• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida- "All Stars sold over a million units globally".

Revven

Like a Power Stone-type thing? That would actually have been really cool, and helped to distance it from Smash.

I don't think the issue was it ripping off of Smash. The issue was, they weren't taking the right parts of Smash that... make Smash good. And one of those aspects is the blastzone system (sending people off of stages to KO them). Another is getting the physics right (physics to this day still look absolutely atrocious to me) and then of course, the blending of the characters to fit one cohesive artstyle. The clashing stages were also quite hard on the eyes at times.

People cried fowl with it because they didn't like the initial idea of "copying" Smash. But really, if they copied everything down to a T, the game would have resonated more with Smash players and probably been tons more successful.. but then at that point the final issue is the roster; simply not enough iconic characters people cared about. (Fat Princess? Really?)

DMczaf

No Crash = Not definitive.

I don't care how much Activision or Universal wanted for Crash, you pay the price. You don't include Big Daddy and not Crash in a Sony Smash Bros game.

Gadirok

Jesus Christ you're bitter

I agree with him though. It did deserve less sales only because of the half-assed job Superbot managed.

Heck, I preordered it (I never preorder games) and bought it at launch price.

They shouldn't have made it a $60 title, because the game's content simply did not deliver to the hype.

The SP campaigns were terrible and obnoxious. Its like they spent 5 minutes on it. The content is meh.

The game doesn't even do fanservice properly.

Its clear that it was a budget title, and probably a low key investment from Sony, which is why they probably greenlit the idea when Superbot presented it to them.

But personally, Sony should have supervised it more and should have been more strict.

The only redeeming fact was the online multiplayer and the netcoding, which I assume Santa Monica handled and helped out in. I think Superbot just wasn't a very good team to handle this kind of project.

DigitalOp

Banned
I think this was a prime example of this current gens biggest problem.

Rushed games. They shouldn't even be announced until you know their ready... even 75 percent done perhaps!

You can tell the focus was 100% on gameplay... nothing else... as a result we have a fun ass game that lacks in pretty much every other category except multiplayer.

I was one this games biggest cheerleaders pre-launch. I even bought it launch night at 60. Its painful to see(play) the dream before it was fully realized. It would have been something really special...

Still tons of fun though. Grab it cheap!

Bout to platinum my copy... it'll be my first plat.

Drago

I disagree, it deserved more marketing and better sales.
It was fun, a sequel could have been great.
Pretty much.

I'd love a sequel to the game. First game had a lot of potential but didn't feel fully realized. Needed a lot more polish overall. I'd buy it on PS4.

Zee-Row

Banned
The gameplay is solid but outside of that there is nothing to do. Everything from the menu to the extras feels so bland compared to Smash Bros.

Yawnier

Banned
I was actually semi looking forward to this game last year... until the point last summer that the entire roster aside from a few DLC characters was leaked and I realized how lackluster of a roster the game had. The game seems like it could have been handled much better overall but Superbot just weren't given that much of a budget or support to do it and to add to that they lacked the support from some 3rd party pubs to add some more legacy third party characters like Crash or Spyro that could have gained a lot of attention.

They worked with what what limited resources they had and this is what we got.

I'm just going to say this. Because why not? There'll be another mascot brawler but with more emphasis on it just being a rumble between various different characters (so they won't market it as some Playstation legacy game), and I don't believe you're going to get an 'All-Stars' sequel. They won't associate it with that. It'll be a different name.

The big mistake with All-Stars was releasing it like they did, and on the PS3. They should have saved it as a launch window title for the PS4. It would have given it more attention, and potentially more opportunity for success. It was sent to die with just poor decisions surrounding it.

Sounds like Power Stone, sort of.

Village

Agree.
No Crash
No Spyro
No Snake
No Cloud

Instead you get Big Daddy, Emo Donta, Raiden, and Dead Space character

was fine.

Here is the real issue.

the girl from heavenly sword was in this game

BUt the god damned TOMB RAIDAh was no where to be seen , WHAT?

Really loved this game. It's a shame about the DLC, but I hope Sony tries again with the mascot brawler. I think it deserves to have their very best on it.

