• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Screen Shot Thread (56k no)

Phife Dawg said:
I think Strikers looks pretty good. The shots are probably off-screen, that's why they look so blurry.
No Ippo looked OK but once I saw the trailer I had serious doubts about playability and control. Just give me Punch-Out Wii dammit.

Double the post, double the fun.

Alkaliine said:
Strikers is quite good looking but it's only a little step up for the Gamecube version.
Well I haven't played the Wii version yet but I think the vids and screen grabs look smoother and cleaner and have a lot more effects going on as opposed to the GC version.
Oh well in the end I will buy it regardless of graphical enhancements just bc it rocks in multi.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Super Paper Mario

Screen Grabs from GDC Video. GameTrailers. Excuse any blur, darkness, or other off-centeredness that comes from video. Some stuff you may not have noticed before: Recipes? What's that? Visual tricks to make you use 3D. That...could be frustrating, but rewarding when you finally "see" it. Notice the 3D transition. That's cool. One thing I didn't capture (and I didn't know if it was GT or SPM) was this "drain" effect after Mario goes down a pipe. First, he particalizes (think SMS but squares instead of blobs) down the pipe, and then there's a visual "screen drain" effect that makes a nice transition.

Beauty befitting the return of the king.

spm-gdc-11.jpg

spm-gdc-12.jpg

spm-gdc-13.jpg

spm-gdc-14.jpg

spm-gdc-15.jpg

spm-gdc-16.jpg

spm-gdc-17.jpg

spm-gdc-18.jpg

spm-gdc-19.jpg

spm-gdc-20.jpg

spm-gdc-21.jpg

spm-gdc-22.jpg

spm-gdc-23.jpg

spm-gdc-24.jpg

spm-gdc-25.jpg

spm-gdc-27.jpg

spm-gdc-28.jpg

spm-gdc-29.jpg

spm-gdc-30.jpg

spm-gdc-31.jpg

spm-gdc-32.jpg

spm-gdc-33.jpg

PantherLotus said:
Somebody plz notice the beauty of the previous post. It's too awesome to ignore. Official thread launches soon!

I am happy to see the return of the good old NES-style breakable bricks that have been missing on console Marios ever since they left 8-bit land. I do notice however that several of the 3d zones don't appear very... 3d. That is, the floating blocks and the link are centered on the z-axis. And I am getting Zelda flashbacks from Boomer's hidden backdoor. :)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
splattergnome said:
I am happy to see the return of the good old NES-style breakable bricks that have been missing on console Marios ever since they left 8-bit land. I do notice however that several of the 3d zones don't appear very... 3d. That is, the floating blocks and the link are centered on the z-axis. And I am getting Zelda flashbacks from Boomer's hidden backdoor. :)

I think you're right, but I think that's intentional. The 3D parts aren't supposed to be Mario 64 or anything, they're still supposed to exist in a 2D world. One thing I noticed during the video is that by switching to 3D, Mario could walk right around an otherwise imposing enemy, as it was paper thin.

And total agreement about the old-school crack-in-the-wall Zelda reference. Excellence.

EktorPR

Opoona looks nice & interesting, Treasure Island looks sweet from a visual and gameplay perspective, but my God...Project O has me frickin intrigued by those pieces of insanely charming concept art. Can't wait for these three and, of course, Konami's Dewy's Adventure. :D

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
EktorPR said:
Opoona looks nice & interesting, Treasure Island looks sweet from a visual and gameplay perspective, but my God...Project O has me frickin intrigued by those pieces of insanely charming concept art. Can't wait for these three and, of course, Konami's Dewy's Adventure. :D

Agreed. For the first time, we're seeing proof of 3rd party exclusive (and original) content. Expect more soon.

Avrum

Super Paper Mario is truly something that has to be seen in videos. As obvious as the uses of the mechanics seem to be in some situations, it still gets me when they use that to show a potential troublesome barrier, is really just two blocks set across from each on opposites sides of the stage when seeing the same barrier when you switch the viewpoint. It's awesome to say the least.

