• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheating on the PC has gotten completely out of control

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
How can everyone spot cheaters so easily. They should just pay GAF to watch games and ban cheaters - problem solved.
I have definitely encountered cheaters - the super obvious ones, Battlefront I remember with a guy with a fully auto laser cannon that would instantly aim on you, and the odd sneaky one, Bad Company 2 with a sniper that would instantly hide as soon as I spotted him. But most of the time I assume they are just better than me, quake 1 I remember players who could have a rocket heading to most of the spawn points by the time you respawned.

drotahorror

Check that mod out for RDR2. Private lobbies with friends.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
thats the one major issue on PC gaming

Last edited:

calistan

How can you tell if the person is cheating? I mean, I don't record my gaming sessions and analyse them in forensic detail like some of those youtube folk do, and replay theatres (like CoD and Halo used to have) are quite unusual in online games these days.

There's obvious stuff, like the other day when one of my CoD MWIII opponents began the match with a high level killstreak reward that's so rare, I've never seen it in regular gameplay. A blatant cheat, or maybe a glitch. Who knows?

But other things, such as somebody getting a ridiculously high kill/death ratio or whatever. I can't tell if he's just some camping bastard who knows a really good place to hide.

Zelduh

Yep another downside of playing on PC. It's "free" to play online so you get what you pay for. That and all the Russians and third worlders in general who are all on PC and also love to cheat. It's sad, why even play if you're going to cheat? Defeats the entire purpose

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Every competitive game now has cheaters. I for one can’t wait for cloud gaming to be the norm as it makes it much tougher to cheat. My sons a pro esports player and has never cheated but know there are other pros who do to win prize pools. Cheating in a solo game if fine I guess but those who do it in competitive are horrible people.

BlackTron

The more youngsters who see streaming and social fame as an out, the more will be drawn to cheats. Tech has got better too, and harder to detect.

When we were young it was bad on certain servers/games but today is rife.

I remember when cheating in a MP game just meant you were killing time being an asshole. Now it's rewarded with social fame?! Worst timeline

sendit

Yep another downside of playing on PC. It's "free" to play online so you get what you pay for. That and all the Russians and third worlders in general who are all on PC and also love to cheat. It's sad, why even play if you're going to cheat? Defeats the entire purpose

No way has Xbox Gold brain washed you this much.

calistan

But how can you tell? You see all these videos with people showing you wallhacks, cheats that give you mouse speed plus joypad auto-aim, etc, but how do you know it's actually widespread, and how do you know if you're a victim of it?

Here's one from my recent games list. I joined in progress, the game ended unnaturally quickly, and one player on my team got nearly 3x as many kills as anyone else. He also didn't collect the tags, which is the actual objective in this mode, and he had very few deaths.

Was he cheating? Is he just really good at sitting in a corner, shooting everyone who's playing the objective? I have no idea.

CcUyWKw.jpg

Larxia

RDR2 is horrible online because of this =/ Every time I try to play it, there is someone who teleports me around, put me on fire, send NPCs to attack me... All kind of random stuff like this. It's incredibly annoying, and if you try to play for the immersion of RDR, it's even worse.

The type of cheat that I think I hate the MOST however, is leaderboard cheating. Why? Because I love scoring in arcade games, and leaderboards are super interesting and fun on such games, they can push you to try being better and better at something, because you know it's possible to do better. Sadly, with cheats, the leaderboards, in all games, are filled with cheated scores and you don't know what score is legit or not... I really hate that...

Shin-Ra

There’s so many ‘legit cheats’ beyond the obvious brightness/contrast optimisation, better hardware naturally enabling higher resolution, framerate, VRR and even BFI for clearer vision.

Selectively adjusting graphics settings to increase visibility:
• Field of View (max/increase)
• Depth of Field (off/reduce)
• Level of Detail (usually multiple settings, minimise visual noise and occlusions)

If you’re not already hitting max res/framerate, the reduced settings help get you there!

Some displays have customisable crosshair overlays, alternatively: masking tape. Playing an online pool/snooker game? Whip out a straight-edge to help line up shots!

G-DannY

if you want to see how many cheaters are around, just head to escape from tarkov reddit, read the posts/watch the profiles posted and do the mat about the average cheaters around ANY game

Wildebeest

I don’t understand cheating, How is it even fun?
From my understanding, a lot of people who do it are already bored with the game. Some even think they are doing something "noble" by showing people how the game is imperfect and hackable. Then you have the genuine narc type personalities who get off on being seen as a hotshot and think the cheats are just a way of massaging their image, so people can see them as being as great as they see themselves at their best.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
When exactly has been "under" control ?? I dont play on PC since the ps3 era and even then this shit was full of cheats.

hlm666

Was he cheating? Is he just really good at sitting in a corner, shooting everyone who's playing the objective? I have no idea.
This is definitely a part of it, back when I was playing battlefield 1 there was always someone in a bomber or tank that wouldn't really play the objective and just kill farm. I would be on a side completely getting rolled yet our top player would be like 100/0 kd and would be accused of cheating even though it was pretty clear the only thing they were guilty of was not being a team player.

