. Took about 3 hours to do, not bad considering it was our first time.

Couple of days later I replaced my fuel filter on my truck. Never done it before. Would’ve taken less than 30 minutes but I kind of messed up and put the o-ring on incorrectly and it kept leaking gas when I started the truck up. Only hard thing was dealing with the 25 degrees weather. I think it costs $300-$400 if a mechanic replaced it.

Thanks youtube.

Cyberpunkd

I get this talk once in a while, then something like yesterday happens - a smoke detector goes off and SOMEONE needs to quickly disconnect it from the battery.

SirTerry-T

Installed some lighting and burnt some old files
That's electricity AND fire!

No sex but the wife did commend me on not killing myself and burning the house down.

Dark Star

Changed the back brake light in my Ford. Have unscrew and pop off some stuff. Bulb is like 6 bucks. If I took it to a mechanic they’d charge like a hundred bucks for the works

lem0n

I put lowering springs in my Mustang GT, as well as rear subframe centering bushings and braces.

I also fixed my sink when my fiancé put probably half a box of cooked pasta through the disposal and completely clogged the drainage pipe.

But I also went to a brewery/restaurant last night and got a cream soda instead of a beer. So it all kinda evens out.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Fixed an old Hammond organ. This isn't one of those expensive models like a B3, it was certainly a budget model made in the late 70's when solid state was replacing transistors. Everything checked out in the back. The presets were not making contact and this was leading to voltage cut-off. I cut a strip of ancient padding out from underneath all the preset buttons and that pretty much did it.

Also fixed an old upright piano basic DIY on hammers which will just drop on a string if the mechanism loses the string or spring balancing the hammer. Treble clef and I'm unsure why those ones are always breaking other than age (most of these pianos are well over 65-years old).

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
More info?

Sure. Any specific info you're interested in? I ask this seeing it initially started sooner so more like a decade and a half and it's been quite a journey with a myriad of different diagnoses from different experts and physical therapists. Besides, playing a part in it's duration and or gradation of the pain is psychosomatic.

And to be really honest, by fixed I meant I think the last one nailed it seeing the exercises really helped. But I'm still in the process of hopefully being done with it all in the coming year.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member

Dish washers are the worst. I spent an hour working on mine last night. Normally I grab a plumber for water stuff as I’ve had one too many floods in my life so I leave that to a pro I can hold accountable. But it was a simple job to reset a washer on the intake line. Needed to swap out the old brass fittings and of course it’s in a super awkward spot which takes most of the time.

The bright side, it works for the two months more I’ll need it till our new kitchen is done.

CGNoire

L
Sure. Any specific info you're interested in? I ask this seeing it initially started sooner so more like a decade and a half and it's been quite a journey with a myriad of different diagnoses from different experts and physical therapists. Besides, playing a part in it's duration and or gradation of the pain is psychosomatic.

And to be really honest, by fixed I meant I think the last one nailed it seeing the exercises really helped. But I'm still in the process of hopefully being done with it all in the coming year.
Like sciatica?

"The last one...."? Do mean operation/procedure?

Ive sciatica so was wondering.

Top Bottom