• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition = True 16:9 Widescreen & DPL-II

Haunted

beelzebozo said:
this game is going to be awesome.

...again.
God, thinking about Resident Evil 4 with Wiimote aiming... just awesome.

Frankly, with my SDTV I couldn't care less about 16:9 or any sound whatchamadoos. I will buy this game the day they release it in Europe.

Armitage

Dragona Akehi said:
Yeah it does. Famitsu already confirmed that. The only real question now is if it's using GC (or more hopefully GC+) assets or PS2 ones. Regardless of comparison shots Gaffers have made, I'm not convinced it's using the GC engine. I really wouldn't put it past Capcom to port the PS2 version...

They're certainly crazy enough to do something like that, but since the Wii can run GC code near-natively (correct me if I'm wrong here), it would just be stupid to not be based on the GC version.

Sagitario

From the fact sheet @ Capcom Press Site:

RE4 Wii Fact Sheet said:
• Acclaimed gameplay – RE4 is one of the highest rated PlayStation®2 games on GameRankings.com

I find that ironic... :lol
Why no mention the GC version? :p

Do we have a breakdown on the controls? Is fire on A or B?

Anyone worried Wiimote will make the game shit easy? How was the PC version in that regard?

Evlar

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
Do we have a breakdown on the controls? Is fire on A or B?

Anyone worried Wiimote will make the game shit easy? How was the PC version in that regard?

op_07.jpg

aeolist said:
D-pad: camera, reload
A: action button
B: cancel, attack when A is held down
+: Ashley's actions
-: "status screen" and "demo skip" (probably cutscene skip on that last one)
1: map (duh)
2: options
Waggle: "search knife", reload, knife attack
Stick: player movement
C: knife attack when A is held
Z: run, 180 degree turn

MoxManiac

Dragona Akehi said:
Yeah it does. Famitsu already confirmed that. The only real question now is if it's using GC (or more hopefully GC+) assets or PS2 ones. Regardless of comparison shots Gaffers have made, I'm not convinced it's using the GC engine. I really wouldn't put it past Capcom to port the PS2 version...

Why? It would be less work to use the GC version...

cvxfreak

Wait a second, someone pull up the interview or the first thread with information on the thread. I could have sworn someone in the development team actually said GC game with PS2 extras and waggle.

D-pad: camera, reload
A: action button
B: cancel, attack when A is held down
+: Ashley's actions
-: "status screen" and "demo skip" (probably cutscene skip on that last one)
1: map (duh)
2: options
Waggle: "search knife", reload, knife attack
Stick: player movement
C: knife attack when A is held
Z: run, 180 degree turn

So I have to press + every time I want Ashley to do shit? That's going to hurt. Even - would be better. They should have put that on D-pad down and had no button for reloading.

I'm going to have to hold A and C and waggle to swing the knife?!

Did anyone play this game with a mouse? Was it too easy?

cvxfreak

AdmiralViscen said:
So I have to press + every time I want Ashley to do shit? That's going to hurt. Even - would be better. They should have put that on D-pad down and had no button for reloading.

There have always been options in the RE games to swap buttons. RE4 Wii shouldn't be any different.

cvxfreak said:
There have always been options in the RE games to swap buttons. RE4 Wii shouldn't be any different.

A three-function knife swing as a default doesn't give me much hope for their presets. There hasn't been total customization, has there?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
MoxManiac said:
Any word on GCN or Classic controller support? Are we forced into the waggle?

I thought I remember someone saying in the initial magazine translation that there was classic controller support. Could be wrong though.

KINGMOKU

MoxManiac said:
No, go buy the GCN, or PS2 version.

There should be ZERO complaints about waggle, seeing as how you can play essentailly the same game on three different platforms.

cvxfreak

AdmiralViscen said:
A three-function knife swing as a default doesn't give me much hope for their presets. There hasn't been total customization, has there?

Only in the Dreamcast version of RE2. But, I expect your +/- button preference to be addressed, at the very least.

MoxManiac said:

The first thread on this game said that it would support the classic controller too. Not sure if GC will be supported although I don't see why not.

gconsole

Capcom took a year to fully ported RE4 from GC to PS2. Is it make sense to port whole PS2 version back to Wii (aka GC turbo) when they can put the main GC game to Wii in a day ? It's not like ADA mission is integrated to the main game or what. It's just a seperate mode, oh guys. Please think.

AdmiralViscen said:

I thought it was

hold A then press C for normal Knife attack

but hold A then Waggle for the upgraded knife attack

haha yes.. Totally missing the ps2/gamecube generation is really paying off. I'll get to play through RE4 for the first time using the (hopefully) best version for $30 :D

MoxManiac said:

There is Classic Controller support. Personally though, RE4 was made for Wii's pointer controls, so while the option is always welcome, if I get it, it's for the Waggling.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
soothsayer said:
haha yes.. Totally missing the ps2/gamecube generation is really paying off. I'll get to play through RE4 for the first time using the (hopefully) best version for $30 :D

Yup, me too. :D

MaddenNFL64

Pointer function folks. I guess you could get it, just to have the 'definitive' version, but really pointer use, is the main reason to get this.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Dragona Akehi said:
There is Classic Controller support. Personally though, RE4 was made for Wii's pointer controls, so while the option is always welcome, if I get it, it's for the Waggling.

I don't know... I'd pay $60 for a conversion along the lines of Ninja Gaiden: Black --> Ninja Gaiden: Sigma, old-fashioned controls or not.

Chris FOM

AdmiralViscen said:

What's wrong with + for toggling Ashley's actions between waiting and following? Holding the Wiimote in my hand sliding my thumb down to hit the + key is simple.

And for the knife, I don't read it as three three actions. If you swing the Wiimote, Leon will do an auto-targeted knife attack at anything in his vicinity. If you hold the A button, you can then aim with the Wiimote and tap the C button to do a targeted knife swing if you want to, say slash a Ganado in the face. At least that's how I interpreted it.

mugwhump

It would be cool if you could use tilt to determine the height of your knife swipes. I always hated taking the time to aim downwards to slash someone's legs. Also, I hope they increase the difficulty, because pointer aiming sounds like it would make things too easy.
quadriplegicjon said:
um.... shouldnt it be much easier to recode part of it.. than all of it?
Exactly. I never understood the logic in thinking it would use the PS2 engine. Capcom is indeed lazy, and I certainly think reverse porting another engine is not the easiest option. Such silliness.

Evlar

Banned
Chris FOM said:
What's wrong with + for toggling Ashley's actions between waiting and following? Holding the Wiimote in my hand sliding my thumb down to hit the + key is simple.

And for the knife, I don't read it as three three actions. If you swing the Wiimote, Leon will do an auto-targeted knife attack at anything in his vicinity. If you hold the A button, you can then aim with the Wiimote and tap the C button to do a targeted knife swing if you want to, say slash a Ganado in the face. At least that's how I interpreted it.
Yeah, that's my understanding.

cvxfreak

Okay guys, it's a GC port.

Raiden_Fan said:
Folks from the Biohazard 4 Wii interview-->

Producer Kawata Masachika, director Nakai Minoru.

-Give us the details, how did the Bio 4 Wii version come up?

Kawata: its seems that there is a good compatibility between the biohazard system & the Wii console.
As simple as it sounds

-I guess you have implemented various/diverse actions with Wii remote control, right?

Nakai: Actions that the player was performing by pushing buttons have changed--> now you shake the remote control, or waggle it to use a crank for instance.

-I see. This applies also for the knife & the auto search, right?

Kawata: Well you may say that we have "strengthened" the knife somehow. You can use the knife in two ways, shake the remote or push the putton. For the latter one (by shaking the remote) we have "strengthened" the knife.

- So you can say that it is a reward/compensation to the difficult controls?
Nakai: This time around, to be honest, we want the family also to have the ability to enjoy biohazard. So we don't want the frustrating difficulty to prevent the enjoyment, we've included an easy mode, th life bar does not reduce easily, the aiming system has become more friendly/easy.

- Is there auto-aiming?

Nakai: In the easy & amateur leves the gun laser goes far away

- Except the aiming system, has anything else changed?

Nakai: the controls have become more friendly. Also this might be GC port but the extras of the PS2 version are included.

- About the price, I guess that it is low-value version, right?
Kawata: Yes the idea is to enjoy the game to the outmost, to taste the horror and to make your heart throbbing fast.

- So the game captivates the players immediately?
Nakai: even for those who have played bio 4, they will get a new sensation/feeling when they'llget their hands on it.
Please look forward to it.

aeolist

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I have a feeling the boxart's going to be that bluish art we've been seeing for the game, and on the Japanese website.
So long as it's not the Zombie Dance Party we got for the Cube version

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Haunted One said:
Awesome, now we just need a European release date.
please?
Not to mention a friendly price. You just know it's gonna be at least £30 T_T

Still, might be worth it for the extra stuff (never played the PS2 version). If they've done the waggle right, this could be something quite cool indeed.

Top Bottom