• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/9 - 7/15

(Wii) Nintendo Super Paper Mario 442,017
(Wii) Nintendo Fire Emblem Goddess of the Dawn 141,279
(360) Trusty Bell ~ Chopin's Dream ~ 43,592
(360) FromSoft Enchanted Arms 20,233
(PS3) Ubisoft Enchant Arm 14,417

Super Paper Mario did very well and still is I must add.

P.S. Speaking of next-gen RPGs, whatever happened to that one Xbxo 360 RPG that was going to come out? It was cell-shaded. I think it was called True Story or True Fantasy or something like that. It was going to be online too.

Innotech

Banned
test_account said:
True that Wii is on a roll, no doubt about that, but when you said "it outsold Folksoul" it sounded like it was a big accomplishment or suprise. Thats why i commented that DQ is so popular that its no suprise that it outsold Folksoul. Dunno if that was what you ment tho.

Blue Dragon and Trusty Bell are indeed new IPs, but the developers of these 2 games have much better history in creating RPGs and these 2 games where much more anticipated and wanted. So its not just because of a new IP of course, its other factors too, like whos making the game etc.

By the way, Folksoul isnt exactly a "true" RPG like Blue Dragon and Trusty bell? I havnt played any of them, but i'm under the impression that Folksoul is more of an action RPG, while Blue Dragon and Trusty bell are more traditional RPGs where you walk around and talk to people etc. Correct me if i'm wrong. Does PS3 have any traditional RPGs yet?

well it has Disgaea 3

carlos

LanceStern said:
P.S. Speaking of next-gen RPGs, whatever happened to that one Xbxo 360 RPG that was going to come out? It was cell-shaded. I think it was called True Story or True Fantasy or something like that. It was going to be online too.

True fantasy live online, I believe you mean; originally slated for xbox1, cancelled by level 5, no idea if it'll resurface some day or if its assets are being used for other games.

the game to get the PS3 jumpstarted agaiin in Japan - if it's not Metal Gear Solid 4 or Gran Turismo 5 - is without a doubt Final Fantasy XIII.

When I think about it,

It's a rock and hard place for 3rd party Japanese developers: either they could make a high budget next-generation game and release it to absurdly low sales on the 360 or PS3, or they could take a big risk, lower production costs and put it on the Wii at the great risk of it being ignored for more non-traditional, casual games for the market.

The only way I see them making a profit is with wiimakes to get a small buck, which even then is risky because the games they are remaking never sold well to begin with, and people are going to recognize the quality of the title.

Really all they can do right now is make Nintendo DS titles, and then take the chance of releasing new IPs or ground-up titles for the Wii using their recognized franchises. If they want to make money... until then, Japanese developers are in a sticky situation unless their name is Namco/Bandai or SquareEnix (nope, Capcom can't do anything next-gen there right now), because the games just won't sell well otherwise on any of the consoles.

P.S. - Thank you Carlos, that was the game

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
alske said:
More on topic, does media create or enterbrain publish information on their methods apart from "we poll retailers"? I'm curious what kind of coverage these Japanese tracking firms have.

Both have VASTLY higher coverage than NPD.

Jokeropia

test_account said:
Its the game itself you must look at, it doesnt matter if its 3rd party 2nd party or 1st part made as long as its fun. I dont think people go into the store and say "hey, this is a 3rd party game, i cant buyit because all 3rd party games automaticly sux!". Point is that DQ is mega popular. Are anyone suprised that a DQ game sold more than Folksoul?
It's a DQ spinoff. DQ spinoffs don't always get good sales no matter what. In fact, 300k first week is better than any DQ spinoff has done on a Playstation platform.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
It's a DQ spinoff. DQ spinoffs don't always get good sales no matter what. In fact, 300k first week is better than any DQ spinoff has done on a Playstation platform.

True that, but still, its DQ. It has a much better chance to do better than a "unknown" action RPG for PS3 and as mentioned, Wii installbase is 2 million larger than PS3, also much bigger chance for more copies to be sold. If someone was suprised that DQS sold more than Folksoul i will respect that, but in my opinion its no suprise.

Jokeropia said:

*cough cough*

Dragon Quest Monster: Joker 1,332,775

*cough cough*

:D Yes I know that's biased :D

I hope people don't find it funny that DQS outsold Folksoul for PS3. There was no way it WASN'T going to outsell it, so why brag with that?

