• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula One: Championship Edition - PSM3 Review

"I've personally driven an F1 inspired sports car (brother's BMW M6)"

:lol

"I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about when it comes down to racers"

methane47

TTP said:
Wait. How did u find that URL? Going from their Review section you end up to the PSW 7.0 review, not the PSM3 one.

Yeah that's what is messing me up as well... I think you have to activate the psm3 portion of the site or something... I dont know.

Mmmkay

TTP said:
Wait. How did u find that URL? Strating from their Review section you end up to the PSW 7.0 review, not this one.
They only very very recently integrated a bunch of the Future Publishing magazines into the C&VG website. When I made the thread with this review, PSM3's home page was at something like www.computerandvideogames.com/psm3 . Since then, like a day or two later, it has moved to www.computerandvideogames.com/sites/psm . You can find a link to the review in the bottom right hand corner of the page, or at www.computerandvideogames.com/reviews.php?site=psm . I guess they're still working on putting the PSM3 reviews in their database.

Z3F

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
Are you playing this on SD? I really have no idea how you can say this looks like an N64 game.

It's one of those games that can only be played in 720p. It looked really blurry to me until I remember that I had turned off the720P option so that I can play NBA2K7 in 1080P. Maybe he had done a similar thing and didn't notice the game was only running in 480p.

It is an exaggeration to say that F1CE looks like a n64 game but I didn't think the game looked that great either, except for the rain effects. I'm surprised that the game is only running at 30FPS at 720p, since it looks like a game that can easily be ran at 60fps/720p on a RSX equivalent videocard. The developer also mentioned that they are using some SPUs to help in rendering the game so it's hard to see why a relatively simple looking game like F1:CE is not running at 60FPS.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Teknopathetic said:
"I've personally driven an F1 inspired sports car (brother's BMW M6)"

"I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about when it comes down to racers"

Before you laugh, and throw your typical elitist dickheadery at me, do some research. Engine and transmission of an M6 are a modified engine and transmission that BMW uses for their Formula One cars. And if you dispute the fact that I know my war around a car, how to work on one, properties of a car, etc. you're only kidding yourself.

"Before you laugh, and throw your typical elitist dickheadery at me, do some research. Engine and transmission of an M6 are a modified engine and transmission that BMW uses for their Formula One cars. And if you dispute the fact that I know my war around a car, how to work on one, properties of a car, etc. you're only kidding yourself"

It's still *nothing* like driving an F1 car. You even quoted and agreed with a guy who said as much. Mentioning it is a pitiful attempt to make make your shitbin opinion more valid than others (It's not).

D.Cowboys

Neo Member
Stinkles said:
1. Get someone that gives a shit about the sport to do the review or

Agreed.

2. Get an amateur racing driver to play it.

Not agreed. That would be like demanding a semi pro soccer player review Winning 11. Gamers should review games. Folks who're representative of who's buying it. I find that the closer someone is to a subject or genre, the less objectivity they have. See RPG players who like ALL RPGs.

Have a real driver play to see if the setups in the cars are accurate. Said driver would come in, set the car up and see if he can get competitive lap times with his set up.
All while driving judging the physics handling etc...

I remember reading an article about Forza 2 on Team Xbox about this. They had a real driver come in, set the cars up and ran competitive lap times from the get go, helping to provide a better all around accurate racing experience The driver said he was very immpressed with how things were working out in Forza 2.

F355 for Dreamcast was developed with the help of a few formula one drivers, one of them being very high profile but can't remember the name. Could be wrong but I think it was either Jean Alesi or Alain prost.

IMO, this idea worked wonders for F355. The game was awesome.

I like the idea.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
D.Cowboys said:
Have a real driver play to see if the setups in the cars are accurate. Said driver would come in, set the car up and see if he can get competitive lap times with his set up.

I remember reading an article about Forza 2 on Team Xbox about this. They had a real driver come in, set the cars up and ran competitive lap times from the get go, helping to provide a better all around accurate racing experience The driver said he was very immpressed with how things were working out in Forza 2.

