• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | April 2013 | Sacrifice your Independent Soul

Certinty

Can't wait till Thomas Was Alone tomorrow. Am pretty glad us European + members are getting it for for free.

Only got 3 exams tomorrow before I get to play it though. :(

ZeroAKA

Can't wait till Thomas Was Alone tomorrow. Am pretty glad us European + members are getting it for for free.

Only got 3 exams tomorrow before I get to play it though. :(
That's not bad. My finals begin on the week Soul Sacrifice is released, so I'll probably have to catch up with you guys later. :(

zulux21

This weeks sales
note: as always any psp/ps1 games on sale will be listed regardless if they work on the vita or not, I am still to lazy to check, so do be sure to double check before buying them for your vita

games added to vita store
Black Rock Shooter The Game (US only)
Ragnarok Tactics

PS+ deals
SoulCalibur: Broken Destiny (PS Vita) - free
Thomas was Alone – PS Plus Price $7.99
Resident Evil Director’s Cut – PS Plus Price $3.49
Resident Evil 2 – PS Plus Price $2.09
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis – PS Plus Price $2.09

Price change
Ape Quest – PSP Game (now: $7.99)
The Con – PSP Game (now: $7.99)
echochrome – PSP Game (now: $7.99)
echoshift – PSP Game (now: $9.99)
Eye of Judgement Legends – PSP Game (now: $14.99)
Fat Princess: Fistful of Cake – PSP Game (now: $14.99)
Gangs of London – PSP Game (now: $14.99)
Hot Shots Shorties Bundle – PSP Game (now: $9.99)
Hot Shots Tennis Get a Grip – PSP Game (now: $14.99)
No Heroes Allowed! – PSP Game (now: $7.99)
Ragnarok Tactics – PSP Game (now: $19.99)
Savage Moon: The Hera Campaign – PSP Game (now: $7.99)
Super Stardust Portable – PSP Game (now: $7.99)
WipeOut Pulse – PSP Game (now: $14.99)

sales
Hexyz Force – PSP Game (now: $7.49)
Zombie Tycoon – PS mini (now: $2.99)
Resident Evil: Director’s Cut – PSone Game (now: $4.99)
Resident Evil 2 – PSone Game (now: $2.99)
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis – PSone Game (now: $2.99)

No online play in GG? LOL Arc. Dunno if I'm going to bother with it then.

What I was surprised about was that the console release (PSN/Xbox360) wasn't GGPO based and was absolutely terrible. After the Blazblue games, I expected it to be fantastic, but by all accounts, it's just not good... so dropping it from the Vita (save for ad-hoc) isn't necessarily a bad thing.

depending on what your interested we have hotline miami, velocity ultra, luftrausers, Muramasa, The Jak collection, maybe some other titles. I think terraria is summer but no date yet, Lone Survivor is in july (personally excited for this one). Then after summer we have killzone, tareaway, batman....I think someone posted a list of known games for now.

I feel kind of bad for those not interested in indies, but there is actually quite abit coming that im looking forward to.

yeah i was talking more in the immediate future... hotline miami is confirmed for may? i forgot. im pretty sure velocity ultra is.

ReaperXL7

yeah i was talking more in the immediate future... hotline miami is confirmed for may? i forgot. im pretty sure velocity ultra is.

it has not been confirmed yet but it does have a "spring" release in the trailer and its been mentioned that it was in QA so may seems likely, same with luftrausers.

Velocity has been confirmed for may already though.

VanWinkle

That Soul Caliber PSP game looks almost as good as Mortal Kombat Vita lol.

Thomas Was Alone is REALLY cool so far. Puzzle platformer controlling multiple characters with a lot of great narration and personality.

Chesskid1

Banned
6uk3sOk.jpg

not sure if posted but pretty nice to be able to check youtube w/o exiting games now.

edit: oh i see it in last page, but i have a screenshot :p

hell yes

guessing the 2nd feature is for twitter?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So I guess the Soul Sacrifice OT is up now.

Sorry guys, there were just too many good titles. :(

I tried and couldn't get into the demo. Spell system just doesn't work for me. Made it up to
killing your AI partner
got owned twice and quit/deleted it to make room for ^C+R instead of banging my head against that to try the online once or twice before deleting it anyway.

