• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

coopolon

I don't know about this game. I've only played the first ~5-10 hours of SJ and Nocturne, but this game seems so much ridiculously harder than either of those two games early hours. I just fought the Lvl 3 Naruko spoilers
robed man who summons the two snake like things at the beginning
. It took me a few attacks to find they were weak to agi, so I end up wiping on the first one - fine. But at my level I can only get one demon who has agi - Pele. And she hasn't leveled up up enough to whisper it to me yet. But grinding isn't necessary in SMT games right? So I try again, hitting with everything I've got and healing as best I can but I just don't know what I can do when they can KO one fully healed party member/attack with lunge. I have a few revival beads but I can't keep pace. Edit: Oh, and I'm not weak to any of their attacks. They only get turns when they score criticals - which is somewhat frequently.

Eventually on the fourth or fifth try I beat them, but not because I changed any strategy, I just got lucky with them missing enough.

So what was I doing wrong?

I'm thinking I should drop it to easy, but that just seems like surrendering!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I distribute my stats more or less randomly (I know, I know. Bad move.), but I definitely bias them more or less toward phys. Same way I built my SMT III guy and he kicked ass. So, Team Phys all the way!

I'm going teamPHYS too.

It's kinda my thing for these games.

Added you two to team awesome :)

Dresden
Laughing Banana
Lin Siniang
hosannainexcelsis
Soulhouf
yami4ct
Thoraxes

7 members of TeamPHYS in GAF's SMT IV. Not bad!

Rhodan

Neo Member
So far Pixie was the biggest pain in the ass to recruit so far. Man she's a sociopath.

Yeh but some her dialog is awesome, Leanan Sidhe is too when you encounter her a little later;
(Im paraphrasing)
"Do you think I'm beautiful?"
"Its what's on the inside that counts"
"Oh, then let me rip out your entrails and see"

Ourobolus

Banned
phys? magic? nah it's all about that luck.

really? i was all, "hey babe here's a life stone" now come ride wit me. and she was all "yeah!"

She kept pulling the same shit Chagrin was pulling for the other guys. I actually got Chagrin pretty easily though.

Garland7G

after I finally recruited pixie, the next few times I encountered her, I spanked the grp she was with and she actually surrendered and offered to join me. but since I already had her in my stock she called a random demon and they joined my team. the 1st time it was some dwarf and then the next time it happened some other random demon joined me lol.

GeekyDad

I went into this game really excited for it, wildly anticipating the sequel to nocturne, and upon playing it was greeted by a GO in my third-ish battle without even getting the chance to have a turn due to shit I couldn't control, and I immediately shut it off. I really, really fucking despise the persona style "attack whats on screen to start an encounter" bullshit, but it's only worsened here due to the wonky camera and weird control layout (why in the hell is attack mapped on Y? who in the hell has their hands laying there by default?). When I get ran through in a single turn (at full health) due to press turn deciding it was my turn to have shit roll down hill uncontrollably almost entirely due to getting attacked by an enemy that popped up from offscreen that I couldn't swing the wonky camera around to hit and then fumble with the control layout to hit attack, that's just bad design. I had no chance of actually surviving that encounter no matter what I did (remember, I was at full health), and that's terrible design. I am probably going to shelve it for a bit until I can get myself in the proper mood to deal with some of this game's horseshit.

Fair criticisms, though none of it has bothered me as much as it sounds like it bothers you. It is weird having the attack button mapped to X (not Y). At first, my initial reaction was to always press A. And the enemy avatars on the dungeon maps would be easier to negotiate were they exactly like Persona 3/4 in that you could stealth your way around, but these mobs aggro instantly and quickly. That being said, I feel more of a sense of urgency and dread due to the way enemy aggro is designed, and I like that. I like feeling a true sense of danger when entering a dungeon. With the Persona games, you don't really feel that (unless she says, "I sense Death").

One thing I would recommend, though, is tinkering with the different camera angles (by pressing sideways on the D-pad). I found an angle that worked better for me, allowing me to better judge the distance of mobs as they run up on me.

Minotaur
is so god damned tuned around a MAG based MC. Reorganized everything I had to have two high MAG Bufu nukes and a sturdy healer with Media and Bufu. Everything else was a crap shoot with full Sukukaja and Sukunda not seeming to do much of anything.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Died in the second battle of the game....I feel bad.

I'm dying left and right and I've played a shit ton of SMT games... just a lot to get used to. Not a fan of the "Use play coins to revive stuff as well."

But I'm just getting warmed up... liking the game so far.

Forkball

So what's so special about special fusions?

Also I played the forest part and
killed Issachar. WHERE'S THE NEUTRAL OPTION HUH? Just curious, what happens if you spare him?

daveo42

Banned
This game definitely does zero hand holding early game and does a good job in rewarding those who are constantly prepared for any situation, more so than any other RPG I've played.

I think the only thing I really want are more app points per level. So many apps I have to buy.

daveo42

Banned
I'm on the third training quest in SMT IV and have died three times. That's normal, right?

It appears to be normal. I've died several times. My friend, however, says he's only died once and just finished up the first 3 side quests after the initial training missions. Not sure if I should be amazed by this or ashamed at my own lack of gaming prowess.

eznark

Banned
Is there a way to get out of the dungeon while doing these starting quests? My demons are all dead so I assume I will get wiped if I get into any more fights.

Running into a roadblock against
Medusa
. I can get her to the final critical HP point but she always wipes my entire party by using her special attack three times in a row once that last bit of dialogue plays.