F355 for Dreamcast was developed with the help of a few formula one drivers, one of them being very high profile but can't remember the name. Could be wrong but I think it was either Jean Alesi or Alain prost.

I like the idea.

For development? Hells yeah. Of course.

D.Cowboys said:

I like the idea.

If I recally correctly, Jenson Button did work on this game. So they did get input from F1 drivers. Alonso is also a huge gaming nerd.

Z3F

Banned
D.Cowboys said:

Road&Track did this for a Forza/GT4 comparison and the real drivers concluded that Forza was more realistic and a better game. I don't know how useful a pro driver's opinions would be for gamers though. Although I can see how Forza could be considered a more realistic sim, GT's more forgiving handling make it a more accessible game to me.

AlphaSnake

Teknopathetic said:
"Before you laugh, and throw your typical elitist dickheadery at me, do some research. Engine and transmission of an M6 are a modified engine and transmission that BMW uses for their Formula One cars. And if you dispute the fact that I know my war around a car, how to work on one, properties of a car, etc. you're only kidding yourself"

It's still *nothing* like driving an F1 car. You even quoted and agreed with a guy who said as much. Mentioning it is a pitiful attempt to make make your shitbin opinion more valid than others (It's not).

No shit, sherlock. I never said it was anything like driving an F1 vehicle, I said it's an F1 inspired sports-car. The point, which I thought was fairly clear, was that I drove it on a test-track in South Carolina, and even in a civilian car like a BMW M6 it was damn near impossible to spin out - information that is a useful contrast to attemping the same on an F1 car. So stop putting words into my mouth, and just put a foot in yours. You're slinging crap at me for the sake of being the typical asshat that you often are.

Big-E

On the topic of drivers setting up tuning and trying out times with a real car, there was an episode of Top Gear where Clarkson took his time at Laguna Seca playing Gran Turismo 3 with IIRC an NSX to the real life track and was able to get within a a second or two of his game time.

AlphaSnake

Big-E said:
On the topic of drivers setting up tuning and trying out times with a real car, their was an episode of Top Gear where Clarkson took his time at Laguna Seca playing Gran Turismo 3 with IIRC an NSX to the real life track and was able to get within a a second or two of his game time.

No he didn't. He destroyed his real-life time by 13 seconds in GT. But there were a number of professional drivers who did achieve proper results in real-life and on GT, though.

Big-E

AlphaSnake said:
No he didn't. He destroyed his real-life time by 13 seconds in GT. But there were a number of professional drivers who did achieve proper results in real-life and on GT, though.

Hmm its been a while since I watched it but I thought he got really close.

p3tran

Banned
TTP said:
BTW, I'm reposting here the videos I youtubed in the first page cos I feel like doing it.

Want some drifting and spin outs? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgnIgtF4tNA ("You just press and go" my ass)

These are for Che (with love)

hold on a second TTP!
that interview you are quoting does not say what you say or demonstrate in your videos.

it says:

Sub-traction
Not only is this deeply unexciting, it's not even realistic. In real life F1 cars still slide, and their drivers can still use their throttles to steer, but you can't do any of that here. You just press and go. What's more, very smooth drivers like Jenson Button avoid triggering the traction control and go faster for it - it would have been great to try the same thing. But you can't even hear it working. It's fake. You just press and go.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158292&site=psm

so, can you make a short clip of yourself taking a close turn by oversteering and keeping the car in control while taking a sliding turn?

Zenith

Banned
TTP said:
wow, that's so similar to the EDGE review. Not jus the score, but the points made in the article. Even their order of exposition is the same. hmm

It's CVG. hell, just recently they ripped off IGN's interview with Grin for GRAW2.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158305
Also watch how they literally proclaim PC gaming as "doomed" because Epic is considering porting mods across to console versions of their PC counterparts.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158324

Z3F

Banned
Big-E said:
On the topic of drivers setting up tuning and trying out times with a real car, there was an episode of Top Gear where Clarkson took his time at Laguna Seca playing Gran Turismo 3 with IIRC an NSX to the real life track and was able to get within a a second or two of his game time.

