• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODIN SPHERE (Atlus/Vanillaware) thread of Unlimited Awesome (MUST SEE)

TreIII

Amir0x said:
in a fantasy world where 3D games were never invented, imagine all the top games looking at this level of 2D

imagine in awe

Just this level? I could easily imagine a world where the best 2D stuff could look like anything from this, to playable Miyazaki films and so on down the line...

However, such as it is, we live in the world we live in, and there's nothing we can do to change that.

Or, at least, besides purchasing this game, and letting Vanillaware, Atlus and the industry at large know that THIS is what a lot of us could want. If this game were to really take off and start something...might Konami, Capcom, and etc. be more inclined to go back to their 2d-tastic ways too, so that 2D can truly co-exist with 3D peacefully? Let's try imagining that... ^_^

But any way...Day 1 IMPORT purchase. It may come to the states, or it may not, but I don't intend to be a wallflower at this upcoming party. :D

schild

NEWS:

Attached is the press release to announcing Atlus' acquisition of the North
American publishing rights to Odin Sphere, a beautiful and challenging new
action RPG exclusively for the PlayStationR2 computer entertainment system!

Done and done.

Symytry

Atlus might as well just translate this along with Princess Crown, and put the Saturn disc in the Odin Sphere case :D

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
IRVINE, CALIFORNIA — FEBRUARY 9, 2007 — Atlus U.S.A., Inc., a leading publisher of interactive
entertainment, today announced the acquisition of the North American publishing rights to Odin Sphere, an
Action RPG designed exclusively for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and slated to be in retail
stores in late spring of 2007.
Odin Sphere is developed by Vanillaware, makers of the amazing Princess Crown for the Sega Saturn, and
features beautiful hand-drawn artwork put into motion to tell an epic tale of power, loss, and love.
The game is
rated “T” by the ESRB for Mild Language, Fantasy Violence, Suggestive Themes, and Use of Alcohol.
About Odin Sphere:
The nations of Erion had always held an uneasy peace, as the various kings and queens watched each other for
any signs of weakness. When the country of Valentine is obliterated by the power of an ancient artifact, it sparks
a bloody war between the fairies of Ringford and the warriors of Ragnanival. Little do they know that they are
acting out an almost-forgotten prophecy: one that, if fulfilled, will lead to the destruction of the entire world. Take
control of the warrior princess Gwendolyn, daughter of Odin, and follow the threads of an intricately woven story
as you uncover the truth behind the prophecy – and how to bring it to an end.
Odin Sphere Key Features:
•
Gorgeous hand-drawn artwork and animations!
•
Intense side-scrolling action with astonishing attacks and magic effects!
•
Fully-voiced dialogue that heightens the drama!
•
Fantastic bosses that tower over the protagonists!
•
Five playable characters in all; each one’s fate is intertwined with the others’!
•
A robust cooking and alchemy system that can be used to create powerful attack and recovery items!

Matix

Lost Fragment said:
IRVINE, CALIFORNIA — FEBRUARY 9, 2007 — Atlus U.S.A., Inc., a leading publisher of interactive
entertainment, today announced the acquisition of the North American publishing rights to Odin Sphere, an
Action RPG designed exclusively for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and slated to be in retail
Odin Sphere is developed by Vanillaware, makers of the amazing Princess Crown for the Sega Saturn, and
features beautiful hand-drawn artwork put into motion to tell an epic tale of power, loss, and love.
The game is
rated “T” by the ESRB for Mild Language, Fantasy Violence, Suggestive Themes, and Use of Alcohol.
About Odin Sphere:
The nations of Erion had always held an uneasy peace, as the various kings and queens watched each other for
any signs of weakness. When the country of Valentine is obliterated by the power of an ancient artifact, it sparks
a bloody war between the fairies of Ringford and the warriors of Ragnanival. Little do they know that they are
acting out an almost-forgotten prophecy: one that, if fulfilled, will lead to the destruction of the entire world. Take
control of the warrior princess Gwendolyn, daughter of Odin, and follow the threads of an intricately woven story
•
•
•
•
•
Five playable characters in all; each one’s fate is intertwined with the others’!
•
A robust cooking and alchemy system that can be used to create powerful attack and recovery items!

There is a God, and its name is Atlus (never forget) !!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
"stores in late spring of 2007"

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!

TreIII

Not bad, not bad at all...:D

Though unless it's some how coming to America first, simultaneously launches with the May release for Japan, or close enough to it, there's not lot of room for a "late spring 2007" release. Wonder how they're going to work that...

Oh, and dual language soundtrack would always be nice...

schild

Next time I'll be sure to quote all the PR nonsense.

