• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Everything we know so far - [Up: Character artwork/descriptions]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Why are the character descriptions FFXII quality all of a sudden?

Not that I mind.

Maybe the translators on the project are actually working with a good script this time? lol Or perhaps the translation direction itself is going for a more serious tone as opposed to FFXIII.

ZenTzen

3JhZMDD.jpg

Anyone else think this is going to be the boxart?

i hope not, i'm hoping it'll be like old JP or EU boxart, where its just the white background and the title

Whompa

Not that any of us would know, but I kinda pictured something like the FF12 boxart. Just a big cluster of random things like buildings/airships/portraits and then the title on the top or bottom...not simplistic. But who knows.

Maybe the translators on the project are actually working with a good script this time? lol Or perhaps the translation direction itself is going for a more serious tone as opposed to FFXIII.

Oh those are official synopses?

Well, this is already off to a way better start than that which must be forgotten.

Skilletor

Check the fiscal year and the release dates. And I did provide a break down. 600K life time sales for the 360.

You haven't, though. Since, as you have pointed out to me, this period doesn't account for any PC release. :)

I am surprised that the game sold that well. I had no idea. That's pretty crazy.

In any case, FF15 should come out on PC.

Soriku

Like I said, they're not going to let you fly around a massive city full of skyscrapers and crash into buildings. It would look silly, and Nomura's not going to let that happen.

It's not a question of hardware, it's a question of playability. X is not going to have towns or cities like XV does.

I don't know about cities but XV should still let you fly around fields. Though cities are still possible depending on how expansive they are and how big the airship is. At the very least we should be able to fly above the cities and land even if we're not navigating around buildings and such. X will at least have you fly a mech in fields and probably some dungeons.

Is it just me, or is "Noct" an awkward nickname in English? "Noc" just rolls of the tongue so much more easily, at least for me.

It's Noct but they say "Nocto" which works better. But in English it should be Noc.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Is it just me, or is "Noct" an awkward nickname in English? "Noc" just rolls of the tongue so much more easily, at least for me.

I've said this before. It's most likely Noct because of the pronunciation. It'll be pronounced Noc in the english version but spelled Noct.

FF has a big (fragmented) fanbase on consoles and those aren't going to suddenly jump ship to PC and just pirate it just cuz they can. It's very likely that most of those (who are still around and interested in buying FFXV) are still going to keep playing FF games on consoles, some of those will go the PC Elitist way plus there will be a whole new audience who will want to try a massive game like FFXV since I'm sure it looks interesting even to people who play largely on PCs. It's the same as it was with FFXIII. It was announced multiplatform, people thought PS3 would be done for but in the end a vast majority of people still went with what they are used with (playing FF on Sony's consoles) and got it for PS3.

But even so, one person pirating the game instead of buying it on PS4 is bad for Square and it's bad for Sony. I'm just saying, this is the methodology these kinds of studios use.

In most publishers' eyes, it's better to not even give gamers the option to pirate until it's absolutely necessary or until sales are slowing down. That's why Ubisoft's PC ports are always late.

Why not? I mean, previously on PS3 it probably wouldn't have possible as it might've had a loading screen between cities and fields, but that might've changed to a more seamless world with PS4Bone. I don't think they'd limit flying in cities if that's the case.

It's not about seamlessness. It's about crashing into buildings and it looking patently ridiculous to fly an FF airship around Tokyo or New York City. If you fly through the city and hit a skyscraper, then just bounce harmlessly off of it, it breaks the "reality" Nomura is going for.

That being said, I don't see how a world designed like FFXII's would even work with a full seamless world map, seeing as you literally only see very small, distinct pieces of a very large world during the course of the game. If XV's world is supposed to be a full planet, letting you fly all around it but limiting where you can actually land solely to places where the story takes place makes no sense. They don't have the resources to model an entire planet and make all of it explorable, which is what would have to happen if the airship control is seamless with the normal game world. It would also break the reality of the setting if you're flying over the ocean and suddenly hit an invisible wall because the developers ran out of budget.

The only way it conceivably makes sense to make a fully controllable airship is if it's done Lost Odyssey-style, and even then the world would have to be a lot smaller than we might think. Airships and 3D open world games simply do not mix.