Game needs more levels, characters and BALANCE. You can literally go into another room with the game online playing Kratos, button mash and still win the game. It's ridiculous how some characters are so bicycle training wheel easy and build meter like a cake walk.

How would gaf react if Crash was in Smash wii u? After all Snake happened (and didn't even happen in all stars).

Never going to happen, but I'd love it. Sonic vs Megaman vs Mario vs Crash. Glorious.

Gadirok

I don't think the issue was it ripping off of Smash. The issue was, they weren't taking the right parts of Smash that... make Smash good. And one of those aspects is the blastzone system (sending people off of stages to KO them). Another is getting the physics right (physics to this day still look absolutely atrocious to me) and then of course, the blending of the characters to fit one cohesive artstyle. The clashing stages were also quite hard on the eyes at times.

People cried fowl with it because they didn't like the initial idea of "copying" Smash. But really, if they copied everything down to a T, the game would have resonated more with Smash players and probably been tons more successful.. but then at that point the final issue is the roster; simply not enough iconic characters people cared about. (Fat Princess? Really?)

Honestly, I don't think it could have done much better than what it did in terms of sales. Even if it copied Smash more, it would probably just lead to more public outcry and whining. Besides pandering to different groups of fans and putting in fanservice, it would have barely shifted the units sold. This entire game was basically pandering to the people who always asked the question "what if Sony made a smash?" without putting in the iconic playstation characters like Cloud, Snake, Abe, and other symbolical ones. They got the first party characters in but it basically sold itself to a relatively small niche. The hardcore PS3/Vita fans who mildly enjoyed the 1st party games. And even then I know tons of people who didn't buy it because it didn't have the real playstation mascots that were more symbolic than some of the characters they put in.

I liked its formula, but its content and roster were just mediocre. They could have just done a much better job refining this game completely, but it feels like a rushed out title and probably was one.

Meelow

Banned
How would gaf react if Crash was in Smash wii u? After all Snake happened (and didn't even happen in all stars).

Never going to happen, but I'd love it. Sonic vs Megaman vs Mario vs Crash. Glorious.

I'd love to see the reactions to that.

Also Cloud being in SSB4 also would be very funny, but I don't see it happening.

sn00zer

Hah I always feel nervous postin in PSABR threads

I think it was a solid game. Gameplay was pretty damn good, but as with a lot of first time fighting games, it broke down a bit with extremely high level play. One thing that I thought was just an unfortunate misstep was how loyal they were to the respective IPs. Meaning each IP looked just like they did from the game they came from, everything from animations to textures. So each character/level was incredibly faithful to their IP, more so than any other IP mish mash game Ive played. This made the artstyle a bit confusing at times.

But a sequel (and not necessarily a fighting game) would be amazing. I really think the "Playstation Family" of IPs is worth exploring. Games like Sonic Transformed and Brawl showed you can have drastically different IPs and still make them look as though they belong together if you take small liberties with their design.

Anyway, I dont think the "Playstation All-Stars" franchise is dead, they should take it in a slightly different direction and give the devs and actual budget to work with. And I would love for a sort of museum approach that Brawl took with the trophies and stickers.

EDIT: THe initial roster was great as far as first party games go, was lacking in third party, but I am positive that was due entirely to it being an untested franchise.

> Fill your mascot game that was supposed to showcase 20 years of your company's international gaming history with nothing but FPS gun dudes and characters from the current gen +/-

>Wonder why it only sells in America

Gadirok

As opposed to the bullshit overpowered scrub-magnet Snake in Brawl.

Well Raiden is fairly OP in PSASBR. For people who don't know how to counter him atleast.

The only characters I can't stand is fat princess (seriously why was she even in this game, NOBODY CARES) and Donte not because its donte instead of dante but its because every person who uses him does the exact same combination and basically bores the hell out of me. Like they never change it up. Its the same block and wait game. I haven't run into a single donte that hasn't done that besides the newbies, and they are also encouraged to do that stupid move.

Soler

Banned
I agree with him though. It did deserve less sales only because of the half-assed job Superbot managed.

Heck, I preordered it (I never preorder games) and bought it at launch price.

They shouldn't have made it a $60 title, because the game's content simply did not deliver to the hype.

The SP campaigns were terrible and obnoxious. Its like they spent 5 minutes on it. The content is meh.

The game doesn't even do fanservice properly.

Its clear that it was a budget title, and probably a low key investment from Sony, which is why they probably greenlit the idea when Superbot presented it to them.

But personally, Sony should have supervised it more and should have been more strict.

The only redeeming fact was the online multiplayer and the netcoding, which I assume Santa Monica handled and helped out in. I think Superbot just wasn't a very good team to handle this kind of project.
The game played well and it was a blast online
The menus and SP were poorly done but I paid 40 for it on vita and I enjoyed it extremely and got my monies worth

The shitty roster doomed the game from the start.
Definitely had some to do with it since that would have created a lot more buzz about it. It's not the devs fault but maybe it was Sony's for not sufficiently putting their weight behind securing some of those characters (or in some cases the right versions). It just seems wrong to have a game called Playstation All-Stars and not have Crash, or Spyro, or Cloud, or Sephiroth, or Snake, etc.

The shitty-ass third party selections certainly didn't help. Who the fuck wanted Big Daddy, Raiden and New Dante in a game all about Playstation? Heihachi was an underwhelming pick, and was already from a fighting game anyway, but at least his inclusion made sense. BD has no association with Playstation, the omni-popular New Dante's game wasn't even out yet and no one gives a fuck about Raiden; he's just the pansy that ruined Metal Gear Solid 2.

They should have gone for the big four third-party characters, and if for whatever reason those were unobtainable then go in the opposite direction and dig deep into the PS back catalogue of niche games and classic gems to get approval that way. Dart from Legend of Dragoon might be long forgotten by the masses, but his inclusion still would've pleased a lot more people than fuckin' Raiden.

Still a good game, but that roster helped no one.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Should've had more Wii fit

That would have been cool too! At least make the roster humorous if you can't get the marquee characters.

They should have had a car from Gran Turismo or something. The whole Cole / Evil Cole thing was just awful.

Soler

Banned
> Fill your mascot game that was supposed to showcase 20 years of your company's international gaming history with nothing but FPS gun dudes and characters from the current gen +/-

>Wonder why it only sells in America
Toro, Fat Princess, Sly, Toro, Raiden,Sir Dan, Sackboy, Kat, parappa,Ratchet, Spike, Cole

That's about half the roster
There's only one FPS character in Radec
Try again

Gadirok

The game played well and it was a blast online
The menus and SP were poorly done but I paid 40 for it on vita and I enjoyed it extremely and got my monies worth

I think if they had made it a $20 game from the start it wouldn't have been so bad. I personally wasn't stupid enough to pay $60 from launch as I managed to snag a few preorder deals to get it for $33 with the preorder costumes at launch, so I definitely got more than my moneys worth. Probably spent well over 100 hours in the game so far anyways in the online.

But if they said it was $20, got rid of the garbage SP components, it probably would have done much better than it did now. Instead they did what they pulled with each game last year. Push out a $60 game for the sake of it being a $60 game, tack on some Single player and watch it bomb.

Twisted Metal was supposed to be a downloadable cheap PSN title, but that was swayed by Sony to become a full $60 title. Starhawk would have been better off as a budget title. I hear mixed reception to the SP, as some people that it was pretty good and decent. I thought it was mediocre, but the multiplayer alone was worth the $67 I spent on the game. It bombed harder than any of the other titles that year. LBP Karting was a bomba from day 1.

Meanwhile, Journey the $15 title managed to sell more copies than either of these and later got a physical collectors edition release. Thats because it didn't tack on unnecessary shit.

Soler

Banned
That would have been cool too! At least make the roster humorous if you can't get the marquee characters.

They should have had a car from Gran Turismo or something. The whole Cole / Evil Cole thing was just awful.
Fat princess and toro were quirky
I agree they dropped the ball by not having spyro and crash but that's prob cause activision wanted way too much money

My whole family loves the game. It has never left our family game rotation since I bought it and it will be there for the forseeable future.

shink

It's more than I thought it would sell after bombing pretty much everywhere.
Nice idea, badly implemented (budget UI, super based kills)

Ploid 3.0

I bought my copy on PSN. I wish I could buy all my fighting games digital so I have instant access to them, and I play them the most this gen. It sucks that there will be no PSA2 but I had fun with my Coles. I will play Infamous SS as a tribute of my favorite new characters, note: I have Infamous 1 but never played through it, I was going to get I2 after I beat it, but I'm a slacker when it comes to playing games these days. I'll just start at Infamous SS.