LanceStern said:
(Wii) Nintendo Fire Emblem Goddess of the Dawn 141,279
(360) Trusty Bell ~ Chopin's Dream ~ 43,592
(360) FromSoft Enchanted Arms 20,233
(PS3) Ubisoft Enchant Arm 14,417

Ummm. Your thinking about #3, Trusty Bell.

Do those numbers include bundles? Last time I saw a famitsu chart, it had X360's TB week # 3k sales, and I assume that didn't include bundles...but who knows.

Can you give us the complete famitsu chart, or what?

Jokeropia

test_account said:
True that, but still, its DQ. It has a much better chance to do better than a "unknown" action RPG for PS3 and as mentioned, Wii installbase is 2 million larger than PS3, also much bigger chance for more copies to be sold. If someone was suprised that DQS sold more than Folksoul i will respect that, but in my opinion its no suprise.
Sure, I'm just taking issue with the "DQ always sells" sentiment.
LanceStern said:
*cough cough*

Dragon Quest Monster: Joker 1,332,775

*cough cough*
DQ Monsters Joker is on the DS which is not a Playstation platform.

Mr Killemgood said:
Ummm. Your thinking about #3, Trusty Bell.

Do those numbers include bundles? Last time I saw a famitsu chart, it had X360's TB week # 3k sales, and I assume that didn't include bundles...but who knows.

Can you give us the complete famitsu chart, or what?

No my list doesn't count bundles, I don't do bundles well. Ask donny
Only time its been in Famitsu Top 30: 2007/06/11 - 06/17

01. (DS / Nintendo) Observation Training - 67.375 / 252.531
02. (360 / BandaiNamco) Trusty Bell: Chopin's Dream - 43.592 / 43.592
03. (PS3 / Tecmo) Ninja Gaiden Sigma - 40.886 / 40.886
04. (Wii / Nintendo) Wii Sports - 31.211 / 1.620.205
05. (DS / Nintendo) Brain Training 2 - 24.278 / 4.434.509
06. (DS / Nintendo) More English Training - 22.847 / 325.333
07. (Wii / Nintendo) Wii Play - 19.048 / 1.276.006
08. (DS / Nintendo) New Super Mario Bros. - 17.547 / 4.569.739
09. (DS / Nintendo) Brain Training - 16.947 / 3.362.772
10. (PS2 D3 Publisher) Hisshou Pachislot Neo Genesis Evangelion - 16.542 / 81.728
11. (DS / Nintendo) Ouendan 2 - 15.725 / 144.689
12. (DS / Nintendo) English Training - 14.932 / 1.841.634
13. (DS / Nintendo) Mario Kart DS - 14.792 / 2.219.123
14. (PS3 / Spike) Call of Duty 3 - 14.117 / 14.117
15. (DS / Nintendo) Animal Crossing - 13.176 / 4.156.810
16. (PSP / BandaiNamco) Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai 2 - 13.116 / 55.104
17. (PSP / S-E) Final Fantasy II - 11.648 / 45.627
18. (DS / Hudson) Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan - 11.609 / 237.370
19. (DS / Level 5) Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village - 11.080 / 568.315
20. (Wii / Nintendo) Super Paper Mario - 10.633 / 433.784
21. (DS / Pokemon) Pokemon Diamond/Pearl - 10.612 / 5.173.883
22. (DS / Nintendo) Yoshi's Island DS - 9.821 / 771.152
23. (Wii / Capcom) Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition - 8.924 / 73.535
24. (DS / Nintendo) General Knowledge Training - 8.877 / 1.435.457
25. (DS / BandaiNamco) Kekkaishi: Tale of the Raven Forest - 8.662 / 65.632
26. (DS / IE Institute) 200 Mannin no Kanken: Tokoton Kanji Nou - 7.574 / 457.497
27. (DS / Nintendo) Kurikin: Nano Island Story - 7.394 / 50.256
28. (Wii / Marvelous Int.) Harvest Moon: Tree of Peace - 7.236 / 25.969
29. (Wii / Nintendo) Big Brain Academy Wii - 7.145 / 181.598
30. (DS / Capcom) Phoenix Wright 4 - 7.121 / 444.283

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
LanceStern said:
I think success might have been too strong of a word.

+ It sold 300k, which based off gamesradar analysis, it has ALREADY broken even in profit.
+ It is the highest selling 3rd party Wii game to date, and doing what most DS games (with a userbase 6 times that of Wii) did not do, which break 300k. It did this in the first week of sales. Quickly and already-ally becoming the best 3rd party seller over GCN's Naruto...

