• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo movie reviews dropping - Eurogamer

RagnarokIV

UPDATE:
Film Stories is a non-clickbait site, their review is up: https://filmstories.co.uk/reviews/gran-turismo-review-neill-blomkamps-raciest-film-yet/

https://www.eurogamer.net/gran-turismo-film-review-a-marketing-exercise-filled-with-contrived-drama

At the start of Gran Turismo, our hero, a young man named Jann Mardenborough (Archie Madekwe), receives a package. Clearly, whatever is in the box is of Holy importance, as he actually kneels down to open it. Has he ordered a saintly relic, something to aid his evening prayers? A splinter of the True Cross, perhaps? He opens the lid, and we see the object of his worship: a steering wheel. Not an actual steering wheel, mind, but the plastic variety that you plug into a console to guide a racing game. For Jann, of course, drawing that distinction - between the virtual and the real - would be blasphemy.

As it surely would for Kazunori Yamauchi, designer of the Gran Turismo games on which this strange movie spins. At a party one night, Jann sits gloomily in the corner on his phone, watching videos of Gran Turismo 7. A young woman, Audrey (Maeve Courtier-Lilley), comes over and takes an interest, asking him about the game, to which he replies, "Technically it's not a game, it's a racing simulator."

The Guardian - 1/5
https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...racer-in-super-bland-ode-to-product-placement
Product placement has rarely been as chronic or concussive as it is in Gran Turismo, inspired by the real-life experiences of British teenager Jann Mardenborough (played here by the sweetly gauche Archie Madekwe), whose PlayStation proficiency won him the chance to compete as a real-life racing driver in GT Academy, a Nissan-sponsored promotion intended to get the public loving cars again. Before you can say “Ulez”, he is taking private jets and eating sushi (“This is amazing!”) while glamorous destinations flash by on screen: Tokyo! Dubai! Cardiff!
Rather than embrace the video-game that inspired it, the film is a simulation of cinema featuring a reliably underwhelming cameo from Geri Halliwell Horner

Top Gear
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/mo...-review-we-watched-it-so-you-really-dont-have
But in your face, Dad, because Jann wins a magical golden ticket to a computer games boot camp organised by a mad twitching Legolas and an extended montage where that gruff bloke from Stranger Things shouts abuse at teary eyed gamers from a helicopter. Ginger Spice is in the film too, playing Jann’s mum, which mostly involves reacting to news footage of her son’s races from her couch in Cardiff, like a sort of cinematic Gogglebox. Her powerhouse line in the first half of the movie is “Well, these lentils are nice”, which an actor of any calibre would be pushed to sell.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
At a party one night, Jann sits gloomily in the corner on his phone, watching videos of Gran Turismo 7. A young woman, Audrey (Maeve Courtier-Lilley), comes over and takes an interest, asking him about the game, to which he replies, "Technically it's not a game, it's a racing simulator."
Yeah that's how it usually goes for me at parties.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
so its a turd .........a vin diesel cameo would have saved this movie

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
A young woman, Audrey (Maeve Courtier-Lilley), comes over and takes an interest, asking him about the game....

They should have went for realism.....

I'm sure it will be good fun that takes itself a little too seriously. I dunno why they review these movies expecting anything else tbh.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The only memory I will ever have of this movie is that Sony felt it was smart to cram in a trailer into an already poor State of Play presentation.

Edited: You caught it.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I feel it could have just been a racing movie with the gran turismo title without the whole bullshit gamer angle and it could've been really good. Something like ford vs ferrari.

Instead we get this.

Last edited:
So it's more like Driven and Speed Racer than Rush or Ford vs Ferrari. Not really surprised, the trailer did nothing for me, but I also don't like the very succesful Fast & Furios movies so whatever.

supernova8

Banned
I read and watched very positive reviews.

A 1/5 is ridiculous.

This reviewer is an ugly loser (edit) and hater. 20% really?
I mean we could call it 2/5 if that makes you feel better.

I just watch the trailers again and... come on.... it looks like a well-funded fan movie, but still a fan movie. I'll caveat that by saying the director, production team, and cast seem to have done well given what they had to work with - namely a shit plot.

JaksGhost

Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

$120 million budget (before marketing) and landed around $400 million WW. Decent chunk of change but pretty big risk to try again with Uncharted 2. We'll see if it ever happens.
Considering this forum thought it would do absolutely dog shit, that's a success no matter how you want to spin it into a negative again.

Aenima

Not every videogame adaptation made by Sony will be a hit. Uncharted did pretty well and TLOU show broke reccords for HBO. Videogame adaptations to movies usually end up being pretty bad. Sony and Nintendo has made already some pretty good stuff for the cinema in recent years.

As a corporation that have a movie and TV, music and videogame division, it makes perfect sense to keep adapting some more videogame IPs to the big screen.

I still think the story choice was the best they could make for a movie about Gran Turismo. Movies about racing are just not that appealing to mainstream audience. Fast and Furious is an example of being more and more an action movie about crazy action setpieces performed by big action actors, and much less about racing culture like the 1st movie.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
There's a gran turismo movie?

Top Bottom