• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo 3 E3 Campaign Trailer

3rdman

Striker said:
No on-line co-op is quite disappointing. If games like Gears and Crackdown has it, and works well, why not Halo 3?

I'd like to hear a reason why they wouldn't include it, to be honest.

On the other stuff:

Elephant sounds very neat. A transport type of machinery. I wonder if it can be blown up and if it can only carry Mongoose.

I wish I could see the visuals of the Elites. I think they'll be awesome. I still will use a Spartan. :)
Well, it seems that the campaign maps are HUGE and they'd have to artificially keep your team together to further the story along. Personally, I'm not worried...Even if its not there at launch, it'll be there shortly thereafter. I'm quite sure that they too would want to implement it.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
cjelly said:
I was going to say the same thing.

I have a horrible feeling if XBL Co-op isn't there on day one, and is made available as DLC at a later date then it would be chargeable. And that would, seriously. Really, really, really suck ass.

(But I would still buy it. :lol )
Whatever. If you think of the scale of Halo 3 then you will realize that they must have worked really hard to get coop online. IMO I would value it for more then 20 bucks.

Pastry

Banned
Striker said:
No on-line co-op is quite disappointing. If games like Gears and Crackdown has it, and works well, why not Halo 3?

On the other stuff:

Elephant sounds very neat. A transport type of machinery. I wonder if it can be blown up and if it can only carry Mongoose.

I wish I could see the visuals of the Elites. I think they'll be awesome. I still will use a Spartan. :)

Try reading the thread?
They talk about how hard it is to get a game of this scale working in online co-op in the article. Basically, getting it working where one guy has a loaded warthog (with three other Marines - troop 'Hog FTW) a mile away from the other is extremely tough when there's the kind of combat Halo is known for going on. Crackdown pulls it off, but there's virtually no persistence to the world and no really sophisticated AI to consider. I'm sure if Bungie can swing it, then it will be there. I sure as hell want it.

3rdman said:
Well, it seems that the campaign maps are HUGE and they'd have to artificially keep your team together to further the story along. Personally, I'm not worried...Even if its not there at launch, it'll be there shortly thereafter. I'm quite sure that they too would want to implement it.

Thats the thing, they might want to, but it sounds like they also don't want to restrict the players and cramp the Halo style so they just might not do it at all.

raYne

Wollan said:
The hammer sounds absolutely awesome. If I understood it correctly it's a standard (non special event) weapon you can pick up and you can flip over vehicles by hitting them at the right moment?
Yeah, it's a "standard" weapon, but I wouldn't expect it to be plentiful in MP. Each Brute Chieftan carries one though, so you'll use it quite a bit in SP/co-op.

It creates a shockwave when you swing it. So it does radial damage instead of direct contact like the usual melee weapons. Repels grenades, sends vehicles flying and probably does the same to people.

Striker said:
Meaning? I can see them just fine. :D

Striker said:

There's been a few posted, but they don't make me feel any better about the situation. :(

godhandiscen said:
Whatever. If you think of the scale of Halo 3 then you will realize that they must have worked really hard to get coop online. IMO I would value it for more then 20 bucks.

Like I said, I'd pay 60. I don't want to, but I would.

raYne said:
Yeah, it's a "standard" weapon, but I wouldn't expect it to be plentiful in MP. Each Brute Chieftan carries one though, so you'll use it quite a bit in SP/co-op.

It creates a shockwave when you swing it. So it does radial damage instead of direct contact like the usual melee weapons. Repels grenades, sends vehicles flying and probably does the same to people.

I wonder if the brute shotgun can counter it like the human one can

Dirtbag

Striker said:

On the other stuff:

It's got to be scale and ai vs. lag.

Gears has an average of 5-10 enemies with advanced AI on screen at once in single player, that doesn't seem to eat up too much bandwith. Crackdown lagged to shit for me, so I don't know if thats a great example to be using. I guess just the sheer size of Halo 3 has got to be too much to send over the net without choking. Maybe they'll iron it out and include it, and it'll run great once we get fiber to the house run.

Maybe if there were dedicated servers.... who knows.

GhaleonEB said:
They talk about how hard it is to get a game of this scale working in online co-op in the article. Basically, getting it working where one guy has a loaded warthog (with three other Marines - troop 'Hog FTW) a mile away from the other is extremely tough when there's the kind of combat Halo is known for going on. Crackdown pulls it off, but there's virtually no persistence to the world and no really sophisticated AI to consider. I'm sure if Bungie can swing it, then it will be there. I sure as hell want it.

Like my friend MattXtraGay brought up to me via text message...Halo: CE's combat teleported you to checkpoints when your co-op partner reaches them. If Bungie has to do that to include Online Co-Op in Halo 3, then by all means, please do so. It wouldn't bother me one bit. As long as it makes it in the game.

raYne said:
Wait.. New team-up Banshee jacking maneuver ftw?

:D

AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

FASTBALL SPECIAL FTW!!!!

MY BRAIN!!! MY ****ING BRAIN!!!!

AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

250px-Astonishingfastball.jpg

Holy shit!!!!!!

Also, that
batting back grenade shit? HOLY ****ING SHIT!!!!

godhandiscen said:
IMO I would value it for more then 20 bucks.
That just makes me want to weep even more... stop giving those companies that would beat you to death with DLC payments ideas! (No, I don't mean Bungie).

GhaleonEB

Eveyone seems to have missed something HUGE.