Not surprised at that. The Japanese cars are done really well in GT. I think the European cars get short shifted though. For example, I can't even make a 50mph 90 degrees turn in GT with a RUF that I can easily do in the real world with a stock Porsche.

AlphaSnake said:
You're slinging crap at me for the sake of being the typical asshat that you often are.

No need to get upset, bro. Like you said, some people just like to be assholes. Thanks for sharing your experience. The M6 would be a great car for the price, if not for the stupid $30,000 premium that dealers like to charge.

AlphaSnake

"No shit, sherlock. I never said it was anything like driving an F1 vehicle, I said it's an F1 inspired sports-car. The point, which I thought was fairly clear, was that I drove it on a test-track in South Carolina, and even in a civilian car like a BMW M6 it was damn near impossible to spin out - information that is a useful contrast to attemping the same on an F1 car."

Are you seriously using your experience handling a sedan to make any sort of comparisons/contrasts to an F1 car? How is that useful at all? Have you attempted the same on an F1 car? You can't be this simple.

As far as your point being clear, the only thing you even mentioned was how you have driven an "F1 inspired vehicle" and have experience working on cars. What point are you making? Whoops! There's nothing about any contrasts there.

So for the sake of clarity, what point could you possibly make by bringing up driving your brother's BMW and how would that be relevant to this whatsoever?

Try again.

AlphaSnake

Z3F said:
Not surprised at that. The Japanese cars are done really well in GT. I think the European cars get short shifted though. For example, I can't even make a 50mph 90 degrees turn in GT with a RUF that I can easily do in the real world with a stock Porsche.

No need to get upset, bro. Like you said, some people just like to be assholes. Thanks for sharing your experience. The M6 would be a great car for the price, if not for the stupid $30,000 premium that dealers like to charge.

In the US there's actually a way around that. =)

p3tran

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
You can do it with a wheel much more easily.

the reviewer calls the entire mechanism "FAKE", so if he is correct this will not be very possible no matter what equipment you use for steering..

AlphaSnake

Teknopathetic said:
"No shit, sherlock. I never said it was anything like driving an F1 vehicle, I said it's an F1 inspired sports-car. The point, which I thought was fairly clear, was that I drove it on a test-track in South Carolina, and even in a civilian car like a BMW M6 it was damn near impossible to spin out - information that is a useful contrast to attemping the same on an F1 car."

Are you seriously using your experience handling a sedan to make any sort of comparisons/contrasts to an F1 car? How is that useful at all? Have you attempted the same on an F1 car? You can't be this simple.

As far as your point being clear, the only thing you even mentioned was how you have driven an "F1 inspired vehicle" and have experience working on cars. What point are you making? Whoops! There's nothing about any contrasts there.

So for the sake of clarity, what point could you possibly make by bringing up driving your brother's BMW and how would that be relevant to this whatsoever?

Try again.

I'm pretty sure I know you're just screwing around with me...but in case you're not I'll break it down for you one by one:

1) How is that useful? Didn't I just say I couldn't break the rear of a civilian sports-car like M6? Which means if it's that difficult to break an F1 inspired car, it's only that much harder to do it on an actual F1 car. It has nothing to do with me not having driven an F1 car. The fact that we all know that an F1 car will trump anything on the road is evident enough that if it's difficult to lose traction in an M6, then it'd be much more difficult to lose traction in a car that's built to not lose traction. Understand?

2) What point am I trying to make? A point that journalists shouldn't trash a game because they don't know what the hell they're doing in it. That someone should have decent qualifications before they write a review about a complex sport. The same way a lab-rat can't correct a doctor during a procedure, is the same way Edge or PSM3 shouldn't be having some lacky write about F1 and then get proved wrong on a plethora of points.

Likewise I was also adding to J-Rzez's post by agreeing with him on all accounts and telling him that the closest I've ever gotten to driving an F1 car on a track, was an M6 on a track. Is that clear now? Like he was sharing an experience, I too felt like sharing my track experience - thus the M6 talk and suspension/autocross talk.

