• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quick... before the impulse wears off... 360 vs PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one to get?

Right now I see it as...

Free Downloads (demos) - PS3

PS store vs XBLA - PS3 seems to be getting full modern games like gripshift & tekken. XBLA games seem pretty old small time production games.

Online gaming - virtually even... All I really care about is I can play games online.

Current library - XBox360 craps all over PS3, however PS3 just came out. If I went with PS3 I would pretty much be "hoping" for the future.

Also, does the 20GB version of the PS3 have an HDMI slot?

Dante

DemDereNads said:
Which one to get?

Right now I see it as...

PS store vs XBLA - PS3 seems to be getting full modern games like gripshift & tekken. XBLA games seem pretty old small time production games.

Online gaming - virtually even... All I really care about is I can play games online.

Current library - XBox360 craps all over PS3, however PS3 just came out. If I went with PS3 I would pretty much be "hoping" for the future.

These threads stink.......

Go with PS3 and join the Resistance clan :)

However I dont get "into" japanese style games like I used to (Im more of a gta, tony hawk, madden, etc player now, as opposed to an rpg, metal gear, player like I was at the start of ps2)

ElectricBlue187 said:
buy a PS3, it will be more impressive as an impulse when you tell others the story

Good point... also which one looks better as part of your entertainment center? as I will surely not play it anymore after a couple of days because I'm too lazy to even play video games...

DemDereNads said:
Good point... also which one looks better as part of your entertainment center? as I will surely not play it anymore after a couple of days because I'm too lazy to even play video games...

i s'pose it would depend on the color of your entertainment center

Dante

DemDereNads said:

I see what your doing here :)

SleazyC

I own both and it really depends. 360 has a great library right now and looks to get some awesome games coming up this year. PS3 has a weak library at the moment and also looks to be getting some pretty good games this year as well. I would take a look at some of the exclusive games and see what attracts you more. Do you want HD movie playback without paying extra? Do you want to take part of the wedge in Resistance :) ?

You can download demos for free on XBL.

Trials for Arcade are free, too, but if you want to play the full version, stop being cheap and pay the amount!

Mrbob

DemDereNads said:

To the PS3s credit, the system looks like a thousand dollars up close. It doesn't have that "game console" look like X360 and Wii do.

I held one the other day and realized it is the sexiest system I've ever seen.

Buying on looks is easy, get a PS3. It'll impress the ladies.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
either way, you win.

i'd say if you got the money, go ps3. but get a 360 down the road for sure.

DemDereNads said:
Which one to get?

Right now I see it as...

This is going to be locked fast. But are you serious?

The 360 has a ton of free downloadable demos . . . the PS3 only has a few Sony ones.
XBLA isn't great but blows the Sony store away.
Online . . . OK, you have to pay $50/year for Xbox live . . . but it is MUCH better implemented than Sony's system. If you want online play, but an xbox 360. Period.

Yes, the 20gb has HDMI.

I have both . . . and resistance is a nice game and the PS3 is a nice blu-ray player. But unless you are dying for Resistance or want to play Blu-Ray, get the 360.

knitoe

Easy. X360. Have owned a PS3 since November and my first game will probably be VF5. That should tell you how much I play the PS3. :lol

currently I'm a wii60 guy. I love sony's previous 2 playstations, they were my favorite/most played consoles of their respective generations.

I say if your in an impulse mood, go for the 360 now, get the PS3 when the [price drops and more games are there, it'll happen, just give PS3 some time. Right now I'm loving Gears, Lost Planet online, marble blast, ms pacman, lumines live, geometry wars....

You said you're in an impulsive mood, and it sounds like you know all the benefits the PS3 will soon be utilizing, but for fun today (if you will ultimately be getting both) I vote 360:)

Mrbob said:
To the PS3s credit, the system looks like a thousand dollars up close. It doesn't have that "game console" look like X360 and Wii do.
I held one the other day and realized it is the sexiest system I've ever seen.
Buying on looks is easy, get a PS3. It'll impress the ladies.

Who the f#$k buys a console on the way it looks? How about I take the case off my PS3 and sell it to you for $60. You'll look so cool having it. I'll play games.

speculawyer said:
This is going to be locked fast. But are you serious?

The 360 has a ton of free downloadable demos . . . the PS3 only has a few Sony ones.
XBLA isn't great but blows the Sony store away.
Online . . . OK, you have to pay $50/year for Xbox live . . . but it is MUCH better implemented than Sony's system. If you want online play, but an xbox 360. Period.

Yes, the 20gb has HDMI.

I have both . . . and resistance is a nice game and the PS3 is a nice blu-ray player. But unless you are dying for Resistance or want to play Blu-Ray, get the 360.

How common are demos on 360? Can you pretty much demo any game? or is it a select few?

