• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 - Trading off one anti-consumer practice for another. DRM vs Paywall

Vorg

Banned
Why is it ok to pay for online multiplayer now when it was a huge issue (and a huge bullet point) for playstation fans during current gen?

Is it just because Microsoft made things look so bad that a paywall to play online is somehow not as bad?

Yeah we get free games, but they aren't really our games, are they? The ones that we own will always have a portion locked away unless we pay a ransom. And I didn't ask for any free games either. Just let me play 100% of the games I own, please.

DRM isn't ok, but paying for online multiplayer is still a pretty shitty deal in my opinion. Why are we accepting it?

I think this is something we could potentially change if we wanted to...

I mean we only have ourselves and other gamers to thank at the end of the day. It is seen as free money with no real backlash.

Lesser of two evils.
Plus PS+ offers better value than XBL, and should you choose not to play online games (which is a lot of people) you don't need to pay a penny, as apps like Netflix are not behind a paywall. The PS4 pay for online is not as restricting as the 360 one was, and it offers a staggering amount more value.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Sony actually give you stuff for there paywall, hell the ps+ is offering drive club for free at launch if u subscribe.

ms is just adding free games to their gold now. but who cares about assassins creed 2 and halo 3.

Slair

I can only speculate, but if we're moving away from peer to peer multiplayer and on to dedicated servers, I assume the ps+ and xblg subscription will go towards them.

$h@d0w

I'm already paying for PS+ and within about 2 months of subscribing I have too many games to play.

I'm totally okay with this and with PS4, I get to play Drive Club on day 1.

BigDug13

Why is it ok to pay for online multiplayer now when it was a huge issue (and a huge bullet point) for playstation fans during current gen?

Is it just because Microsoft made things look so bad that a paywall to play online is somehow not as bad?

Yeah we get free games, but they aren't really our games, are they? The ones that we own will always have a portion locked away unless we pay a ransom. And I didn't ask for any free games either. Just let me play 100% of the games I own, please.

DRM isn't ok, but paying for online multiplayer is still a pretty shitty deal in my opinion. Why are we accepting it?

We don't like it but what are our options? People want to console game in 1080p. I personally have PS+ because with a Vita and PS3, you get an insane collection of free games for the $4.50 a month.

KAL2006

Banned
Another difference between the Paywall witgh PS4 and XB1, is on PS4 you have access to apps like Netflix and etc.

KPJZKC

I think this is something we could potentially change if we wanted to...

I mean we only have ourselves and other gamers to thank at the end of the day. It is seen as free money with no real backlash.

This is pretty much it. Microsoft showed that people would still come in droves and pay for years to play online (completely ignoring the awful auto-sub that's almost impossible to cancel - in Ireland anyway). So why shouldn't Sony jump on the bandwagon?

UrbanRats

Yes, and i can't believe people are ok with it, really.

liquidtmd

Banned
I don't play online, I dont wish to play online, Ive been a happy 360 owner for years. I download and install title updates via USB but that's it

Not having it forced on me = ps4

It's not okay now. But MS showed you can make a buck off it and judging by sales at least 50% of gamers are fine with that.

So the only question is do you boycott paying for multiplayer in the same way you boycott DRM? Considering I don't even activate half of the online passes I get, my answer personally is "no."

Flatline

Banned
paying for playstation plus is well worth it.

You could have said that this gen but since it's now mandatory Sony can easily start making is less "worthy". They can just blackmail consumers now they don't need these extra features.

DMeisterJ

Banned
The reason the PSN Paywall is okay with most people is because PS+ on it's own is a good service, and lacking PS+ doesn't lock you out from streaming services that you already pay for like XBL Gold. It's definitely not an ideal situation, but it's better than it could have been

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I'd prefer free online multiplayer, but I can live with a modest fee if I have to. I paid for XBLG, even if reluctantly.

I can't however, live with the DRM / Used Game restrictions at any price, so I'll happily settle for the much lesser of two evils.

Lesser of two evils.
Plus PS+ offers better value than XBL, and should you choose not to play online games (which is a lot of people) you don't need to pay a penny, as apps like Netflix are not behind a paywall.

Precisly ..The apps aren't behind a paywall.

As long as online passes are gone i'm fine with it.

DatDude

Banned
You could have said that this gen but since it's now mandatory Sony can easily start making is less "worthy". They can just blackmail consumers now they don't need these extra features.

now your just becoming silly.

PS+ gives you great value. So there's no issue for now.

nubbe

If they keep it as it is now, it will pay itself from day 1 with the instant game collection

I didn't need to buy any games for the vita

Respawn

Banned
PS+ is amazing. Poster just mentioned to many games and it's so true. With what we are facing this gen or nearly faced if that what it takes then so be it. At least I dont have to pay Sony to see my damn Netflix.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
You're getting a PS4 for $399.99. The fee for online play is going to off set selling at a loss.

Many people are comfortable paying for online play. It's really not a big deal and it makes total sense for how Sony can keep the PS4 cost fairly low.

Are we certain that ps+ is needed for multiplayer? In the conference they stated 'immersive multiplayer' could this not be interpreted as the mmo type games that are coming out, and not the shooters?

Kolgar

Maintaining servers for multiplay isn't free, I guess. And $399 up front is pretty OK, right? Is this just part and parcel of the subsidized console model now?

Have I missed something due to this paywall gaf is discussing PS+ was never a factor in PS3 ,but why is it to some in PS4.

I'm not getting it???

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Blame 360 owners who embraced it for years. Why wouldn't Sony do the same? Not to mention Plus is godlike and you should be subscribed to it 365 days a year anyway.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Because otherwise you won't be able to play online? I've been paying for xbox live for the privilege of playing online and not once have I ever felt like I was being cheated out of anything. It's a service that they decided to charge for, and its part of their revenue strategy. Its funny because now I feel like Ps plus is finally worth it if I have to be a subscriber for online.

Veezy

que?
I don't play online, I dont wish to play online, Ive been a happy 360 owner for years. I download and install title updates via USB but that's it

Not having it forced on me = ps4

Boom.

PS+ is a fantastic service. That service just now includes all the online gaming features of PS4.

I wasn't happy with Live because everything that has to do with online was trapped behind the paywall and the excessive amounts of adds and zero additional benefits outside of cross game chat (friends lists and demos are not a perk). However, in this case, Netflix, Hulu, etc. are separate from the gaming online portion of the console.

I'm cool with that. It sucks, but there ya go. At least you get free games with plus.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yes, and i can't believe people are ok with it, really.
But lots of people aren't okay with it. Stop making these ignorant statement and check the actual thread with the reactions for PS+ now being required to play multiplayer.

Does everything have to be spun into some kind of console war bullshit?

MS stumbled like idiots out of the gate with the Xbone, Sony just needed to counter 4/5 of them and still look good.

NewGame

Banned
They were pretty clever, they bowled us over with so many announcements that flew in the face of Xbox,
even though Nintendo isn't even touching such DRM or buyer restrictions. Praise Sony, ignore Nintendo etc-
and then calmly mentioned that online play would be paywalled ahem moving on.

Valtýr

It does suck but it's literally the least evil thing a company can do not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Top Bottom