I don't know about cities but XV should still let you fly around fields. Though cities are still possible depending on how expansive they are and how big the airship is. At the very least we should be able to fly above the cities and land even if we're not navigating around buildings and such. X will at least have you fly a mech in fields and probably some dungeons.

Nomura already said that the game is designed so there are no loading times between cities and fields - the transition is entirely seamless. I don't think it's possible to have airships usable in fields but not towns unless the airship map is different from the on-foot map.

FryHole

It's not about seamlessness. It's about crashing into buildings and it looking patently ridiculous to fly an FF airship around Tokyo or New York City. If you fly through the city and hit a skyscraper, then just bounce harmlessly off of it, it breaks the "reality" Nomura is going for.

Nomura already said that the game is designed so there are no loading times between cities and fields - the transition is entirely seamless. I don't think it's possible to have airships usable in fields but not towns unless the airship map is different from the on-foot map.

Could they not simply force a certain flight height once you take off, so movement only occurs in a single horizontal plane that sits above the cities?

I've said this before. It's most likely Noct because of the pronunciation. Most likely it'll be pronounced Noc in the english version but spelled Noct.
Yeah, I mean, that's how it was translated in the trailers, but squeezing that "t" in there feels like a speed bump. "Noct" ends up sounding more like "Nocta" in Japanese, unless I'm mistaken, and Nocta and Gladio probably sound more natural for Japanese speakers since names ending in vowel sounds are more common in Japanese, but both sound sort of wrong compared to what you would expect the nicknames of two guys named Noctis and Gladiolus to be for English speakers (I would assume "Noc" and "Glad".)

As someone who knows a bit of Latin, I'm finding a fair few of the names really jarring and overtly literal in a way I don't really like.

That doesn't mean that Lockhart, Strife etc etc were subtle works of genius, but something about the literal naming plus the Latin, which I take to be a method of appearing more grand, rubs me the wrong way. It's a tiny criticism, but still. I understand this is a non-issue for people with no Latin knowledge, but even then I find the Latin pretty... pompous, I guess? I think some of these names are going to sound mental in English dub with the traditional FF/Japanese cheese to the dialogue.

The story snippets for each character from the bios today sound great, though.

Thoraxes

As someone who knows a bit of Latin, I'm finding a fair few of the names really jarring and overtly literal in a way I don't really like.

That doesn't mean that Lockhart, Strife etc etc were subtle works of genius, but something about the literal naming plus the Latin, which I take to be a method of appearing more grand, rubs me the wrong way. It's a tiny criticism, but still. I understand this is a non-issue for people with no Latin knowledge, but even then I find the Latin pretty... pompous, I guess? I think some of these names are going to sound mental in English dub with the traditional FF/Japanese cheese to the dialogue.

I have kinda the same takeaway you do with regards to the names, and have a background in studying Latin (because yep, old music history everything was in Latin).

With the story though, I like that it's more war focused on larger parties than just the main cast.

kayos90

I studied Latin as well and know a fair bit but I guess I'm on the opposite side a bit. I don't particularly mind it since it's not completely meaningless. There's meaning behind their names and I enjoy that. Not only that but I actually enjoy the ridiculous flair depending on the situation. This is one of them. The complete disregard of grammar does annoy me though. lol.

Go_Ly_Dow

Also that picture goes to show that Lucis hasn't changed in art direction since the early days.

All in the day/night lightning difference.

acmzc9u.jpg

We will still get this awesome :D

kayos90

Just noticed. There's no white on any of the characters in the key visual. It's all black and really dark colors. The screenshot above has at least some white. There's a visual trend here. I liked Prompto with the white since it made him appear more easy going but I guess they're going for that punk bad boy look.

Hedge

Also that picture goes to show that Lucis hasn't changed in art direction since the early days.

All in the day/night lightning difference.

We will still get this awesome :D

That picture always reminds me of Persona 3, which makes it that much more amazing.

Just noticed. There's no white on any of the characters in the key visual. It's all black and really dark colors. The screenshot above has at least some white. There's a visual trend here. I liked Prompto with the white since it made him appear more easy going but I guess they're going for that punk bad boy look.

There's white on Prompto's pants/boot... thing.

Did we ever find out what the special meaning behind the red on the shoe soles is? I remember that it's supposedly an important detail (wall running?)

Thorgal

well these people are all from nobility so having big pompuous names seem pretty normal

And if they don't go around shouting There full names constantly it won't really be a bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom