• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/19 - 3/25

What's with the lack of PS3 games? I know that PS3 is tanking, but why aren't more games coming out? At least in the US, there's a semi steady stream of games coming out. Anyone know what's going on?

Finn

Kobun Heat said:
Anybody else remember that great thread where those people were coming out of the woodwork to say that NSMB would barely break half a million, maybe, because the Mario series was dead?
Ooh, got a link to that? Nothing I love more than watching people eat crow.

mj1108

nextgeneration said:
What's with the lack of PS3 games? I know that PS3 is tanking, but why aren't more games coming out? At least in the US, there's a semi steady stream of games coming out. Anyone know what's going on?

Japan doesn't care about consoles anymore.

Kobun Heat said:
Anybody else remember that great thread where those people were coming out of the woodwork to say that NSMB would barely break half a million, maybe, because the Mario series was dead?

Someone find that thread. Much crow to be served.

junkwaffle

In Front and Drawing Away
mediacreategafsm.jpg

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Wow Yoshi has some serious legs to it, MHP2 refuses to die, and how the hell is NSMB still selling, any chance that this might actually be the best selling Mario ever in Japan eventually? Brilliant to see Prof.Layton doing so well, hint, translate it Level 5/Ninty, and make sure it gets to the Uk too :)

Anyway, based on Wii Sports sales, Wii selling 60-65k, not bad on the run up to Golden week.

Hey, take a look at this from the pre-NSMB thread:

Campster said:
Dammit. Until DS games stop selling like hotcakes I'm never going to be able to use my industry sales chart image macro. :/[

It looks like Campster will never get his chance :lol :lol :lol

Eteric Rice

When you think about it, it's pretty damned amazing how Nintendo went from bottom of the food chain, to something to be feared.

Didn't they go from being worth like 12 billion to 40 billion in just a few years? Pretty damned crazy.

Jirotrom

PhoenixDark said:
The Pokemon series is on a steep decline. Diamond/Pearl will sell two million overall, which will be ok. If it does anything, it will further suffocate third party sales, causing the PSP to gain more support.

Monster Hunter is the only real portable franchise in Japan. Capcom must be pleased; there are already rumors of a PSP version of RE5 floating around.
:lol

Brak

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
Uh... PhoenixDark was channeling the spirit of Monorojo for comic effect. It fooled a lot of people in the original thread as well.
That thread makes it abundantly clear why Mono impersonations were banned.

Kohler!?!! Not you too.... /shakeshead

DeaconKnowledge said:
Rayman and Red Steel are the number 1 and 2 ranked third party games in the US respectively,.

Yes . . . they are . . . and even the #1&2 third-party titles have lame sales. That's the point!

DeaconKnowledge said:
behind Zelda and Wii Play's first party efforts.

and behind 1st party warioware

argon

Eteric Rice said:
When you think about it, it's pretty damned amazing how Nintendo went from bottom of the food chain, to something to be feared.

Didn't they go from being worth like 12 billion to 40 billion in just a few years? Pretty damned crazy.

It's an impressive leap from the languishing latter days of Yamauchi. The changing of the guard really made a difference.

In a related note, Satoru Iwata just made it into Barron's 30-member list of the world's best CEOs.

http://online.barrons.com/public/article/SB117469289796447454-bxzjmQz9aJEYAf5m4qqLiWTU3Cc_20070425.html

iwatake9.jpg

Jammy said:
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or are just plain dumb.

Both Red Steel and Rayman: RR sold well in both the U.S. and Europe. In fact, both have sold over 300,000 in just the U.S. alone, which is more than any third party PS3 game in the territory has done. Even Madden for Wii has sold the same amount as its PS3 version, which is pretty much the only game PS3 owners are buying besides Resistance.

To make an even more direct comparison, Sonic and the Secret Rings sold more than 80,000 in a little over a week, while Virtua Fighter 5 barely sold over 50,000 (which is also around what Sonic PS3 has sold in two months on the market).

So let me get this straight . . . you are trying to convince me the sales are great by telling me these titles are selling better than PS3 titles? :lol :lol

Do you have numbers for the 300K figure? I guess that is respectable . . . but not exactly blockbuster numbers considering that the the Wii is supposed to be the super selling box. I guess it is still supply constrained.

And why is it so unreasonably of me to hope to see some North-American or European titles on the Japanese charts? You just told me how great these titles sell in the USA and Europe . . . why is it so unreasonable to except some sales in Japan?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
speculawyer said:
So let me get this straight . . . you are trying to convince me the sales are great by telling me these titles are selling better than PS3 titles? :lol :lol

Do you have numbers for the 300K figure? I guess that is respectable . . . but not exactly blockbuster numbers considering that the the Wii is supposed to be the super selling box. I guess it is still supply constrained.

