• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 PSVR2 Hands-On Impressions

ABnormal

Why would it only work with ps6?
Because it would be developed as a generation step, with specs and features not supported by PS5. It's really hard to think of a PS6-aimed VR set that can be used with PS5. It will probably have several new systems, aside the obvious res, FOV and maybe tracking system.

But it's possible that PSVR2 will work on PS6.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
3c42606a-59f7-4ec4-ba63-74dcf11d154d_text.gif
For anyone interested, here is the conversation b/w Shuhei Yoshida and the Ace Combat director ~4 months ago.

e9slCqR.jpg
le21IG6.jpg
fjrGeaV.jpg

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I felt so disapointed by that game. Maybe I should play more. The dogfighting gameplay falls into the pit of feeling like flying endless loops chasing each other's tails. I always told myself I should try playing more of it though. I was just dipping in for a few hours to check it out.
I was kind of the same way but the combination of the visuals, star wars and vr I think would enhance it a lot.
With a motion platform would be even more amazing.....

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
In just over 2 weeks folks are going to experience some of the best VR experiences on a next gen VR headset.
I’m very much looking forward to hearing folks impressions.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Foveated rendering requires eye tracking to be AT LEAST within 4 milliseconds from tracking to input the coordinate to the processing unit, because it has to be ALWAYS before the actual render begins. And since it has to work even with games which are native on 120 fps, eye tracking has to track at least 240 times per second. That's the bare minimun in this situation. The coordinate can arrive after the render defined the poligons, but resolution and rendering quality must be defined only after eye position has been updated. The window is very narrow, but eye trackers can sample even at higher frequency (480 samples per second).
I'm aware of the trackers being high-frequency, but IMO - that's not really the big problem (ultimately hw either works, or it doesn't ;P ). But the software stacks/engines are just not low latency for most part - in fact for 3rd party middleware the complete opposite is usually true.
That being said - the 'before render begins' - I'm not sure we're using the same terminology here, but there are a bunch of implementation details that dictate what's even possible. Eg. if you're deferred (and have some form of pixel/fragment processing control - VRS or similar) it's totally possible to insert eye-tracking inputs very late in the GPU frame - at least on a console. This is the most optimal way to handle all VR inputs - but the number of games that have done so for hand/head tracking are probably less than what we can count on two hands in entire history of modern VR. No idea if eye-tracking will spearhead a revolution on it - finally (and presumably Sony SDK offers some support to make it easier now).

On the flip-side afaik on some software stacks messing with GPU parameters during execution would be prohibitively complex/difficult, so you need to insert the inputs in the Command-buffer generation frame or even earlier - which automatically puts things at least one frame behind the case above. The obvious trade-off is that if eye-tracking sensor sampling is much less predictable than other inputs, longer latencies = larger safe areas = less efficient/optimized rendering. But it'd still work.

Last edited:
Pretty impressive. I would like to eventually have a full racing setup but I only have a wheel right now, maybe a PSVR2 can help get that full racing setup feeling I so desire.

Danknugz

Foveated rendering requires eye tracking to be AT LEAST within 4 milliseconds from tracking to input the coordinate to the processing unit, because it has to be ALWAYS before the actual render begins. And since it has to work even with games which are native on 120 fps, eye tracking has to track at least 240 times per second. That's the bare minimun in this situation. The coordinate can arrive after the render defined the poligons, but resolution and rendering quality must be defined only after eye position has been updated. The window is very narrow, but eye trackers can sample even at higher frequency (480 samples per second).
i'm kind of out of my league talking about this because i'm not a graphics programmer but yes it makes sense that the render would have to come after determining the eye position, however there could be some prediction logic to assist in that. in regards to the PSVR2 in particular, i'm not certain that a PS5 can do native 120fps (with 8ms frame) so maybe they don't have to worry about anything more than the 16ms.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ace Combat devs were hinting about a new VR coming a couple of months back
This would be fire. Especially if they update the game with a PS5 version for 4K/60.

OK I take back all my skepticism. Sounds like it really is the entire, full game, just with the menus in a 2D screen within VR.

Mike Epps Dancing GIF by Bounce
Most of the menus are UI overlays in a 3D space. I can't remember an only 2D screen other than the history stuff and scape photos. Even the setting up of the photo is 3D.

The Showroom is going to be glorious!

Last edited:

Danknugz

Yep he did, sold it 5 years ago, you watch the clip he said that he has the feeling that he was sitting in his Delorean again. The details in car where spot on...
i saw that and it definitely seemed kind of fluffy. Would have been nice to hear him compare it to say, Assetto Corsa on an index but they were probably forbidden from mentioning anything other than psvr2 is this fluff piece.

yurinka

For anyone interested, here is the conversation b/w Shuhei Yoshida and the Ace Combat director ~4 months ago.

e9slCqR.jpg
le21IG6.jpg
fjrGeaV.jpg
Lol, Yoshida was so straight and clear. :messenger_tears_of_joy: He's the best

i saw that and it definitely seemed kind of fluffy. Would have been nice to hear him compare it to say, Assetto Corsa on an index but they were probably forbidden from mentioning anything other than psvr2 is this fluff piece.
I think it wouldn't be fair to compare GT7 against a 2014 game. I just saw that until 2017 it sold 1.4M copies, and considering Index should also have sold around that, I assume only a few people played that game on that heardset. It would be a huge coincident that this guy would have been one of them.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Bastard cancelled mine too. It's on sale at the ps store now for 39. I just bought it

ARGH! They should be delisted for doing stuff like this. Maybe it is better for me to buy it digitally on the PS Store, since I'll only play it in VR though.

Tygeezy

I really hope sony decides to make a grand turismo version equivalent to forza horizon. That would be absolutely incredible in VR. I'm not much of a sim racing guy, but I love VR and preordered psvr 2 immediately. I picked up gt7 on sale yesterday because I know VR will make this incredible.

mckmas8808

oh boy...

P1-X Sim Racing Cockpit - $1,000
Podium Racing Wheel F1 + ClubSport Pedals V3 - $1500
PSVR2 - $550

= $3,050

What are some reasonable wheels for normal people to buy for GT7?

R6Rider

Gold Member
What are some reasonable wheels for normal people to buy for GT7?
Best quality to dollar would be Logitech G29. It's the one I went with and it's been great. There's even a few simple and cheap mods you can do to make it better. Usually priced around $250.

mckmas8808

PSVR1 was proof of concept. PSVR2 is execution. PSVR3 will be a polished experience and more mainstream.

I'm assuming PSVR3 will come out in the year 2030. And that's when I think VR will be mainstream. Mainstream meaning any one unit will have the expectation to sell at least 30 million. With full-out success being 50 million units sold.

mckmas8808

Best quality to dollar would be Logitech G29. It's the one I went with and it's been great. There's even a few simple and cheap mods you can do to make it better. Usually priced around $250.

Thanks! It's in my Amazon Wishlist. Just $270 more dollars. I better log at least 50 hours in GT7 at this price lol

R6Rider

Gold Member
Thanks! It's in my Amazon Wishlist. Just $270 more dollars. I better log at least 50 hours in GT7 at this price lol
Worst case you could sell the wheel if you don't much use out of it.

You might want to consider a mount/stand for it too. I got one that can fold up when not being used and keeps the wheel and pedals attached.

Last edited:

Danknugz

wheel / pedals absolutely essential to a VR racer. would also recommend h shifter and a third pedal.

coincidentally, i have a thrust master t300 which actually is made for playstation but works fine on PC. quality is hit/miss, i had one die on me but was able to get it replaced. but a working one is pretty solid force feedback, the wheel is kind of small but can be swapped out with an adapter.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Worst case you could sell the wheel if you don't much use out of it.

You might want to consider a mount/stand for it too. I got one that can fold up when not being used and keeps the wheel and pedals attached.

What's the link to that mount\stand? If I get this wheel (it's a 70% chance I will), it'll be mainly dependent on a good stand that I can tuck away when not using it.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
So the previews for this are saying that there were 'no compromises' for PSVR2 despite hitting 120fps. How is this feasible? On a technical level I'm curious what kind of tricks the dev is pulling to keep it looking great despite the resolution and FPS.

I'm assuming they're using FSR, for starters.

Likely they would attempt a setup that may or may not connect only with it such as maybe Wireless and maybe the specs of the VR device (resolution, refresh rate, etc…) would also require PS6 to feed the headset properly.

Possibly, but they could offer a wired port with 100% bc with ps5

Sure, you wouldn’t get ps6 benefits without a ps6

Markio128

So the previews for this are saying that there were 'no compromises' for PSVR2 despite hitting 120fps. How is this feasible? On a technical level I'm curious what kind of tricks the dev is pulling to keep it looking great despite the resolution and FPS.

I'm assuming they're using FSR, for starters.
It’s mostly the foveated rendering.

mckmas8808

It’s mostly the foveated rendering.

So where's that quote of John Carmack saying that dynamic foveated rendering wouldn't be that much more of a benefit over standard foveated rendering? Clearly he's been proven wrong, right?

Markio128

So where's that quote of John Carmack saying that dynamic foveated rendering wouldn't be that much more of a benefit over standard foveated rendering? Clearly he's been proven wrong, right?
I’m no expert, but GT7 running at 120FPS is a technical marvel, especially when you consider the PS5 just about copes with a solid 60fps. That they can smash out a free update ready for launch tells me that it wasn’t that difficult to achieve either, which gives me hope for other devs adding VR modes in the future. I have a lot of respect for John Carmack, but there is no way GT7 could run at 120fps without foveated rendering.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I’m no expert, but GT7 running at 120FPS is a technical marvel, especially when you consider the PS5 just about copes with a solid 60fps. That they can smash out a free update ready for launch tells me that it wasn’t that difficult to achieve either, which gives me hope for other devs adding VR modes in the future. I have a lot of respect for John Carmack, but there is no way GT7 could run at 120fps without foveated rendering.
Likely it is not native 120 Hz but something like 90 Hz with reprojection.

Top Bottom