• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FUSE Bombs in UK, #37 in charts in debut week

Not unexpected but shitty for Insomniac. Sent to die with no advertising & tons of negative feedback in the preview phase.

Maybe Pachter said "5000 in UK" not "5 MILLION COPIES"

So what is keeping them afloat? we saw other smaller independent studios dies after one failure and for this studio since Resistance 2 and they only have bombas after bombas but still going.(I think we can say the same thing about Ninja Theory)

If they've already signed a deal, especially with a certain first party, that'd answer your question.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Insomniac is obviously a B/single-A-tier developer that looks in the mirror and sees an AAA-tier developer. For their own sake, they'd better have more deals already lined up, because their future as an independent studio ain't looking too bright.
That's a bit harsh. They have a lot of talent but don't have proper guidance. The game's concept had failure written all over it but yet they continued to believe in it. I do agree that many publishers would hesitate to work with them after this. If Microsoft have offered them a deal, they should blindly grab it before another failure ruins their reputation. I kind of feel bad for the studio since there are a lot of good guys working there, but in this industry you don't really get a lot of chances as an independent studio and need to make the most of your opportunities.

So what is keeping them afloat? we saw other smaller independent studios dies after one failure and for this studio since Resistance 2 and they only have bombas after bombas but still going.(I think we can say the same thing about Ninja Theory)
Sony absorbed their previous failures, but they can't afford another game like Fuse.

Gad damn. Hearing Jeff Gerstmann compare it to Haze on the Bombcast and now this. I remember Insomniac being singled out as a great place to work some years ago by some survey or whatnot, wonder how badly this will affect them.

I think they came in the top 10 for best independent developer in the USA - quite a few years back - maybe four or five years I guess.

Hopefully they can recover from this; I think most of us saw this bombing a long while back. I doubt it's worth Insomniac running with it, although Ted Price seemed like he wanted to stick with it. Statistically though EA Partners games are always left to fend for themselves, with only a few exceptions.

But the press and the core, which participates in and watches e3 and has to carry the torch, does! I would have done it already.

I don't disagree but i'm not sure this will make much difference. The insomniac brand in general means pretty little at the moment IMO. I'm kind of surprised MS would go after them at all unless it's to revive one of their own franchises.

That's a bit harsh. They have a lot of talent but don't have proper guidance. The game's concept had failure written all over it but yet they continued to believe in it. I do agree that many publishers would hesitate to work with them after this. If Microsoft have offered them a deal, they should blindly grab it before another failure ruins their reputation. I kind of feel bad for the studio since there are a lot of good guys working there, but in this industry you don't really get a lot of chances as an independent studio and need to make the most of your opportunities.

Right, I'm not disputing that there are a lot of talented people there, but the studio as it is currently run and organized is clearly not capable of producing a bona fide AAA title independently.

They better go after that first party money otherwise they will b out of business in a few years. The bbb game is pretty much dead which leaves them in a horrible position. Actually Nintendo would be wise to consider a deal as they seem like a good match for eqch other and Nintendo needs Western developers

Elios83

It was obvious since the beginning, the game lacked personality, strong characters and anything to elevate it from the multitude of fps games already available on the market.
Insomniac really needs to refocus and understand where they want to go next. Please just stop making fps. You failed with R2 and R3, you're failing with Fuse. It's enough.
Maybe it would be better for them to work on something innovative for digital and mobile platforms (PSN,XBL,iOs,Android).

jmizzal

You went on a limb and said a launch game for a new system that was highly received and one of the few bright shining stars on the Wii U will outsell Fuse? Whoa.

Well you dont know the context of the conversation, but but the PS3 and 360 having well over 100 mil hardware units sold and WiiU having just over 4 mil isnt really going on a limb

DC1

It was obvious since the beginning, the game lacked personality, strong characters and anything to elevate it from the multitude of fps games already available on the market.
Insomniac really needs to refocus and understand where they want to go next. Please just stop making fps. You failed with R2 and R3, you're failing with Fuse. It's enough.
Maybe it would be better for them to work on something innovative for digital and mobile platforms (PSN,XBL,iOs,Android).
R2 didn't fail, it just didn't sell as well as Halo (and what console exclusive does?).
-My favorite FPS this gen.