Oh when will my prince (PSO2) come? :(

What I was surprised about was that the console release (PSN/Xbox360) wasn't GGPO based and was absolutely terrible. After the Blazblue games, I expected it to be fantastic, but by all accounts, it's just not good... so dropping it from the Vita (save for ad-hoc) isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Once again: 1999-2000 fighting games aren't built for online. Notice the speed of GG versus Snorblue. Yeahhhh... unless Arc totally redoes the netcode (never holding my breath) and/or reworks it it simply isn't going to work.

VanWinkle

not sure if posted but pretty nice to be able to check youtube w/o exiting games now.

edit: oh i see it in last page, but i have a screenshot :p

hell yes

guessing the 2nd feature is for twitter?

Just tried watching a YouTube video while Thomas Was Alone was in standby. Worked flawlessly. Glorious.

Now they need to update Netflix with a huge UI overhaul and this ability to use while games are still open.

Paskil

I played through Phoenix Wright the other day to get a taste for modern graphic novel games. Started playing 999 this morning on my commute. Took the dive and snagged VLR (on Vita, of course) on the Amazon lightning deal for $29.99. Better snag it quick if you want it, it's 57% sold through and the sale started ~30 minutes ago.

JoshHood

Just tried watching a YouTube video while Thomas Was Alone was in standby. Worked flawlessly. Glorious.

Now they need to update Netflix with a huge UI overhaul and this ability to use while games are still open.
...and actually release it in countries outside the US that have Netflix! Been nagging Netflix and SCEE for a year with no answer!

DiscoJer

I played through Phoenix Wright the other day to get a taste for modern graphic novel games. Started playing 999 this morning on my commute. Took the dive and snagged VLR (on Vita, of course) on the Amazon lightning deal for $29.99. Better snag it quick if you want it, it's 57% sold through and the sale started ~30 minutes ago.

Of course it's not on PSN, but the Harvey Birdman game for PSP is basically a Phoenix Wright style game.

wilflare

Nah, I write for AnalogHype.com so I just requested some extra codes to giveaway for you guys and Twitter.

nice site! :D I read some of the article, will probably visit more

on other news
(1) great job on the SS OT, ZeroAKA!
(2) I fell asleep and did not get to decide on Dragon Fantasy T_T

Paskil

Of course it's not on PSN, but the Harvey Birdman game for PSP is basically a Phoenix Wright style game.

Oh wow, I didn't even know about this. I have a local shop that carries a pretty good selection of PSP games and I've been slowly building my collection. Will keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks!

Also, have to snag Thomas.

Onemic

I just don't like the misinformation they spread about online features being a thing. I mean, even their trailer for the vita version said it would have online modes.

I still would have bought it regardless, so I can train up for the eventual patch on consoles, I just don't like how arcsys has been handling their PR recently.

I just don't like the misinformation they spread about online features being a thing. I mean, even their trailer for the vita version said it would have online modes.

I still would have bought it regardless, so I can train up for the eventual patch on consoles, I just don't like how arcsys has been handling their PR recently.
Yeah, and does it even have the option to remove the borders like the PSP games?

Seems like a really lazy effort overall.

Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny has a crazy-low file size by the way. Almost Vagrant Story levels of amazing compression. Lovely.

TheSeks

Yeah, and does it even have the option to remove the borders like the PSP games?

To be fair, it looks bad when stretched out of 4:3. Download the PSP version of ^C and see for yourself.

But yeah, unless there's an update later on (hahahahahaha) pretty lazy port. At least I get M.O.M. and all that on the go with trophies now, I guess?

To be fair, it looks bad when stretched out of 4:3. Download the PSP version of ^C and see for yourself.

But yeah, unless there's an update later on (hahahahahaha) pretty lazy port. At least I get M.O.M. and all that on the go with trophies now, I guess?
Oh, it has trophies?

Now I might have to buy this bitch
angry.gif

I thought the PSP version cropped out the vertical space to fit into 16:9 - it didn't stretch like the Capcom CPS2 ports. Referring to Midnight Carnival by the way. But it's been a long, long time so maybe I'm wrong.

TheSeks

I thought the PSP version cropped out the vertical space to fit into 16:9 - it didn't stretch like the Capcom CPS2 ports. Referring to Midnight Carnival by the way. But it's been a long, long time so maybe I'm wrong.

I don't recall it cropping the vertical. It just looks bad stretched out, but that's a given since it was never made for 16:9 like Blazblue and other Arc titles later when widescreen was adopted.

I just hope they update ad-hoc party to allow titles that aren't Blackrock on it. Blackrock is the only title so far on the system that supports that with no online options. :/

and so I can get the ad-hoc trophies in Street vs Juggle and DOA5+

Also the Biohazard sale is killer. Even the DLC for PS3 titles is on sale. CUH-RAZY.

