• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official E3 2007 Nintendo Press Conference Thread

Razoric

Banned
So basically Sony can just pack up their shit and go home. Their Killzone 2 showing destroyed both MS and Sony's conferences. Sony's already won. :lol

yilmazz

:lol @all the people bitching in the IRC chan, I thought the conference was ok.
Of course Miyamoto is presenting Wii fit over galaxy which everbody will buy anyways.

Durante

Future Wii Fit threads should be moved to the Off-Topic forum.
I'm only half joking.

Seriously, some of the announcements weren't even that bad, what ruined the conference for me were those horrendous montages.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Bottom line, that entire conference is not unlike anything you'll see in an infomercial @ 3 in the morning. The whole YouTube montage was overdone and frankly they didnt need to toot their own horn.

Haha, you all are a bunch of bitches. Wii Fit looks fun, I'll be picking it up for sure.

But honestly, we have Metroid, Mario, Smash, Mario Kart in a 7 month period? And you guys are complaining? Insanity.

Wait for more info on that stuff. This press conference is for the press - including the mainstream press. Of course they will use their tent pole casual game as the center piece for their PRESS conference. The hardcore gamers want trailers and hands on impressions of the hardcore games. You'll be getting that for the rest of the week.

So unbunch your panties.

TreIII

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
But, as last year, probably NOW we'll have a lot of screens and trailers. And who knows ? Smash Trailer has been a suprise OUTSIDE the conference, so
maybe we'll see something new this week.

Ye-up.

It's just the way it goes around here.

I mean, you WERE around here last year when they announced the name "Wii", right? Or how about the year before, when the Wii-mote was unveiled?

This is nothing new. People will always find something to complain about...UNTIL they then get a nice surprise, and basically are willing to go back down and kneel before Zod...errr Nintendo once again.

It happened last year with Smash's surprise unveiling after the E3 conference, and I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happens again.

Leonsito

This wasn' an E3 conference for gamers, was the WiiFit introduction for the press, the other things showed were just for filling 90 minutes of show.

Last year they had that awesome Brawl trailer and showed it after the show, I don't understand who decides what things are shown on the stage...

And don't be drama queens guys... each one has different tastes in games, I'm as excited for Killzone 2 as for WiiFit (excitment 0), if you never liked Nintendo don't enter in this thread saying "OMG DISAPPOINTMENTON!"

laserbeam

Banned
Anyone wanna take bets on how fast these people would be banned if they did this in the Sony thread?

But seriously.

the Entire Conference was everything GAF orgasms over so I dont see the whining.

Sales. HUGE Weekly topic of GAF.

Mario galaxy,Smash,metroid,Mario kart.

Then they show 1 little Non Game and the world ends.

I think people forget E3 has totally changed as far as its purpose. Its nothing more then a media event for the press now. gamers are not wanted there as we detract from its "purpose"

Any huge megatons will be after conference event things. Just like Smash was after the conference last year.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Regarding Wii Fit: The LEAST they could have done is showing one of the people on stage getting a good work out from it. Something more high impact aerobics or something.

Kuroyume

Banned
lockii said:
I hate to crash the doom and gloom that GAF so loves to create, but isn't this par for the course? Doesn't this happen practically every year? Miyamoto isn't going to come out dressed as Link, Peter Moore didn't reveal a tattoo, Kutaragi won't be around to tantalize our fantasies.

Wait for the press site before you cry about the imminent death and demise of the industry as we know it.

You're so very predictable. :lol

C4Lukins

evilromero said:
Mario Kart Wii looks amazing. Lots of classic tracks from both the DS and GCN games.

And Wii Fit really impressed me. I was skeptical but now I'm a believer. They better have other Wii games on display, such as Motorsport and Music.

Otherwise, a very boring conference. I would say about on par with the MS one.

The conference was much worse then MS's, but we will see what happens with the rest of E3. Last year they showed all the stuff that would be interesting to us gamers later on. But if the direction they pushed during the conference continues, I doubt even the faithful will stick around for much longer.

Sypher

Banned
I was gung-ho about buying a wii, but now I see that Nintendo would rather my mother buy one instead.

I was right. Nintendo is expanding the market and killing it at the same time.

Nintendo consoles are for Nintendo games. No third party is seriously going to use this board in any real fashion.