IAmRei

This is why i only play with friends, or bots. I like bots. But the number of games with bots are shrinking nowadays.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I assume you can't make the games ring fence by geographic location and just make all the Chinese and Russians play on the same servers? Not saying they're the only ones to cheat but let's face it they are mostly a shower of cunts and nobody wants to play with them so that'd be a first good step in the right direction to at least reduce it

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Just let nature take its course...get too old and slow for MP shooters and stop playing and stop worrying about cheaters.

winjer

Gold Member
There was a time when MP games on PC came with it's own SDK.
Meaning gamers had the power to create and manage their own servers.
Frequently we had servers hosted by clans, that would police servers and ban cheaters.
There was also the option to vote to kick or ban other users. This sometimes was abused by some users, but most often, it was a good way to get rid of cheaters.
But now game companies are control freaks that refuse to give any power to gamers, even if it would benefit the community.
The reality is that humans are much better at anti-cheaters than any program.

Spyxos

Gold Member
How can everyone spot cheaters so easily. They should just pay GAF to watch games and ban cheaters - problem solved.
I have definitely encountered cheaters - the super obvious ones, Battlefront I remember with a guy with a fully auto laser cannon that would instantly aim on you, and the odd sneaky one, Bad Company 2 with a sniper that would instantly hide as soon as I spotted him. But most of the time I assume they are just better than me, quake 1 I remember players who could have a rocket heading to most of the spawn points by the time you respawned.
How can you tell if the person is cheating? I mean, I don't record my gaming sessions and analyse them in forensic detail like some of those youtube folk do, and replay theatres (like CoD and Halo used to have) are quite unusual in online games these days.

There's obvious stuff, like the other day when one of my CoD MWIII opponents began the match with a high level killstreak reward that's so rare, I've never seen it in regular gameplay. A blatant cheat, or maybe a glitch. Who knows?

But other things, such as somebody getting a ridiculously high kill/death ratio or whatever. I can't tell if he's just some camping bastard who knows a really good place to hide.

In Gta online and Red Dead it is extremely easy to tell that someone is cheating. They teleport and are immortal . They can spawn things in the world and kill you in countless ways that don't exist in the game.

I noticed speed hacks in Cod Warzone. And in the killcam you can often see very clearly that he is already running and positioning himself towards the opponent even though he can't see him through the wall and the opponent is very far away. What's more, every shot hits, even though you can see from the cheater's movement that he's not even remotly capable of doing so. But there are also people who hide it very well. I'm never sure whether they're cheating or not. Lately I've noticed that a lot of people don't even try to hide it anymore and cheat openly.

Last edited:
I play quite a lot on the consoles, but I very rarely come across cheaters. At least it's not that noticeable.

Sony only just recently blocked this attachment it was unblocked for what 3-4 years, on Xbox it is still unblocked. On PC you can use this without issues whatsoever- untracable aimbot basically. It has profiles for different games also. Not only COD.

Last edited:

Schmick

I'm not denying cheating exists but how do you tell apart those who are cheating and those who are just really good at the game.

I've been accused of cheating a few times playing CS2. And I can tell you I do not cheat (and wouldn't even know how to or feel inclined to). In fact what I find frustrating is being kicked from a match because some sore losers think I am and can simply kick me by starting a kick vote. One match one player kept starting a kick vote every couple of minutes. The vote kept failing and the player just kept sending abuse towards me. The player must of started at least 5-7 kick votes and in the end was eventually successful and I was kicked.

Last edited:
I realize that there have always been cheaters on the PC, but it's gotten really bad lately. I also think it's bad when you talk about it with others. It usually just comes back, well, they're just cheating. There's not much I can do about it. As if people have already given up inside and have accepted that there is a lot of cheating.

Why am I writing all this, the night before I met up with some friends on Discord and we wanted to play some games we haven't played in a while. The first disaster was Gta online. If I were to guess, there were 3-4 cheaters on the very first server, if not more. Sure ok bad luck changed server. Somehow one of the cheaters followed us to the new server and it rained rockets from the sky again.

Ok then, let's go to Red Dead Online. We meet in Valentine and there are already 2 other players there. They immediately started shooting, but were of course themselves immortal....

As a last attempt we wanted to play Warzone. The first round was cheater free. But in the second round, tadaa, someone is cheating again. With aimbot and I don't know what else hacks. Then we gave up, the evening was over and we had achieved nothing but lost time to the cheaters.

