• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 in Sept rumor picks up steam (IGN)

GhaleonEB

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Something I didn't even consider, but what if this positioning is to allow Too Human to be the 'big' holiday game in November? MS obviously isn't going to put all of their weight behind PGR 4, and nearly everything else of note for 2007 should be out by then (sans Lost Odyssey, and that's not really looking like THE game at the moment).

Think about it, releasing a new IP with online co-op, MS-published, UE3.0, right in the heart of the holiday season with a huge advertisment push? Even if the game doesn't live up to the hype, it could be another Gears in terms of out-of-the-gate sales. MS would then have a comfortable stable of 1st-party IPs, all of which are semi-guaranteed multi-million sellers, a luxury they didn't have with the Xbox.

Plus, DD confirmed Too Human will have a playable demo before release. If the game delivers, the demo will do wonders for the title. The demo, holiday timing, etc. could make it a monster. If it's good.

Owzers

Rolling thunder :p

September - people buy 360 for Halo 3 if they already don't own it
October - GTA 4
November - third parties clean up with the higher installed base and the two big titles already out.

RumFore

Banned
I hope it is in fact released in Sept so other games don't get lost in all the commotion. I also dont want to have to go back and forth with GTA4, Halo3 and Mario Galaxy.

thekad

Banned
offtopic, but when in the hell are those new Halo 2 maps coming? I haven't heard about them since December.

Mifune

Mehmber
GhaleonEB said:
Plus, DD confirmed Too Human will have a playable demo before release. If the game delivers, the demo will do wonders for the title. The demo, holiday timing, etc. could make it a monster. If it's good.

Well, Microsoft has supposedly been VERY high on Too Human, so who knows.

It would make sense to give another title the holiday spotlight, instead of insta-megaton Halo 3.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
hay guys whuts goan on?

1173277999-Uglycat.b.jpg

Stinkles

thekad said:
offtopic, but when in the hell are those new Halo 2 maps coming? I haven't heard about them since December.

More news soon on the maps.

PS, this other stuff is pure speculation. Halo 3 will ship when it's ready.

GhaleonEB said:

I honestly think Too Human is coming out sooner than we think. Denis already said he knows the "date" when it is coming out and with his new philosophy about not allowing the press to preview games until the games are complete (IGN is previewing the game next week), I can see Too Human coming out in May or June.

Stinkles

ToyMachine228 said:
Really hoping that Halo 3's single-player is everything I wanted Halo 2's Campaign to be. Online Co-Op is also a must as well.

More. Read the update this week where I quote another Bungie staffer saying, "Oh my god I can't believe that I am literally enjoying this level more than anything else I have ever played in Halo 1 or 2."

Tieno

Stinkles said:
More. Read the update this week where I quote another Bungie staffer saying, "Oh my god I can't believe that I am literally enjoying this level more than anything else I have ever played in Halo 1 or 2."
Teasing the teaser updates...impressive! I bow before you!

GhaleonEB

Stinkles said:
You know, I love both of the Halo campaigns (and Halo 2 is my favorite game ever largely based on that campaign) so this has be simply giddy.

Striker

Halo 3 with Halo: CE's single player and Halo 2's multiplayer would be insane, plus co-op. :D

BTW, I think Halo 3 releasing in November makes most sense, as the previous two did.

Sounds like a very good strategic move on MS' part. There are many people out there holding out on an Xbox 360 purchase until Halo 3 drops, and this is just going to reel them in earlier. Also, consider the month. GTA comes out the month after September (or at least it's scheduled to). Halo 3 and GTA in the same month on the Xbox 360? Instant success.

Plus I wouldn't be surprised if we see a September price cut to go along with this. Right now it seems like MS is controlling the biggest cards in the game

Firestorm

September would be nice, but Blue Dragon comes out in August and I need time to finish that =(

Pre-ordered the Collector's Edition today. Cost me a total of $45 + tax = ~$51 Canadian. Yay to trade-in promos ^_^

Stinkles said:

flasher.jpg

You Tease!

NinSoX

Banned
I rather wait an extra 2 months to make sure it's absolutely as polished as it can be. It's basically the finale of the series, though I'm sure there will be prequels;-)

C4Lukins

---- said:
I think the Halo 3 being released in September thing is probably due to pressure from 3rd parties who don't want their holiday releases overshadowed. Halo 3 is the biggest video game release ever in the United States. Preorders are easily outstripping anything in US history. If they are releasing in September it better be late in the month.

I have problems with the September release because they are sacrificing 1.5 to 2 months of polish that Bungie could have added to the game. I don't like it. Considering how important the game is it should get as much time as is reasonable this year.

I can agree on the polish thing, but if t is ready by then, no reason to wait an extra couple of months. I doubt it has anything to do with pressure though. The 360 is going to sell like hotcakes during the holliday regardless of the exact release date of Halo 3. This will give them an extra two months of big 360 hardware sales,

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Fatalah said:
I think I might be too involved with the new GTA to even notice!

you'll be too involved with waiting for GTA 4? it doesn't come out till october!

C4Lukins said:
I can agree on the polish thing, but if t is ready by then, no reason to wait an extra couple of months. I doubt it has anything to do with pressure though. The 360 is going to sell like hotcakes during the holliday regardless of the exact release date of Halo 3. This will give them an extra two months of big 360 hardware sales,

the whole idea is that it makes a good 1-2 punch. Halo 3 will be a media frenzy again and with GTA 4 right afterwards, it makes the xbox 360 an easier christmas purchase. It'd be a very smart plan.

thatbox

Banned
Hopefully they don't realize that, fiscally, they shouldn't pricedrop the 360 until after this comes out, and that they could price this at whatever the **** they wanted to.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Stinkles said:
oh.shit.