Yea, success definitely was too harsh a word. It is a success simply by selling so much in one week.

I don't know what the word is I'm looking for. I'll have to wait for second week numbers, to deem it.... (Whatever word I'm looking for).

And by sticking to my prediction, I mean LTD guys. Of course my first week/month/year is off the numebrs don't lie

P.S. Don't ban me Dragona please.
P.P.S. Yes I am trying noiw to think before I post and make sure my emotions aren't posting for me. A 5 minute wait always helps too.

Sorry, but..

What the hell is wrong with you?

test_account

XP-39C²
LanceStern said:
* Famitsu

Dragon Quest Swords has done well. I believe it's outsold MOST DQ spinoffs' LTD with its first week of sales

Thanks for the numbers :)

EDIT: By the way, are that first week sales or LTD?

donny2112

jarrod said:
Happen to have the data? I wouldn't mind seeing how all the new gen RPGs are doing comparably... throw in Super Paper Mario and Fire Emblem too.

januswon's thread is good for 360 data. (Famitsu) There is also Dalthien's combined 360/PS3/Wii thread. (MC and Famitsu) There's also Moor-Angol's site with all the systems. (Famitsu)

Using Moor-Angol's data,

360:
Blue Dragon - 191508
Trusty Bell - 43592
Culdcept Saga - 27494
Enchanted Arms - 20233
FFXI - 15754
Tengai Makyou Ziria: Harkuanaru Jipang - 4944
Spectral Force 3 - 2532
Absolute: Blaze Infinity - 2064

Total: 308,121

PS3:
Enchanged Arms - 35790
FolkSoul - 16629

Total: 52,419

Total PS360 RPGs: 360,540

I think DQ:Swords will have a down week next week because Square-Enix undershipped again, but it should pass up that total in two weeks. There are definitely some missing weeks in that data, though.

Edit:
Forgot Wii.

Wii:
Pokemon Battle Revolution - 258439
Fire Emblem - 141279

Total: 399,718

Super Paper Mario is listed as "Action," and its sales are 441,017.

Japanese sales trackers include bundled software in the charts. They only mention how much bundled hardware was sold in their writeups elsewhere on the page, and, as such, we don't have reliable numbers for it.

NPD does not include bundled software. Charttrack/Gfk include software bundled at the store level, but not software bundled in the box.

Hope that helps.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
My biggest question with Swords is how much replay value it has. It's a pretty short game, so if there's no point to play it after beating it, you might see a lot of them on sale used soon.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
donny2112 said:
januswon's thread is good for 360 data. (Famitsu) There is also Dalthien's combined 360/PS3/Wii thread. (MC and Famitsu) There's also Moor-Angol's site with all the systems. (Famitsu)

Using Moor-Angol's data,

360:
Blue Dragon - 191508
Trusty Bell - 43592
Culdcept Saga - 27494
Enchanted Arms - 20233
FFXI - 15754
Tengai Makyou Ziria: Harkuanaru Jipang - 4944
Spectral Force 3 - 2532
Absolute: Blaze Infinity - 2064

Total: 308,121

PS3:
Enchanged Arms - 35790
FolkSoul - 16629

Total: 52,419

Total PS360 RPGs: 360,540

I think DQ:Swords will have a down week next week because Square-Enix undershipped again, but it should pass up that total in two weeks. There are definitely some missing weeks in that data, though.
Culdcept is not an RPG.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
Sure, I'm just taking issue with the "DQ always sells" sentiment.DQ

It seems that most DQ games have done pretty well tho :) But true, i didnt mean sell like crazy just because its DQ, i know spin-offs can "fail" sometimes. I think some Final Fantasy spin-offs didnt do too well either. Is there a DQ chart like the ones with Mario and Zelda (graphs with mario and Zelda figures, if you know which i mean)?

GreenGlowingGoo said:
My biggest question with Swords is how much replay value it has. It's a pretty short game, so if there's no point to play it after beating it, you might see a lot of them on sale used soon.

There is an impression thread here on NeoGAF. I just read through some posts fast and from what i've read it seems that the game does have replay value.

test_account said:
Thanks for the numbers :)

EDIT: By the way, are that first week sales or LTD?

LTD.

You know, I guess this is a good time to say it, are you subscribed to my TEVS Document?