And why is it so unreasonably of me to hope to see some North-American or European titles on the Japanese charts? You just told me how great these titles sell in the USA and Europe . . . why is it so unreasonable to except some sales in Japan?

since when rayman and redsteel are blockbusters like resi,ff,mgs and co ?

Brak

speculawyer said:
This is hardly a Nintendo specific complaint. Western games do not sell very well in Japan for whatever reason. The Japanese are especially averse to FPS, so Red Steel didn't have a chance. Rayman probably doesn't appeal to them aesthetically or humorously, which is basically the main reason to get the game.

It is somewhat disappointing that good games aren't getting played in Japan just because they weren't made there, but I also feel that companies aren't putting in a whole lot of effort either. What kind of a presence does Ubisoft actually have in Japan? I don't know, but I would bet that it's not comparable to most Japanese companies' NA and European affiliates.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
cw_sasuke said:
since when rayman and redsteel are blockbusters like resi,ff,mgs and co ?
Rule 1 of neogaf threads: don't let facts get in the way of a good troll.

legend166

There's a guy on the IGN Wii Board who ends every post telling people to buy Nintendo stock. It's dumb and annoying, but he started doing it like 2 years ago. If we all listened to him, we'd be filthy rich :[

Anyway, it really is ridiculous how much Nintendo owns Japan.

moku said:
WOW.

I looked, and thought, "why bother? It's stuck at #3 all-time for awhile;

DONEMARIOCHART.jpg

Boy was I wrong. Mario is now only behind the original SMB;

mariomovedup.jpg

ALL HAIL THE KING BABY.
Isn't Super mario 64 DS also at one million?

Jokeropia

This is the highest sales of Wii Sports and Wii Play since the week of February 19 - 25 when 78k Wiis were sold (along with 47k Wii Sports and 36k Wii Play), so Sinobi's Famitsu numbers for this week should match the Media Create numbers pretty well.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Jokeropia said:
This is the highest sales of Wii Sports and Wii Play since the week of February 19 - 25 when 78k Wiis were sold (along with 47k Wii Sports and 36k Wii Play), so Sinobi's Famitsu numbers for this week should match the Media Create numbers pretty well.

Thats just crazy, around 78k sold (Near 80 according to Famitsu) 3 weeks before Golden Week, and without any new titles to push it higher, Super Paper Mario & that non game is going to cause riots or something in that case, cause demand is going to sky-rocket.

Also looking at the PS3 release schedule in Japan, oh my word, if Wii has had a blip in games, soon to be corrected, then PS3 is going to go through a severe game shortage, I think it's now totally safe to call Japan 2007 to Wii, easily, possibly up to 2 million units ahead by end of June, no way back from there.

Eteric Rice said:

It is freaking amazing.

PS: I'm reading that Blue Ocean Strategy book...holy hell...it makes perfect sense on why Nintendo is doing what it is...freaking scary. We're probably just seeing the tip of the iceburg o_O

I am a bit confused. New Super Mario Bros. has really sold 4.3 million in Japan?

PS: I'm reading that Blue Ocean Strategy book...holy hell...it makes perfect sense on why Nintendo is doing what it is...freaking scary. We're probably just seeing the tip of the iceburg o_O

Which book is this?

KINGMOKU

speculawyer said:

I expected some sort of "stupid argument poster" this week, but I never expected it to be you spec.

You really, really sound out of touch with reality, and appear not to have an understanding of what your talking about.

My guess would be is that your trying to fuel a discussion in this thread, but pick a different angle, as that one is played out, disproven, and the game examples your using are beyond ignorant.

Better third-party games, will sell better on the Wii. If your suggesting otherwise, you dont know what the hell your talking about. You want to see miserable, go check out Sonys third-party sales for the PS3.

haircut said:
These numbers have gotten so predictable we're writing fanfic to spice things up.

That we are, my friend. That we are.

*~*

All was silent in the room. The curtain were tightly drawn, giving little indication of the status of the outside world - and hiding the apartment from the view of outsiders.

Empty pizza boxes and beer bottles lay carelessly strewn about - along with the occasional sock draped across the chairs and tables. Posters of video game characters lined the walls, serving as a nice way to cover up the peeling paint. On the patched couch, the lone occupant of the room snored, deep in peaceful slumber.

Abruptly, the snoring stopped. The eyelids of the occupant twitched, opening and revealing a dull, weary gaze to the world. With a sigh, he pulled himself into a sitting position, rubbing sleep from his eyes.

"The numbers are up."

When he thought about it, it was actually pretty scary that his senses had been honed to the point where he could tell the instant the latest numbers appeared. Then again, it wasn't as if he had a whole lot of other things to ponder about.

She left me. I can't believe she did that. The pain had been numbed - time had a way of doing that - but thoughts of her were still raw enough that he preferred to keep his mind safely off the concept of relationships - for now, anyway.