Now let us never argue again, Tre. It just hurts me too damn much when we're so abusive towards one another.

Edit: :'(

"I'm pretty sure I know you're just screwing around with me...but in case you're not I'll break it down for you one by one:

1) How is that useful? Didn't I just say I couldn't break the rear of a civilian sports-car like M6? Which means if it's that difficult to break an F1 inspired car, it's only that much harder to do it on an actual F1 car. It has nothing to do with me not having driven an F1 car. The fact that we all know that an F1 car will trump anything on the road is evident enough that if it's difficult to lose traction in an M6, then it'd be much more difficult to lose traction in a car that's built to not lose traction. Understand?

2) What point am I trying to make? A point that journalists shouldn't trash a game because they don't know what the hell they're doing in it. That someone should have decent qualifications before they write a review about a complex sport. The same way a lab-rat can't correct a doctor during a procedure, is the same way Edge or PSM3 shouldn't be having some lacky write about F1 and then get proved wrong on a plethora of points.

Likewise I was also adding to J-Rzez's post by agreeing with him on all accounts and telling him that the closest I've ever gotten to driving an F1 car on a track, was an M6 on a track. Is that clear now? Like he was sharing an experience, I too felt like sharing my track experience - thus the M6 talk and suspension/autocross talk.

Clear? I sure hope so."

Crystal. In summation, you've no more (and hey, I'll be nice, no less, too) credibility when it comes to F1 than any of the other video game mag/site writer you're condemning.

"Now let us never argue again, Tre. It just hurts me too damn much when we're so abusive towards one another.

Edit: :'("

Sure thing.

AlphaSnake

Teknopathetic said:
Crystal. In summation, you've no more (and hey, I'll be nice, no less, too) credibility when it comes to F1 than any other video game mag/site writer you're condemning.

Well, because I know what it is to tune a car properly to induce the oversteer that those mags couldn't find...I'd say I have just an ounce more. Just an ounce. =)

"Well, because I know what it is to tune a car properly to induce the oversteer that those mags couldn't find...I'd say I have just an ounce more. Just an ounce. =)"

Ounce granted. :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
p3tran said:
hold on a second TTP!
that interview you are quoting does not say what you say or demonstrate in your videos.

it says:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158292&site=psm

so, can you make a short clip of yourself taking a close turn by oversteering and keeping the car in control while taking a sliding turn?

What I was demostrating is that if u "press and go", a properly set car can slide and eventually spin. You can obviously avoid the spinning and just slide if you apply a lower pressure to the accelerator button (which I didnt on purpose in order to make the car spin).

But since you asked...

*turns on the PS3 and the camera* ;)

AlphaSnake

TTP said:
What I was demostrating is that if u "press and go", a properly set car can slide and eventually spin. You can obviously avoid the spinning and just slide if you apply a lower pressure to the accelerator button (which I didnt on purpose in order to make the car spin).

But since you asked...

*turns on the PS3 and the camera* ;)

You know I was thinking about how cool it'd have been to have the PSP as a mirror. I'll take a picture and show you how I would've had it positioned...

D.Cowboys said:

It was Rubens Barrichello when he drove for Ferrari. He would use the arcade version in the off season to train.

HokieJoe

First, a few qualifiers:

1) The game looks gorgeous.

2) If I wanted to buy the game I would, because I'm a gear head.

3) I watch (AND ENJOY) everything from MotoGP, LeMans, American Lemans Series, SCCA, Rolex Grand-Am, NASCAR, and WRC.

That said, can someone explain to me what makes F1 so entertaining for people? Notwithstanding 2006, which seemed atypical, for me, F1 is generally boring. The competition is lackluster, and the series focuses way too much on technology- not enough on the driver.