Soler

Banned
I think if they had made it a $20 game from the start it wouldn't have been so bad. I personally wasn't stupid enough to pay $60 from launch as I managed to snag a few preorder deals to get it for $33 with the preorder costumes at launch, so I definitely got more than my moneys worth. Probably spent well over 100 hours in the game so far anyways in the online.

But if they said it was $20, got rid of the garbage SP components, it probably would have done much better than it did now. Instead they did what they pulled with each game last year. Push out a $60 game for the sake of it being a $60 game, tack on some Single player and watch it bomb.

Twisted Metal was supposed to be a downloadable cheap PSN title, but that was swayed by Sony to become a full $60 title. Starhawk would have been better off as a budget title. I hear mixed reception to the SP, as some people that it was pretty good and decent. I thought it was mediocre, but the multiplayer alone was worth the $67 I spent on the game. It bombed harder than any of the other titles that year. LBP Karting was a bomba from day 1.

Meanwhile, Journey the $15 title managed to sell more copies than either of these and later got a physical collectors edition release. Thats because it didn't tack on unnecessary shit.
Should've been budget title priced i agree
40 for ps3
30 on vita

sn00zer

It really was. They got screwed over by third parties.

Trier words have never been said, because they were pretty creative with their first party line up....got all of the major franchises and threw in 3 or 4 quirky ones (FP, Ape Escape, Medievil, Toro)

Should've been budget title priced i agree
40 for ps3
30 on vita
I would not be surprised if this game influenced their decision to release $40 games (Sly Cooper 4 and Puppeteer)

Gadirok

The shitty-ass third party selections certainly didn't help. Who the fuck wanted Big Daddy, Raiden and New Dante in a game all about Playstation? Heihachi was an underwhelming pick, and was already from a fighting game anyway, but at least his inclusion made sense. BD has no association with Playstation, the omni-popular New Dante's game wasn't even out yet and no one gives a fuck about Raiden; he's just the pansy that ruined Metal Gear Solid 2.

They should have gone for the big four third-party characters, and if for whatever reason those were unobtainable then go in the opposite direction and dig deep into the PS back catalogue of niche games and classic gems to get approval that way. Dart from Legend of Dragoon might be long forgotten by the masses, but his inclusion still would've pleased a lot more people than fuckin' Raiden.

Still a good game, but that roster helped no one.

It was a good game definitely, but I felt like Sony gave a subpar development team a limited budget on a game that probably should have never been made. This is the kind of game that needs to be done to a high pedigree on the first release.

If they were just testing the waters it should have been released like FFA (as a budget sized release from the beginning), except ditching the SP campaign and fixing the garbage UI. That way only the positives would be left with the online MP, and they could slowly introduce more characters through dlc by making it a budget $20-$30 release and not wasting the game's budget by the launch.

Or better yet, could have made it a F2P title. I was expecting it to come to PS+ this month but it didn't. Only made me realize that they never had any real intentions to go forward with the dlc and it was more or less a blatant cash in for 2012 as they just needed some filler for November along with LBP:Karting.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I thought it was a very solid game. It was the first entry, and still had ways to catch up in presentation and features to Smash Bros. It would have been a great near launch title for PS4.

When it was called "Title Fight" and it was being developed by Santa Monica directly, it looked like a genuinely interesting concept however, for whatever reason, it never happened and a studio was formed solely to make the game and when the project seemed to be falling into disarray only then did Sony get Seth Killian to step in but by then it was too late.

Bad decisions all round, there's definitely a good game in there somewhere, but there's too many things that stop it being truly fun. Even the menus looked like they were knocked together in a few hours.

Basically, what I'm saying, they would be as well scrapping the first game entirely, pretend it never happened, go back to the Title Fight name under Santa Monica with Seth Killian as lead and built it as a fighter from the ground up. Pay a bit of cash to third parties to get the characters people want. Make sure the thing is actually balanced on release.

Top Bottom