• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf comes out in a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
DmrV_ZfVIW8LR86Wu8Z1RVZ_EgraSMqlnjKmf-teXTE=w422-h226-p-no

Pants-Free Day, everyday.

Philia

Alright, here's the new set of images of the master list for you guys to keep track of everyone's FC. As I said before, anyone in white/yellow/peach are either unconfirmed or haven't told me their GMT or time travel preferences. Time Travel is a cheat method to speed up the game, its not recommended since it kills the interest in the game fast but there's few that practice this. So be aware.

If you want to be added to this list, you can pm me personally or list yourself in this thread and I'll try my best to spot it. Thanks.

OH also, you can use this method to find out who you have on your list for sure.

NnzQHon.png

qKzyWDI.png

mlCzY35.png

Jq4sHH3.png

gKHqy1Z.png

zigg

ME TOO. <333333333 I'm so hyped. AND SO TIRED.
It's all that spreadsheetin' you've been doing!

Okay, so. I've been operating under the assumption that I could back up my New Leaf town on a semi-regular basis, say weekly or something, by pulling out my SD and copying it to my computer, right?

This thread here seems to suggest that won't work.

http://www.animalcrossingcommunity.com/Topic/5752824/1/Backing_up_digital_ver_

The gist appears to be that when you save, a serial number (may not be an actual serial number, but a digital signature, which also makes more sense because it could protect the save contents as well) is incremented on both your 3DS and your SD card. So I save the first time, and both my 3DS and SD read 1. I save again, they both read 2.

Now I back up my SD. 3DS, backup, and SD all read 2. I save again. 3DS and SD read 3, backup reads 2. Apparently if I were to restore the SD from backup at this point, I would not be allowed to use the save, because the 3DS would expect 3 and the SD would read 2.

So this bugs the hell out of me. I was figuring I could maybe use this as a fallback in case I ran into trouble from online visitors, be it intentional or accidental. But, in order to protect the integrity of the save system, Nintendo seems to have blocked the ability to ever roll back a save. I can understand why&#8212;if it's a signature, it protects against save hacking as well&#8212;but ugh. I feel like my risk went up.

I TAKE THIS GAME WAY TOO SERIOUSLY

zigg

Just chill. Take a breath. Que sera sera. And don't let in blacklisted people.
It'd still be a disaster if I was the first person to find out that someone was worthy of the black mark.

If they destroyed a few flowers, sure, I could move on. If it's worse than that, eeesh.

What exactly can other players do to your town then? The level of worry from some people makes it sound like rape and pillage.
Wild World eventually got pretty grotesquely hacked to the point some people could effectively destroy an entire save. (I'm not sure about this notion that a game card could become useless, but I could believe it. Though I think I could restore a "useless" one myself.)

Beyond hacking (which is honestly my primary worry), working a lot on flowers and such outdoors means that sprinters can destroy your flowers, chop down your trees, etc. which can take substantial time to recover from. I can live with that, though obviously I'd rather not have to. But if someone rendered my entire town unrecoverable somehow, that'd be easily destroying hundreds of hours of work. I'd not want to go back.

Philia

It'd still be a disaster if I was the first person to find out that someone was worthy of the black mark.

If they destroyed a few flowers, sure, I could move on. If it's worse than that, eeesh.

I'd think its easy in the beginning because there's not whole lot invested at the start. So just be sure to invite anyone to your town to "test" their behavior. :3

Robin64

New players to my town will be followed around and if there's any sign of trouble I'll turn the wireless on my 3DS off right there and then.

Trusted players will be free to do as they please!

Philia

What exactly can other players do to your town then? The level of worry from some people makes it sound like rape and pillage.

OH its quite simple. Let me show you this thing, which make gardening serious god damn business.

http://www.animalxing.com/hybrids.php

Running over flowers will make them wilt faster, that is if you don't bother to steal them either.

You shake trees and steal their money source.

You can dig in their one a day group of chicken scratches and steal their fossils/gyroids.

You can chop down their trees.

You can shoot down the balloons that carried presents and steal that.

Someone said you can also steal their custom texture tiles too.

There's way more to this but that's just in Wild World. :\

zigg

Anyway, okay, taking a deep breath, coming down off the ledge. Slowly. ;)

(yeah, I'm a bit of an anxious fella)

I do wonder if the physical release has the same sort of save protection&#8230;

You can dig in their one a day group of chicken scratches and steal their fossils/gyroids.

You can shoot down the balloons that carried presents.
These aren't big deals. They're impolite, but don't represent an unrecoverable or difficult-to-recover-from loss.

Running over flowers will make them wilt faster.

These are bigger deals.

Philia

I do wonder if the physical release has the same sort of save protection&#8230;

Yeah, sorry I don't want to post to aggravate your worry, but we got a lot of newbies that aren't fully aware of their actions. So information will help a ton to get the visiting propers down.

I'll be Time Traveling, not much but a bit to advance the game a bit at the start of the game.

Also 10+ GMT.

Thank you, you're now in purple.

trinest

Alright, here's the new set of images of the master list for you guys to keep track of everyone's FC. As I said before, anyone in white/yellow/peach are either unconfirmed or haven't told me their GMT or time travel preferences. Time Travel is a cheat method to speed up the game, its not recommended since it kills the interest in the game fast but there's few that practice this. So be aware.

If you want to be added to this list, you can pm me personally or list yourself in this thread and I'll try my best to spot it. Thanks.

OH also, you can use this method to find out who you have on your list for sure.

[IMG*]http://i.imgur.com/NnzQHon.png[/IMG]
[IMG*]http://i.imgur.com/qKzyWDI.png[/IMG]
[IMG*]http://i.imgur.com/mlCzY35.png[/IMG]
[IMG*]http://i.imgur.com/Jq4sHH3.png[/IMG]
[IMG*]http://i.imgur.com/gKHqy1Z.png[/IMG]

I'll be Time Traveling, not much but a bit to advance the game a bit at the start of the game.

Also 10+ GMT.

New players to my town will be followed around and if there's any sign of trouble I'll turn the wireless on my 3DS off right there and then.

Follow them around then ninja slap the wireless slider if they do wrong.

zigg

Yeah, sorry I don't want to post to aggravate your worry, but we got a lot of newbies that aren't fully aware of their actions. So information will help a ton to get the visiting propers down.
I do plan to immediately craft a giant WARNING line at the gate that says "NO RUNNING" in giant letters. ;)

True, but some will wait for a while smash up the towns possibly. Griefers, gotta love 'em. Not.

I do wonder if the physical release has the same sort of save protection…

These aren't big deals. They're impolite, but don't represent an unrecoverable or difficult-to-recover-from loss.

These are bigger deals.
Sorry if random but I just added you 3 :)

Onikaan

I do wonder if the physical release has the same sort of save protection…

These are bigger deals.

I recommend not letting people you don't know out of your sight, for their first view visits.

If they start any tom foolery just power-off and notify Philia. Ofcourse they may have no idea what they've done in ignorance (accidentally running over flowers), so I wouldn't jump down their throat immediately, but people should really know before they go.

Wild World eventually got pretty grotesquely hacked to the point some people could effectively destroy an entire save. (I'm not sure about this notion that a game card could become useless, but I could believe it. Though I think I could restore a "useless" one myself.)

Beyond hacking (which is honestly my primary worry), working a lot on flowers and such outdoors means that sprinters can destroy your flowers, chop down your trees, etc. which can take substantial time to recover from. I can live with that, though obviously I'd rather not have to. But if someone rendered my entire town unrecoverable somehow, that'd be easily destroying hundreds of hours of work. I'd not want to go back.

OH its quite simple. Let me show you this thing, which make gardening serious god damn business.

http://www.animalxing.com/hybrids.php

Running over flowers will make them wilt faster, that is if you don't bother to steal them either.

You can shoot down the balloons that carried presents and steal that.

Someone said you can also steal their custom texture tiles too.

There's way more to this but that's just in Wild World. :\

Oh snap. Well, I guess I'm about to find out which of my 3DS friends are dicks. I had no idea this game was such a "thing"(for lack of a better term) before this thread. It's kinda cool actually.

Another try? What happened the first time?

I played it for like, an hour.
It was a while back, when I was mostly caught up on RPGs and such. It just didn't click, I guess.

Now, I'm up to play anything, and I like how the style of the game. So... I wanna try the DS one, instead of going into the 3DS one without any knowledge!

(I'm also doing it to know the do's and don'ts of the game so I don't do anything stupid while visiting other towns. -_-)

It was a while back, when I was mostly caught up on RPGs and such. It just didn't click, I guess.

Now, I'm up to play anything, and I like how the style of the game. So... I wanna try the DS one, instead of going into the 3DS one without any knowledge!

(I'm also doing it to know the do's and don'ts of the game so I don't do anything stupid while visiting other towns. -_-)

Good luck ^_^ I think you'll love it. Its so charming and if you like games that give you a lot of freedom you should love this.

Anyways, I'm constantly debating physical or digital. I want to have the game on me at all times due to the nature of how time works in the game but I also want to have it physically due to my collectors habits and the fact that physical is much more permanent when talking about, say, 20 years down the road. Gosh. This is tearing me apart.

zigg

zigg, I imagine you'd be more of a visitor than a host I imagine. :)
Well, I always kinda liked having free stuff caches at the gate, like duplicate fossils and extra flowers and the like. So I dunno.

Anyone wanting to visit my town will have to sign a fourteen page document with lawyers present.
I need an advance copy of this so my lawyer can review it.

Onikaan

Don't get sucked in and burn yourself out for NL :]

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
One of the public works is a fence right? Going to be investing in those so I can protect my flowers. No excuse of accidentally running into my flower beds if they are surrounded on three sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom