• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ctrl+Alt+Deceive: All The Dirt, Info, Lies, and LOLs We Found During FTC vs. Microsoft

Unknown?

I'm really not worried about literally paid people. Sure there are some around but it's relatively few. The issue is the manipulation of fans to troll and spread rumors and stuff. Id point to the runup to this gen where there was a ludicrous amount of negative rumors about the PS5. It was one thing after another and spammed down pages.

MS deliberately riles their fans. 20 years hence, Xbox fandom is firmly preoccupied with ps because ultimately the Xbox birthright is to be the ps killer. You do not need to get paid to join the mission. Just properly directed and motivated. And that makes a lot of fucking people. Way more of them and more disruptive than anyone getting paid.
Yeah there was no doubt in my mind that those fake rumors were Microsoft originated.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Great thread Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007

Just love how folks where hoping it was sonys dirty laundry that would be out on mass, ended up being microsofts.

Those folks right now.
KeenTallGadwall-max-1mb.gif
I actually forgot all about it lol. It's so true. Everybody -- including pro-MS "journalists" -- were spreading FUD that if Sony decided to pursue this any further in courts, their own dirty laundry would become public.

Vognerful

Thanks for the comment and suggestions.
  1. I've added the word 'often' in the title.
  2. The next 2 weren't big enough news to be added: the 1st one is a given as that has been Sony's stance since the beginning, and the 2nd one was just Jim saying that he doesn't have all the info and data to say what he would do. That's like nothing. I've also not added other similar-sized news.
  3. I disagree. The email shows a clear will to spend Sony out of business and they proved it by spending $80 billion in only 4 years since that email.
  4. The word 'implies' takes care of that.
  5. The subsequent content only adds additional context and reported information to explain its importance and why this point is here. It doesn't have any commentary.
  6. The mobile business part is in the details as part of his original email screenshot. That provides additional context for "why" he suggested it. In my defense, it's nearly impossible to provide complete context in headers only. The subsequent and images are responsible for providing additional context once the header hooks the reader.
  7. Same as above.
  8. The text started with "According to Jim Ryan," so it seems trivial and repetitive ... but I've edited the header anyway.
  9. Because it discusses the present. Gen 8 is behind us by 3 years. This is what they are currently doing on a weekly/monthly basis so the header is 100% accurate.

1st one is a given as that has been Sony's stance since the beginning
This is not true. The initial email from jim ryan and his testimony did not include anything that Bethesda games should stop being exclusive to Microsoft consoles.

• I disagree. The email shows a clear will to spend Sony out of business and they proved it by spending $80 billion in only 4 years since that email.
again, this position is not concluded from the chain of emails, but rather trying to link other things to it. That email alone is clear to what it tries to say and your header is not that.

• The word 'implies' takes care of that.

Again, this is your assumption on the subject and not what is reported. "implies" doesn't mean maybe; it means not stated directly. You are saying that all 17 companies were approached. Unless you have an evidence, please change.

• The subsequent content only adds additional context and reported information to explain its importance and why this point is here. It doesn't have any commentary.
Again, this is your external input into the subject. We can have a better header on how Microsoft is frustrated with not being able to enter the mobile market, or their views on who will be their consumers for xcloud, but our reading of the matter sounds more like conspiracy theory.

• The mobile business part is in the details as part of his original email screenshot. That provides additional context for "why" he suggested it. In my defense, it's nearly impossible to provide complete context in headers only. The subsequent and images are responsible for providing additional context once the header hooks the reader.
I read the emails you posted, and they match more with my reading than your clickbait reduction

• Same as above.
Same as above
  • Because it discusses the present. Gen 8 is behind us by 3 years. This is what they are currently doing on a weekly/monthly basis so the header is 100% accurate.
it is not. Your title means that microsoft does not ever consider Nintendo console sales ever in their reports.
the picture you linked only shows that how they defined "console Gen9 share" which means they do not include Nintendo switch when they show their sales report of xbox series console and ps5. IT DOES NOT prove that 1) it was the case during gen8 2) won't be the case during new nintendo switch when it is released.

Neo_GAF

Banned
fun to see people still shit on ms. its the same with conspiracy people telling bill gates was behind COVID and the autism-juice spread around the world.
ms and sony are corporations, are you guys really mentally deranged enough thinking one company is better than the other?

people defending MS/SONY hardcore to show their dedication. congratz, you are doing free advertisment for that company.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
fun to see people still shit on ms. its the same with conspiracy people telling bill gates was behind COVID and the autism-juice spread around the world.
ms and sony are corporations, are you guys really mentally deranged thinking one company is better than the other?
Corporations are judged on their actions, their leadership, their missions, their competence, their impact on the world, and any number of other metrics.

Corporations are not all the same.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
People saying (without evidence) that Bill Gates is behind COVID is just a conspiracy theory in its absolute form.

People criticizing Microsoft/Xbox, because their internal emails and strategies are the opposite of their public statements and promises (after seeing evidence), is the opposite of a conspiracy theory.
ms and sony are corporations, are you guys really mentally deranged enough thinking one company is better than the other?
We can't assume that Sony also lies just because Microsoft lies, or vice versa. You'll have to surface similar evidence against Sony for us to count both Sony and Microsoft in the same category and scale.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
People saying (without evidence) that Bill Gates is behind COVID is just a conspiracy theory in its absolute form.

People criticizing Microsoft/Xbox, because their internal emails and strategies are the opposite of their public statements and promises (after seeing evidence), is the opposite of a conspiracy theory.