Treasure Island looks nice as well as Opoona. I have to agree though that Project O's concept art has me anticipating the day we see actual gameplay footage. ^_^

ethelred

Geez... the environments in Opoona look very nice, but the characters (with the thick black outlines) look awful in them. It's such a jarring clash of art styles.

Project O, on the other hand, is going to be outstanding. One of the very best third party announcements so far.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
HOLY ****ING SHIT.

IT'S A CELL-SHADED, DRAGON-QUEST INSPIRED, ROLE PLAYING GAME WITH BETTER THAN DECENT GRAPHICS...AND I CAN PLAY IT WITH ONE HAND, THE WAY THAT RPGS WERE ALWAYS MEANT TO BE???!!!

HOLY ****ING SHIT. If the gameplay is decent, the music is above average, and the story even REMOTELY digestable...this game has so much ****ing potential its disgusting and honestly, a bit unfair. I hope beyond all hopes that this game, with its average looking, cell-shaded graphics, is one of the greatest games ever made.

We can hope.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Alien Syndrome

Well somebody sent this game to the laundromat and it came back...looking good? Whoa. The improved color scheme and nice effects (while a bit polygonal) are well noted. Now tell me wtf this whole thing is about and somebody might actually play it.

Widescreen, too.

scr_009.jpg

scr_010.jpg

scr_011.jpg

scr_012.jpg

scr_013.jpg

scr_014.jpg

scr_015.jpg

scr_016.jpg

AdamBot

PantherLotus said:
Now tell me wtf this whole thing is about and somebody might actually play it.

They do need to get the word out about the game or it will be ignored. The original Alien Syndrome was a great Smash TV copy, damn fun game.

This one controls like the Tank game in Wii Play, move your character with the analog stick, aim where to shoot via pointer. The game does have enormous potential, especially for co-op goodness... I just hope they don't screw it up by making it too repetitive.

It makes me sad when people praise Opoona or Treasure Island :-/
I mean... I AM A NINTENDO-FANBOY. But even i cant see any good in these games.
Cel-Shading on NDS makes games look better...the Cel-Shading in these two Wii-games makes them look like...NDS-games :-/

Right now im playing FF12. Horrible flickering and pixelation, but...Opoona and Treasure Island look worse at any points. And besides the graphics, the character-design is the most unappealing i´ve ever seen. People call the guy from "Dewy´s Adventure" condom-boy? well, the oopona-guy then has to be called "Forget-condom-boy" :-/

Thraktor

AdamBot said:
They do need to get the word out about the game or it will be ignored. The original Alien Syndrome was a great Smash TV copy, damn fun game.

This one controls like the Tank game in Wii Play, move your character with the analog stick, aim where to shoot via pointer. The game does have enormous potential, especially for co-op goodness... I just hope they don't screw it up by making it too repetitive.

Interest +1

Tanks is great fun, hopefully this'll make good use of the scheme.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
MasterMFauli said:
Cel-Shading on NDS makes games look better...the Cel-Shading in these two Wii-games makes them look like...NDS-games :-/

Right now im playing FF12. Horrible flickering and pixelation, but...Opoona and Treasure Island look worse at any points. And besides the graphics, the character-design is the most unappealing i´ve ever seen. People call the guy from "Dewy´s Adventure" condom-boy? well, the oopona-guy then has to be called "Forget-condom-boy" :-/

:lol :lol

Very possibly the stupidest thing I've read all year. And I read GAF all day, every day.

AdamBot

PantherLotus said:

Very possibly the stupidest thing I've read all year. And I read GAF all day, every day.

Same thing I was thinking, but didn't even want to dignify such a post with recognition.

AdamBot said:
Correction: You were insulted for attacking someone else's opinions on art direction and character design.

Then im sorry, but these are 2 games where it´s really hard for me to understand any possible appealing factor for another person.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
MasterMFauli said:
Wow, i get insulted for criticizing Wii-games...how low has my Nintendo-fanboy-meter fallen :-/

I think what raised the ire was saying DS games look better...