So far I've only seen a lot of cheaters in older games where there's been no support for ages and nobody gets banned anymore. But these were all current games with a lot of updates and many players. You would think that something would be done against cheaters, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
thank god overwatch is almost free of cheaters. It's really rare to encounter one, to the point there is only one cheater per 1000 hours of gameplay on average.

calistan

I've been accused of cheating a few times playing CS2. And I can tell you I do not cheat (and wouldn't even know how to or feel inclined to). In fact what I find frustrating is being kicked from a match because some sore losers think I am and can simply kick me by starting a kick vote. One match one player kept starting a kick vote every couple of minutes. The vote kept failing and the player just kept sending abuse towards me. The player must of started at least 5-7 kick votes and in the end was eventually successful and I was kicked.
That sounds like people wanting to get rid of somebody who is dominating the game.

If the multiplayer games I play had an option to remove somebody who was winning too much, I’d probably vote to kick him.

Hoddi

I figure a lot of it depends on where you live. I mostly play MP on PC and it's incredibly rare that I notice an obvious cheater. Maybe one per year if I'm being generous.

Zelduh

It has absolutely nothing to do with arbitrary sub fees for P2P online play on consoles.

Back when Sony and Nintendo online were free, they didn't have cheaters either.

Online games should never be free because you need the filter the undesirables and the children, otherwise it's always going to be a mess especially on PC where everyone thinks they're a 1337 h4x0r

You get what you pay for.

(PC multiplayer is free)
Paying a subscription doesn't prevent people from cheating. PS3 didn't have a cheater problem.

It's everything to do with the freedom you get on PC which has pros and cons which unfortunately include ease of cheating. Whether or not the game has a subscription service (go look at botting that's plagued some MMOs nonstop for decades).

Last edited:
Every competitive game now has cheaters. I for one can’t wait for cloud gaming to be the norm as it makes it much tougher to cheat. My sons a pro esports player and has never cheated but know there are other pros who do to win prize pools. Cheating in a solo game if fine I guess but those who do it in competitive are horrible people.
By the time 10 gbps connections are prevalent to allow cloud gaming, AI cheats with cameras watching the screens will have almost no lag.

Spyxos

Gold Member
thank god overwatch is almost free of cheaters. It's really rare to encounter one, to the point there is only one cheater per 1000 hours of gameplay on average.
There was also a time in Overwatch 1 when there were a lot of cheaters, then they somehow got it under control.

ManaByte

Gold Member
on Xbox it is still unblocked

No it's not. Xbox blocked unlicensed accessories last November. But of course the reaction was quite different.

Spyxos

Gold Member

Sony only just recently blocked this attachment it was unblocked for what 3-4 years, on Xbox it is still unblocked. On PC you can use this without issues whatsoever- untracable aimbot basically. It has profiles for different games also. Not only COD.

Yes, you can also cheat on the consoles, but the effort is much greater. On the PC, after a quick google search, you already have your cheats. In addition, your entire console will be banned if you are caught.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Cheaters in online games are fucking assholes. I especially hate when a game has anti-cheat that just straight up doesn’t work (fuck you bungie. Last trials match I did had a dude firing around and aimbotting through walls.)

People who cheat in online mp games are no dick losers and I hope their PSU fries their pc.

ManaByte

Gold Member
but the effort is much greater.

No it's not. You just plug your controller into a box and you have all the cheats. No different than a game genie back in the day, only now it's bullshit for MP games and only dickless virgins do it.

Shut0wen

Only game ive played that doesnt have cheaters is pretry much mw games, there anti cheat shit is pretty good for a shit franchise

Spyxos

Gold Member
No it's not. You just plug your controller into a box and you have all the cheats. No different than a game genie back in the day, only now it's bullshit for MP games and only dickless virgins do it.
You have to buy this device first and as I said, the whole console can be banned. On the Pc you can cheat for free. The risk of cheating on the console is much higher. And I've been playing online on the consoles since Xbox classic.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Laughs in R6Siege. Almost no cheaters (that I encounter).

It's why all that PCMR stuff is a joke. PC was great for decades but it's overpriced and cheater heaven.
PCMR was always a joke, created by some with dirt peasant complex. PC is great since always and MP games with cheaters is just a tiny portion of PC gaming.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
And I've been playing online on the consoles since Xbox classic.

So? I've been playing console online games since PSO on the DC. These devices didn't exist until the previous generation where USB became standard on the consoles.

Spyxos

Gold Member
So? I've been playing console online games since PSO on the DC. These devices didn't exist until the previous generation where USB became standard on the consoles.
Ah right, I had the Dreamcast too. We just see it completely differently.

Top Bottom