• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Retail sources talk used Xbox One games, £35 for used game in UK [U2: Eurogamer]

Plus does any else find it scary MS/gamestop will be fiddling around with your account over cloud? Sharing account information, remotely deactivating your games, etc Fuck that.

That is a bad idea remember Microsoft had a problem with people's xbox live accounts getting stolen for about and a year and half possibly two years. This type of system could lead to a lot of head aches for consumers.

The only way to win is not to play the game.

I really hope Sony is not going down this needlessly complicated path because I'll just bow out of next-generation entirely. I'll vote with my dollars.

...the publisher of the title in question will automatically receive a percentage cut of the sale. As will Microsoft.

Love how Microsoft weaseled their way in to get a totally undeserved cut of a used game sale.

I hope Sony doesn't also have a convoluted mess of a used game system like this. If they don't they should market that fact extensively, and in a sane world consumers will reward them for it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Love how Microsoft weaseled their way in to get a totally undeserved cut of a used game sale.

I hope Sony doesn't also have a convoluted mess of a used game system like this. If they don't they should market that fact extensively, and in a sane world consumers will reward them for it.

Why does MS get a cut?

Woggerman

Banned
I think retailers hold all the cards here. Microsoft need them, they don't need Microsoft.

If Gamespot refused to stock Xbox products they could still fill a shop twice over with stuff from their competitors.

I just don't see what's in it for the retailer at this point. Microsoft are asking them to put their head in the noose and they're doing it with a big smile on their face.

isn't the margin on consoles and games tiny for retailers? Somebody probably has numbers but I always remember it being close to nothing on new consoles.

marketing dollars I can see. But I would bet Sony and Nintendo would bite their hand off to get that space.

Consoles are around 3%. Games are 20%. Accessories vary. Marketing dollars are based on how much the retailer orders and then deferred of of future invoices(DFI for short) Usually its 1-2%. May not seem like a lot, but losing Microsoft means also losing all of the products sold that would work on the system. This includes all of the marketing money from the third parties and more importantly mindshare. If I own both systems, am I going to a store where I can only buy a game for one or do I go to another store where everything is available. All of this leads to money.

PaulLFC

The more I think about this, the more completely insane it sounds. I cannot fathom why Microsoft think this is a good idea if it's true - apart from "greed". If that's their only reason, this will not end well for them.

Subxero

That is a bad idea remember Microsoft had a problem with people's xbox live accounts getting stolen for about and a year and half possibly two years. This type of system could lead to a lot of head aches for consumers.

So not only would your live account be compromised but so would all your games. So it makes it even more a target for account thieves.

I'm sure someone said this a out update 2 but ill mention it anyways.

The company accepting the used game will pass off the cost to the Customer. In fact they may use it for increased profits. For instance. Say someone is trading in COD Ghost Dogs for Xbone. GameStop rep says well we have to pay an $8 fee to have this repurposed so we can only offer $22 of trade in credit instead of $30. Now they resell it at $50 instead of $45 and say we had to pay $8 to repurpose this disc so we can't sell for cheaper!

harSon

Banned

It's the same as Microsoft receiving a cut for a newly purchased game. That's the point of this system, to potentially regain revenue lost to used games.

Taker666

- Even though we already knew this EA are a bunch of scum bags. "We are getting rid of online passes for the consumer!!" fuck off assholes.
- Don't know why Gamestop will play along. They will go from making a $20-$25 profit to $5 at most. I know this setup was a publishers wet dream but this is bullshit. Why should they receive money from the same copy over and over and over? They are treating used games as NEW and that's bullshit. I guarantee this will fudge NPD numbers as well. Unless all these sales count as a digital sale.
- There's no way possible the fee will be lower than full price. Lets say the fee is 30 bucks. Whats to stop my buddies and I passing the disc around to buy the game at a cheaper price? MS knows they have no other choice they want to damage control as much as possible. With that said what to stop them selling full price at Gamestop? Shit i'm starting to think gamestop will get even less than $5.

Plus does any else find it scary MS/gamestop will be fiddling around with your account over cloud? Sharing account information, remotely deactivating your games, etc Fuck that.

Even EA's online passes are preferable to this. This is far worse.

At least with them the consumer could resell/give their game to whoever they wanted...and choose whether to use the online pass or not to ensure they kept the value high....and the buyer could choose to play it offline or buy a new pass if the old one was used.

You've got no choice with this method.

Just dont support this kind of thinking. It´s anti consumer bullshit! Be smart and dont accept it!

Sony better go the other way around and they will have my money!

I think this is what I'm most worried about. The process might sound good on paper, but there's a whole bunch of X factors that aren't being considered. If there's problems with the servers, people won't be able to play games they own. What happens if I own a game but don't sell it, and there's a mistake and I get denied access to my own game? Can you imagine going through Microsoft support and the headache that would cause? It just seems like a lot of online hassle and fidgeting around with accounts and shit that could open up a world of pain.