R3 was a different game and vastly appreciated by all who played. The sells were unexpectedly low.

R2 didn't fail, it just didn't sell as well as Halo (and what console exclusive does?).

R3 was a different game and vastly appreciated by all who played. The sells were unexpectedly low.

To answer your question, Gran Turismo

You're right, the amount of R2 bashing is ridiculous. It was my 2nd PS3 game after Resistance 1 and I loved it. It had a great amount of action, the graphics and art style were great (an alien war in the 50's). The set pieces were nicely done. The criticism of R2 seems so unwarranted to me. Even the co-op was better than the competitive multiplayer.

Ted Price seems to have a hand in the best of Insomniac's games, Fuse doesn't look like Ted Price even touched it or advised it's creation..

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
R3 was great but I don't blame Sony for lowering the profile of that series after r2!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I still find it hilarious that a shitshow like Resistance 2 reviewed better than Fuse. Fuse is a damn fun game and well worth at least a rental or cheap purchase. It's especially good if you like coop games. Resistance 2 should be left in the rotten pits of FPS gaming hell with Turning Point, Shellshock 2, Rogue Warrior, Bodycount and Hour Of Victory.

Yasir

I still find it hilarious that a shitshow like Resistance 2 reviewed better than Fuse. Fuse is a damn fun game and well worth at least a rental or cheap purchase. It's especially good if you like coop games. Resistance 2 should be left in the rotten pits of FPS gaming hell with Turning Point, Shellshock 2, Rogue Warrior, Bodycount and Hour Of Victory.

Twas better than Haze though ;)

Kusagari

The funniest thing is how after the sites all realized Resistance 2 was being almost universally hated they all turned on it and called it trash.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen

Standards evolve over time. If Fuse had come out in 2008, when the market wasn't quite as ridiculously oversaturated with generic shooters, I'm sure it would have reviewed better than a Resistance 2 that came out in 2013.

wildfire

Banned
I bet Michael Pachter is, that ol' turkey.

5 million sales is certainly a bad guess but he said 5 million if the game reviews scored in the 80s.

This game has a metacritic score of 65.5 between the 2 consoles. With a score that low I'm sure he would say they would be lucky to sell a million.

spwolf

obviously their Playstation games were not bomba's, maybe did not sell 10 million, but made them money.

Opinions. I had a great time playing through the campaign in Resistance 2 (multiple times, even) and I thought it had a lot of character. It was a step back from the original in some ways but I still had a great time with it. Comparing R2 to the games you listed is crazy to me, but again, opinions.

5 million sales is certainly a bad guess but he said 5 million if the game reviews scored in the 80s.

This game has a metacritic score of 65.5 between the 2 consoles. With a score that low I'm sure he would say they would be lucky to sell a million.
Even if the metacritic score was 90+ I don't think the game would have sold more than 1 or 2 million copies.

Yasir

I would genuinely rather play Haze again than go near R2. But either option is like FPS torture :p

I nearly cried playing Haze; loved Goldeneye and Timesplitters. The game was hyped to crazy extents ("Halo killer" etc) but was so bad I couldn't even bare playing in co-op :,(

jmood88

Maybe despise them forever is TOO harsh, but it goes against them going multiplatform and the way Microsoft is going about the Xbox One with 24 hour DRM, etc. I have no interest in that console.

Sony doesn't shun new IPs from established developers and they don't seem to demand sequels (TLoU, Beyond,...). And Insomniac's main reason for splitting with Sony was to own the Fuse IP; Sony retains the IP for exclusive games and owns the rights to R&C and Resistance. It's not highly unlikely that Insomniac couldn't have developed a new IP under Sony but IG wouldn't have the rights to that game.