LJ11

Honest question; if the Wii Mote is so accessible, why do we need so many peripherals to make it even more accessible?

From 1up:

9:54
Reggie pointing to how puzzle games have bridged boundaries between gamers -- Picross DS: You can create puzzles and share them online.

MySims coming to Wii. "The appeal is immediately approachable."

OH MY GOD
MEGATON
HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL
sadface.gif
-------------------------

9:57
Yep, another video. And what's it about? How awesome Nintendo is. How awesome? So awesome.
--------------------------

9:59
Last game Nintendo's showing today. Wii Fit. Is this seriously the new Miyamoto IP? Gamers everywhere are upset. Pikmin? Mario? Zelda? ANYTHING? Nope.
--------------------------
10:17
That was it. Sam Kennedy: "Oh my god."

I'm gonna go vomit in the bathroom. kthxbye

10:15
"This is Nintendo's moment to lead," says Reggie.

10:13
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IS GOING ON

MAKE IT END

If this is the end of the conference, the Internet might implode. Even Jeremy's upset and he's in the front row, right next to Reggie. That's some serious shit.
---------------------------

:lol :lol :lol GG.

ziran

Phantom Hourglass, MP3, SBB, SMG, Mario Kart and Wii Fit all looked AMAZING!!! :D

Especially Mario Galaxy!!! WOW!!! Looked stunning!!! The Bee costume = :)

Amazing line-up, can't wait to play them, and the Zapper looks like it's going to be loads of fun!

Oh, and if nothing appealed to you from this Press Conference, and you own a Wii, I suggest you sell it now, seriously. Nintendo has left you behind and isn't coming back.

Jim

Press Releases ahoy:

The world used to be divided into two camps: gamers and non-gamers. In the first group: young men. In the second: everyone else. Then came Wii(TM) and Nintendo DS(TM).

The remarkable Wii Remote(TM) and touch screen and voice recognition of Nintendo DS removed the barriers to entry and put video games into the hands of young women, moms, dads and grandparents. Gamers now find they have a whole new population of people willing to join them in their gaming passion. At its media briefing today at the E3 Media & Business Summit in Santa Monica, Calif., Nintendo announced multiple new games and accessories designed to reinforce that bridge and further demonstrate everyone is a gamer.

"Games like Wii Sports and the original Brain Age proved anyone can pick up a video game system and immediately have fun," says Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. "We're building on that foundation with games and accessories appealing to our current fan base and drawing in even more new players."

New games and accessories not only demonstrate that Nintendo is not going to coast on its momentum, but they also show how the power and versatility of Nintendo's systems have only just begun to be explored. What might the future bring? These are the kinds of "what-if" questions firing the imaginations of consumers when Nintendo dares to explore them. For now, the following is a roundup of Nintendo's major announcements.

Wii
-- Wii Fit(TM): This experience builds on the active-play phenomenon
started by Wii Sports(TM). It comes packed with the pressure-sensitive
Wii Balance Board (name not final) that measures users' actions in fun
aerobic, toning and balance activities. Wii Fit also promotes
communication about health among family members, as everyone can review
one another's progress on a new channel on the Wii Menu. Coming in the
first half of 2008.
-- Mario Kart(R) Wii (name not final): Nintendo's classic racing franchise
goes online. It launches with the Wii Wheel(TM) (name not final), a
steering wheel housing for the Wii Remote that lets veterans and
newcomers compete together. Launches globally in early 2008.
-- Super Mario Galaxy(TM): This amazing achievement by legendary Nintendo
game designer Shigeru Miyamoto inspires awe with its amazing sense of
gravity and fun replayability. Launches Nov. 12.
-- Wii Zapper(TM) (name not final): This unit houses both a Wii Remote and
a Nunchuk(TM) and comes packaged with Nintendo software to show off its
applications. Third-party developers have multiple games in the
pipeline that will use this dynamic new interface. Launches 2007.
-- Check Mii Out Channel (name not final): This free Wii channel builds on
the phenomenon of people creating fun Mii(TM) caricatures. Now people
can show off Miis they have created either on their own or for
Nintendo-suggested competitions. Coming in 2007.
-- Super Smash Bros.(R) Brawl: New characters, new moves and new arenas
highlight this highly anticipated game, which launches Dec. 3.
-- Metroid(R) Prime 3: Corruption: The precision aim of the Wii Remote and
Nunchuk make this one of the best-controlled first-person games ever.
Launches Aug. 27.
-- Third-Party Support: Wii has nearly 100 titles in the works from every
major publisher.