Sighing, he fumbled for the power button on his PC. By the time he'd managed to reach NeoGAF, the latest thread should have gone up.

"Why do I even do it, anyway?" He mumbled to no one in particular. "Week in, week out. Just the same damn thing over and over again. Nintendo wins everything, and Sony picks up the dregs."

Quickly, he opened the site, quickly glancing through the threads. He sighed softly as he spotted a thread about Mario and Sonic teaming up for some sports game or other. Seconds later, he scrolled past the thread that claimed a new NiGHTS game was in the works. For the Wii, no doubt.

"Stupid plumber gets all the good news these days." He growled under his breath as he continued scrolling. It was a tough time to be a Sony fan, really. It really seemed as if the internet as a collective whole had turned their guns on the creator of the Playstation brand. The few scraps of good news that made it through were immediately pounced on by people seeking to discredit anything and everything about Sony. If Sony announced tomorrow that it was slashing the prices by USD 100 across the board, they'd figure some way to show that these news was evidence of Sony's evil, money grubbing ways.

"Where's that stupid thread..." He mumbled to himself. He'd adjusted for Daylight Savings Time - the thread was supposed to be up by now...

"Ah, there." Already had a few replies. With a sigh, he clicked on it, opening the thread.

*~*

John was a pretty generic name, but his parents had seen fit to give him that, and so that was that.

And now John was sighing as he went over the latest Media-Create thread. It wasn't that the layout of the thread was bad or depressing or nothing - no, ever since Cheesemeister had taken over production of the weekly MC threads, the layout had been nothing short of fantastic.

But the numbers...

"At least a PS2 game's on top this week." He sighed. But other than that and Monster Hunter 2 portable, crumbs of comfort were few.

"25 of the top 30 are Nintendo system games." John shook his head, always wondering how in the world Nintendo had turned themselves around so swiftly.

The best part was that, indeed, he owned all three systems. It wasn't that much of a stretch for a game-addict like him, and it wasn't as if he was (that) strapped for cash.

But a Sony fan was a Sony fan. He didn't know why it was like that. It was kinda like football, he figured. You support a team just 'cause. And now Sony was losing.

"Even the Nintards are getting bored with the day-in, day-out monotony." He sighed, and exited the thread. There were other updates to check out for now.

*~*

"1 game in April, no games in May, and 1 game in June." John repeated blankly as he stared at his computer screen. With a sigh, he ran a hand through his hair. "What on earth is Sony thinking?"

"Well, odds on the betting pool are leaning in favour of the 'They aren't' option." A feminine voice replied.

After jumping up from his chair, banging his knee on the underside of his desk, overbalancing himself and collapsing rather heavily on the floor, he managed to gaze up enough to look at the intruder, all while swearing rather heavily.

An ethereal woman, clothed entirely in a gown so white that it practically glowed, smiled at him from her position atop his couch, one perfectly curved leg draped over the other. Eyes the colour of sparkling sapphire gems twinkled with amusement as she cocked her head to the side, watching him.

"Sorry to have startled you." She chuckled serenely.

"Yeah, yeah, no biggie." John snapped as he hobbled back onto the chair, still massaging a sore kneecap. "Now tell me who you are."

"Why, John." She said softly, the smile never leaving her face. "I'm the spirit of your Wii."

Several minutes were spent in complete silence as the both of them simply stared at each other. Then John swivelled in his chair, grabbing an empty beer bottle that lay nearby.

"What do they put in this stuff?" He mumbled.

"Uhm, no. I can assure you my appearance before you today has nothing to do with your rather regular - and might I add unhealthy - consumption of alcohol."

John paused, then dropped the beer bottle. "So what you're saying is-"

CRASH!

"... Right. Probably should remind myself not to drop glass things onto the floor." John mumbled. He glanced back up. "So what you're saying is that you're the physical manifestation of one of my video games consoles."

"Absolutely right."

"... Somehow I believe it would be more comforting if this had everything to do with my amount of alcohol intake." He rubbed his forehead. "Alas, not even a hangover."

"Oh, hush." The woman chuckled. "You can hardly blame us. We just saw you looking so dejected and so we decided to come your aid."

John frowned. Wait a moment... "We?"

"Tha's a-right. We. Gang's all here, bud." The end of that statement was punctuated by what a rather fulsome belch. Furrowing a brow, John turned to see a man for 'heavyset' was a compliment settle himself down on his bed, a meaty sandwich in on hand.

John hesitated for a full minute before speaking up. "With my luck lately, you're probably my Playstation 3, aren't you?"

"No way, man." The fat... console avatar... spirit... thingy replied. "I'm your Core 360."

"I own a Core 360? When did that happen?"

"You remember that your cousin gave you one for your birthday?" Leaning in the doorway, a dark-haired man with emerald green eyes gazed intently at him. "You stuffed him into the closet. And before you ask, no, I am not your PS3. 360 Premium, my good man."

