• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Everything we know so far - [Up: Character artwork/descriptions]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
It's called "prerendered backgrounds vs. ingame rendering". XIII was full of that as well.

Seems everything including the character is prerendered in the top picture. :p

It's been confirmed that there have been a mix of CG and real-time in the trailer. A lot of it is CG. For the screens you posted, the top is CG and bottom is real-time.

I figured, but I wanted to believe! The bottom pic looks kind of like ass and more what I would imagine a PS3-up-port to look like.

Apoptomon

-the scenes we saw at E3 are using the current rendering engine, but they will shift to Luminous studio.
There changing engine to Luminous completely, not just for lighting now? Isn't it difficult/time consuming to just up and change like that?
It's called "prerendered backgrounds vs. ingame rendering". XIII was full of that as well.
Pre-rendered scenes as backdrops have a long history with FF, don't they?

Exentryk

some of the things from that dengeki. could be old info

-they mention how XV will just conclude one story, and keeps talking about sequel of XV possbility.
-the actually mention car and world map. Nomura says how when they were developing for PS3, when you speed up the car during the world map, it gave them trouble.
-mentions about co-op and smartphone/tablet support possibilities.
-Nomura wants to make all the scenes which you don't control the character in pre-render CG, but he knows thats not possible. So they are having visual works(the CG team) make the basis for cutscenes and makes that scene in real-time. Its like how they made Agni's Philosophy.
-the scenes we saw at E3 are using the current rendering engine, but they will shift to Luminous studio.
-they are using lens flare for lock-on.
-the summon stuff I talked about earlier
-the theme for the game is "bond"(Kizuna). The main story is serious, but there will be a lot of humor/comedy in the game.
-next info likely in TGS.

Nice! Thanks for this summary! I feel OP needs a summary section from all the news articles, so information like this can be included. I'll get on it tomorrow.

DarkKyo

This may have been answered earlier in the thread, but what is the deal with Noctis' hair? Is it blue or brown, or does it change?

Rpgmonkey

Leviathan looking nice. Interested in seeing what their designs and encounters for Ifrit, Shiva, Bahamut, and probably Odin are this time around.

Right now, I do tend to believe that.

And I didn't say that a possible PC port would do badly. Of course it will bring in money since the game is developed with DX 11 and the port costs will be minimal. But a PC version will hinder console sales, simple as that. And as I said the game does not need to do well, it needs to do FF XIII, VIII, X numbers. The console crowd is the hand feeding SE and I am honestly worried about the future of the franchise.

Well when piracy is brought in it as something that would harm console version sales, it brings up the questions of how many console players have a PC capable of adequately running the game at a level where they're "better off" pirating it, and whether it's better to totally neglect the PC market, or make a PC version and net some extra sales despite pirated copies floating around. I'm not claiming to know the answers to these questions and I don't feel like looking up the data to find out, but I don't think it's good to immediately jump to calling it a bad idea.

My general impression from your posts in this thread is that you think the game is better off from a financial perspective as exclusive to the PS4, but if they want to reach some particularly high sales numbers and convince the gaming industry and fanbase that the company and series is on its way back up, I think they (justifiably) feel one platform may not be enough and are considering all their options.

some of the things from that dengeki. could be old info

-they mention how XV will just conclude one story, and keeps talking about sequel of XV possbility.
-the actually mention car and world map. Nomura says how when they were developing for PS3, when you speed up the car during the world map, it gave them trouble.
-mentions about co-op and smartphone/tablet support possibilities.
-Nomura wants to make all the scenes which you don't control the character in pre-render CG, but he knows thats not possible. So they are having visual works(the CG team) make the basis for cutscenes and makes that scene in real-time. Its like how they made Agni's Philosophy.
-they are using lens flare for lock-on.
-the summon stuff I talked about earlier
-the theme for the game is "bond"(Kizuna). The main story is serious, but there will be a lot of humor/comedy in the game.
-next info likely in TGS.

This info kind of gets me excited. The world map being a real thing on PS4 is amazing considering how lousy XIII and XIII-2 were for exploration.

I hope we get Bahamut as a summon this time around. I'm banking on him being Niflheim's summon, so he might be a plot device like he was in IX, XI, XII and XIV...but I hope we get him, if only because it would be awesome to do a gameplay sequence where you get to fly around on his back and shoot down airships. I hope there's a bunch of summons!

raven777

There changing engine to Luminous completely, not just for lighting now? Isn't it difficult/time consuming to just up and change like that?

thats why I don't expect this game to come out anytime soon.
They are working with Luminous Studio team to make the game and Luminous engine simultaneously(since Luminous Studio is not complete yet)

His design has changed considerably. It's brown now.

I'm really glad they changed it. He actually looks like a person now. I know it's a shallow thing, but the pink hair on Lightning made it impossible for me to take her seriously as a heroine. Her horrible personality just made it worse.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Leviathan looking nice. Interested in seeing what their designs and encounters for Ifrit, Shiva, Bahamut, and probably Odin are this time around.