"
...and since the story follows the Master Chief from beginning to end, co-op is the only way to play as the Arbiter.
"

I'm kind of mixed on that, but I'm sure lots of people are going to be ecstatic.

Has anyone found confirmation yet if the Arbiter will be playable outside of co-op (and MP)? I think what they've done is a good compromise since people who love the Arbiter will still get to play as him, and those who dislike him aren't forced to.

:lol @ Ghaleon, thanks for answering my question!

ToyMachine228 said:
Like my friend MattXtraGay brought up to me via text message...Halo: CE's combat teleported you to checkpoints when your co-op partner reaches them. If Bungie has to do that to include Online Co-Op in Halo 3, then by all means, please do so. It wouldn't bother me one bit. As long as it makes it in the game.

Very good point, I loved that in Halo 1. Me and my friend would just race to the spawn point because the first one who gets there has a easy kill on the other guy and then we'd keep killing each other. Its pretty fun on elevators as they might get stuck on the side of the wall, thus saving themselves from a blow to the back of the head and then drop down and kill you.

SpudBud

GhaleonEB said:

"
...and since the story follows the Master Chief from beginning to end, co-op is the only way to play as the Arbiter.
"

I'm kind of mixed on that, but I'm sure lots of people are going to be ecstatic.
**** ya!
As much as I like the Arbiter, I'd much rather play as the Chief.

GhaleonEB

CreepingDea7h said:
Has anyone found confirmation yet if the Arbiter will be playable outside of co-op (and MP)? I think what they've done is a good compromise since people who love the Arbiter will still get to play as him, and those who dislike him aren't forced to.

:lol @ Ghaleon, thanks for answering my question!
Holy shit, that was unreal. A couple hundred posts on the article and we stack together like that. :lol

raYne

sableholic said:
I wonder if the brute shotgun can counter it like the human one can
Doubtful. It probably won't have the impact since it's weaker than the human version. Might need to double it up in that case.

BenjaminBirdie said:
AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

FASTBALL SPECIAL FTW!!!!

MY BRAIN!!! MY ****ING BRAIN!!!!

AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!
:lol

godhandiscen

GhaleonEB said:

"
"

Having 2 360 has never made me so happy. I will start a system link coop game and let the chief die. Then play in the other 360 with the Arbiter.

Come on Bungie make the Arbiter an unlockable character.

I hope the elephant appears in single player. Imagine an elephant and a scarab in the same battle with hundreds of solders and smaller vehicles in the field.

I'm seeing lots of good stuff in this thread. 4 player co-op online would've been my dream, even system link, but 2 players will have to suffice. However, Jeff Bell shouldn't be interviewed again for his confusing statements regarding Halo 3 co-op if the game does not ship with 4 player co-op.

GhaleonEB said:

"
"

I'm not too concerned because they say
that his story will be more fleshed out and done better than in halo 2, that and I didn't think there was enough reason to play as him in the 2nd game as it really wasn't that different besides the color change.

3rdman

ToyMachine228 said:
Somehow I think they're just being dramatic...They MUST know what an important feature it is to keep from the community. What is really odd is that they discuss co-op as a lock for system link and if that is the case, does taking it online change anything about co-op? In sys link, you can still be a mile apart, so whats the difference?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
They said that they parked their Elephant next to the other's base. I wonder if there's a control room where someone has to steer it? How awesome would that be, if you job was to drive the elephant around? I wonder if you see out through a little window, or you have a digital viewscreen? Or even if you can see at all.

This Elephant thing sounds so awesome. :D

Wait, can anyone confirm that FORGE works with singleplayer maps as well as multiplayer ones?

And can anyone elaborate on the Jenga thing mentioned in the article?

Striker

raYne said:
You bastard! :(

Pastry said:
Try reading the thread?
Yeah? Convenient for you to say that considering it was posted three minutes before I submitted mine (which means I was in the process of posting). Bravo, two thumbs up!

Digital Limit said:
Wait, can anyone confirm that FORGE works with singleplayer maps as well as multiplayer ones?

And can anyone elaborate on the Jenga thing mentioned in the article?

Basically they stacked a lot of objects and then started pulling out parts one by one was the jist of it that I gathered from the hard to readness. More specifically they stacked a ton of fusion coils and if you dropped one the whole thing blew up. The singleplayer maps thing I didn't see

Stinkles said:
The panic in this thread about a feature that may or may not be in the game is amusing.

... wait a second Forge isn't confirmed to be in the final game? say it isn't so or did you just quote the wrong discussion and really meant co-op online?

3rdman

Stinkles said:
The panic in this thread about a feature that may or may not be in the game is amusing.
Amusing to someone who already knows the answer...It must be the same as when God laughs at us for not figuring out cancer yet, huh?

:p

godhandiscen

Stinkles said:
So Forge is not confirmed?
3rdman said:
Amusing to someone who already knows the answer...It must be the same as when God laughs at us for not figuring out cancer yet, huh?

That was epic.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Stinkles said:

OMG I"M DYING OVER HERE PLEASE TELL ME NOW OR I DON'T KNOW HOW I WILL GO ON.

Proelite

3rdman said:

Are you implying that Stinkles is not the one and only true GOD?

Dirtbag

I saw scans... I know, I'm naughty..

but i see another weapon in the shots!!! Looks like a blue plasma flamethrower thing.. it looks hot!

edit:and don't ask where please, I'm not getting banned for anybody.

Stinkles said:
You quote a guy talking about forge but all the panic is over online coop. Either you quoted the wrong guy or you want to see us all squirm some more. :S

Top Bottom