I don't know how well you can judge a Halo game's development timeframe by the version of the multiplayer build, but to give you an idea, I'm pretty sure the beta for Halo 2 was conducted sometime during July/August of 2004 based on some people I've talked to who participated in it. This was the actual beta and not the delta (next developmental step beyond the beta) which came out shortly after I believe in September sometime and was only for a limited number of people.

Now, Jarrard has confirmed that our beta will in fact be the delta. This means two things: we'll be playing a near final build of Halo 3's multiplayer during the beta and secondly, Halo 3 will be much further along far earlier in the year than Halo 2.

If the campaign and the multiplayer are this far along now, they could be completed by sometime this summer and then they would have some comprehensive debugging to be done and probably loads of testing, but overall, I think the September deadline could work. It would definitely give other games room to breath in a really quality/costly fall schedule for Xbox 360 fans.

I could be wrong about the above H2 beta info. Frank, feel free to correct me on it if necessary...

FrankT

Just ran across this, pics inside;

Today, we bring you new pictures of the Halo 3 Legendary Edition and the very first images of the Collector's Edition, for which retailers have no info yet on the material included but they do have a price: $69.99.

The Halo 3 Legendary Edition, which comes packed into a Halo Spartan Mjolnir Mark VI Helmet replica will sell for $99.99 and includes:

Behind-the-scenes at Bungie Studios with new insights into the Halo Universe and the making of Halo 3.

A special hi-res collection of all cinematics from Halo 1 and Halo 2 with director commentary from the Bungie Team bonus.
Community content from Red vs. Blue, This Spartan Life and Exclusive Gamer Tiles & a Theme.

Each unit will be serialized for added individuality and collectability

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13021/Halo-3-Legendary-and-Collectors-Edition-Pictures/

C4Lukins

I hope the collectors edition includes most of the content of the Legendary edition. That collectors edition case is pretty bad ass.

Lakitu said:
My most anticipated game EVER. And I prefer Halo 2's single player than the first, it's incredible.

I agree, the story and dialogue of Halo 2 were superior to Halo 1 in almost every way. The only problem I had with it was the excessive linear environments and the fact that they cut out the last two or three levels (according to something Staten apparently said during a conference at his university).

I think it would have been better with the original ending. There's a G4TV screenshot...here it is which shows the Ark and to the left it reads Chief/Dervish. Dervish was the Arbiter's code name during the development of Halo 2. On other storyboard shots like this we usually see the name of the character involved in the scene and a sketch of the environment. No different here, except we see that both the Chief and the Arbiter were involved in this scene.

My guess is that the game probably would have felt a lot better for people if they would have returned to Earth, battled some more there, and then had the Chief and the Arbiter approach the Ark (similar to the Announcement Trailer).

Heheh. Ironically, this spits in the face of my previous post on this very thread. Ouch.

Kuroyume said:
Halo doesn't have to beat any rush. Halo is THE game of the fall (along with GTA).

I don't get these people. Launch it on November 7th. It's like the blockbuster month for games.

Considering there is Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Metal Gear Solid, and Grand Theft Auto all coming out this fall, I think it atleast has some competition.

Stinkles

Mr Vociferous said:
My guess is that the game probably would have felt a lot better for people if they would have returned to Earth, battled some more there, and then had the Chief and the Arbiter approach the Ark (similar to the Announcement Trailer).

We thought that folks would be super-excited to find out they got to go to another of the seven Halos, so we deliberately set all of the marketing and so on at Earth, saving the journey to Halo as a surprise. That backfired on us when some of our players felt "tricked" that we'd promised an all-Earth campaign, which would have been repetitive and not really in the spirit of Halo IMO.

Stinkles said:
We thought that folks would be super-excited to find out they got to go to another of the seven Halos, so we deliberately set all of the marketing and so on at Earth, saving the journey to Halo as a surprise. That backfired on us when some of our players felt "tricked" that we'd promised an all-Earth campaign, which would have been repetitive and not really in the spirit of Halo IMO.

Point taken and I've heard you say this before in an interview. I agree, an all-Earth campaign would have been boring and repetitive and not a particularly good decision in the light of some of the issues people had with Halo 1.

GhaleonEB

Stinkles said:

Back in October 2003, Bungie put out a vidoc in which Joe State describes Halo 2 as, "a galictic romp from one place to the next". Give how famous this video was - it has the "30-seconds of fun" quote in it - I thought everyone picked up on that line as well. I took it as a clear message that surprises were in store after the earth battle and am still surprised people are pissed given signal Bungie sent.

squicken

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200703/N07.0315.1215.33382.htm

GI: In a previous Bungie Weekly update, you guys reported that the Beta could arrive in "Late Spring." Spring is technically March 21 - June 21. So potentially, are we looking at a June release for the beta?

Jarrard: Pulling together all the various pieces for something of this magnitude is no small order. Everyone is working hard to make sure we get the beta into the hands of our fans sometime this spring as promised. You'll have to stay tuned for further details.

--------

New Interview, or at least new to me.

Yeah, I talked about it in my first post in this thread. In that interview he talks about the beta being the delta build of the game, which for me is awesome. Whenever I've heard that term used when referencing a game's development, it's meant "near final build." It makes sense being that we've already been told there will be decorators, atmospherics, and others final build effects in the beta.

Top Bottom