We can't assume that Sony also lies just because Microsoft lies, or vice versa. You'll have to surface similar evidence against Sony for us to count both Sony and Microsoft in the same category and scale.
Remember when Sony included root kits on their CD's infecting millions of computers. And then released a fix that actually wasn't a fix and installed more software and didn't remove the root kit? Oh and there response was this -
"Most people, I think, don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?"

bitbydeath

This is not true. The initial email from jim ryan and his testimony did not include anything that Bethesda games should stop being exclusive to Microsoft consoles.

again, this position is not concluded from the chain of emails, but rather trying to link other things to it. That email alone is clear to what it tries to say and your header is not that.

Again, this is your assumption on the subject and not what is reported. "implies" doesn't mean maybe; it means not stated directly. You are saying that all 17 companies were approached. Unless you have an evidence, please change.

Again, this is your external input into the subject. We can have a better header on how Microsoft is frustrated with not being able to enter the mobile market, or their views on who will be their consumers for xcloud, but our reading of the matter sounds more like conspiracy theory.

I read the emails you posted, and they match more with my reading than your clickbait reduction

Same as above

it is not. Your title means that microsoft does not ever consider Nintendo console sales ever in their reports.
the picture you linked only shows that how they defined "console Gen9 share" which means they do not include Nintendo switch when they show their sales report of xbox series console and ps5. IT DOES NOT prove that 1) it was the case during gen8 2) won't be the case during new nintendo switch when it is released.
You can try put your own spin on it but the official content is there and that’s what’s important.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Phil jerked off in a burger and called it mayo. Jim Ryan ate it and found it tasty. Later Bobby Kottick regretted not eating two burgers. Now, Phil is trying to tell them it wasn’t mayo at all and wants to make the man burger exclusive to his summer grill out parties.

Anywho. I think this will lead to the acquisition 100% being shut down. There was a chance but this turned disastrous. Only chance to save it is greasing some palms.

kyussman

I've not gamed this gen,at first I couldn't get hold of a PS5 for a long time,then I realised there really wasn't anything very interesting coming that made me excited to game again......now all of this aquisition stuff has really turned me off the whole of gaming......I just turned 50 the other day so I've done a lot of gaming over the years,I think I may be done at this point.This gen has been a huge let down so far and I'm really not down with the way things are heading.....if things turn around or some amazing game comes along that ignites my interest again then I may well come back because I still love the medium....I can't help feeling the whole medium is being held back by these money grabbing execs and their constant desire to fleece gamers for every penny they have.

Melchiah

The funny thing is that I would argue that MS was never really all that good at it for the last 20 years. They tried this approach to push people towards HD-DVD instead of bluray. It failed and failed miserably. Xbox was successful because it was run by smart people who had an eye for good quality content. Xbox era from 2005 to 2010 was some of the best exclusive gaming. All those people are gone.

Apple fanboys are the example of evangelism working. Now that Jobs is gone, it's not quite what it used to be, but Apple still has it's loyalty.

Actually, I remember reading about it back in the day, and Microsoft's ultimate strategy was to delay the outcome of the HD format war in favor of streaming.

NahaNago

Yeah, this ftc trial really reveals Phil and xbox's true stance on a lot of issues. Most of it should have been figured out with some common sense but fanboys and Microsoft evangelist will tell you the opposite.

I'm still surprised Sony didn't know how to correctly black out there important papers. My conspiracy theorist side says they did it on purpose.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah, this ftc trial really reveals Phil and xbox's true stance on a lot of issues. Most of it should have been figured out with some common sense but fanboys and Microsoft evangelist will tell you the opposite.

I'm still surprised Sony didn't know how to correctly black out there important papers. My conspiracy theorist side says they did it on purpose.
Apparently, it was the FTC's fault. Sony asked them to redact those lines, and FTC only used a grey sharpie lol.

The judge, at the end of the hearing, specifically called out "no sharpie!" 😄

NahaNago

Apparently, it was the FTC's fault. Sony asked them to redact those lines, and FTC only used a grey sharpie lol.

The judge, at the end of the hearing, specifically called out "no sharpie!" 😄
That seems even weirder though. Since this is something you would think they deal with on the regular.

Nearly everything in the OP of this glorious thread sheds a shining light over what I've been saying for a few years now. It should be prohibited for platform holders to buy out publishers. Period. Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Valve, Google, Apple, Epic. Every single one of them should be legally banned from making such an anti-consumer move. If you are a platform holder, you aren't allowed to simply buy out the industry. This should have been addressed as soon as MS bought out Zenimax and immediately cancelled the PS version of every single Zenimax title they weren't contractually obligated to bring to PS. We have a near 40 year history of how Microsoft does business--by spending anyone who dares oppose them into oblivion and content starving anyone who refuses to bend the knee.

This deal would be equally as bad for gamers everywhere if Sony were the ones trying to acquire ABK. About the only positive I could say in such a situation is that Sony literally cannot afford to make all of ABK's titles exclusive to PS even if they came to possess the company and wanted to. ABK alone is worth 75% of their entire annual gross revenue (which was $88B in FY 2021). MS can afford to keep everything ABK off of PS and lose tens of billions of dollars in the process and they won't even feel it. In the meantime they'd be achieving their primary goal in gaming--ensuring their biggest competitor is left to wither on the vine.

When platform holders buy out publishers, everyone loses, and there needs to be a serious anti-trust law passed to ban this practice and prevent MS and anyone else in the space from trying to do this. Entire industries should not be for sale to the highest bidder. The market should decide who the winners and losers are.

Last edited:

HawarMiran

Banned
i would welcome Microsoft moving to the mobile market and shutting down Xbox. Bring back Sega and i can be a happy 90s kid again :messenger_winking_tongue:

Top Bottom