For those of you not already subscribed, I created a Microsoft Excel Document tracking the sales of Nintendo games almost 5 years ago. Since then, it has expanded into an Excel Document that tracks hardware and software LTDs for ALL systems worldwide {US, Japan, Europe}. It provides charts, numbers, customizable data (you can sort the number from least to greatest, publisher, title, region & more}.

It gets monthly updates via email, and the best part yet: you can get credit too by contributing data.Currently it has over 100 subscibers. It's a free document I email out monthly (or ASAP) to them via an emailed attachment. It's been going on for 3 years now, and with over 100 satisfied members already(with the majority coming from Gaming Age, GameFAQs and Revo-Europe), what could you lose?

And rest assured I try my best to keep the most up-to-date numebrs for all regions with any discrepancies
being noted by subscribers and corrected.

test_account

XP-39C²
LanceStern said:
LTD.

You know, I guess this is a good time to say it, are you subscribed to my TEVS Document?

Ok, thanks :) Nope, i'm not a subscriber, but that thing sounds really good. Where do i sign up?

ccbfan

Just curious, when did Folksoul become Final Fantasy? When did it suddenly get these high expectations that it could beat a Dragon Quest spin off in japan?

Expecting Folksoul to spark major PS3 interest is like expecting Harvest Moon to sell a million on the Wii. Both insanely ridicules.

donny2112

Sage00 said:
Culdcept is not an RPG.

I'm just going by what's on Moor-Angol's site, and it's listed as an RPG there. FolkSoul is listed as an Action Adventure, though.

ccbfan said:
Just curious, when did Folksoul become Final Fantasy? When did it suddenly get these high expectations that it could beat a Dragon Quest spin off in japan?

Expecting Folksoul to spark major PS3 interest is like expecting Harvest Moon to sell a million on the Wii. Both insanely ridicules.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. With the incredibly sparse Japanese lineup, any Japanese-type game for the PS3 is getting hyped up as "Maybe this will be the one."

ccbfan said:

****, I don't know, man. Ask the Sony fan-men who were in here pumping it like it was.

test_account said:
Fair enough, but it seems that most DQ games have done pretty well :) Is there a DQ chart like the ones with Mario and Zelda (graphs with mario and Zelda figures, if you know which i mean)?

There is an impression thread here on NeoGAF. I just read through some posts fast and from what i've read it seems that the game does have replay value.

I can't always trust impressions or reviews about replay. People often say a game is very good with replay because there is always high levels to beat, or 100 trophies hidden to find, or a time attack mode to beat stages, or a chance to go back and read the story a different way with different characters' text.

That doesn't warrant a replay for me.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
test_account said:
It seems that most DQ games have done pretty well tho :) But true, i didnt mean sell like crazy just because its DQ, i know spin-offs can "fail" sometimes. I think some Final Fantasy spin-offs didnt do too well either. Is there a DQ chart like the ones with Mario and Zelda (graphs with mario and Zelda figures, if you know which i mean)?

It's no graph or picture chart, but it's a list.

copied from Ethelred in a different thread:

Code:
Game Name:		Sys:	1st Week:	2nd Week:	3rd Week:	LTD:
DQ Monsters Joker	NDS	633,084 	247,558 	47,689 		1,357,408 
DQ Monsters 2: Cobi	GB	501,081 	159,625 	116,802 	1,253,013
DQ Monsters		GB	333,114  	117,937  	59,360  	1,911,107  
DQ Swords		Wii	302,066						302,066 
DQ Monsters 3		GBA	210,427 	107,719 	64,354 		593,812 
DQ: Young Yangus	PS2 	151,570 	58,648 		39,463 		301,755
DQ Monsters 2: Tara	GB	133,723 	34,882 		31,065 		480,582 
DQ Monsters 1+2		PSX	132,479 	38,927 		22,847 		294,758 
DQ Slime Morimori	GBA	67,797 		33,451 		23,754 		346,299 
DQH: Rocket Slime	NDS	43,995 		31,979 		31,509 		293,970

LanceStern said:
I can't always trust impressions or reviews about replay. People often say a game is very good with replay because there is always high levels to beat, or 100 trophies hidden to find, or a time attack mode to beat stages, or a chance to go back and read the story a different way with different characters' text.

That doesn't warrant a replay for me.
I guess given your extensive history of being aligned with the views of others, we can accept this.