Also, anyone know of any deals on either? I remember there was a buy a 360 get GoW for free, which would be nice right about now...

LuCkymoON

Banned

The great must buy games for the PS3 just aren't there yet.

DemDereNads said:
How common are demos on 360? Can you pretty much demo any game? or is it a select few?

all XBLA games have demos, and most popular releases will see a demo

Doom_Bringer said:
Resistance
Virtua Fighther 5
MotorStorm

they all say hi :)

Obviously not as good as 360 library but ANY? Get outta here man

VF5 and Motorstorm don't exist in the USA yet. And VF5 doesn't look like it will be as great as many seem to hope. NHL 2K7 is nice. But it is nice on the 360 too.

Don't buy either. I haven't played my 360 for more than 10 mins in a month, and if I had a PS3 it would be getting even less playtime. Keep your PS2 and Xbox.

C4Lukins

DemDereNads said:

The PS3 looks better if you have the top of the machine with the large logo facing outwards towards your couch (not sure if it functions from that angle). The 360 looks better from every other angle.

As for demo downloads they are also free on the 360, but with the newer demos the Gold members get them first.

They will both have a ton of great games over the next few years so it really comes down to which one you think will have the better lineup overall down the line. If I was buying one for today and the next year, 360 definetly. Buying both is the best way to go, you will miss out on some great stuff with only one system. I think you can wait a year or two on the PS3 without hating yourself.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I prefer 360. But just take a look at the Line Up and buy the system with the Line Up you prefer.

LJ11

speculawyer said:
Who the f#$k buys a console on the way it looks? How about I take the case off my PS3 and sell it to you for $60. You'll look so cool having it. I'll play games.

DemDereNads said:

I'm not taking this guy too seriously, and neither should you.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I'd be torn, PS3 has a potentially incredible library, but my overwhelming hate of every.single.thing about the SIXAXIS would push me over to the 360.

How big of a deal is it to anyone else?

rage1973

I have both and answer is 360 if you are getting it for games. 360 already has a better current games and IMO better 2007 planned lineup than PS3. PS3 has the blueray advantage if you plan to use that feature and nice blueray releases upcoming in 2007.

Mrbob

speculawyer said:

Hahahahahahahaha.

I'm not taking this guy too seriously, and neither should you.

That was meant as a joke :p I don't really care how each looks, however whichever I buy will spend far mroe time sitting there than being played.

Think I'm going to go 360 for now, and in a years or so time, look into the PS3.

Hell, I just started to become interested in the 360 and it's been out for over a year.

Will take a few years before the 360 is even maxxed out and the PS3 technical advantages start to show, if they even do at all.

Kolgar

The games library is bursting with goodness.

I just bought a PS3 for movies, but I don't see it competing with my 360 as a games machine for a good long while.

DemDereNads said:

Also, anyone know of any deals on either? I remember there was a buy a 360 get GoW for free, which would be nice right about now...

There are 61 demos of full games right now that I can see. The reason you see so much talk about the PS3 demos is because they have so few real games to play.

I don't hate the PS3. I have one. I hope lots of good games come out for it. But for the foreseeable future, the xbox 360 is a much better game machine.

Question on warranty, as I will definitely need one with the 360 track record...

How much are the warranties at a game store compared to one at Walmart or Target?

SleazyC

speculawyer said:
VF5 and Motorstorm don't exist in the USA yet. And VF5 doesn't look like it will be as great as many seem to hope. NHL 2K7 is nice. But it is nice on the 360 too.
Well it got good reviews (although reviews aren't the end all) and some of our importing forum goers have commented on it being a solid game. I think you are looking at the sales side of it too much :D

DemDereNads said:
Question on warranty, as I will definitely need one with the 360 track record...

How much are the warranties at a game store compared to one at Walmart or Target?
I think a lot of people have had success with Best Buy's extended warranty as far as 360's go.

M_A_C

DemDereNads said:
Which one to get?

Right now I see it as...

Wrong. PS3 Doesn't even have any EA demos yet. I've been playing NBA Street and Def Jam Icon all day. Not to mention all the other free demos on Live for just about every game you would like to check out.

DemDereNads said:

Wrong. I'd take Lumines over both of those games. Add to the fact that most every game has online leaderboards and multiplayer.

DemDereNads said:

Wrong. Xbox Live is head and shoulders above PSN in every way.

DemDereNads said:

Yes you are correct here my good man.

LJ11

Get a 360 if you want to play games.

speculawyer said:
And VF5 doesn't look like it will be as great as many seem to hope.

What was the last VF you played? IF 5 is like 4 with better graphics, I'll be a happy man.

Rorschach

Buy an in-store 2 year warranty. If you do it with MS, you'll have to go through all the hoops and you'll be consoless for weeks. If you get it from a store, you can just go in, replace it and go home with a brand new console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom