• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus new free games slammed as 'all-time low' by frustrated fans

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

With the PlayStation Plus subscription recently being increased by 33%, members were optimistic that this would mean a better selection of games being added to the monthly catalogue. However, that does not seem to be the case as November is already being slated as an “all-time low” by frustrated fans.

Alongside Dragon Ball: The Breakers and Aliens Fireteam Elite, November’s PS Plus lineup also includes Mafia II: Definitive Edition and although it is a good game, it is still merely a remaster of a 2010 release. As a result, fans are calling the inclusion “lazy”, with some even going as far as to cancel their subscriptions.

“Literally since the price increased the quality has dropped dramatically! What the hell is going on? The new games are worse than the ones on PSNow!” ranted one subscriber in r/PlayStationPlus. Another fan believes this is all a ploy by Sony, “Such a trash line up”, they wrote. “At this point I’m pretty convinced they must book contracts for these games ages ago and these are leftovers they had to squeeze out before maybe better ones they have planned for Dec / Jan when people are getting a new PS5 so they buy the service.”
“For those about to say Mafia 2 is decent - it’s what? A 10-year old PS3 game? It should be added to the other tier of PS3 games that just get slotted in monthly, not ‘let’s take a mediocre remaster and hand it out like it’s an actual PS4/PS5 game’”, they added.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That 33% price increase working wonders.

Premium tier subbers got 100 old movies, and if it wasnt for the price increase PS fans would had probably got Mafia II: Standard Edition.

I thought the Aliens game this month was Dark Descent ... realising it is actually the one that has already been on Gamepass I'm more on the shit month side now

The Quest 3 has it's own version of this where you get 2 included VR games each month. I get 6 months included with the headset as a trial.
I kept hoping that PSVR2 would get a game or 2 but no luck.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

PS plus and Xbox core where you have to pay money just to play online is a scam. its not like I am playing COD for example under their server.

This needs to stop. if you wanna do it, do it right where you can play online for free, but if you sub, you get awesome games for decent price.

what they are asking now is just garbage

People really should stop giving them money like that.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's been kicking ass the past few months. People will complain about everyting.

The complaints against PlayStation will rise considerably from the online discourse types. PlayStation won't be able to keep up with XBox in terms of news + release cadence. Plus, their GAAS focus will continue enraging them.

300-fight-in-the-shade.gif

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I have never known PlayStation Plus to be excellent. I would have classified it as "alright". In my opinion, Xbox Live Gold was both first and better. Having said that, I'm a PC gamer now which means that maybe times have changed and I just haven't been around to see it.

Last edited:
I have never known PlayStation Plus to be excellent. I would have classified it as "alright". In my opinion, Xbox Live Gold was both first and better. Having said that, I'm a PC gamer now which means that maybe times have changed and I just haven't been around to see it.

Xbox Live Gold was irredeemable trash for several years until it was completely cancelled recently. Now it’s Game Pass Core which is still worse than PS Plus Essential IMO.

Quantum253

So when talking about value over cost. What tier is being referred to? I only pay for the basic and there hasn't been anything that has made me want to instantly download and play for months. I'll add them to the collection, but don't think I'd ever play any of them.....This makes me now think why even bother to go through and claim them

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Man, they increased the price and lowered the quality of the games. I've been a PS+ subscriber from day one, literally day one, way back on the PS3 (remember how cool that show Qore was back when 1080p was like the most dazzling new media invention?). But I am starting to question whether or not I need it now.

Majormaxxx

First Mafia was great, is Mafia 2 any good?
Yes it's good but:

1.looks ps3 gen, especially if you play it after m1 remaster Just higher res.
2.driving point to point gets repetitive and a drag.
3.you drive from hub to mission. Can't free roam really like in gta. But it's the same in m1 so this doesn't count.

SodaZA

There have been a lot worse months
Mafia alone makes it an ok month, if you don't own it already

Three

There have been a lot worse months
Mafia alone makes it an ok month, if you don't own it already

Pretty much. It was an average essentials month. Kind of meh but nothing close to "all time low", the hyperbole is off the charts with that claim/title coming from 1 reddit comment. Also the OP hasn't linked the post properly.

The actual author/article is this one, and it looks like they have an axe to grind with 2 articles in two days about these PS+ essential games.

Last edited:
I mean, with the 33% price increase that happened, it's 100% understandable.

If this was the old price, no one would complain.
The price went up which sucks for everyone but why do people think we're now going to get top rated recent releases?

StueyDuck

I think it's a poop month as much as the rest, but do we always have to be so over reactionary and act like it's a controversy.

Like it's a shit month, either cancel or don't.

Pallas

Gold Member
OP stop trying to make this out to be some big deal. Your attempts at spewing PS negativity are obvious.
Sony really doesn’t need help with the negative press lately.

Maybe this was planned before the price increase, then it’s pretty shitty timing. Still, this isn’t as bad as those after years of games with gold after Gamepass launch and the threads that followed it each month.

Sony will live lol

Top Bottom