(I need to get a $20 card and get the Bio6 DLC since it's on sale for less than like... $5-10 now)

Onemic

Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny has a crazy-low file size by the way. Almost Vagrant Story levels of amazing compression. Lovely.

I usually hate borders, but it looks better with it than stretched out.

ReaperXL7

Curious how Soul calibur looks on Vita, kind of a shame that V came out abit before the Vita did or we might have gotten there aswell. Come to think of it are there any major fighters outside of SCV, Street Fighter, and tekken that are not on Vita?

I guess also Injustice but Boon gave an indication that it could happen if the console versions were successful. Im kind of surprised Tekken is not there though.

jwk94

nice site! :D I read some of the article, will probably visit more

on other news
(1) great job on the SS OT, ZeroAKA!
(2) I fell asleep and did not get to decide on Dragon Fantasy T_T

Thanks! So I'm playing through Thomas right now and it's a lot of fun I haven't touched the Vita version as my friends wanted to watch (they're entranced by the music). The gameplay is fun. It's basically just going from level to level, trying to find a way to each shape's portal.

Once again: 1999-2000 fighting games aren't built for online. Notice the speed of GG versus Snorblue. Yeahhhh... unless Arc totally redoes the netcode (never holding my breath) and/or reworks it it simply isn't going to work.

Disagree.
I have plenty of fun with GGPO and a bunch of older releases.
If I'm not mistaken, straight up GGPO will support GG and be pretty damn playable, just like they do with JoJo's, the Darkstalkers titles, Street Fighter II/III, etc.

Onemic

Not true.

Arcsys is just being lazy with their port

GGPO has games made in that time frame that run totally fine.

The PC version of GG that has hacked online also runs fine as well.

TheSeks

People keep bringing this up as if it's gospel. GGPO is okay but it rollbacks to compensate for all the frames and shit it has to deal with to give the impression of "offline."

Just look at SF3:3rd Strike:OE's GGPO implementation to see what I mean

You can make 1995-2006'ish titles run online, but well? That's having to bend over backwards too much to do at times.

(Then again I'm still bitter that GG:XX's #Reload X-box version was basically the same shitty netcode ^C PS3 got)

Onemic

People keep bringing this up as if it's gospel. GGPO is okay but it rollbacks to compensate for all the frames and shit it has to deal with to give the impression of "offline."

You can make 1995-2006'ish titles run online, but well? That's having to bend over backwards too much to do at times.

(Then again I'm still bitter that GG:XX's #Reload X-box version was basically the same shitty netcode ^C PS3 got)

3rd strike is fine.

People still think that the game was left as is after its release and didn't get patched up. Online now is flawless and one of the most stable online fighting games you can play along with most arcsys titles not named Guilty Gear.

And GGPO isn't just ok, the thing is amazing. Why should it matter what tech they use to implement lagless online? The fact remains that the user perceives no lag in the game and that is all that should ever matter. As long as I feel that there is no lag causing me to mistime my attacks and defense, then the way the netcode deals with lag in the game is a complete non-issue.

Now that they fixed the youtube app to work when other applications are open how about fixing music unlimited. I would use it so much more if i could use it while playing a game. Why do i need offline mode when its not offline? Fix it next.

Pretty fine to me. I've never seen a rollback and I have suspect internet. Darkstalkers, MvCO, and SF3OE all play smooth as butter. Even the GGPO-esque SFxT is pretty servicable.

Meanwhile crap like the original MK9, KoF13, and UMvC3 are barely serviceable at best.

GGPO is amazing. Period.

3rd strike is fine.

People still think that the game was left as is after its release. Online now is flawless.

And GGPO isn't just ok, the thing is amazing.

Exactly.

HooYaH

Now that they fixed the youtube app to work when other applications are open how about fixing music unlimited. I would use it so much more if i could use it while playing a game. Why do i need offline mode when its not offline? Fix it next.

I just hope they revamped the whole OS when PS4 is out. Have AA on the bubbles, better system icons that aren't made by a 13 yr old, no image compressed wallpapers, a better integrated friends list (Do we need 3 apps for this?), or the ability to delete system applications (Welcome Park).

SiDCrAzY

Anyone try Draw Slasher on Vita yet?

If it's anything like the iOS version I wouldn't recommend it. Just repetitive slashing. Bought that game and regretted it almost instantly.

Fool me once...

Thomas was alone is awesome though.

8 new PS Mobile games as well.

Top Bottom