HANNAH MONTANA 2 FOR DS GAME OF THE YEAR 2007 PEOPLE

The M.O.B

ccbfan said:

Final Fantasy isn't even Final Fantasy anymore.

Monk

Banned
I just realised something that just didnt hit me before. Wiifit could possible do for the wii what brain training did for the ds, possible even more. Brain Training has increased the older demographics of the ds:
nintendo-ds-ownership-demographics.png

But Wiifit not only looks to be something that an older person might want (the stepping game seems perfect for the older generation) it has the possibility of attracting younger females with the yoga and strecthing exercises due to it being like a personal trainer and telling you when you are doing it right without the session costs. I cant help but be afraid.

apotema

Ah, the good old days when some people used to think Sudeki was a good game.

Anyway, so now the old people are the new "hardcore gamers"

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
LanceStern said:

Has it outsold Zelda:TP?
I hope not :(

Vinnk

John Harker said:
Has it outsold Zelda:TP?
I hope not :(

Why would that be so bad? Super Paper Mario is a good game in it's own right. It's not like it's being outsold by "Horsez". Now that would be a travesty.

Vinnk

vinnksvillagemed.jpg

"Vinnk's Village" Anecdotal Report

I survived the Typoohn this week (by playing Dragon Quest: Swords) and I have new numbers for you.

This week I was asked to look for: DS, Wii, My Housekeeping Diary, Rockman ZX Advent and, of course, DQ:S. I went Thursday July 19th, 2007:

Jusco
Wii: Sold out
DS lite: 12
My Housekeeping Diary: 3
Dragon Quest Swords: 2

Youme Town
DS lite: 10
My Housekeeping Diary: 4
Dragon Quest Swords: Sold Out

Mr. Max
DS lite: 5
My Housekeeping Diary: Sold out
Dragon Quest Swords: Sold out

Book-Net
DS lite: 9
My Housekeeping Diary: Sold out (or didn’t order it, since it’s kinda an otaku store)

Goody
DS lite: 2
My Housekeeping Diary: None
Dragon Quest Swords: None

Best Denki
DS lite: 15
My Housekeeping Diary: 2

Wanpaku
DS lite: 5
My Housekeeping Diary: 1 (but possibly more in the back)
Dragon Quest Swords: 5

Famicom Dojo
DS lite: 3
My Housekeeping Diary: Sold out

Yamada Denki
DS lite: 11
My Housekeeping Diary: 3

TOTALS:
DS lite: 72 (5 of new colors)
My Housekeeping Diary: 13
Dragon Quest Swords: 11

NOTES:

1. Wii is 100% sold out in my town. Wii is still very supply constrained. Any store that does have them doesn’t have them for long. I think I can copy and paste this statement until after Christmas. Every Wii made is a Wii sold.

2. The new colors of the DS lite are still very rare, but DS lites in general can be found all over. Any one who wants a DS lite can get one. Anyone who wants a certain color may have to wait. Bold statement: the DS lite is no longer supply constrained and probably won’t be until the holidays and Dragon Quest. Nintendo is finally making enough of them.

3. Rockman ZX Advent is not supply constrained, but even if it was I doubt anyone would notice. It is heavily demand constrained. With so many big titles being released, it really got lost in the shuffle. It was at every large store but often required a bit of digging to even find it. No store had posters or displays up for this game. I didn’t even realize it was out. Also, I have seen 2 used copies already.

4. Zelda is still on the shelves. But still seems to be selling very well. I saw my first used copy, but it was only 200 yen cheaper than a new one so there shouldn’t be a big impact from used sales. At least not yet.

5. There were a few copies of Dragon Quest: Swords to be found but compared to the huge stacks that were available last week (one store employee told me he thinks they got around 60 copies) it doesn't look like the supply will last long. Square-Enix better have another shipment in the wings or this title will become supply constrained (it seems that it is already almost sold out in some of the big cities).

6. Still no used Trusty Bell bundles in my town. But I’ll keep checking.

7. Sony is pushing Mina No Golf 5 really hard. Posters, kiosks, flyers, ads, the works. It is being pushed harder (at least in my town) than Dragon Quest: Swords. If this title does not do well, it will be very telling.

Previous Reports:

July 12th, 2007
July 5th, 2007
June 28th, 2007
June 21st, 2007
June 14th, 2007
June 7th, 2007
May 30th, 2007
May 24th, 2007
May 17th, 2007
May 10th, 2007

Top Bottom