Well when piracy is brought in it as something that would harm console version sales, it brings up the questions of how many console players have a PC capable of adequately running the game at a level where they're "better off" pirating it, and whether it's better to totally neglect the PC market, or make a PC version and net some extra sales despite pirated copies floating around. I'm not claiming to know the answers to these questions and I don't feel like looking up the data to find out, but I don't think it's good to immediately jump to calling it a bad idea.

My general impression from your posts in this thread is that you think the game is better off from a financial perspective as exclusive to the PS4, but if they want to reach some rticularly high sales numbers and convince the gaming industry and fanbase that the company and series is on its way back up, I think they (justifiably) feel one platform may not be enough and are considering all their options.

Agreed. I think releasing FFs on PC would be quite the precedent. It marks for future installments also being available on PC but also the idea that SE is open to console platforming. Considering how they're developing XV and it's basically for the PC anyway and they're essentially optimizing it for the consoles, what they have on hand is the PC version. Multi-platform is going to be unbelievably easy compared to this current gen. Unless there is no audience on PC, they're not going to miss an opportunity to release it on the PC. LIke I said, there needs to be an audience and reasonable amount of sales that they're expecting.

His design has changed considerably. It's brown now.

You say that but in the boyband art it's blue. LOL.

Hmmm, so was the gameplay trailer all real time though? To be honest, I don't see the massive difference that Jett is talking about anyway. The bottom pic was taken in pretty tumultous motion, while the top was a fairly static scene, so bottom pic the details seem more skewed to me. Either way, in motion it all looked pretty good to me, although needs some polishing. Right now, environments and textures look ace, but the character modelling and detail could be improved, also effects.

DarkKyo

Damn, I miss the blue hair badly. It's what made him Noctis, and it was the most "fantastical" element about him. Boooo

Noctis and Stella have same ability which sense others death, right? So is it relate to Noctis's eye color?
I'm wondering stella can change her eye color too.

DarkKyo

I don't. I'm tired of unrealistic hair color in Final Fantasy.

Maybe you should come up with a series called "Final Reality" then? lol

Besides, you don't know if blue hair is unrealistic for a fantasy-based world. Especially since Noctis had a nice natural looking dark blue color. It didn't look like a dye job.

ironcreed

Banned
What happened to Final Fantasy?

I don't know, it moved on and is trying different things? Each mainline entry is supposed to be different anyway and I can appreciate that. Especially after being burned out on the series for as long as I was. Sometimes something different is just what the doctor ordered for some. As for XV, it looks different yet again and all the more amazing for it.

kayos90

I don't. I'm tired of unrealistic hair color in Final Fantasy.

Well... I haven't met anyone who has hair color like this... so... lol.

AIuClhO.jpg

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
Well when piracy is brought in it as something that would harm console version sales, it brings up the questions of how many console players have a PC capable of adequately running the game at a level where they're "better off" pirating it...

Take a look at people's comments about FF XIII. So many people just played some 10 or 15 hours. It's not a matter of whether or not your PC will be able to max out everything for a 100 hour gameplay, lot's of gamers are simply interested in finding out what the game is all about. The fanbase is grossly fragmented and not as loyal as you and me. FF is not elder scrolls either (which has solid roots in PC gaming).

raven777

by the way, Cor Leonis uses Katana in the battle, and he is 42 years old.

also there are 4 kingdoms in the game, the ones that were mentioned int he trailer.

the Venice looking city is Accord and you travel there after Lucis(where you start)

kayos90

Take a look at people's comments about FF XIII. So many people just played some 10 or 15 hours. It's not a matter of whether or not your PC will be able to max out everything for a 100 hour gameplay, lot's of gamers are simply interested in finding out what the game is all about. The fanbase is grossly fragmented and not as loyal as you and me. FF is not elder scrolls either (which has solid roots in PC gaming).

This comment irks me. It's like saying a game shouldn't come to PC because it has no foundation on said platform. I think people sometimes vastly underestimate the PC market and how many people are willing to play games solely on PC. This year I bought more games on the PC than the PS3 just because I had a PC on hand that gave me a better experience. Yes, not many people have decked out PCs, however, for those who don't own a console or have one, they're going to invest in a game that's released for that platform.

Pachimari

I don't understand what's the world map supposed to be? Is it real time travelling with the card in 3D environments like in Final Fantasy XIV or is the world map akin something to Final Fantasy VIII were you see the map from a top perspective and can thus run to other parts of the world?

Skilletor

This post makes no sense to me.

You know how you build a userbase? By releasing games on that platform.

I don't understand what's the world map supposed to be? Is it real time travelling with the card in 3D environments like in Final Fantasy XIV or is the world map akin something to Final Fantasy VIII were you see the map from a top perspective and can thus run to other parts of the world?
It's akin to FFXII supposedly. I can't say much about what that entails, because I've never played very much of XII.

Zoe

No. He basically said in a previous interview that it didn't look right anymore doing that kind of view.

I wonder how they solved the problem of the airship vs perspective.

DigitalDevilSummoner

I think people sometimes vastly underestimate the PC market and how many people are willing to play games solely on PC.

For the forth time: Stop pretending this is black or white, I am not saying people don't buy games on the PC. I am merely bringing up the very real risk of how many people will buy it on the PC VS the people who will potentially see it a better fit to pirate it.

@ Skilletor And you think it is a good idea to try and build a fanbase by risking your biggest name and biggest production ? Are you forgetting The Last Remnant ?

No. He basically said in a previous interview that it didn't look right anymore doing that kind of view.

I'm willing to hazard a guess that airship flight paths and landing points will be preset. Especially if the whole world is at war, it's not likely you're going to have free flight or the ability to just land anywhere. It would solve the problem of perspective while still allowing you to control the airship and traverse the world in it.

The other option would be to make the AIRSHIP free flight with specific landing spots while keeping the world itself interconnected, similar to how Lost Odyssey did it.

Spongebob

Banned

By having small airships?

That way the perspective would be the same as when driving a car.

Zoe

By having small airships?

That way the perspective would be the same as when driving a car.

Even with small ships, realistically you have to be really high above the ground. The problem was that objects on the ground became too small.

"The other day," he says "I saw a test of an airship flying over the world map. I felt that I was seeing a Final Fantasy-like screen for the first time in a long time. However, the fact that things have become realistic made us concerned about what to do about the scale. It's the same scale as past FF games, but even then, it's so wide that you can't make out the first town."

kayos90

For the forth time: Stop pretending this is black or white, I am not saying people don't buy games on the PC. I am merely bringing up the very real risk of how many people will buy it on the PC VS the people who will potentially see it a better fit to pirate it.

@ Skilletor And you think it is a good idea to try and build a fanbase by risking your biggest name and biggest production ? Are you forgetting The Last Remnant ?

I'm not making this argument black and white. You're argument is that there is a serious risk of whether the title will succeed on the PC and if it's even a worthwhile venture, no? Piracy is an issue, yes. However, the fact still remains that there are other publishers out there who are willing to release titles on the PC despite having a 360 or PS3 version available and the threat of piracy on the PC. SE is no different. They publish Eidos games for the PC as well. If there is money to be made on it why wouldn't they release it on the PC. They're not stupid so they would take piracy into consideration and possibly find ways to minimize piracy. The risk involved in releasing title for the PC is about the same as almost any other multiplatform title.

ZenTzen

I'm willing to hazard a guess that airship flight paths and landing points will be preset. Especially if the whole world is at war, it's not likely you're going to have free flight or the ability to just land anywhere. It would solve the problem of perspective while still allowing you to control the airship and traverse the world in it.

The other option would be to make the AIRSHIP free flight with specific landing spots while keeping the world itself interconnected, similar to how Lost Odyssey did it.

Or they can do it like in Dragon Quest 8 but in larger scale while also havig a free controling airship with predetermined landing spots

Or they can do it like in Dragon Quest 8 but in larger scale while also havig a free controling airship with predetermined landing spots

That's how Lost Odyssey did it, yes. With your ship and airship, the world zoomed out all the way into an "old school" world map, while on-foot navigation was still an interconnected series of locales similar to FFXII.

Zoe

That's how Lost Odyssey did it, yes. With your ship and airship, the world zoomed out all the way into an "old school" world map, while on-foot navigation was still an interconnected series of locales similar to FFXII.

I don't think that (old school) is the direction they want to go in though.

DigitalDevilSummoner

I'm not making this argument black and white. You're argument is that there is a serious risk of whether the title will succeed on the PC and if it's even a worthwhile venture, no? Piracy is an issue, yes. However, the fact still remains that there are other publishers out there who are willing to release titles on the PC despite having a 360 or PS3 version available and the threat of piracy on the PC. SE is no different. They publish Eidos games for the PC as well. If there is money to be made on it why wouldn't they release it on the PC. They're not stupid so they would take piracy into consideration and possibly find ways to minimize piracy. The risk involved in releasing title for the PC is about the same as almost any other multiplatform title.

Alright fair comment. Let's dissect things further: How many of those ports are as huge risks as a game that aims at far more than 5 million copies ?

Eidos' Tomb Raider doesn't exactly come close. Neither does Dark Souls. Of course the risk is nowhere near the same.

Yes, and releasing it on THREE platforms instead of two will help with that.

Already talked about. That's Pachter's way of thinking for Nintendo's IPs and it doesn't exactly have a tight grasp on reality.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Cors shaping up to be my favourite. The guy uses a fucking katana.
And Noctis' hair is dark brown. It's similar to mine actually, as in certain lighting mine gets a blue sheen too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom