• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida- "All Stars sold over a million units globally".

Yoshida said on podcast beyond that it sold over a million, and that Sony "like the idea". He did say that sales weren't strong enough for more DLC/a guaranteed sequel though.
Lock if old.

Mileena

Banned
That's pretty damn bad for Sony's flagship holiday 2012 title, on two platforms worldwide. Not surprised at all though, it probably deserves less sales.

That's pretty damn bad for Sony's flagship holiday 2012 title, on two platforms worldwide. Not surprised at all though, it probably deserves less sales.
I disagree, it deserved more marketing and better sales.
It was fun, a sequel could have been great.

Bombadil

Banned
Well, they should have realized that the game was going to fail when they resorted to Parappa the Rappa.

I mean, seriously.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It's a shame no more DLC or a sequel. I loved the game. I was playing it while waiting in line to see infamous Second Son and KZ: SF, and had a few people ask me about it and looking over my shoulder while I played.

Ein Bear

It was a good game, albeit rough around the edges.

I think if Sony gave it another shot, and released it near launch on the PS4, it could do pretty well for itself. Smash Bros didn't really become the big event that it is today until Melee and the GC launch.

Eusis

The sad reality is that 1 million is a bomb nowadays.
I wonder, this isn't exactly a game that needed mind blowing production values afterall, not unless there's some surprise there.

I kind of expect if it comes back it'd be towards the end of the PS4 where they go "oh hey, we got more characters we could actually use."

Gadirok

Agreed. Given the half-assed GUI, the menu, the bogged down Singleplayer, in terms of comparison to what Smash brought in content Allstars fell face first and I blame Superbot.

However I loved the gameplay and stable online multiplayer matches. Especially on my Vita, it was phenomenal. The online community will be strong in this title for a long time to come, and it is fun as ****.

Its like the team only focused on how to make online MP fun and deliver nothing else in terms of content. They needed to hire a graphics artist for the menu and UI.

Murrah

Banned
Sucks about no more dlc. The little that's there looked like it was on point, though I say that as someone who hasn't played the game and just liked the concept as a lapsed Playstation fan

I played the beta more than the finished game... :D
I even preordered it because I LOVED the beta and when it arrived I didn't play it.
I don't even know why. Have to get back to it at some point.

Gameplay was fun while it lasted. A few OP characters (I personally thought some were OP not everyone thinks this), and a bad roster really brought the game down.

Verendus

Banned
I'm just going to say this. There'll be another mascot brawler but with more emphasis on it just being a rumble between various different characters (so they won't market it as some Playstation legacy game), and I don't believe you're going to get an 'All-Stars' sequel. They won't associate it with that. It'll be a different name.

The big mistake with All-Stars was releasing it like they did, and on the PS3. They should have saved it as a launch window title for the PS4. It would have given it more attention, and potentially more opportunity for success. It was sent to die with just poor decisions surrounding it.

Hero

1 million globally?

Even that seems unrealistic. In the first month didn't it sell less than 100K in NA? Don't remember Japanese numbers being impressive either.

FYC

Banned
Yoshida said on podcast beyond that it sold over a million, and that Sony "like the idea". He did say that sales weren't strong enough for more DLC/a guaranteed sequel though.
Lock if old.

No more DLC characters?!

J5Bbye6.gif

Gadirok

It was a good game, albeit rough around the edges.

I think if Sony gave it another shot, and released it near launch on the PS4, it could do pretty well for itself. Smash Bros didn't really become the big event that it is today until Melee and the GC launch.

If its a repeat of what Superbot did, or the same team with the lazy ass work they did in, I don't want it.

The game didn't do enough service to Sony's ips, especially in terms of the single player campaign which felt repetitive and boring. Most fights in the campaign are filler to delibrately waste time. I still don't know how I manged to platinum both PS3 and Vita versions. Its a respectable game with some good multiplayer and gameplay, but I don't want to see another title from Superbot for awhile.

I'm all for DLC though.

This is what happens for not put Crash in your game, he was such an obvious required character.

It would have given the game a bigger push. Nostalgia overload.

Eusis

Agree.
No Crash
No Spyro
No Snake
No Cloud

Instead you get Big Daddy, Emo Donta, Raiden, and Dead Space character
Yeah, if this felt more strongly like a PS1/PS2 celebration of Sony too I think I'd be way more interested. Instead a good chunk of the third party characters were ones that were far more platform neutral characters, possibly Xbox leaning instead. Raiden's the big exception, and people would Snake more or at least in addition to Raiden.

NateDrake

1 million globally?

Even that seems unrealistic. In the first month didn't it sell less than 100K in NA? Don't remember Japanese numbers being impressive either.

It was discounted to insanely low levels at stores and on the digital store. Plus, didn't they bundle the game, also?

Thorakai

I liked how Sakurai addressed the problem of small characters in the 3DS version of Smash by outlining them in black. One of the many design problems in the game was that it was way too easy to lose track of your characters in the middle of a match. I don't know why they decided to zoom the camera so far back and make the characters so small with all the screen space offered in modern HDTVs. I hope Sony decides to re-invest in the franchise down the line with a better budget.

lantus

Honestly, that game felt to me like it was sent out to die. Granted this is based off of just my perception of the game and playing the beta on Vita, but there just wasn't anything really appealing about the title, and this is coming from someone who generally likes to buy Sony games.

kick51

Banned
Like a Power Stone-type thing? That would actually have been really cool, and helped to distance it from Smash.

Pretty sure the Smash associations helped it. Even it's blatant stealing, everyone saying "it's basically Sony Smash Bros" surely got some people to try it out.

"It's like Power Stone" is not as catchy, aside for some hardcore folks.

Top Bottom