"It currently houses three spiders, and a pack of rodents are thinking of moving in." The Wii spirit informed his, a look of disgust on her face. "Can we change the subject?"

As one might expect, John was still rather shell-shocked by three complete strangers showing up in his apartment and claiming to be avatars of his video gaming devices. "Um..." He finally stammered. "Can I get you guys a drink?"

"Playing the gracious host, I see." The woman hesitated. "I think it would be best we told you our names first, though."

"Names...?" Rapidly becoming a bit too much for me to take in, here. "But, you're Wii... and they're 360s..."

"No, no, Wiis and 360s are more of a..." She frowned, snapping her fingers. "What's the word humans use?"

"Species?" Offered the premium.

"Right! Species!" She nodded enthusiastically, the smile reappearing on her face. "We have our own names, though. I'm Elsie Dee. Call me Elsie."

"Name's Tack." The Core 360 offered, never taking his eyes off the gadgets magazine he was perusing.

"Henry David, at your service." The Premium 360 shrugged. Then he frowned, plucking at his white shirt. "Stupid thing's too tight. Gonna have to find a new one soon."

John shifted his gaze to each of the three occupants. Something was odd.

Okay, something was odd aside from the fact that three of his consoles had apparently formed human apparitations of themselves and were currently in the act of loitering in his apartment.

"So... where's the PS3?" He asked, half-dreading the answer.

"Ssssso... he asssksss of me..." A hissing voice pierced the air.

John shifted his gaze to look at the corner of the room, where lurked a figure hunkered up. A thick, ragged black cloak covered most of the heap's features, but John could discern skeletal, spider-like limbs tangled up in the dark fabric.

Abruptly, a lump in the cloak jerked up, revealing it to be a hood, covering a grinning skull. In it's eye sockets glowed twin orbs of crimson light, burning with rage.

"I! I, who losssst everything, everything, everything!" He snarled, pulling himself into a standing position. John noted with unease that he stood a full head taller than even Henry.

The other consoles didn't seem the least bit perturbed, though. "Always with the melodrama, Bob?" Elsie rolled her eyes.

"That'ssss ROBERT to you!" The avatar of the PS3 snapped.

"Who gets named Bob Roberts, anyway?" Henry shrugged. "It's just stupid."

'Bob' growled angrily, and then turned to John. "I once had everything! I was the ssssstar of it all! No one, no one, no one expected anything lesssss than complete victory for me!" The dark figure bowed his head, grinding his teeth together. "Until that dark day!"

John nodded his understanding. "Until the price tag."

"Price! Price! Price!" Bob raged. "Accurssssed foolssss! Could they not ssssee? And now, now, now, I am hated, hated the world over! Through no fault of mine own!"

John winced. "H-hey, it's still kinda early. Maybe you have a chance to make a comeba-"

Bob's face was suddenly two inches away from his own. "Ssssstop. Talking." He snapped.

John found Bob's argument for silence strangely compelling.

"Are we just going to sit here all day, or are we going to do the whole dimension hopping thing?" Tack's cut in in a voice of complaint. "Day's not getting any younger."

"Dimension wha?" John sputtered.

"Oh, yes. Quite slipped my mind." Elsie clapped her hands together, turning back to face John. "Like I said earlier, we saw you rather unhappy about the sales figures, and thus we decided to help you out."

"... And how does this figure into me dimension hopping, again?"

"Well, say we could let you visit the dimension where the sales situation was the complete opposite of this-"

"I ssssuport thissss motion."

"Somehow, I saw that coming." Henry rolled his eyes.

"Quiet, both of you." Elsie turned back to John. "So what say you?"

"Uh... uh..." John stammered. "I have a job - I can't really -"

"Oh, please. Nothing a bit of time displacement wouldn't fix."

Bob turned his head so that his scarlet eyes stared directly at John. "Do you not wissssh to ssssee it? A world... in which Ssssony reignssss!"

John sighed. "Nothing bad's gonna happen, right?"

Elsie tugged at the helm of her skirt. "No. Of that I can assure you."

"Than let ussss be off. I am eager!" If it was possible for a skull to grin wider, then Bob managed it.

Henry rolled his eyes, raised a hand. "Here we go." He said.

And snapped his fingers.

POOF!

The last thing that passed through John's mind before the blinding light enveloped him was 'Poof? What kind of stupid teleporting sound effect is that?'

*~*

(May be continued... but don't count on it)

Fischbrot said:
No. 4,257,646
Haha, I read a thread in which JohnnyRam posted 3,997,997 or something, over and over in red and I knew that it had to do with this game a month or two back, but seeing that number and chart just demonstrates...DS is so ridiculous. It was the start of the New Generation and we all missed it until sales-age fixed its red eye of Sauron on Japanese sales.

Top Bottom