Nintendo DS
-- Brain Age(TM) 2: More Training in Minutes a Day!: This brain-training
game offers more than a dozen new brain-stimulating activities that
challenge the mind. Launches Aug. 20.
-- The Legend of Zelda(R): Phantom Hourglass: This first Zelda game for
Nintendo DS can be played with the stylus and sets a new standard for
the graphics capabilities and immersive play of this system. In Japan,
the game launched in late June and is selling well to both avid and
casual gamers, including female players. Launches Oct. 1.
-- Flash Focus(TM): Vision Training in Minutes a Day: This program is
designed to help users sharpen their "Focus Power" through a series of
fun activities and sports challenges that test hand-eye coordination,
reaction time and peripheral vision. Launches Oct. 15.
-- Third-Party Support: DS has more than 140 titles in the works from
every major publisher.

Falch

What a disappointment.

Where are:
Nights?
Disaster Day of Crisis
Wii Motorsport
Final Fantasy Wii

Why so little of Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, SSBB and Mario Kart?

Meh, I don't think there's one wii-game worth getting in 2007 for us European, if (or is that when) Mario Galaxy is a 2008 title.

Tiktaalik

Only good thing about the conference: BEE SUIT MARIO. Best suit since Tanooki? Sources say yes.

Fact is that the conference was pathetic. The only new game they announced was Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit and both were heavily hinted at and sort of known already. Everything else is already out in Japan or we knew about already. Zelda DS? It's already out in Japan, there are tons of in depth previews, we know it's good. Move along!

Damn horrible show.

Ravager61

Anyone who thinks Nintendo did worse than Microsoft is out of their mind. At least Nintendo actually showed some new games. All Microsoft showed was the same old stuff, and they showed it poorly (not that what they showed looked poor but the demos themselves were kinda lame, especially COD4).

Dartastic

Aristotlekh said:
-Mario Kart is good again instead of that Double Dash shit.

Dude. Mario Kart had basically nothing shown. And what WAS shown were tracks from the DS VERSION. HOW IS PLAYING A GAME I'VE BEEN PLAYING FOR OVER A YEAR ON A HOME CONSOLE WITH WAGGLE GOOD. It's NOT.

PleoMax

Banned
Shawn was right. Look at the Wii cult defending this shit, some even say Wii fit looks great.

All hope is lost for you. Last time i'm giving a shit about what nintendo does.

*leaves*

Haunted

No Waverace, no Animal Crossing, no Pilotwings, no Wii Motorsports, no tangible Wiiware announcements, no new Zelda, no Fire Emblem, no Demo Channel, no Wii Music... *sigh* I probably expected too much.

Mario Kart Wii is just too small of a consolation, though.

Rezbit said:
So, after that debacle........

.....who wants to spoon? Just putting it out there....
I'm actually sorry I convinced you to stay up. :lol It's not that the content was bad per se, but the presentation of the hardcore games was just lacking + I expected more than just one new awesome game announced.

Adumaha said:
At the rate this is going, Sony's conference will probably go like this:

Announcer: Attention, a small dog, not unlike Lassie was just run over in the parking lot

Kaz: Who's ready to hear about the PS3?

Audience: That poor dog

Kaz: I said, who's ready to hear about the PS3???

Audience: Quiet you awful awful man
wtf? :lol :lol

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
kammy said:
THIS IS ****ING SHIT

**** IFF NINTENDO

YOU TRAITORS

I ****ING BOUGHT THE GC AND MARIO KART DD TO SUPPORT YOU ****ERS.

THIS IS HOW YOU REPAY YOUR FANS?

NEWSFLASH - YOUR NEW AUDIENCE DOESNT WATCH E3.

ENJOY YOUR NEW LIFE.

PS - DONT COME RUNNING BACK WHEN YOU GET DUMPED WHEN YOUR NEW AUDIENCE GETS BORED

IM GOING TO BUY A WII BUT ONLY TO PLAY GALAXY, BRAWL AND MARIO KART

**** YOU IWATA YOU TRAITOROUS ****. GO BACK TO HAL.

Worst E3 ever. Worse than Sony 2006

I'm suicidal. :(

4uy8xhf.gif

mj1108

chemicals said:
I'm starting to think that E3 has truly changed.. Nintendo never reveals much at E3 anyway.. but damn.. Microsoft's conference was a bust too. Sony could mop up with the price drop announcement and a couple of interesting reveals.

In past conferences, they'd always show a montage of games for each system....this time we got nothin'.

I'm surprised we didn't get one for the DS.....

psy18

Wow SMG looks super super super.
Metroid seems good, need to check the control first...
and Mario Kart... hmmm...

They didn't tell the WiiFit pad pricing.... but I might not bother with that anyway.

On the conference:
They should really ditch those NPD graphs and "gamers expansion" thing. We have GAF already for those kind of things...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The games that were actually shown were great - Mario Galaxy was absolutely gorgeous, Mario Kart looks nice and similar to the best part of the series, Zelda PH of course looks great, Metroid Prime 3 seems to be on par woth the previous two installments and wii fit looks really fun. But the showed not a single new game baring Mario Kart which is going to be released during the first quarter of 2008. So I wonder when they are going to announce the line-up for the rest of 08. One can't say Nintendo was forgetting the core audience as the only game not formerly announced on the show was Mario Kart, but as it stands there are no games for either DS or Wii left for quarters 2 to 4 made by Nintendo which is really strange. Nevertheless I want new footage for Super Mario Galaxy! Now!

DyTonic

Banned
The point they made WiiFit their main focus is sad because 3rd party developers will start making those types of games as well.

DrXym

I gave the presenation the benefit of doubt because I don't like the Wii, but upon reflection it really was a pretty sucky conference. It seems Nintendo is relying on plastic bits of crap to shift consoles as much actual games and there wasn't much to see of them either.

fugimax

Good press conference from Nintendo in terms of their goals as a company.

The point of a press conference is to get the people who don't normally pay attention, to pay attention, and to inform them about what's relevant. Hardcore gamers and game journalists don't need an hour-long event to spell out strategy and available games ... that's basically our pleasure / their job.

As far as Nintendo's lineup itself, it's balanced. The press conference heavily focused on the casual stuff in their sales numbers, value propositions, and footage shown ... but, game for game, the lineup looks good to me..

Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3
Mario Kart Wii Online
Phantom Hourglass
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
Online EA games
WiiFit

I look at that list and don't feel like Nintendo has abandoned the "core" gamer. The press conference was not meant for the core gamer ... like I said before, we live in this stuff, and it's a waste of opportunity for Nintendo to target their conference at us.

Edit: Nintendo can just throw up some trailers for smash, mario kart, and super mario galaxy and we'd be satisfied.

Durante

Leonsito said:
if you never liked Nintendo don't enter in this thread saying "OMG DISAPPOINTMENTON!"
The thing is, a lot of those complaining (including me) really did like Nintendo at some point.

actually, thinking about it more, it kinda sucked because this was foreshadowing the death of the DS, they showed nothing new for it other than more nongames (Vision Training FTW tho).

I didnt mind that the conference was a nongame fest, whatever, this is where Nintendo is going, atleast they showed Mario Kart and it looks amazing, thats more than I was expecting.

also, later this week there will be more info and such.

Eid

This marks the end of the old Nintendo. If they had foreseen the success of the Wii, I doubt they would even start the development of SMG, MP, or SSBB.

seat

Chris Michael said:
pfffft **** no

AT LEAST MS SHOWED SOME REAL DAMN GAMES
Yeah, but they didn't show anything new. Or at least anything new worth mentioning. Nintendo's conference was still better, but not by a lot from a core gamer's perspective. I'm hoping Sony really puts on an awesome show today (they really really need to, or they're totally ****ed).

I was let down by Nintendo's conference, but at least we got definitive dates a few of the big games.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
SeatBelts said:
To all n-fans: enjoy playing zelda, mario, and metroid for the next 50 years cause that's about as much hardcore gaming you'll be getting from nintendo :lol

Ya, 3 of the greatest franchises in the history of games. Woe is me. :(

Top Bottom