I have no idea why anyone gets upset about what console these companies make games for, especially when they're releasing games for both Sony and Microsoft.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Opinions. I had a great time playing through the campaign in Resistance 2 (multiple times, even) and I thought it had a lot of character. It was a step back from the original in some ways but I still had a great time with it. Comparing R2 to the games you listed is crazy to me, but again, opinions.

Well yeah of course. I guess it just completely surprises me that people enjoy something I really despise but yeah opinions. Saying that, I've enjoyed some ropey games in my time :p Probably why I don't really go by reviews from the press anymore, I'll just go by footage more these than anything else. (and I do enjoy reading opinions on GAF/other forums too)

wildfire

Banned
Even if the metacritic score was 90+ I don't think the game would have sold more than 1 or 2 million copies.

It is uncommon for 90+ games to sell that low.

Since this is Insomniac there would've been more "oh shit" hype for a 90+ metacritic game and people would only blame EA for terrible marketing if it underperformed in sales.

I have no idea why anyone gets upset about what console these companies make games for, especially when they're releasing games for both Sony and Microsoft.

It's more of the fact that by releasing the game exclusively on Xbox One cuts off their Playstation fanbase who have no interest in buying a $400 console with an internet requirement. I don't see why Playstation fans should take issue if IG's next game were PS4/XB1; IG is a private company and they need to be sustained as a business through game sales.

Bungie may have left Microsoft (and are cozying up with Sony) but "Destiny" can still be played on the 360 and the Xbox One. Imagine the firestorm that would have occurred if Destiny was exclusive to the PS4..

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

what? bomba after bomba since R2?

While it's still too early to say on Fuse, pretty much everything else we've released has been successful. Every Ratchet game has been (even if some people didn't care for us experimenting w/ the franchise in A41 / FFA).

While it's still too early to say on Fuse, pretty much everything else we've released has been successful. Every Ratchet game has been (even if some people didn't care for us experimenting w/ the franchise in A41 / FFA).
That's good to hear. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys are up to now. Should I get excited for E3? ;)

Drek

Experimentation wasn't the problem, shallow design was, especially for FFA that had a good concept but a near worthless single player game.

Neither game had the level of polish Insomniac traditionally put into the R&C franchise.

Orcs Must Die! is a better, more polished attempt at what R&C:FFA tried to do and its the first full game made by a 45 person studio. Insomniac's attempt at the genre with a well established IP should have raised the bar for the hybrid tower defense/3rd person shooter genre. Instead it fell short of a year old XBLA game.

I don't disagree but i'm not sure this will make much difference. The insomniac brand in general means pretty little at the moment IMO. I'm kind of surprised MS would go after them at all unless it's to revive one of their own franchises.
The Insomniac brand has worth to one sub-set of the industry, Playstation fans. But those people are Playstation fans first, Insomniac fans second. Just like Nintendo fans didn't follow Rare who had a far bigger lineup of hit games, Sony fans aren't following Insomniac into the 3rd party space.

If they do sign an exclusive deal with MS I don't think it will end well for them. The work they've done that really sets them apart (Spyro, R&C) doesn't sell to the core Xbox fanbase and they'll have very little name recognition or fan loyalty to help them with that. They'll head in the same direction as Rare but without the nine figure price tag to buy them a ton of slack. Instead they just won't have their contract renewed and will be in the same boat, maybe worse off if the games they put out are more Fuse/FFA/A4O level instead of Tools of Destruction/Crack in Time level.

Gadirok

I don't know why you are taking totobeni seriously, the most obvious troll on gaf.

I thought Resistance 3 and All 4 1 were great.

Even Resistance 2, which is frowned upon for being the worst thing ever has some great setpieces like the leviathan. People just like to dismiss it, and I'm pretty damn well sure half the people who **** on it didn't even bother to play everything the game had to offer. Even its highlights, which was the intense online/ couch co-op mode (even if it was filled with bullet sponges).