Zukuu

Banned
The more I think about this, the more completely insane it sounds. I cannot fathom why Microsoft think this is a good idea if it's true - apart from "greed". If that's their only reason, this will not end well for them.

What else? They're coming up with their cloud crap just to justify this. It's exactly like Sim City's PR crap about "the experience".

have we still not yet come to a consensus regarding this?

it's obviously bad, no way around it - people who don't seem to think this is bad should be convinced by now....

right?

are we going to reject this console?

1-D_FTW

I'm sure someone said this a out update 2 but ill mention it anyways.

The company accepting the used game will pass off the cost to the Customer. In fact they may use it for increased profits. For instance. Say someone is trading in COD Ghost Dogs for Xbone. GameStop rep says well we have to pay an $8 fee to have this repurposed so we can only offer $22 of trade in credit instead of $30. Now they resell it at $50 instead of $45 and say we had to pay $8 to repurpose this disc so we can't sell for cheaper!

It's been discussed. Apparently GS only gets 10 percent of the cut. So it seems the player and Gamestop are both getting the shaft. It seems, at this point, it's just a glorified coupon that just let's them say people can sell their games, while effectively killing it from a practical pov. Who's trading in their games for a couple dollars? Not many.

have we still not yet come to a consensus regarding this?

it's obviously bad, no way around it - people who don't seem to think this is bad should be convinced by now....

right?

are we going to reject this console?

No. You will find many that are actively making purchase plans. It is a fight that may have been lost before it ever began. Brand loyalty and affection for certain series is to blame.

This is just the classic old flawed argument:

5$ off used games are, at a ratio exceeding 90%, a lost sale. Why? If you pick a used copy for 5$ off instead of paying full price, you were most likely willing to pay full price. Willingness to pay full price is what constitutes lost sales. It's a lost sale for the publisher/developer, not for the store, obviously (who make bank off it).

This is missing a huge part of the equation. Where did GameStop *get* that disc to resell in the first place? It didn't magically appear. They didn't counterfeit it. It's a new game that was sold to someone at full price. And that consumer -- especially given how quickly they traded the game in -- is not stupid. They're factoring in the game's resale value when they purchase a new game in the first place. It's not necessarily a "lost sale" in the aggregate, which is what we are talking about, because some percentage of that cash was only spent in the first place because it was being spent on a durable good with significant resale value.

And then, of course, there's a good chance that guy got the money to buy your new game in the first place because he traded in his old games.

The point is that this is a complex situation, and that this idea that there is a 1:1 relationship, that a used game bought is a "lost sale," is fallacious. I'm not saying for sure that it's a net negative or a net positive once all the dust has settled, I'm saying it is not knowable and that Microsoft and publishers are messing with something that nobody truly understands because we've never had an A-B test.

I hadn't thought of this before, strangely, but MS/Sony also lose when used game sales are made, because they get a cut of everything (through licences/etc). So it's only "normal" that MS is trying to make money off used sales, mostly because they are also losing money.

Again: Not necessarily. It is entirely plausible that the existence of a robust used market could be an overall boost to the fortunes of the game platform, since cheaper games mean a lower barrier to entry, which means more customers, which means more revenue for Microsoft from consoles, accessories, Xbox Live subscriptions, etc.

So again: Extremely complex system, impossible to unravel with any certainty. I don't think Microsoft is concerned that they're losing money off used games sales, I think they have a broader vision that involves bringing all game ownership permissions into "the cloud," which necessarily means moving the notion of "possession" from the disc to the account.

Used games are not the target, they're an innocent bystander.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i asked this in another thread, but if we're reducing console games to PC-style fire-and-forget steam codes in a box, who the hell is going to pay full price if there's another option? gamestop et al will just turn in to legitimised versions of those eastern european CD key re-seller sites.

TimeKillr

How about with any form of physical media, music, books, movies the list goes go. Games didn't always cost this much, the industry went in this direction. If 3rd parties developed for the wii and it turned into a ps2 situation, game development costs wouldn't be as high. Publishers made bets and now we're paying for them.

I already addressed other forms of physical media - music has alternate revenue streams (concerts, radio play, etc). Books are very different, same with movies.

Games didn't always used to have such huge budgets, but then again the cost to consumer of individual games was MUCH higher. Hell, SF2, in the early 90s, sold for something like 90$ to consumers. Translated with inflation to today, that's around 150$. You see where I'm going with this? It's not only that publishers made bets, it's that game production costs have gone WAY up and game prices have not adjusted as much throughout the years.

So your conclusion is that gamestop and other channels fuck up microsoft and the publisher?
Dont you think microsoft have lawyers to create a contract with this clause:

Gamestop can only sell xbox games if they agree to dont sell new released games in the first 6 months.

If gamestop sell used games in this period, they should pay a fee of 10 dollars per game sold.

Dont be naive. Mictosft is killing the consumer. Most used games are not sold by gamestop. They are sold by the consumer in ebay, amazon shop etc.

If a developer create a gane with 30 million dollars and cant create profit because of used games, it means the CEO must be fired. Used games has existed since 1980. Developers arent closing doors because of used games. Its because they dont have good ideas and waste lots of money making good
Graphics and big advertisement.

This has always happened since the NES dayd.

My conclusion is that yes, Gamestop does fuck up publishers and MS. It's quite simple, and you can't just say "Well they can have lawyers do this or that" because they sell them product. It's still first sale doctrine, more or less - Gamestop buys them from whoever sells them new, has sell-through warranties and such, but that's it. It's not like MS can come in and tell them how to run their business. All they can do is make it harder for them to screw them up.

Most used games are actually sold by Gamestop and other retailers. They are incredibly HUGE. I get you live in Brazil and in South America you mostly do user to user sales, but it's an anomaly more than anything.

I still think Microsoft is fucking consumers with this measure as it's going MUCH too far (that much you must not have read from my post!)

And whose fault is it that games don't have alternate revenue streams?

As others have stated, there are alternate revenue streams specifically targeted at used games (online passes, DLC, day 1 DLC, etc). The problem is those revenue streams are minimal (verrrry minimal) so they don't make enough to cover for what they lose.

I think retailers hold all the cards here. Microsoft need them, they don't need Microsoft.

If Gamespot refused to stock Xbox products they could still fill a shop twice over with stuff from their competitors.

I just don't see what's in it for the retailer at this point. Microsoft are asking them to put their head in the noose and they're doing it with a big smile on their face.

I think Microsoft is actually trying to get away from the retail model and having everyone buy games online on their store, instead. If they manage to make the average joe think "well the disc is useless!" then they'll only buy online. Then who wins? Nobody but MS.

Gamespot will always stock MS products simply because they make money off them. They might not do used games, though, because it'll be a waste of time and money. You'll still need people to process a lot more data from used games and they won't be able to sell them for cheap, so they'll have to pay less to customers and charge more (which is ridiculous). I think it'll be the death of their industry.

ReaperXL7

I never said they would. I said it was optional and you could bet EA didn't drop Online Passes unless they planned to exploit that option. Then he said how could they possible do it without 24 hour phone home. And I explained how. Then he said if it was that easy, why didn't MS just go this route. Then I explained why Mattrick didn't mind being the heavy. Then he went another direction and I wised up and just realized he hated the idea and that's why the argument was happening. I don't like the idea, but it's going to be a massive upset if EA games aren't locked down on PS4 either.

I see, I agree that EA is likely to push for it on their own games. I think thats a given with them as they have always been one of the more heavy handed publishers in reguards to DRM issues. There just seems to be a sentiment that Sony is just going to fall in line to western publishers despite the fact that Sony is the one to beat in the countries where these issues would hurt them the most. Japan is currently "almost" a lock for them on a home console front, despite Japans increasing focus on mobile, I just dont see them following through with a policy that woukd likely cripple them there.

You're probably right that the importance of the JP used market means they won't dictate a single draconian policy worldwide, but they could well require it (or at least, require it for more titles) in the US and not Japan.

I could be mistaken, but I think splitting something like this up between regions would be a difficult thing to do. I would also think it would require region locking which would be a first for Sony. Anything is possible, especially until we get full details from them directly on their stance, but I think the most likely scenario is they keep thr same policy as the PS3. So with EA games, Ubi, and some others you will have DRM.

However games from the likes of Sony, Nis, Atlus, CDPR, Konami,etc will either have online passes, or no DRM.Also interesting to note is that to my knowledge Activision has never joined in on the Online Pass system, but I rarely buy their games so im not sure, just what I have been told.

Tobor

This is missing a huge part of the equation. Where did GameStop *get* that disc to resell in the first place? It didn't magically appear. They didn't counterfeit it. It's a new game that was sold to someone at full price. And that consumer -- especially given how quickly they traded the game in -- is not stupid. They're factoring in the game's resale value when they purchase a new game in the first place. It's not necessarily a "lost sale" in the aggregate, which is what we are talking about, because some percentage of that cash was only spent in the first place because it was being spent on a durable good with significant resale value.

And then, of course, there's a good chance that guy got the money to buy your new game in the first place because he traded in his old games.

The point is that this is a complex situation, and that this idea that there is a 1:1 relationship, that a used game bought is a "lost sale," is fallacious. I'm not saying for sure that it's a net negative or a net positive once all the dust has settled, I'm saying it is not knowable and that Microsoft and publishers are messing with something that nobody truly understands because we've never had an A-B test.