Anyway, everyone obviously knew this had been in the cooker as long as Persona 3. It is nice that Atlus will be releasing non-portable titles between now and not getting Fes though.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Error2k4 said:
"stores in late spring of 2007"

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
Seriously. Before Persona? Wow. I honestly didn't see it coming this year at all. FUCKING AWESOME indeed.

Lost Fragment said:
The game is
About Odin Sphere:
•
•
•
•
•
•

catshb02.gif

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I just can't stop lovin' yeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww
I just can't stop lovin' yewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
And if I stop, just tell me just what will I deeewwwww

I just can't stop lovin' youuuuuu.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
princess crown used multi-jointed sprites, sort of like the bosses in old treasure games, which meant the animations didn't have to be individually drawn. this seems to be the same way. that's probably why they can produce such gorgeous original art on what i assume is a fairly modest budget.

nincompoop said:
I hope the fücktards at SCEA don't block this from coming out because its 2D
Considering Atlus announced its North American release today, that would be surprising.

EDIT: whoops missed the second page

AAK

That really did look beautiful.

I would just hate to see this share the same fate as Okami

Avalon

AAK said:
That really did look beautiful.

I would just hate to see this share the same fate as Okami

I don't think Atlus is depending on the same kind of success Capcom was...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
old? 1up has a preview of the game

In our first exposure to the game, five main characters have been revealed. Gwendlyn is the daughter of the Magic King Ordyne and the princess of the northern continent, Ragnaneival. She is a valkyrie raised in the shadow of her elder sister, Griselda. Next is Cornelius, prince of Titania, who awakens one day in an unfamiliar place, and finds he has been transformed into a small beast. Third up is Mercedes, princess of Ringfold, the kingdom of Fairies. Wielding a crossbow, her deceptive young looks hide a strong character. Then there is Oswald, a boy raised at Ringfold by the Fairies after being left in the wilderness. He is now a dark knight who roams the kingdom slaying dragons. Finally, there is Velvet, the princess of Valentine, who is hiding away in a forest. With a calm composure, she likes to take care of people. Cornelius is in love with Velvet, but because of his transformation, he is scared to tell her his feelings.

Chapters of the story are divided into acts, some of which are "rounds" played out in battles. These rounds are played across a number of stages, and can be cleared by using items and skills in combination with each character's unique weapon. The weapons, referred to as Psyphers, are capable of absorbing the raw energy known as Phozon and channeling this energy into special skills known as Psypher skills which give you special attacks, recovery, and other abilities.

The aim of the development team was, according to Kamitani, to create something quite different from Princess Crown. It was decided that items should play a larger part in the game, where items are the difference between winning and losing, just as cards are in a card game. Battles are now one versus many, though the game refrains from relying on reactions and control skills too much. The strength of items is such that, even when it seems like a battle is impossible, items can be used in imaginative combinations to gain success. This system may not be to everyone's taste, however, so it's still possible to win by leveling the characters as much as necessary.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3157062

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is it just me, or does this look a lot like the old Monty Python animated sketches in that video? I think it might be the way the monsters move.

If you people will excuse me, I need to find a mop before I drown my household in drool.

(Still need to find Ar Tonelico... busy busy!)

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I'm waiting for the other foot to drop... There's gotta be a down side, like that it required the souls of 600 orphans to create this game or something. This is just too good to be true. Such a quick release after the JPN version, and we're pretty much guaranteed a great localization. So very excited!

Doctor_No

duckroll said:
Here I come to save the day!

Save the day indeed. This game has shot to the top of my most anticipated RPG list, and I have some pretty big expectations of Soul Cradle and FF12:RW. And after looking at the video, and looking at how the trees and the grass move and the amazing animation, this game is the pinnacle of hand-drawn gaming.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm impressed by the amount of animation going on in the background, and it's not nearly as clunky animation wise as I expected based on the video.

Count me in, depending on which comes out last (persona 3 or this), could be my last PS2 purchase.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Wow. This completely made my day. Sometimes it's not so bad working Saturdays when news like this awaits you.

Atlus really seem to have carved out a veritable mountain of respect and love from the hardcore set with moves like this. They actually remind me of how universally revered Square was back in the SNES days.

Man...this game looks downright amazing.

I really hope it comes to the states.

edit- N/M it got confirmed that it is infact coming to the states. W000000000000tttttttttttttttt

ethelred

Labombadog said:
Man...this game looks downright amazing.

I really hope it comes to the states.

I'm sorry, didn't you hear? It won't be. There definitely isn't any chance of that happening. :(

Top Bottom