Dremark

Banned

I bought it for full price and felt ripped off.

highrider

Banned
Well a sales thread about Fuse is more active than the actual thread for the game, so that ain't good.

Edit : oh, two threads about sales for Fuse, both have more interest than the ot. Ouch.

Hopefully, due to this, Insomniac Games will go back to making interesting games like they used to. Making story driven single player games is what they are good at. This love for online focused games from them since All 4 One is making me cringe. I liked playing the Resistance games online, but what I also loved about those games was that they had a complete immersive single player experience. When it comes to Ratchet, I don't understand why they are so focused on making them online. Ratchet shines when it's a single player experience, but underwhelms as an online experience. They were doing so well with Ratchet too. A Crack in Time turned out to be the best Ratchet game I've played, and I long for another Ratchet game that is similar to it. I really hope the PS4 Ratchet drops the online, and sticks to being a hilarious and fun single player game. That's probably not going to happen, but a guy can dream. Anyways, I like Insomniac Games, and I want them to do well, but it looks like FUSE is just a dud. I'm not even the slightest bit interested in ever getting it. When I played the FUSE demo, I tried to find things I liked about it, but then I just lost interest in it. I'm not going to pretend to know what the whole FUSE experience is like, but one thing I know for sure is that I don't have the want to ever find out what the whole game is like. It pains me to say that, but it's true. Just like how I tried my best to like Full Frontal Assault, but I lost interest with that too after playing the demo for more than a few hours. With that said, I hope that the next game Insomniac Games puts out returns them to their former glory. It will be nice to get excited about an epic game from them again.

I don't know why you are taking totobeni seriously, the most obvious troll on gaf.

I thought Resistance 3 and All 4 1 were great.

Even Resistance 2, which is frowned upon for being the worst thing ever has some great setpieces like the leviathan. People just like to dismiss it, and I'm pretty damn well sure half the people who **** on it didn't even bother to play everything the game had to offer. Even its highlights, which was the intense online/ couch co-op mode (even if it was filled with bullet sponges).

I thought All 4 One was the weakest entry in R&C until FFA came along, but A41 was actually fun (aside from the glitches), the cutscenes were adorable however ACiT still needs a sequel.

I think people need to play R2 again and reevaluate their criticisms because I enjoyed R2 moreso than I enjoyed FPS' like Crysis 2 and Crysis 3. And the weapon variety in R3 was amazing, I thought Insomniac did the impossible and made a game where every gun was fun to shoot and level up, my only real issue with R3 was the pacing and the lack of matchmaking for campaign co-op

Nokterian

I have seen 0 marketing here in the netherlands..absoluty nothing anywhere. EA Partners shows how not to do marketing. And this was expected,shame that it had to be this way since i loved even if it was a trailer made by Blur. Overstrike was more charming and had more character then what fuse didn't have to me at least.

LegoArmo

I loved the first Resistance, honestly, didn't really click with 2.

I hope Insomniac survive, this game was always going to fail.

If the rumor about them making an exclusive for ms is true then ms probably overpaid. The amount they would except now would be much lower since fuse bombed then before.

Also they plan to make more fuse games lol

insomniac sold me a ps3 back when there was fuck all else to play on it (i got ratchet and resistance). Great games and IMO it's at that point they could have made the transition into a big name studio like naughty dog...but then they gave us resistance 2.

I hope they bounce back, it seems like it's one of the few studio's out there that isn't a sweatshop. Go back cap in hand and arselick Kaz if you have to mr Price.

Radec

Damn shame that most people here didn't even played Resistance 3.

One of the best games this generation. Even tops Half Life 2 for me.

abic

Banned
Second rate developer with a third rate entry. More wrong moves ahead and it'll be a third rate developer.

depward

Thinking it deserves better. Certainly a very fun co-op shooter and my two buds and I have been playing through it pretty slowly thus far.

Pretty good graphics, fuse weapons are fun, good boom with weapon sounds... so far it's been pretty solid.

Top Bottom