Again: Not necessarily. It is entirely plausible that the existence of a robust used market could be an overall boost to the fortunes of the game platform, since cheaper games mean a lower barrier to entry, which means more customers, which means more revenue for Microsoft from consoles, accessories, Xbox Live subscriptions, etc.

So again: Extremely complex system, impossible to unravel with any certainty. I don't think Microsoft is concerned that they're losing money off used games sales, I think they have a broader vision that involves bringing all game ownership permissions into "the cloud," which necessarily means moving the notion of "possession" from the disc to the account.

What, pray tell, is the actual target?

rockx4

This sounds really horrible, I wonder how much we get for selling our used games when MS\publishers\retailers have to do a 3 way split. Does this mean MS will set a MSRP for used games also?

The most recent (new) game I've sold was Tales of Graces f on PS3 about 3 weeks after I purchased it, and I was able to get like $50 for it. I can't imagine we'd get much selling to MS authorized retailers. This is a fucken joke.

ttech10

This would make used games pointless...

No way Sony doesn't follow through with this. There simply can't be a game price discrepancy between platforms.

If rumors are true and used game sales start at $50, what do you think those games sold as new would cost? Nothing under $50 that's for sure.

I think Sony and gamers would be fine paying $60 for a new game instead of the $50-$59 if it means they can buy used games at under $50.

I just don't see Sony doing this (remember they said they didn't have a console enabled DRM feature and they aren't requiring online at all).

Socky

I'll tell you why.
1) they would have to stop selling 360 products. That loss of revenue would be staggering.
2) Microsoft pays them marketing dollars which would be lost.

Plus they would be cutting the future of their business in half. Retailers will have to take it, I don't see how they have a choice.

Since you can barely sell your games anymore, it's better to go full digital, for the people who wants a Xbone.

Download sizes of new gen games are likely to be large, so there may still be a use for discs.

It's been discussed. Apparently GS only gets 10 percent of the cut. So it seems the player and Gamestop are both getting the shaft. It seems, at this point, it's just a glorified coupon that just let's them say people can sell their games, while effectively killing it from a practical pov. Who's trading in their games for a couple dollars? Not many.

The 10% retailer cut has been withdrawn by EG:

The same report [did not say a shop's cut from that second-hand sale could be as low as 10 per cent -Bertie] said shops could be forced to sell second-hand games at a maximum discount of 10 per cent.

So if I'm understanding this right, Microsoft / EA / Activision have decided to shift buying power of consumers into profit power of corporations? And they think this will help the industry?

Hahahahahahahahahaha.....

So I can't sell games on amazon or ebay like I'm used to. Yeah, that sounds real great.

Unless......Amazon or eBay came up with a way for them to administer the de-activiation.

But honestly, the way the pricing model is structured, no there's no way you would even want to.

How are they going to verify you own the game before they remove it from your account?

Do you login to the store? Do you just give them your GamerTag? Do you pre-register for trade-in at home?

This puts control of pricing in the hands of publishers instead of retailers adjusting in response to an over/underabundance of games. Say goodbye to bargain bin games that have long been out of print if the publisher is still pushing a $29.99 msrp.

This will heavily damage the used game market for XBO, and it will make it so that consoles will always be priced out of the poorest markets, no matter how long they wait to jump in.

PS2 offered a treasure trove of games for poor kids to buy for a couple of bucks in 2008-2012. I worked at a GameStop near a very poor neighborhood from 2008-2010, and cheapass PS2 games were all the kids coming in could afford.

Vamphuntr

Yeah, I mean what happens if your game gets stolen and someone trade it in? It means you not only lose your disc copy but your rights to play the game also.

This would make used games pointless...

No way Sony doesn't follow through with this. There simply can't be a game price discrepancy between platforms.

Yes there can be. Xbox is always online and PS4 ain't. The biggest reaosn (imo) that Sony will not do this is because used games is a massive thing in Japan and this will hurt them there.

I never wanted to get the new xbone, and with all the shit thats going on ... hum well no thanks.

I am going 3DS, Wii U, and either PS4/PC/steambox to replace my PS3.

If PS4 goes this way also, the decision will be very easy.

You know what? If Sony doesn't do this, I'm buying a PS4 at launch. Not being salty, just pragmatic. I'm moving more towards Steam but I do like the console experience.

- More $.
- Makes piracy more difficult.
- Control over and metrics of every single game sold/re-sold.

Hero

Great post and addresses a lot of the issues with used games that not many are seeing, especially publishers.

Although used games aren't the target, I think it's safe to say Microsoft is using that angle to convince publishers to get on board so they can expand the Xbox Live ecosystem with their Cloud service. Microsoft wins since everything is in their walled off little garden and they win again because they make publishers happy that they'll get a cut out of used games sales for a change. Consumers lose.

Top Bottom