What am I missing?
This past year is the only exception that I can think of

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
In the meantime... default settings

DSC02801.jpg

DSC02802.jpg

DSC02803.jpg

DSC02804.jpg

DSC02805.jpg

DSC02806.jpg

DSC02807.jpg

AlphaSnake, u absolutely sure PSP support is not there right? Here is a pic of where the option shows up in the review build:

DSC02808.jpg

J-Rzez

methane47 said:
I guess this is what these guys want
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qhWzOO854Ww

Well, I dunno what they want, but you rarely see huge drifts in F1, and when you see it, it's because they obviously romped it early... F1 doesnt have the types of turns and at their speeds, drifting would be slower, and chaotic... They don't necessarily need to inspire a loss of traction to help turn, they'd rather power out of them with traction rather than lose it, rotate, then fight the horses to put it to the ground... Loose is one thing, drifting is another...

Did they say "drifting" in the reveiw specifically? F1 drivers use "throttle modulation" to help tighten or loosen their lines... Proper throttle pushing will tighten a line due to physics at speed, where as throttle lifting will lighten and loosen the turning... That's the only thing I believe they must mean? If they want drifting, they're gonna have to wait for some WRC play something fairly representitive of Touge... Or, lame NFSU/Carbon type stuff...

My experience is limited, I got to put about 5-10mins in a F3 built spec car modified though to run paved hillclimbs in my area... I didn't even get to open it up, and I could tell there's a world of difference to these open wheel machines... And, Stinkles is correct, kart racing has the spirit of F1 for sure... I drove around in a 125cc Yamaha powered kart before and even that was crazy! It's all power up, power down through turns with proper lines and no showboatery to make some decent times...

If anyone has a couple grand laying around, not much, but a couple, build/buy yourself a nice 125cc kart... tons of fun, low up-keep, fast... especially those shifter karts that hit 120mph (though I clipped only 80 in one and got nervous to push it more, if I had more time)... it's a rush to say the least...

But yeah... Reviewer that rides a bicycle without a seat to work daily doesn't own, nor drive a car + Racing games like F1, GT, Forza = monkey ****ing a football reviews...

Ranger X

D.Cowboys said:
That's because we americans can be zombies, to say the least. You know, we purchased VHS over betamax, PCs and Macs, the Macs weren't even in color over the quite superior Amiga. The list of atrocities goes on.

I don't have a problem with people liking Nascar but I can't stand the fact that the USA for the most part, barely knows F1 exists at this point in time.

BTW when's the release date for F1 CE?

I couldn't resist making a Nascar joke but i like some Nascar from time to time. I just cannot make Nascar the king of Motorsports that's all ;) (and so is the rest of the world i guess)
About the release date, i don't have a clue.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
FYI, the 1up yours podcast said penalties cannot be turned off, but in the demo you can. Can anyone confirm that you CAN turn off the penalties?

AlphaSnake

TTP: Yeah...definitely not here. And not present in any settings options, either. Even the manual doesn't talk about it.

But here are the pics as promised, would've been really cool:

pict0242editco0.jpg

pict0240editjs9.jpg

Edit: Yes, my TV scaler is stupid. 720p is all cut-off like that. Wish there was a solution, but whatever - the TV is inexpensive and has a good picture.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Teknopathetic said:
In summation, you've no more (and hey, I'll be nice, no less, too) credibility when it comes to F1 than any of the other video game mag/site writer you're condemning.

It certainly does make his opinion a bit more "valid" than the next. Reading some people's thoughts on these types of games, one would think that these guys aren't aware that there are PRODUCTION cars out there that will happily take you around a curve at speeds well into the triple-digits without any drama whatsoever. I'd trust the guy who has experienced the composure of a $100k sportscar at speed over the person who rarely cracks 90mph in his friggin' Corolla.

"It certainly does make his opinion a bit more "valid" than the next. Reading some people's thoughts on these types of games, one would think that these guys aren't aware that there are PRODUCTION cars out there that will happily take you around a curve at speeds well into the triple-digits without any drama whatsoever. I'd trust the guy who has experienced the composure of a $100k sportscar at speed over the person who rarely cracks 90mph in his friggin' Corolla"

If this was about racing street cars, you'd be on to something.

AlphaSnake

Well here's the final nail in the coffin to anyone who thinks that the game has shoddy physics: I just spotted a few secret cars, one of which is an early 60s Cooper Climax roadster. Take that out on the road and enjy all the oversteer, drifting, and powersliding you can shake a stick at.

I didn't see these cars here before, I wonder if I unlocked them somehow.

Edit: Oh crap! The Lotus 72E is insanely fun. The other car here is a Renault RS01. Damn, you can throw these cars around. It's pretty fun =D

"Well here's the final nail in the coffin to anyone who thinks that the game has shoddy physics: I just spotted a few secret cars, one of which is an early 60s Cooper Climax roadster. Take that out on the road and enjy all the oversteer, drifting, and powersliding you can shake a stick at.

I didn't see these cars here before, I wonder if I unlocked them somehow."

My only problem with the reviewers (and forum review critics) is that I've only seen you guys compare this with the other (sub par) console racing sims.

AlphaSnake

Teknopathetic said:
"Well here's the final nail in the coffin to anyone who thinks that the game has shoddy physics: I just spotted a few secret cars, one of which is an early 60s Cooper Climax roadster. Take that out on the road and enjy all the oversteer, drifting, and powersliding you can shake a stick at.

My only problem with the reviewers (and forum review critics) is that I've only seen you guys compare this with the other (sub par) console racing sims.

I haven't compared F1 to anything...

Dante

Teknopathetic said:

Pssst:

[/QUOTE]

mashoutposse

Ante Up
If this was about racing street cars, you'd be on to something.

It's not about that. It's about having an idea of what kind of performance is realistically possible from a 4-wheeled vehicle. Someone who has driven an M6 hard knows that a given curve can be taken at X speed without so much as a squeak from the tires, while someone without that experience might think that taking that curve at even X-minus-50mph would surely result in a crash. I get the latter impression from these reviewers, not to mention 50% of the PC racing sim crowd.

AlphaSnake

:lol These new cars are so much fun. You can do not-stop donuts on the tarmac with the aged Renault.

"It's not about that. It's about having an idea of what kind of performance is realistically possible from a 4-wheeled vehicle. Someone who has driven an M6 hard knows that a given curve can be taken at X speed without so much as a squeak from the tires, while someone without that experience might think that taking that curve at even X-minus-50mph would surely result in a crash."

All 4 wheeled vehicles are not created equal.

"I get the latter impression from these reviewers, not to mention 50% of the PC racing sim crowd."

That's comical.

"Pssst:

[/quote]"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142214

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Teknopathetic said:
All 4 wheeled vehicles are not created equal.

Exactly. So why is it so hard to believe that a million-dollar race car with barrels for tires and an aero package that generates ridiculous amounts of downforce can hold the line at far higher speeds than a standard production car without drifting all over the place?

I bet it's that much harder to believe when you've never been behind the wheel of something with truly potent performance (street car or not).

"I get the latter impression from these reviewers, not to mention 50% of the PC racing sim crowd."

That's comical.

According to the PC racing guys, a user friendly driving experience (read: not having to fight with the steering wheel and throttle just to make it to the other end of a curve) automatically = arcadey. It's impossible that the cars might actually be like that in real life...

"Exactly. So why is it so hard to believe that a million-dollar race car with barrels for tires and an aero package that generates ridiculous amounts of downforce can hold the line at far higher speeds than a standard production car without drifting all over the place?"

It's not, and if you can quote me saying that I think it does or even simply implying it, I'll give you a cookie. (Hint: You can't have my cookies.) The only thing I've done in this thread was call people out on their derision of reviews without a shred more credibility. Period. Comparing your average road car to an F1 car is just faulty logic and that's what I'm against. Besides saying they're no less qualified to review a game than Forum member X is all I've done in defense of these reviews.

"According to the PC racing guys, a user friendly driving experience (read: not having to fight with the steering wheel and throttle just to make it to the other end of a curve) automatically = arcadey. It's impossible that the cars might actually be that way for real..."

Who are these "PC racing guys?" Or are you just attributing some random inaccuracy to "PC Racing guys" to cut the knees from under the (fact) idea that PC racing sims are head and shoulders above their console kin?

Top Bottom