AdamBot

MasterMFauli said:
Then im sorry, but these are 2 games where it´s really hard for me to understand any possible appealing factor for another person.

As stupid as this is going to sound to most people... the best way I can describe the reasoning behind my preferences for art direction, etc. seems to stem from my lack of interest in games with a 'realistic' art style. I favor Wind Waker heavily over Ocarina of Time's semi-generic look... althought Twilight Princess is somewhere in the middle with the pseudo-manga style they went with. I'm getting off track here though...

I prefer games that are colorful/whimsical most of the time... Mario, Sonic, Pikmin, Katamari, Pokémon, Kirby, Viva Pinata, etc. I play games to escape from reality... not to mimic it.

Althought, there are plenty of people with the complete opposite perspective on it... which is why both types of games continue to sell well.

Lobster

Banned
MasterMFauli said:

I have to agree with Opoona but Treasure island looks weird...in a good way. Whatcha smoking?

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
I'm getting a certain vibe from Opoona....I just don't remember what it reminds me of. Does anyone know of a Dreamcast game, I believe it was a platformer, that had a somewhat similar art style in terms of character design. The main character was blue, I know that.

Alpha_eX

schuelma said:
Oh snap! Good thing he wasn't talking about that game then huh!
He was wrong about Opoona or Treasure Hunter Z looking worse than DS games but Alien Solider looks terrible, I was making a point about that game.

JadedOne

Barf_the_Mog said:
I'm getting a certain vibe from Opoona....I just don't remember what it reminds me of. Does anyone know of a Dreamcast game, I believe it was a platformer, that had a somewhat similar art style in terms of character design. The main character was blue, I know that.

Super Magnetic Neo??

200px-Smnbox.jpg

AdamBot said:
I favor Wind Waker heavily over Ocarina of Time's semi-generic look... althought Twilight Princess is somewhere in the middle with the pseudo-manga style they went with. I'm getting off track here though...

I prefer games that are colorful/whimsical most of the time... Mario, Sonic, Pikmin, Katamari, Pokémon, Kirby, Viva Pinata, etc. I play games to escape from reality... not to mimic it.

Althought, there are plenty of people with the complete opposite perspective on it... which is why both types of games continue to sell well.

Change OoT with TP, remoe Viva Pinata, and i like all those game´s styles as well. That´s because they´re appealing. The guy from treasure island, though, looks as if this isnt a hat on his head, but rather a spider sitting on his head. It just looks...bad to me.

If you really like the style, i apologize for saying the above.:)

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
PantherLotus said:

I felt the same way until I watched the trailer. Then: interest +1000

Roklie

I don't like the look of these games at all, I mean the environments in Opoona are like some from PS1/N64 games, seriously what's up with the graphics on Wii.. Mario Galaxy looks exellent, but looking at these shots makes it hard to think that they're all actually on the same system. Wii doesn't feel like next gen at all, it's more like a big step back with the controlling taking a step to the next level, I want to play some graphically beautiful games on Wii.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Roklie said:
I don't like the look of these games at all, I mean the environments in Opoona are like some from PS1/N64 games, seriously what's up with the graphics on Wii.. Mario Galaxy looks exellent, but looking at these shots makes it hard to think that they're all actually on the same system. Wii doesn't feel like next gen at all, it's more like a big step back with the controlling taking a step to the next level, I want to play some graphically beautiful games on Wii.

While I do realize this is your opinion, you laced your opinion with horrendous stupidity.

You're not even trying. Nobody would dare suggest that these games are graphically superior to anything...but comparing Opoona to the N64? Are you TRYING to get banned? C'mon d00d that's just blatant stupidity. I'll be the first to admit that the Wii disappoints graphically, most of the time. The textures suck in nearly every game. But is it really anywhere CLOSE to the N64? Bah. That's bullshit.

I definitely see Opoona as something that surpasses the quality of DQVIII on the PS2.

Top Bottom