• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is how Microsoft reacted to PS5's price hike ,Spencer on forced Horizon PS5 bundle and Sales momentum

damiank

It's almost as if the talking points are disseminated during the late-night rendez-vous between Sarah Bond and Klobrille:

Fy8eON_akAEqFVb

Ahhh... young love.
Something is off with both of them.

Lol, missed that part. It's pretty hard not to read it as
mr burns GIF

It's kinda wierd reading these emails (and the previous ones, especially from Booty) because I really don't think their intent is explicitly evil corp™ but it's just funny how they formulate their sentences as if they really are at times.

Very much Ecorp level from Mr Robot.

Crayon

This is confirming my theory that they are basing decisions on their own astroturfing. They really believe bundles and price hikes make some sort of opening for them, but then reality comes knocking and they have to do the same thing anyhow.

The Chief Diversity Officer at my company mandated it for all employees. Failure to do so = immediate termination.
Does the Chief Diversity officer look like this? You should complain to HR that they tried to sexually assault you and that they also misgendered you during your email conversations and then blast them/they on Twitter.
mQHkL0D.jpg

Last edited:

Tams

Lol, missed that part. It's pretty hard not to read it as
mr burns GIF

It's kinda wierd reading these emails (and the previous ones, especially from Booty) because I really don't think their intent is explicitly evil corp™ but it's just funny how they formulate their sentences as if they really are at times.

What gets me is the absolute word salads they come up with.

FFS, if this is the level of communication and discussion they have, hire me for the big bucks. At least I can put a proper sentence together!

Deft Beck

Stop arguing about the pronoun stuff in this thread, it's not the point.

I think Sony only bundled in the Horizon sequel with the PS5 to boost sales numbers and expand that franchise. I can't think of anyone who is an earnest fan of the franchise without also being a fervent Sony fan.

Anyway, Microsoft wanted to be more nimble and flexible for consumers while Sony can do whatever they want because they're #1.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Made them react to it, where's the lie? Do you honestly believe the price of the Series X would go up if PS5 didn't? they're reacting to the market leader.
Yes. Everything everywhere went up. From food, to cars, to subs to concert tickets, to movies, to utilities, to rent, to insurance, to every single thing we consume.

JackMcGunns

Sounds more like both of them had to increase prices due to inflation and MS anticipated Sony being first to do it, so they were discussing the timing of doing the same.

There you go, but keep in mind that MS was willing to take a hit in order to remain competitive with the PS5, there's ZERO chance the Series X would get a price hike without the PS5 getting one first. The OG Xbox cost $100 more than they were selling it for, but they had to compete with the PS2 priced at $299 even though Xbox had 4-controller ports, a built in hard drive, a 5x DVD drive, built in ehternet, 5.1 dolby digital sound processor and an expensive Intel P3 class CPU and a cutting edge nVidia GPU where MS spent 200 million dollars on the small company to R&D what became the GeForce 3. And when the PS2 dropped its price when manufacturing became cheap for them, MS had to react and drop the price of Xbox even though nVidia refused to give them a break over time, forcing them to lose even more money, they did this NOT from the kindness of their hearts, but they needed to react to the market leader, and it's no different when the price goes up, it is Sony who has the upper hand here and dictates it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
but they needed to react to the market leader, and it's no different when the price goes up, it is Sony who has the upper hand here and dictates it.
No. They don't. They needed to react to their bottom line during inflation.

If anything, staying cheaper is the better reaction, but they would be constantly in the red more than they already were.

JackMcGunns

Yes. Everything everywhere went up. From food, to cars, to subs to concert tickets, to movies, to utilities, to rent, to insurance, to every single thing we consume.

Right, we know the reason Sony raised the price of the PS5, but there's zero chance the XSX would go up if Sony continued taking a hit. Traditionally, since the OG Xbox, MS has adjusted its price to remain competitive, regardless if they lost money, the only time and a disastrous time was with Xbone, they got caught with their pants down, but the $100 dollar difference had everything to do with Kinect, which they later dropped and then priced evenly.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Right, we know the reason Sony raised the price of the PS5, but there's zero chance the XSX would go up if Sony continued taking a hit. Traditionally, since the OG Xbox, MS has adjusted its price to remain competitive, regardless if they lost money, the only time and a disastrous time was with Xbone, they got caught with their pants down, but the $100 dollar difference had everything to do with Kinect, which they later dropped and then priced evenly.
This makes more sense when constructed this way. I do not think it was a reaction to Sony, but a "thank fuck they did, because we are all eating cost here." Sony made it easier for them, yes.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

No. They don't. They needed to react to their bottom line during inflation.

If anything, staying cheaper is the better reaction, but they would be constantly in the red more than they already were.

It's both actually. Of course they need to react to their bottom line, duh, but their bottom line would take an even bigger hit if they raise the price and become more expensive than the PS5, then THEY WOULD REALLY be in trouble, their bottom line would suffer much worse losses if HW sales dropped considerably.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's both actually. Of course they need to react to their bottom line, duh, but their bottom line would take an even bigger hit if they raise the price and become more expensive than the PS5, then THEY WOULD REALLY be in trouble, their bottom line would suffer much worse losses if HW sales dropped considerably.
They are dropping considerably. They are down YoY in every region the past several months now. With YoY %'s that are of a console that has been on the market for 7 years and not just under 3.

Last edited:

skit_data

I don't know where this should go so I'm just putting it here. Jez has lost it....

Yeah, I saw these tweets and tbh if he's correct it actually sounds pretty worrying:

Makes it sound as if Phil is the only thing holding it together and I doubt he'll be there forever

skit_data

I mean, Phil's job, title, and salary/livelihood literally depends on it.
Yeah, but the Kinda Funny interview didn't really give off the impression of a man on a mission so to speak. I'm just worried the whole shit could implode and take a large swath of the industrys dev studios with it if MS suddenly had a change of heart.

Last edited:
Please respect the pronouns everyone. I think its great when people do that so we know how to refer to someone. Many times we have no idea what someones gender may be. My pronouns are they/them so it helps.

Anyway not surprised because MS probably saw the currency exchange rate going up in other countries figuring they would have to do the same, but hated to look like the bad ones

Would anyone ask him where are Xbox’s games like Horizon? They play these games so surely they must think to themselves why a fair number of their own offerings are not on that level particularly technically.

It was embarrassing last generation when you compared what the two were offering at times.

Xbox has so much potential not tapped into

Top Bottom