Maybe I just need to just hire a third demon with Zan and just brute force my way through the fight like I did with
Minotaur

First numbered smt game. Love the presentation. Feels oddly like I'm playing yugioh lol.

Will my dudes always be so squishy? I failed a recruiting thing and then the monster decided to 1 hit kill my guy.

Is there any general tips on the recruiting system?

Is it random?

What skill points matter in smt games? Been doing a 3 mag 1 agi 1 luck build atm.

I beat the game back on Sunday, I've been playing the japanese version for most of June.

Damn, the game is awesome, took me about 90 hours to finish (it will be less if you go Chaos or Law). I ended up at the Neutral route, despite leaning towards Chaos route, but I'm glad I did, this route felt so rewarding. And it was no walk in the park either, but I was well prepared (I have played a lot of SMT/DDS/Persona/DeSu/DS), so I didn't have any trouble getting past end-game bosses.

I did struggle a bit with
Beelzebub
because he uses some dirty tactics.
Megidolaon THREE times in a row, how's that?

Bit of advice to newcomers is, when you hit lvl 15-20 you can get some demons with null attributes, so it's a good idea to keep a demon with, let's say, null wind, if your protagonist or other demon is weak to that type of attack. This way, if the enemy uses a hit all spell, like mazan, you don't lose any turns, (the enemy does).

CSX

First numbered smt game. Love the presentation. Feels oddly like I'm playing yugioh lol.

Will my dudes always be so squishy? I failed a recruiting thing and then the monster decided to 1 hit kill my guy.

Is it random?

What skill points matter in smt games? Been doing a 3 mag 1 agi 1 luck build atm.
Best to have a focused build for MC. So keep on doing that for leveling up. And yes recruiting can be random. In fact they can ask a question where EVERY answer pisses them off Lol.

Forkball

Finally got enough lifestones to get the free DLC armor like 7 hours into the game. And I still don't have the pants. Demons love to just rip you off when it comes to life stones.

So this is one of the games i should have my 3ds around on my backpack? Heard the playcoins could be handy for something.

You can use them to pay off Charon to revive you rather than having to pay him Macca. This preempts the "Game Over" screen and brings you immediately back into the gameplay.

NeonZ

Is it random?

I haven't played enough this game to know for sure, but, in most previous games, it was generally kind of random, but not completely random. Generally, there are some answers that specific demon types will prefer, but there's always a chance that even the preferred answer will fail.

I only talked to Charon for the difficulty settings, now I just soft reset. The only reason I see to pay him is if you forgot to save.

My current issue with fusions is that pretty much everything you can make is either amazing (two or three times your level) or pointless. I'm trying to build a party for
--Medusa--
here and everything in the fusion search feels like an unchanged sideways shift, not an upgrade. Maybe it's time to let a few demons go.

EDIT: The Demon stock increase apps are cheap. Yessssssss

A bit curious about this game's economy. Gear for protag seems expensive. is burning macca for recruitment ok?

Also what does the 'cheat' option do in dialogue with demons?

How does recruitment even work? Is it you fill up a hidden happy meter with correct dialogue choices before they join ya?

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Is it random?

After a while you start seeing patterns during the negotiations, so they aren't entirely random.

A bit curious about this game's economy. Gear for protag seems expensive. is burning macca for recruitment ok?

Also what does the 'cheat' option do in dialogue with demons?

How does recruitment even work? Is it you fill up a hidden happy meter with correct dialogue choices before they join ya?

As far as I can tell, if you don't want to give up money/items that the demon asks for and don't want to tell them no/"I don't have it" outright, "cheat" just tries to trick them or something. Maybe some demons types will respond positively to it. I haven't seen anything special happen when I use it.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Is every copy still a launch edition out there or no?

Edit: USA
I'm guessing there won't be regular editions until the second shipment of the game. It's only been officially out for 3 days so if you find a store that has them, it's still going to be the first print edition.

jasonng

Restarted a new game because I went for a jack of all trades build the first time. Now I'm focusing on dex/agi/luck. Working out for me so far but I'm still in the beginnings of the game.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm assuming the more demons I have in my party the less xp I earn after battles as it's an even split, correct?

Also, I've just hit level 10 and I'm unsure how to spend my app points. So far I've spent them on +1 MC skill slot, +1 demon skill slot, and 6 demon party slots. The latter which I regret, I shouldn't have spent that many. So what's the consensus on most worthwhile upgrades this early in the game?

I like that they made the recruiting system kind of obscure and random. That way you don't have a situation where everyone is just looking up the "correct" choices to pick for every demon or whatever. It still sucks when you piss them off and they unleash fury on you, though!

Ourobolus

Banned
I'm assuming the more demons I have in my party the less xp I earn after battles as it's an even split, correct?

Also, I've just hit level 10 and I'm unsure how to spend my app points. So far I've spent them on +1 MC skill slot, +1 demon skill slot, and 6 demon party slots. The latter which I regret, I shouldn't have spent that many. So what's the consensus on most worthwhile upgrades this early in the game?

For me it's been MC skill slots and Demon skill slots. I spent some on Fundraiser, but so far that hasn't been THAT great. I may get the MP-walk skill though.

GeekyDad

Cheat basically rolls a die to fake out the demon. So if a demon wants like 300 macca and you don't want to pay it, you can choose "Cheat" for a chance to not pay it. However, if you fail, the demon attacks you.

You know, if they actually put a rolling-die animation next to the conversation bubble during demon negotiations, I think more folks would get it.

In any case, someone elsewhere mentioned considering the personality/type of demon when doing conversations as a guide rule for how best to answer. You're still going to "roll a die," but at least your odds are likely better.

Top Bottom