• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: ToD (PS3) - new interview, 2 new screens

pswii60

deepbrown said:
funny_myspace.gif

:D

Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So they've officially decided to leave MP out of R&C Future...not sure how I feel about that. If they really do make the SP as large as they're suggesting - say, at least as long as God of War 2 - I guess I'd be fine with that.

gofreak said:
Kerchu City = the city of the original GDC demo, or..?
Yes, plus the area shown in the latest trailer where he starts in a jungle - apparently that's all part of the same world. I think.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Really nice pictures. Looks like their new engine with streaming textures is paying off. I like the overall look of this a lot more than I liked most levels in Resistance.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
for this Gamer's Day, new Gameplay Vids Im expecting...

Heavenly Sword
Uncharted
Rachet & Clank
GT5 Prologue
Folk Monster Soul Unknow Kingdom Realm Folk:D
LAIR

hopefully news/Screenshots or Info for whatever...

Sucker Punch
Zipper Int.
SCJ studios
Guerrila

...are up too

tha_con

Banned
~Devil Trigger~ said:

Heavenly Sword
Uncharted
Rachet & Clank
GT5 Prologue
LAIR

Sucker Punch
Zipper Int.
SCJ studios
Guerrila

...are up too

When exactly is gamer's day?

Amir0x

Banned
wait what is with all these "conferences" going on now? It's like devs all decided in harmony to just hold E3 anyway on their own terms.

Jim

Robinspain said:
Sony gamers day is next monday.

..and Tuesday and Wednesday.

Amir0x said:
wait what is with all these "conferences" going on now? It's like devs all decided in harmony to just hold E3 anyway on their own terms.

After the news of the E3 being killed off last year, that's exactly what publishers said they would prefer to do over the whole chaotic circus atmosphere. Really, while there is no "competition" per se, they can keep the coverage more focused.

Like I said in another thread, instead of the huge Christmas morning-like payoff, we get several days (or more like weeks) of Hanukkah style fun. (I celebrate both, so works for me :) )

wow... i couldn't be more excited for Sony's Gamers' Day. It just hit me how big Sony's first party is and it really does give the PS3 an edge over the competition. Can't wait to see new media on their games.. I feel as though there has been a media drought.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Zipper needs to talk Socom.

That friggin' Socom II theme music got me stoked!

tribal24 said:
>.> gamer day would be perfect to release a lair demo!!

hahaha, yeah right....psn needs to get better demos on there...sigma was a start though (GT HD is excellent of course)...HS would be a real treat though

peace

Jim

Doom_Bringer said:
Seriously if Sucker Punch doesn't show anything at the show they will be officially dead to me

You have to give them until the E3 at least... then I agree.

antiloop

Nice screens. I can spot compression artifacts though.

BTW are we hyping up yet another Sony event? I hope they deliver something this time, I don't have hope now that IGN is hyping the event though.. IGN bleh.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
antiloop said:
Nice screens. I can spot compression artifacts though.

BTW are we hyping up yet another Sony event? I hope they deliver something this time, I don't have hope now that IGN is hyping the event though.. IGN bleh.
Yeah, but this event actually exists, and we know for sure we'll see at least videos of new R&C and probably Uncharted as well (from Insomniac podcast).

bud

i was talking about co-op in r&c: tod earlier in the thread. wasn't it confirmed (shane?) that it would have co-op? the interview says sp only, so that's why i asked.

VNZ

Wow, R&C with those visuals @ 60fps and tons of stuff going on will possibly be the most attractive game so far created.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
pswii60 said:
They do share technology, but Insomniac and ND each have their own separate engine this gen, whereas R&C and Jak last gen used modified versions of the same engine.

This is a huge misconception. We have great ties with Naughty Dog, but it was our own engine for Ratchet & Clank, and we did swap some code with ND. But those games were not the "same engine."

bud

jstevenson said:
This is a huge misconception. We have great ties with Naughty Dog, but it was our own engine for Ratchet & Clank, and we did swap some code with ND. But those games were not the "same engine."

can you confirm whether r&c will have co-op or not?

or is that not decided yet?

jstevenson said:

What did your engine look like before you swapped the code? Rachet and Jak engines are very similar and recently the God of War 2 programmer Tim Moss said Naughty Dog made that engine and it was used in R&C.

edit:

We have great ties with Naughty Dog, but it was our own engine for Ratchet & Clank

Tim Moss said:
The engine written by Naughty Dog that was used in Jak and Daxter and Ratchet & Clank is a good example. It's pretty much unrivalled in its performance on the PS2 and has a number of pretty cool bits of tech in it mostly geared around very cool, fast level of detail solutions for rendering.

http://ncroal.talk.newsweek.com/default.asp?item=571269

ahuaahua

The eerie similarities

919902_20041103_screen003.jpg
jak2_041403_01.jpg

Decado

This is probably my most anticipated PS3 game right now (odd for me since I prefer "M" rated titles). Glad to hear they are concentrating on SP (interviewer sounded like an idiot: "but why can't you..." and "but don't you have the architecture...").

Hopefully if the game is awesome as it should be, reviewers won't pan the game for lack of MP.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Doom_Bringer said:
I remember reading in the Game Developer magazine, in an interview with Ted Price, he said they got the background renderer code from ND, and that was used in R&C. Basically only that code if I remember that article correctly. Then they gave ND some pieces of their own code that they though they did well for R&C.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Doom_Bringer said:
Tim Moss is capable of arriving at the same misconception as everyone else. Because, as good as he may be, he still doesn't work for ND or Insomniac and so is still just an outsider looking in. Multiple people from both ND and Insomniac have confirmed they didn't use the same engine, but you want to quote Tim Moss. What a surprise.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
kaching said:
Tim Moss is capable of arriving at the same misconception as everyone else. Because, as good as he may be, he still doesn't work for ND or Insomniac and so is still just an outsider looking in. Multiple people from both ND and Insomniac have confirmed they didn't use the same engine, but you want to quote Tim Moss. What a surprise.

Exactly. We've said in EVERY interview since 2004 that this is a misconception, and Tim Moss must be under it.

Kangu

Banned
jstevenson said:

But they looked so alike! Same kind of texturing, same massive polycounts, same type of particle effects. Not that I don't believe you, but isn't it an unusual coincidence that graphicaly they look damned near identical?

I understand the recurring misconception must be annoying as it paints Insomniac as less than technicaly proficent, when the reality is that you guys have some awesome graphics coders, still, just by looking at screenshots you can't really fault people for falling for it.

~Devil Trigger~ said:

Heavenly Sword
Uncharted
Rachet & Clank
GT5 Prologue
LAIR

Sucker Punch
Zipper Int.
SCJ studios
Guerrila

...are up too

Hmmm

kaching said:

I bet he has friends at Naughty Dog and Insomniac and talks to them a lot! BTW nobody from Naughty Dog said anything about R&C using the same engine, so far only Ted Price and other Insomniac guys have brought it up. Naughty Dog rarely gives interviews....

But what maronelly said makes sense, the background geometry renderer does look the same in both games. It's very impressive

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Phife Dawg said:
These are some sweet looking shots. Look touched up a lot but it'll look great in the end, so no big deal.

Uh, no. We adjust the levels for publication but that's it. That screen looks just the way it did when I captured it.

Wollan

Regarding Gamers Day, will there be a big press conference on Monday or is it more of a daily thing? Maybe just meeting rooms for individual presentations/demonstrations?

Top Bottom